PDA

View Full Version : Issue with gun holsters and belts - SOLVED

CubsJeff69
07-20-14, 02:37
This post contains detailed information about the problems I was having with finding a belt for CCW carry and holsters. It is a LONG post, but I have taken a LOT of time to provide very good information in hopes others may find my research useful.

First, I tried the suggestions of a "gun belt", which solved the problem but created another BIG one. The problem I have with them is they REALLY hurt my lower back and hips after a few hours. My back and especially lower lumbar, is very easy to start hurting which is why I have an expensive Herman Miller office chair. So, some of the "gun belts" are made with the plastic or sometimes metal inserts to make them VERY rigid. Since I work most of the day at a desk, this was going to send me to the Doctor in no time if I used them. So, I sent all the "gun belts" back I tried.

Second, I had tried all the tips about breaking in a leather holster and even got some Galco Draw-Ez. This made the holster work fine and had a smooth draw, but ONLY when it was NOT on a belt. The moment I put the Galco or some other leather holsters on my belt, even the "gun belts", it would instantly make the gun go back to having a very stiff draw. Also, I noticed not every time with the Galco did the holster seat the gun back in properly by any means. The Kydex Safariland GLS holster worked PERFECT with any of the "gun belts" and solved that holster problem.

So, I was left wondering what solution I could find and surely others out there have had issues too and I wasn't the only person that couldn't wear a "gun belt" due to back problems. Well, it was not as common as I thought and hardly no one knew what to do or where to turn next. That's when I found an EXCELLENT leather smith that custom makes leather belts and holsters that are MUCH better quality than the mass produced stuff. He was very nice and spoke with me in person for some time about what my needs were. They are a family owned business and make each order by hand! When I explained my situation with finding a holster and why "gun belts" were a problem, he came up with a viable solution. A custom belt can be made without any inserts, what they can do is custom make it with different soft leathers and double layer the belt for gun use. After speaking for a while he knew exactly what I needed and said they could make a very good belt however I wanted it for dress, casual, style, color, etc. that would work. Of course, it's going to cost for something hand made, but it would be the perfect solution.

Lead times were quite long as they have 300 back orders. He sent me to another site that was recommended to try and was similar to what he does. That's how nice he is, had a back log of orders and thought I may need something sooner. I was sent to Bullhidebelts.com and got one of their "Bullhide" belts which is like what he can custom make, just a little different. So far so good and I am going to post more later once I have worn it for a while with my back results.

Last, but not least, he explained what was happening with my leather holsters. Mainly it has to do with how they are made, poor construction, mass produced, etc. The reason I was having trouble with the Galco leather holsters and the others even when wearing on a gun belt, was due to the holster being pulled and deformed by my belt. I am a fairly thin and toned person with no hips to speak of. I have to pull all belts fairly tight, when pulled tight, the leather would bend causing it to give in certain places of the leather, thus creating the hard draw. It also made the holster near impossible to get the gun back in since the tightness was deforming the holster. If the belt was loosened, the holster would NOT deform, but you couldn't get a draw because it was not tight enough around my waist to do so. Therefore, both problems were an issue that could not be solved how they were regardless of gun belt or not. This is why a custom made double layered leather belt is what is needed that is going to solve my issues. The Safariland GLS holster does NOT give or deform when tight or loose, which is why it DID work with a "gun belt".

Hope this info helps others, I never knew what to do or how to fix the problems until now. Good luck