PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with winter weather prowess want to come join us?

Belmont31R
07-21-14, 21:42
Since we southern folk get laughed at in the winter any northern folk want to come sit out here? It's only a heat index of 105 if you aren't over pavement like a parking lot or road. I mean a heat index of 110 like we'll have tomorrow is cool right?

And next month will be hotter and Sep can bring base temps of 110+. Forget the 'feels like' crap.

:-)

Grizzly16
07-22-14, 07:42
Since we southern folk get laughed at in the winter any northern folk want to come sit out here? It's only a heat index of 105 if you aren't over pavement like a parking lot or road. I mean a heat index of 110 like we'll have tomorrow is cool right?

And next month will be hotter and Sep can bring base temps of 110+. Forget the 'feels like' crap.

:-)
Lets do this thing!

Been kind of boring around here. Maybe 2 days over 100 so far and some highs in the low 70s last week. Central Ark has been a let down for heat related suckage.

hatidua
07-22-14, 10:32
We get well below zero here in Winter and frequently above 100* in Summer - no need to travel!

Ryno12
07-22-14, 10:49
In addition to our winters, I'd wager a bet that you wouldn't be able to handle our heat up here (WI) either. I have relation down in TX and have spent plenty of time in your 110° heat. It feels like our 85°. It's nowhere comparable to our heat/humidity.
You guys are just pussies, that's all. :D

(All in jest... mostly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.62WildBill
07-22-14, 11:18
In addition to our winters, I'd wager a bet that you wouldn't be about to handle our heat up here (WI) either. I have relation down in TX and have spent plenty of time in your 110° heat. It feels like our 85°. It's nowhere comparable to our heat/humidity.

(All in jest... mostly)

I spent several summers in WI as a kid; you don't know what humidity is.

I think the humidity is around 278% today in NC.

BIGUGLY
07-22-14, 12:05
105 sounds nice, when ours was 90 with a heat index of 100 and 90% humidity. the dry heat is hot but without the humidity feels better than up here.

brickboy240
07-22-14, 13:06
I'd rather just put up with a few months of heat and humidity and have our winters rather than put up with snow and the bitter cold for many months like they have up north.

-brickboy240

Zane1844
07-22-14, 13:19
In addition to our winters, I'd wager a bet that you wouldn't be able to handle our heat up here (WI) either. I have relation down in TX and have spent plenty of time in your 110° heat. It feels like our 85°. It's nowhere comparable to our heat/humidity.

(All in jest... mostly)

This is truth. This my first summer here in WI, and I have spent summers in Nevada, Arizona, and Southern California deserts, and it is worse here. Today it is suppose to be 90 with high humidity. You can swim in the air..

I think it will start to rain inside my factory.

I am looking forward for Fall then Winter.

Eurodriver
07-22-14, 13:25

(All in jest... mostly)

I know this is in "jest", but I get this a lot (from tourists visiting our Florida beaches in February) and not only is it annoying, it needs clarification:

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/WI/Madison.html

Dew Point. Dew point will **** your life up. Humidity, while relevant, isn't that big of a deal to anyone except northern people saying their summers are "just as hot as..."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/2002-12-01-answers-dp-relhum_x.htm

Q: Is dew point or relative humidity a better indication of how humid the air feels? My guess is it's relative humidity. Also is there much variation between the dew point temperature from day to day?

A: Dew point is by far the better measurement of how humid the air feels.

What's the dew point in Madison Wisconsin today? 65*F. Your low temperature yesterday was 61*F. What's the dew point here? 77*F. Our low temperature? 82*F. Sample size of one day, sure. But find me a day when your dew point is over 70*F and I'll slap myself silly. It just doesn't happen up there, and even if it does you won't experience it for six months straight. May-October highs are above 90* with ridiculous dew points. There is a reason why no one lived here before air conditioning and why your grandparents still only live here 6 months out of the year. Even riding a motorcycle in a t-shirt at midnight doing a constant 60mph will still result in you getting home with sweat stains and needing a shower.

(All in jest, mostly. I can't speak for TX)

Ryno12
07-22-14, 13:36
I know this is in "jest", but I get this a lot (from tourists visiting our Florida beaches in February) and not only is it annoying, it needs clarification:

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/WI/Madison.html

Dew Point. Dew point will **** your life up. Humidity, while relevant, isn't that big of a deal to anyone except northern people saying their summers are "just as hot as..."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/2002-12-01-answers-dp-relhum_x.htm

Q: Is dew point or relative humidity a better indication of how humid the air feels? My guess is it's relative humidity. Also is there much variation between the dew point temperature from day to day?

A: Dew point is by far the better measurement of how humid the air feels.

What's the dew point in Madison Wisconsin today? 65*F. Your low temperature yesterday was 61*F. What's the dew point here? 77*F. Our low temperature? 82*F. Sample size of one day, sure. But find me a day when your dew point is over 70*F and I'll slap myself silly. It just doesn't happen up there, and even if it does you won't experience it for six months straight. May-October highs are above 90* with ridiculous dew points. There is a reason why no one lived here before air conditioning and why your grandparents still only live here 6 months out of the year. Even riding a motorcycle in a t-shirt at midnight doing a constant 60mph will still result in you getting home with sweat stains and needing a shower.

(All in jest, mostly. I can't speak for TX)

Not sure about Madison, I stay as far away from there as possible.

As far as dew point goes, HVAC is part of my profession & I'm well versed. I used the humidity thing as most people not in the profession always say "it's not the heat so much as is it's the gosh, darn humidity..."
But thanks for the attempt at the education. I'm sure others will find it interesting.

Eurodriver
07-22-14, 13:43
Not sure about Madison, I stay as far away from there as possible.

What do you have against Madison? Tons of sorostitutes.

Ryno12
07-22-14, 13:45
What do you have against Madison? Tons of sorostitutes.

Nice dig but it all makes sense now.

Eurodriver
07-22-14, 16:31
Think you misunderstood me. It was all in good fun. Pm sent.

Ryno12
07-22-14, 17:06
I probably did, sorry. It's a hot ****er up here today & I'm getting ornery.

Eurodriver
07-22-14, 17:40
I probably did, sorry. It's a hot ****er up here today & I'm getting ornery.

No worries! It'll cool off in a few weeks for autumn ;)

C-grunt
07-23-14, 03:03
It was 115 when I left the gym today. Last year we hit 119 a few times.

Having lived in Georgia and Alabama I've lived in humidity. It does suck, especially since you can't get away from it. Our dry heat just bakes you.

GTF425
07-23-14, 04:21
102 in beautiful Afghanistan today.

ETA: Apparently, it's 106 with a 111 degree "Real feel" according to accuweather. After growing up in Tennessee/North Carolina/Georgia and being stationed in Alaska for 4 years, I'd much rather have the heat than the cold.

ThirdWatcher
07-23-14, 05:25
I'd rather just put up with a few months of heat and humidity and have our winters rather than put up with snow and the bitter cold for many months like they have up north.

-brickboy240

I know what you mean (as I grew up in DFW) but there are things you can do to minimize the inconvenience of the cold (like buy Gore-Tex & Thinsulate and drive a 4X4 truck). You can acclimate to anything, given enough time. :)

Alex V
07-23-14, 07:46
Is there any place that can just be 65F in the day and 45F at night all year 'round? That would be so awesome!

It was only about 89F in NJ yesterday and I was miserable. I would so much rather it be 30 over 90, I just hate the heat. I am okay with mid 80's when I'm on the beach in swim trunks, but getting into a hot car in dress cloths is just miserable until the AC catches up.

Austin in Nov was awesome... I would kill myself in August I think...

Vic303
07-23-14, 08:03
It's been a fun week here in NTX with no working central air. Temps over 90*F and humidity the same. And three more days to go until the AC gets replaced.

skijunkie55
07-23-14, 08:33
Is there any place that can just be 65F in the day and 45F at night all year 'round? That would be so awesome!

It was only about 89F in NJ yesterday and I was miserable. I would so much rather it be 30 over 90, I just hate the heat. I am okay with mid 80's when I'm on the beach in swim trunks, but getting into a hot car in dress cloths is just miserable until the AC catches up.

Austin in Nov was awesome... I would kill myself in August I think...

We have had a phenomenal summer so far in western MI. Mid to High 70's for the most part (this week did reach 90), low 60's at night. Humidity hasn't been terrible and the bugs are almost non existent right now. It helps to have one of the largest bodies of freshwater in the world act as a buffer to the crazy weather the rest of the country gets.

I would much rather have a polar vortex than a month long heatwave.

brickboy240
07-23-14, 10:38
I'd rather deal with sweating a little from June through September and have a no snow/very mild winter than have an 80 degree 3 month summer and have to dig my car out of snow and wear jackets until after Easter.

If you ask me...cold is much more of a pain in the ass than hot. Having to bundle up like mad just to walk the dog or get the mail is a pain.

Around here...yeah...you sweat from June until September but man...fall, winter and spring in Texas can be damn nice. Playing tennis in short sleeves in November and riding my motorcycle in shorts in March....try that in MI or MN at that time! LOL

-brickboy240

Moose-Knuckle
07-23-14, 15:26
Now that is actually HOT down here, hopefully this will have dire effects on the illegal aliens making their way up through the Mexican deserts to invade our nation.

Eurodriver
07-23-14, 15:29
We have had a phenomenal summer so far in western MI. Mid to High 70's for the most part (this week did reach 90), low 60's at night. Humidity hasn't been terrible and the bugs are almost non existent right now. It helps to have one of the largest bodies of freshwater in the world act as a buffer to the crazy weather the rest of the country gets.

I would much rather have a polar vortex than a month long heatwave.
Really? Think about the hassle of snow, ice, etc. You'd take that over a "heatwave"? (Aka Mid 90s and sub 70* dew points. Ooooo).

Perfect weather for me is 90* highs and 75* lows with a low dew point. Get rid of that sticky, muggy air and the heat feels great.

skijunkie55
07-23-14, 16:20
Really? Think about the hassle of snow, ice, etc. You'd take that over a "heatwave"? (Aka Mid 90s and sub 70* dew points. Ooooo).

Perfect weather for me is 90* highs and 75* lows with a low dew point. Get rid of that sticky, muggy air and the heat feels great.

Heck yeah man. I love the snow. Don't mind shoveling / snowblowing at all. Driving is a pain only because I have to kick the jeep in 4HI to run over the people camping in my lane... I do try to get at least 30 days a year on the ski slopes as well.
I get my shorts and t-shirts out when it hits 50 degrees and sunny in April. Golfing with snow still on the course in not uncommon...

I do like the dry heat though. There are just so few places to enjoy it (that I would actually want to spend extended periods of time in.)
Spent 2 years in TN. Getting swamp crotch the second you walk outside? Ain't nobody got time for that.