PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have some time with a Noveske Gen 3 yet?

Amur
07-19-14, 21:57
They seems to be out in the wild now. I have seen them for sale at rog tac, rainier etc.

I am considering buying a stripped gen III lower. Just wondering if anyone has feedback on the genIII platform in general. Either uppers, lowers or complete rifles.

Thanks,
A

Toddler
07-19-14, 22:17
I've had a gen3 for a couple months, it's nice but I like my gen2 lowers a little better. The only bad thing I can say about the gen3 is the price, I didn't pay that for mine.

TexanInCali
07-19-14, 23:40
Why do you like gen 2 better? I'm looking to buy a Noveske upper for my 2nd AR, but not sure what to get. I'm debating between a Rogue Hunter or a Gen 3 16 or 18 inch. I've seen some gen 2 still around at good prices too.

Kalash9305
07-20-14, 00:23
I have a Rogue Hunter 14.5 Stainless with a 13" NSR set up on a Gen 2 lower and a Geissele SSA.
Damn thing is accurate as all hell and light as a twig.
Sweet bleepin' rifle.
I just picked up a stripped Gen 3 from DSG Arms (for $237 btw :cool:) so now just have to figure out what I'm going to do with it.
Was thinking of sticking a Sig Brace on it and getting a 7.5 Diplomat upper.
Now THAT would be some Noveske fun ... ;)

Toddler
07-20-14, 06:46
Why do you like gen 2 better? I'm looking to buy a Noveske upper for my 2nd AR, but not sure what to get. I'm debating between a Rogue Hunter or a Gen 3 16 or 18 inch. I've seen some gen 2 still around at good prices too.

The machining on my gen2 is a little better than my gen3. The gen2 is forged and $75 dollars cheaper.

TMS951
07-20-14, 18:03
Being that they are "The greatest gun manufacturer ever" according to their web site (how humble of them) I would assume its the greatest gun ever…

Edit to add "valuable" feedback: I don't have a Gen3 so I can not speak from experience. But I can share why I would not purchase one, but would have purchased a Gen2. As has been mentioned the Gen2 was forged. This is no small feat. As dies have to be made and those forgings made out of house. Forging makes a stronger lower, the Gen2 lower was a nice lower with some features like the flared mag well that set it apart from many others.

Noveske makes rifles that are priced above the some of their parts and the quality of their parts. Basically they sell a name for ~500$. On principle this bothers me. Yes, good for them, they sell, so more power to them. However since the value is not there, I would not purchase guns from them, nor recommend them to a friend. I feel there are better choices out there for the price.

While this does not speak to how they function I feel its worth considering when picking a rifle to purchase. I made my initial comment as I think how a company represents themselves should also play into a decision to purchase from them. Since the unfortunate death of John Noveske I have not been a fan of how they market and represent themselves and the choices they have made in their products and prices. Previous employee's have left Noveske in this time frame, maybe for some of the same reason's I posted? They have started their own companies, V7 being one. I feel V7 is very innovative and I like how they represent themselves, their quality and innovation seem on par or above things like the Gen2 lower. The gen3 seems less innovative than the Gen2. and a down grade. Noveske was one of the only companies with a forged lower that greatly differed from other forged lowers on the market. Now that they don't offer it, they don't offer that edge over the competition.

Sorry I could not answer your actual question, but I do think some of my points may be of some interest to some people when purchasing.

PhoPoweR
07-20-14, 18:32
My Gen 3 Light Carbine upper is just as good as my Gen 2 Light Carbine/Afghan uppers.

Amur
07-20-14, 19:16
Being that they are "The greatest gun manufacturer ever" according to their web site (how humble of them) I would assume its the greatest gun ever...

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Seems like you know what you are talking about.

And you complain about people making it more like TOS because they have a Kx5....

Wake27
09-03-14, 04:49
So the Gen II forged lower is really better than their "precision machined" Gen III. I'd be very surprised if they put out a product that's a step backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianb23
09-03-14, 09:39
Being that they are "The greatest gun manufacturer ever" according to their web site (how humble of them) I would assume its the greatest gun ever…

Edit to add "valuable" feedback: I don't have a Gen3 so I can not speak from experience. But I can share why I would not purchase one, but would have purchased a Gen2. As has been mentioned the Gen2 was forged. This is no small feat. As dies have to be made and those forgings made out of house. Forging makes a stronger lower, the Gen2 lower was a nice lower with some features like the flared mag well that set it apart from many others.

Noveske makes rifles that are priced above the some of their parts and the quality of their parts. Basically they sell a name for ~500$. On principle this bothers me. Yes, good for them, they sell, so more power to them. However since the value is not there, I would not purchase guns from them, nor recommend them to a friend. I feel there are better choices out there for the price.

While this does not speak to how they function I feel its worth considering when picking a rifle to purchase. I made my initial comment as I think how a company represents themselves should also play into a decision to purchase from them. Since the unfortunate death of John Noveske I have not been a fan of how they market and represent themselves and the choices they have made in their products and prices. Previous employee's have left Noveske in this time frame, maybe for some of the same reason's I posted? They have started their own companies, V7 being one. I feel V7 is very innovative and I like how they represent themselves, their quality and innovation seem on par or above things like the Gen2 lower. The gen3 seems less innovative than the Gen2. and a down grade. Noveske was one of the only companies with a forged lower that greatly differed from other forged lowers on the market. Now that they don't offer it, they don't offer that edge over the competition.

Sorry I could not answer your actual question, but I do think some of my points may be of some interest to some people when purchasing.

All products that require assembly are priced above the SUM of their parts, you have to pay the wages of the person who puts the thing together. Plus Noveske ' hand fits the rifles' which requires smithing and machining skills that the average Joe doesn't have. Don't confuse assembled rifles with fitted rifles, this is why a Noveske or Wilson Combat etc... carry a premium price.

markm
09-03-14, 10:07
Don't confuse assembled rifles with fitted rifles, this is why a Noveske or Wilson Combat etc... carry a premium price.

ARs should NOT require fitting. If we end up turning the AR into the 1911 Nightmare, I'll switch to a TAVOR or some retarded shit.

Onyx Z
09-03-14, 10:22
ARs should NOT require fitting. If we end up turning the AR into the 1911 Nightmare, I'll switch to a TAVOR or some retarded shit.

How about LWRCi?

markm
09-03-14, 10:46
How about LWRCi?

Both those turds and Olympic Arms are classic examples of "fitted" guns. I'll never forget the Oly goobers complaining that they couldn't switch uppers, and the imbeciles at OLY, in the spirit of their lifetime guarantee would tell them tough shit because that upper was fitted to that lower. :sarcastic:

jerrysimons
09-03-14, 11:26
I am sure the Gen 3s are great guns and are made well, but I too prefer the idea of forged receivers over the new in-house billet stuff. I am the happy owner of three Noveske rifles but I have to tell you I don't plan on another. Not because I am unhappy with them but (besides the fact I have most my AR bases covered) because I see more innovation coming out of other companies with the same quality standards: BCM, KAC, V7WS. I still have my eye on Noveske barrels for future builds though.

I will tell you, if you want a Noveske, the best way to do it is to buy the lower and build it exactly how you want it. Then buy the complete upper from Rog-Tac (nobody beats Mike's prices and CS). This way you get exactly what you want without having to pay for the complete rifle package just to swap parts out of the lower and you still get the assembly perks of a factory upper (headspaced bolt, proper assembly, pinned gas block, etc.).

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?146386-Noveske-Ultralight-(Update)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?150567-The-Noveske-Sisters-Last-of-the-Gen-IIs

Junkie
09-03-14, 12:44
For a given shape, a forging is stronger than the same thing machined from a billet. However, for small scale production a forging is likely to cost more. The setup costs for a forging are fairly high, but then the production costs are relatively low. In comparison, for a lower machined from billet the setup costs are quite a bit lower, but the production cost for each one is higher.

Brianb23
09-03-14, 14:11
Both those turds and Olympic Arms are classic examples of "fitted" guns. I'll never forget the Oly goobers complaining that they couldn't switch uppers, and the imbeciles at OLY, in the spirit of their lifetime guarantee would tell them tough shit because that upper was fitted to that lower. :sarcastic:

http://alamotacticalreviews.com/2014/03/14/so-why-noveske/

I just bought a new Noveske Upper or Lower and it does not fit with any of my current gear. Can I send it in for a factory fit?

Do the pivot/takedown pins fit? If yes, then it fits just fine.* The mil-spec scale is too broad to obtain that “perfect” fit every time between uppers and lowers therefore it cannot be guaranteed.* If it is a little tight or a little loose, the function of your rifle will not be effected.* The only way to obtain that perfect Noveske fit is on a complete factory rifle.*

The first link is a review of the rifles with a letter from Noveske explaining that they are "Hand Fit"
The second statement is from their website under the FAQ page inferring that the are hand fit.

Kalash9305
09-03-14, 17:28
I grabbed a stripped Gen III for $237 from DSG last month
Don't ask me why they had it that low I just saw it online and bought it on the spot.
Anyways I put a phase 5 pistol tube with a Sig Brace, ACT trigger, Colt LPK and matched it with my new Colt CQB 10.3 upper.
It is a ****in' dream lol

ScatmanCrothers
09-03-14, 18:50

Enter Hodge Defense. Keep us updated on how your TAVOR performs.

fifthward
09-03-14, 18:55
Issue 14 of Recoil Mag touches on this in interview with Noveske.
What I got out of the article, on the subject of moving to Gen3 billet lowers, was that the Gen2 forging process was resulting in too many Chainsaws!

Going to to the Gen3 billet process allowed them to bring the manuf. process in house, giving them tighter quality control.

The 13.7" FDE Infidel with KX5 that was covered in the article looked badass - IMO ;)

mig1nc
09-04-14, 07:10
So the Gen II forged lower is really better than their "precision machined" Gen III. I'd be very surprised if they put out a product that's a step backwards.

I've been told the gen 3 fixes some of the mag comparability issues we have in the gen 2. That alone is a good thing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Onyx Z
09-04-14, 08:14
I've been told the gen 3 fixes some of the mag comparability issues we have in the gen 2. That alone is a good thing.

The mag issues were only in the early Gen2 lowers. My Gen2 lower drops everything just fine.

The real reason (straight from the Noveske) is for tighter QC. They were having too many blems coming in.

Wake27
09-04-14, 11:01
The mag issues were only in the early Gen2 lowers. My Gen2 lower drops everything just fine.

The real reason (straight from the Noveske) is for tighter QC. They were having too many blems coming in.

That issue was more about gen III PMAGs not inserting fully, not drop free issues. But yes, that was supposedly only in the earlier ones like mine.

jerrysimons
09-04-14, 11:50
The decision for Gen 3 lowers has nothing to do with the early Gen 2 lower compatibility issue with Pmag Gen 3 over-insertion tabs. The Gen 2 lowers were modified during production to allow for the larger over-insertion tab, both of my G2 lowers run G3 Pmags just fine.

The G3 lowers are about business and QC.
Mr. Noveske set out on a ballsy task of sourcing custom forgings for his flared lower design, not an easy thing to do, but he did it, and I loved it! Nobody else was doing it (save KAC) and he pulled it off. Everybody and their mother have been cutting custom receivers out of billet for a long time, so the move to billet for G3s dampened my enthusiasm over Noveske receivers. Are they less strong? I don't know and am not really qualified to say. For a given material, size and shape, machined forging is supposedly stronger than machined billet. So perhaps the G2s are stronger, but rarely are "all other things equal." If Gen 3s are technically less strong, surely they are sufficiently strong to function as a reliable lower. But that is not so much the loss in my mind, it was about standing out in front of the industry.

mig1nc
09-04-14, 17:46
I believe the gen3 were also supposed to be compatible with surefire mags which even the later gen2 were not.