PDA

View Full Version : Laws In Pennsylvania

MistWolf
07-22-14, 08:25
The place I worked at has closed it's doors and I need to be Coatesville Pennsylvania bright & early Monday morning for a new job. Any crazy gun laws I should be aware of? Anything affecting AR pistols? I currently have no NFA items.

Thanks

Voodoo_Man
07-22-14, 08:52
PA is pretty good.

As long as you have a CCW you can conceal carry and transport firearms. AR pistols cannot be loaded however, unless you are a LEO. So keep the pistol unloaded. Otherwise you should be good. Open carry is legal, with restrictions to schools, certain areas and courts. You need not have a CCW to OC but do need one to transport a firearm from one place to another. (Unless to range, etc)

MistWolf
07-22-14, 13:12
Does a Washington State CCW count?

DreadPirateMoyer
07-22-14, 13:26
PA is pretty good.

As long as you have a CCW you can conceal carry and transport firearms. AR pistols cannot be loaded however, unless you are a LEO. So keep the pistol unloaded. Otherwise you should be good. Open carry is legal, with restrictions to schools, certain areas and courts. You need not have a CCW to OC but do need one to transport a firearm from one place to another. (Unless to range, etc)

Not true at all on most counts.

If you have a PA LTCF (license to carry firearms), you can conceal and/or transport any loaded non long-gun, and can transport unloaded long guns. You can carry anywhere except courts, schools, and federal property (even other government buildings, bars, and in Philadelphia). If you have an out-of-state license/permit that is reciprocated in PA, it counts the same as a PA LTCF and you don't have to worry about any other laws. Open carry without a license is also legal everywhere in PA except Philadelphia, where it requires a license/permit (though transport is still an issue; don't OC while driving without a license). Essentially, you can open carry almost everywhere without a license except Philly, and you can concealed/open carry almost everywhere with a license except courts, schools, and federal property. It's pretty simple.

If you don't have a license or reciprocated license/permit, PM me for a few of the nuances on transport/carry.

An AR pistol is still a pistol, and so long as it's under 26" in overall length, you may carry it as if it were a pistol (loaded, concealed, whatever). It doesn't have to be kept unloaded, there is no weird LEO exemption, and it's treated just like any other handgun by state law. There's no statutory language about AR pistols, and I'm not sure where Voodoo got his info on this one.

PA also has state pre-emption, and our gun laws (especially with regards to concealed carry) are top 10 in the nation, so don't worry about running afoul of local ordinances or having to change transport at county lines. You're good to go anywhere in the state on everything except the Philadelphia exception to OC without a license.

Voodoo_Man
07-22-14, 13:29
Does a Washington State CCW count?

I believe PA does not honor WA state permits.

So....either dont carry or if your gana be a resident get one.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-22-14, 13:32
I believe PA does not honor WA state permits.

So....either dont carry or if your gana be a resident get one.

True: http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/concealed-carry/reciprocity

With this info in hand, I would recommend not carrying guns with you. That said, you can apply for an out of state license while in PA.

CoryCop25
07-22-14, 13:32
As far as I know you can now open carry in Philly.
Coatsville is a shit hole so keep your head on a swivel.
A new law in PA requires a permit from your HOME STATE. So in PA, your carry permit has to be the same state as your driver's license.
There is a web site, I think it's www.usacarry.com that will tell you what states allow other state's permits.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-22-14, 13:41
USAcarry has outdated information. I would avoid using it as a resource.

PAFOA is better, especially the forums themselves.

CoryCop25
07-22-14, 13:50
PAFOA is better, especially the forums themselves.

I'm banned for life.....
I lost a whole lot of sleep over it.... :rolleyes:

Voodoo_Man
07-22-14, 14:26
I'm banned for life.....
I lost a whole lot of sleep over it.... :rolleyes:

Of course you are banned, you have a badge and therefore a horrible person, according to then, lol.

no OC without a permit in phila.

MistWolf
07-22-14, 15:18
Ok, if PA doesn't reciporcate WA (and currently WA is not my home state) what do I need to watch out for?

What happens if an AR pistol is over 26 inches long? Mine is 29 counting flash supressor

CoryCop25
07-22-14, 15:30
no OC without a permit in phila.

OK, so you can OC but need a permit. Copy

CoryCop25
07-22-14, 15:33
Ok, if PA doesn't reciporcate WA (and currently WA is not my home state) what do I need to watch out for?

What happens if an AR pistol is over 26 inches long? Mine is 29 counting flash supressor

Just keep it unloaded with ammo somewhere else. PA doesn't really care what kind of gun you have. If you are moving to PA, get a driver's license and apply for a permit at your County Courthouse and you should have it in 45 days.

Voodoo_Man
07-22-14, 15:39
Just keep it unloaded with ammo somewhere else. PA doesn't really care what kind of gun you have. If you are moving to PA, get a driver's license and apply for a permit at your County Courthouse and you should have it in 45 days.

"Unloaded, secure and not stored with ammo."

Is how it should be.

BoringGuy45
07-22-14, 15:45

Make sure if you're driving and you have a gun in the car, it's unloaded and locked up. Even if it's openly on your hip, the car is considered concealment and you can get hooked up for that if you don't have a CCW. Both resident and non-resident permits are shall issue and only about $20. You get it through the sheriff's office. If you're going to be living in Chester County, the sheriff there is very pro-gun and getting your permit quickly shouldn't be a problem. Honestly, it was harder for me to get my driver's license than it was to get my CCW.

PA is very gun friendly, with maybe the exceptions of Philly and its suburbs. The liquor laws and hunting laws are a little weird, and our DMV is among the worst, but the 2nd Amendment is alive and well and has survived some very anti-gun governors unscathed. The PAFOA would have you believe that we're going to make California's laws look like Arizona's by years' end when Tom Wolf gets elected, but most of the people here are either pro-gun or simply don't have a problem with guns. We're one of the last remaining bastions of 2nd Amendment freedom in the Northeast.

Voodoo_Man
07-22-14, 15:51
Make sure if you're driving and you have a gun in the car, it's unloaded and locked up. Even if it's openly on your hip, the car is considered concealment and you can get hooked up for that if you don't have a CCW. Both resident and non-resident permits are shall issue and only about $20. You get it through the sheriff's office. If you're going to be living in Chester County, the sheriff there is very pro-gun and getting your permit quickly shouldn't be a problem. Honestly, it was harder for me to get my driver's license than it was to get my CCW.

PA is very gun friendly, with maybe the exceptions of Philly and its suburbs. The liquor laws and hunting laws are a little weird, and our DMV is among the worst, but the 2nd Amendment is alive and well and has survived some very anti-gun governors unscathed. The PAFOA would have you believe that we're going to make California's laws look like Arizona's by years' end when Tom Wolf gets elected, but most of the people here are either pro-gun or simply don't have a problem with guns. We're one of the last remaining bastions of 2nd Amendment freedom in the Northeast.

That's not written in stone....

Ick
07-22-14, 16:00
Not true at all on most counts.

If you have a PA LTCF (license to carry firearms), you can conceal and/or transport any loaded non long-gun, and can transport unloaded long guns. You can carry anywhere except courts, schools, and federal property (even other government buildings, bars, and in Philadelphia). If you have an out-of-state license/permit that is reciprocated in PA, it counts the same as a PA LTCF and you don't have to worry about any other laws. Open carry without a license is also legal everywhere in PA except Philadelphia, where it requires a license/permit (though transport is still an issue; don't OC while driving without a license). Essentially, you can open carry almost everywhere without a license except Philly, and you can concealed/open carry almost everywhere with a license except courts, schools, and federal property. It's pretty simple.

If you don't have a license or reciprocated license/permit, PM me for a few of the nuances on transport/carry.

An AR pistol is still a pistol, and so long as it's under 26" in overall length, you may carry it as if it were a pistol (loaded, concealed, whatever). It doesn't have to be kept unloaded, there is no weird LEO exemption, and it's treated just like any other handgun by state law. There's no statutory language about AR pistols, and I'm not sure where Voodoo got his info on this one.

PA also has state pre-emption, and our gun laws (especially with regards to concealed carry) are top 10 in the nation, so don't worry about running afoul of local ordinances or having to change transport at county lines. You're good to go anywhere in the state on everything except the Philadelphia exception to OC without a license.

Live in PA here. This is accurate. Get a CCW ASAP to clean up any possible problems.

Never heard of the "AR pistol must be unloaded" rule. Would love to see where this idea came from. That claim doesn't sound right to me at all.

CoryCop25
07-22-14, 16:08
"Unloaded, secure and not stored with ammo."

Is how it should be.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Give me a break, lots of night work, not enough sleep!

Inkslinger
07-22-14, 16:10
The place I worked at has closed it's doors and I need to be Coatesville Pennsylvania bright & early Monday morning for a new job. Any crazy gun laws I should be aware of? Anything affecting AR pistols? I currently have no NFA items.

Thanks

If you're in Coatesville, carry as many guns as you can. I grew up in and around Coatesville. It's a shit hole. Good luck to you. Besides that, PA is a pretty gun friendly state.

ETA: That sounded harsh. The city of Coatesville is the shit hole. Coatesville is a big area though. The outlying areas are typical suburban/country.

Inkslinger
07-22-14, 16:16
Live in PA here. This is accurate. Get a CCW ASAP to clean up any possible problems.

Never heard of the "AR pistol must be unloaded" rule. Would love to see where this idea came from. That claim doesn't sound right to me at all.

If it's a "pistol" I would imagine it fall under the definition of firearm as pertaining to the CCW. So if you don't have a CCW, it's probably a no no. SBR's are perfectly fine to carry loaded with CCW.

Voodoo_Man
07-22-14, 16:30

Mistype on my part, meant AR's in general, but typed AR pistol, my apologies was thinking about what the OP posted.

Rifles cannot be loaded.

I'd also recommend that you have the code printed out with the explanation for why a pistol in rifle caliber can be loaded. Not all LEO's care to know the difference, "a rifle is a rifle" regardless of size or caliber, so if you get stopped by the wrong LEO and you might have some legal issues in your future.

Not saying its correct or you will lose in court, just saying it can happen.

Ick
07-22-14, 16:40
Whew! I thought I was uninformed and wanted to get to the bottom of that right away.

TommyG
07-22-14, 20:34
And...welcome to PA. Always good to hear when good folks move in.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-23-14, 00:45
Mistwolf: in PA, concealed carry is limited to "firearms", which are legally defined by a few characteristics, one of which is being less than 26" in length. If it's over 26", it's not considered a firearm (dumb, but don't let the terminology confuse you) and thus cannot be carried concealed. The same goes for SBRs: can be carry concealed IF SHORTER THAN 26" OAL, which is pretty rare for an SBR in my experience.

Also, DO NOT transport your gun here if you don't have a license or reciprocal permit. People stating above that simply driving around with an unloaded gun in your car is OK are misleading you and are wrong. Without a license/permit, transport in PA has some whacky restrictions that could get you in major trouble. It's our greatest weakness in terms of our otherwise-awesome carry laws. You simply can't transport your gun around without a license except for a few exceptions. Fall outside those exceptions (easy to do) and you're screwed.

As for the PAFOA bashing, with the bad information being given in this thread, it doesn't surprise me that many of you aren't members. And as for scoffing at Tom Wolf's inevitable election, if you haven't learned anything from Colorado's recent plight, you haven't learned anything at all. Tom Wolf is a huge existential threat to PA gun rights. Any D governor is.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-23-14, 00:57
Honestly, you'd be better off getting your information from PAFOA itself, Mistwolf: http://forum.pafoa.org/

Our laws are very good except for a few key weaknesses: we don't recognize all out-of-state licenses/permits, our transport laws if you don't have a license/permit are very restrictive, and you have to go through an FFL to transfer a pistol. Some of our hunting laws are also whacky due to a huge fudd population (no semi-autos, for example), but otherwise, our gun laws are Grade A prime beef: NFA-legal, state pre-emption, no AWB of any sort, lots of pro-gun Sheriffs, and a surprisingly-high population of pro-gun democrats in the legislature as well. It's a great state.

Are you moving here or visiting? If you're moving, most of the problems in this thread disappear by getting a License to Carry Firearms, which is a shall-issue process and is super simple to acquire. It's harder to buy a cell phone in PA than get a LTCF. If you're just visiting, I'd recommend getting a non-resident LTCF, which functions identically to a resident LTCF for all purposes of carry and such.

jpmuscle
07-23-14, 03:25
Really quick, any of you gents live in around Butler county? I lived near Hilliard for a couple years when I was in my teens.

Inkslinger
07-23-14, 05:18
Rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches"OR"(not "with") a rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches. Call me crazy, but my 11.5" SBR only has to meet one of those criteria, not both.

Specifically,
""Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable."

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/PA/18/II/G/61/A/6102/definitions/

Honestly, you'd be better off getting your information from PAFOA itself, Mistwolf: http://forum.pafoa.org/

Our laws are very good except for a few key weaknesses: we don't recognize all out-of-state licenses/permits, our transport laws if you don't have a license/permit are very restrictive, and you have to go through an FFL to transfer a pistol. Some of our hunting laws are also whacky due to a huge fudd population (no semi-autos, for example), but otherwise, our gun laws are Grade A prime beef: NFA-legal, state pre-emption, no AWB of any sort, lots of pro-gun Sheriffs, and a surprisingly-high population of pro-gun democrats in the legislature as well. It's a great state.

Are you moving here or visiting? If you're moving, most of the problems in this thread disappear by getting a License to Carry Firearms, which is a shall-issue process and is super simple to acquire. It's harder to buy a cell phone in PA than get a LTCF. If you're just visiting, I'd recommend getting a non-resident LTCF, which functions identically to a resident LTCF for all purposes of carry and such.

Mr. Clean
07-23-14, 10:12
As long as we are talking PA Laws ... I have a current PA Non-Resident LTC that I originally got through the mail from Sheriff Nau in Centre County. I need to renew sometime this August.

Does anyone know if Sheriff Lotwick in Dauphin County is Non-Resident renewal friendly? Or any other counties around Hershey Park? Figured if I have to drive to renew in person ... might as well make it a family trip.

Inkslinger
07-28-14, 17:50
Well Mistwolf, what do you think of "da ville"

Nra-Life-Member
08-01-14, 21:15
Any Sheriff's office can renew for you. Some offices have remote stations, outside of the county courthouse. Check websites or call the Sheriffs office and ask. My understanding is permits must be done in person. I also think UTAH offers a permit that is valid in PA and you can apply via US Mail.

platoonDaddy
08-02-14, 20:05
Any Sheriff's office can renew for you. Some offices have remote stations, outside of the county courthouse. Check websites or call the Sheriffs office and ask. My understanding is permits must be done in person. I also think UTAH offers a permit that is valid in PA and you can apply via US Mail.

Thanks to the AG witch from Phila, PA no longer recognizes Utah & Florida non-resident permits. PA House bill 2398 recognizes all nonresident carry licenses, hopefully when the budget impasse is resolved, this bill will pass.

Bill introduced BY SACCONE, BLOOM, DUNBAR, C. HARRIS, KAUFFMAN, METCALFE, SWANGER, SANKEY AND GABLER. Thank you!

As my granddaddy would say "frig Kane'!

Edit: forgot link to the bill: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2013&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=2398&pn=3919

MistWolf
08-05-14, 10:38
I like Pennsylvania, except the part where my GPS gets lost (when it works), there are no mountains to navigate by combined with the crazy road system I'm continually lost. First paycheck, I'm getting a better set of maps! The back country roads make for beautiful drives. It's also more humid than this die-hard desert coyote is used to but I knew that going into this gig.

I like the over all small village feel of this part of the state. Some warned Coatesville has it's rough parts, but it's not a patch compared to a couple of places I've lived. That said, I'm currently staying in Wilmington Delaware in a house owned by one of the mechanic working at Sikorsky. The rent is low enough to make the drive worth it, although it feels strange to work in one state and stay in another. The plan is to make enough money to get the motorhome ready for a cross country trip, fly back to Utah to pick up the RV and the wife and drive back out here so we've got our own place to live in.

I've visited Targetmaster in Chadds Ford and they've got a good amount of ammo in the most popular calibers for decent prices. They've also got wide variety of rentals to choose from including full auto. I know what I'm gonna be doing when I get a little Mad Money :)

Is there an M4c shooting group in the area? Any of you guys wanna get together and do some shooting? Got any recommendations for gunshops I should visit? Places to shoot? Good places to eat? I've been to the Dog House- good hotdogs

Inkslinger
08-05-14, 18:44
Yeah, PA. is pretty. Wait till the fall when the leaves change. I don't know of any PA M4C group. Most of my shooting is done at a friends farm or up north aways on some public lands, or a quick stop at the public range if I need to test something out. One of these days I actually need to join a gun range!

As far as places to eat. Since you mention hotdogs, check out Jimmy Johns on 322 outside of west chester. Hell, west chester in general is a great town to go to. Also a favorite of mine, The Whip Tavern outside of Coatesville. Little English style pub out in horse country. Also if you like bluegrass music, there's The Old Fiddlers Picnic at Hibernia Park this Saturday. Right outside of Coatesville. From 10:00-4 $5 a carload.

Kain
08-05-14, 18:57
Would be interesting to set up a M4C PA group. Share information as to good ranges, stores, ect. I know several mom and pop eateries that are quite tasty.

Inkslinger
08-05-14, 19:11
Would be interesting to set up a M4C PA group. Share information as to good ranges, stores, ect. I know several mom and pop eateries that are quite tasty.

I always toyed with the idea of trying to put together a group and try to lease some land in berks co. for shooting. Berks is almost like upstate PA. very rural, lots of open space. Find a large property that could be set up with a small range and basically pay a yearly rent to use it. Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and set on up.

Kain
08-05-14, 19:16
I always toyed with the idea of trying to put together a group and try to lease some land in berks co. for shooting. Berks is almost like upstate PA. very rural, lots of open space. Find a large property that could be set up with a small range and basically pay a yearly rent to use it. Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and set on up.

Shit, in Berks county you could probably find a range for a monthly, bi-monthly, or whatever meeting for like minds for less than $40 a year per person. I live like less than 20 minutes from half a dozen shoot ranges, though I think only one would be the type that most of us here are looking for. The rifle/pistol range I frequent I am only really a member because it is close, cheap, outdoors, and allows me ease of zeroing my rifles and target practice.

Inkslinger
08-05-14, 19:38
Shit, in Berks county you could probably find a range for a monthly, bi-monthly, or whatever meeting for like minds for less than $40 a year per person. I live like less than 20 minutes from half a dozen shoot ranges, though I think only one would be the type that most of us here are looking for. The rifle/pistol range I frequent I am only really a member because it is close, cheap, outdoors, and allows me ease of zeroing my rifles and target practice.

That's that's just it, most are a no go for any type of practical shooting. I'm in the same boat. There are 4 clubs within 10-15 mins of me and I'm not a member of any of them. I don't have a rifle I need to sight in for hunting season, I don't shoot skeet, and I'm not looking to fire a .22 off a bench all day. Multiple targets, shooting on the move, barricades?!?! Forget about it...! The best option is the New Holland Rifle & Pistol club. Their membership is fairly steep and there are mandatory work days, and lots of people there. The last makes me a little nervous.

Kain
08-05-14, 19:43
That's that's just it, most are a no go for any type of practical shooting. I'm in the same boat. There are 4 clubs within 10-15 mins of me and I'm not a member of any of them. I don't have a rifle I need to sight in for hunting season, I don't shoot skeet, and I'm not looking to fire a .22 off a bench all day. Multiple targets, shooting on the move, barricades?!?! Forget about it...! The best option is the New Holland Rifle & Pistol club. Their membership is fairly steep and there are mandatory work days, and lots of people there. The last makes me a little nervous.

I have heard good things about Topton Gun Club, but not gotten over there so can't confirm. But if they are running regular steel matches and IDPA then it might be a better option. Want to say about $75 a year. Unsure on work days, but that would have me leaving because I find that to a no go, unless you are paying my ass.

I do shoot trap regularly but the trap clubs I shoot at I am not a member since there is no point in being a member since it usually just means you can drink at the club, which I don't do.

Still say it bears looking into. Am sure there has to be a member on here who knows a good shoot and move club without asinine rules.

CoryCop25
08-05-14, 21:14
I shoot at Topton FGA....

MistWolf
08-09-14, 19:35
That's only a couple of hours from where I'm staying. Is Topton FGA for members only?

Kain
08-09-14, 19:47
Would like to get the low down on Topton as well since I haven't gotten out there yet and it is pretty close to me, and only glanced at their web page. What kind of group it is(Shooters or drinkers?), what is allowed, whether people get pissed if you are doing drills from holster, shoot and move, ect, ect. With them shooting matches there I figured they might be more open to more variety of range work, but again, haven't had a chance to find out.

CoryCop25
08-10-14, 09:35
That's only a couple of hours from where I'm staying. Is Topton FGA for members only?

Would like to get the low down on Topton as well since I haven't gotten out there yet and it is pretty close to me, and only glanced at their web page. What kind of group it is(Shooters or drinkers?), what is allowed, whether people get pissed if you are doing drills from holster, shoot and move, ect, ect. With them shooting matches there I figured they might be more open to more variety of range work, but again, haven't had a chance to find out.

Check out the web site www.toptonfga.org
Look at the map of the ranges.
I got a PM from someone asking questions but their in box was full.
To be short, their rifle ranges are just OK. They have one range set up for 25-50-75 yards and a dedicated 100 and 200 yard range.
They have 5 or 6 pistol ranges. I use one of them that is set up like a horse shoe and you can also shoot intermediate rifle calibers there too.
You have to be a member or come as a member's guest for $10. The fee is listed on the web page. When I'm not super busy, I am there 2-3 times a week not including when I'm doing range qualifications for my department. This range became our police range after I had it out with another range who had "board members" coming out from the bar yelling at us for shooting too fast.
Topton has no bar and they want the police there.

MistWolf
08-13-14, 10:55
Hey Voodoo Man, your PM box is full

Voodoo_Man
08-13-14, 11:49
Hey Voodoo Man, your PM box is full

Sorry bout that, should be open.

TheTick
02-03-15, 00:34
Thanks to the AG witch from Phila, PA no longer recognizes Utah & Florida non-resident permits. PA House bill 2398 recognizes all nonresident carry licenses, hopefully when the budget impasse is resolved, this bill will pass.

Bill introduced BY SACCONE, BLOOM, DUNBAR, C. HARRIS, KAUFFMAN, METCALFE, SWANGER, SANKEY AND GABLER. Thank you!

As my granddaddy would say "frig Kane'!

Edit: forgot link to the bill: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2013&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=2398&pn=3919

The Bill you reference is not saying that PA does not recognize Florida and Utah (I don't think they have carry permits or issue "Travel permits") carry permits, it's that PA does not recognize a PA resident having solely a Florida or any other state's carry permit.

As in a PA resident must have a PA carry permit. The legislation was due to PA residents that would be prohibited from obtaining a PA carry permit simply applying for and receiving a carry permit from another state. PA gives carry permits to pretty much anyone so to be a "prohibited person", you messed up. Before the "Florida Loophole" was closed, I had some real turds that were "legally" armed that shouldn't have been. Yes, the AG determines which other states PA have reciprocity with in regard to concealed carry, they are as follows:

Category 1 (Written Reciprocity): Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Category 2 (Statutory Reciprocity): Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Wisconsin

So basically, if you have a carry permit from one of these states, PA will recognize it. But you best not be a PA resident and try to carry in PA under one of these states' carry permits without backing it up with a PA permit.

While we're at it, here is a link to PA Title 18, Chapter 61 (Uniforms Firearm Act). Pay specific attention to Section 6105 for people who cannot possess firearms and 6106 for carry permit requirements.

Hope this helps. Carry on (pun intended).

TheTick
02-03-15, 02:29
oops: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.061..HTM

platoonDaddy
02-03-15, 05:53
In Maryland 99% of the residents are unable to obtain a carry permit, therefore the majority of us have Florida & Utah. With those two, prior to the hoe from Phila becoming AG, we legally carried in Pa.

Florida, recent Modifications to the Reciprocity List:

February 4, 2013: Effective this date, PENNSYLVANIA will no longer honor a Florida concealed weapon license if the license holder is not a RESIDENT of the state of Florida.

Scroll down to #4
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Related-Information/States-Recognizing-Florida-License

TheTick
02-03-15, 17:26
In Maryland 99% of the residents are unable to obtain a carry permit, therefore the majority of us have Florida & Utah. With those two, prior to the hoe from Phila becoming AG, we legally carried in Pa.

Florida, recent Modifications to the Reciprocity List:

February 4, 2013: Effective this date, PENNSYLVANIA will no longer honor a Florida concealed weapon license if the license holder is not a RESIDENT of the state of Florida.

Scroll down to #4
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Related-Information/States-Recognizing-Florida-License

Gotcha, now I'm tracking you. Yes, PA wants you to be a resident of whatever state you have a concealed carry permit from.

Back to Utah: I'm a little confused by this as I thought Utah does not require carry permits in state and does not issue "Traveler Permit" to Utah residents who are leaving the state.

platoonDaddy
02-03-15, 20:33
Gotcha, now I'm tracking you. Yes, PA wants you to be a resident of whatever state you have a concealed carry permit from.

Back to Utah: I'm a little confused by this as I thought Utah does not require carry permits in state and does not issue "Traveler Permit" to Utah residents who are leaving the state.

Know for sure, Utah 4 hour classes are a big money item in Maryland. At least two-three times a month, there is a Utah concealment class somewhere in Maryland. Between now and March 27th there are five classes scheduled. Ref upcoming events: http://http://mdshooters.com/

Here is an article from 2010 that really surprised me at the time it was published. Never and still don't understand why PA residents would need a UTAH CCW class: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/us/06guns.html?_r=0

We (MD 99% who are unable to get a MD carry), were able to carry in every MD border state, plus 29 other states with Florida & Utah. The phila hoe, certainly threw us a curve.

EDIT: forgot to add - now we open carry in Pa, which is legal.

TheTick
02-03-15, 23:00
Know for sure, Utah 4 hour classes are a big money item in Maryland. At least two-three times a month, there is a Utah concealment class somewhere in Maryland. Between now and March 27th there are five classes scheduled. Ref upcoming events: http://http://mdshooters.com/

Here is an article from 2010 that really surprised me at the time it was published. Never and still don't understand why PA residents would need a UTAH CCW class: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/us/06guns.html?_r=0

We (MD 99% who are unable to get a MD carry), were able to carry in every MD border state, plus 29 other states with Florida & Utah. The phila hoe, certainly threw us a curve.

EDIT: forgot to add - now we open carry in Pa, which is legal.

LOL, I shit you not with this story:

Tonight I stop a car for an obstructed tag and while the driver is getting out his license, I see his PA carry permit and simply ask if he's carrying (I do this mostly to tell them that I truly hope they are and to further spread the word that LE is staunchly Pro-2A). The guy tells me he's carrying a Glock 17 and proceeds to hand me his PA carry permit before pulling out a Utah carry permit also.

I'll be damned, you learn something new everyday. I just found the timing funny and almost starting laughing to myself.

platoonDaddy
02-04-15, 03:36
WOW, what a story and the timing is unbelievable. dang and double dang

Stay out of harms way and thank you for your service as a LEO.

BradCMSP
02-04-15, 06:56
Never and still don't understand why PA residents would need a UTAH CCW class: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/us/06guns.html?_r=0

Delaware honors UT but not PA, so depending on where you travel it can be beneficial.

platoonDaddy
02-04-15, 10:06
Delaware honors UT but not PA, so depending on where you travel it can be beneficial.

Never knew that, now it makes sense. Thanks

Yes, PA wants you to be a resident of whatever state you have a concealed carry permit from..

There must be a loophole with Texas permits: Texas requires you to take their class and qualify in Tx, a few Pa transplants to MD have secured a Tx permit by traveling there. As a Pa transplant, that is one cost venture, that I will hold up on. For sure someone is going to bring this to the attention of the PhilaHoe and she will certainly close it.

TheTick
02-04-15, 13:43
Never knew that, now it makes sense. Thanks

There must be a loophole with Texas permits: Texas requires you to take their class and qualify in Tx, a few Pa transplants to MD have secured a Tx permit by traveling there. As a Pa transplant, that is one cost venture, that I will hold up on. For sure someone is going to bring this to the attention of the PhilaHoe and she will certainly close it.

I hear you. I get a little murky on the specifics, but when someone tells me they are holding and give me a permit, that pretty much tells me that they are not the turd that's going to take a shot at me. Other than looking for PA residents to have PA permits, if I see a permit from Pluto and you're from Mars, I don't really care. I'm not one to keep someone from being able to protect themselves from the turds. Unless something screams that the person is FUBAR, I err on the side of Freedom.

Carry on man, it's my pleasure to get out in the mix for good people such as yourself.