PDA

View Full Version : tips for new red dot shooters

apd268
06-10-08, 22:19
If you were trying to convey the added benefits of using a red dot type sight what would be your top five reasons/or tips for using one?

Jay Cunningham
06-10-08, 22:24
I don't know if there's 5 reasons, but...

increased speed
superior low light capability
better situational awareness

Steve
06-10-08, 22:28
added to those, increase in hit capablity in those just mentioned by Thekatar

exitinyourhead
06-10-08, 22:29
I would only have 2 reasons

speed and accuracy

VooDoo6Actual
06-10-08, 22:30
simplicity
fast target acqusition
Reliable/dependable/durable (PROVEN in combat)
cost effective for technology/function/durabilty/accuracy
improved/enhanced confidence in battle
A Monkey could shoot w/ it...

Failure2Stop
06-11-08, 08:22
Simple
Easy
Fast
Effective

There are numerous specific examples that coulb be given, but they all fall into one of the above.

Tips for using one-
Properly zero the optic.
Keep both eyes open when shooting.
Put the dot on the target. Fire. Repeat as necessary.

JSGlock34
06-11-08, 21:03
Ability to focus on your target instead of your front sight.

FJB
06-11-08, 21:43
Watch all five parts of "Aimpoint: The Red Dot Solution" only 3-6 minutes each at www.downrange.tv/show2 for reasons why. Shameless plug, but the video clips really are informative.

S/F

apd268
06-12-08, 22:59
I concur with all of you I was looking for different opinions to sell the idea to some admin types, I had forgot about those vids, thanks guys

Harv
06-13-08, 17:16
Failure2Stop

Simple
Easy
Fast
Effective

There are numerous specific examples that coulb be given, but they all fall into one of the above.

Tips for using one-
Properly zero the optic.
Keep both eyes open when shooting.
Put the dot on the target. Fire. Repeat as necessary.

See the tips on using it are as easy as the sight itself....

adh
06-13-08, 23:01
Personally one big reason for me is transitioning to the week side...I feel like I can acquire the red dot much faster than aligning the irons. This can be overcome to a certain extent with practice, but I cannot shoot week side with both eyes open and seeing that red dot is much easier (i.e. faster) than aligning the irons.

CarlosDJackal
06-13-08, 23:18
What finally convinced me is the ability o engage targets in low-light conditions. I tried to engage a black popper at 50-yards against a dark bakground in low light with iron sights and could not do it.

Good luck!!

Jay Cunningham
06-13-08, 23:23
What finally convinced me is the ability o engage targets in low-light conditions. I tried to engage a black popper at 50-yards against a dark bakground in low light with iron sights and could not do it.

Yet we constantly read posts from "experts" who tell us that they don't "need that crap" on their carbine and that they like to keep it KISS...

Of course none of them have ever shot at night.

:D

sl4mdaddy
06-14-08, 08:40
Watch all five parts of "Aimpoint: The Red Dot Solution" only 3-6 minutes each at www.downrange.tv/show2 for reasons why. Shameless plug, but the video clips really are informative.

S/F
Thank you, Sir! I enjoyed your videos, informative indeed. As a new guy to AR's, but not new to firearms and instruction, I've only had mine for about a year now and the process of determining which optic to place atop my new toy has been quite involved to say the least. I've spent the last year reading everything posted and/or advertised about my 2 main choices for a red dot. Your videos have pretty much sealed it for me. Now, if I can only hide the checkbook from the wife for about 6 months I'd be golden!

Thanks again.