PDA

View Full Version : Wounded doctor fired back at gunman

Amp Mangum
07-24-14, 20:00
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/24/pennsylvania-hospital-on-lockdown-amid-reports-shooting/

ptmccain
07-24-14, 20:03
Has anyone paused to consider that the doctor was simply following through on his Hippocratic oath when he saved people's lives with his handgun?

Probably not.

Stupid libtards.

Caduceus
07-24-14, 20:26
I have. I'm a firm believer in high speed lead inoculations. Of course my deployment wasn't anywhere near an active battlefield.

Hmac
07-24-14, 21:08
Hippocratic oath has nothing to do with self defense. I see no paradox in shooting someone to save lives then working hard to try to save the shooter's life. Of course, the doctor was a psychiatrist. Pretty limited ability to address a trauma patient.

ptmccain
07-24-14, 21:15
Hippocratic oath has nothing to do with self defense. I see no paradox in shooting someone to save lives then working hard to try to save the shooter's life. Of course, the doctor was a psychiatrist. Pretty limited ability to address a trauma patient.

You missed my point..he was SAVING LIVES.

Eurodriver
07-24-14, 21:21
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014855024

DU reacting to initial reports. Hilarity ensues when they realize it was a doctor armed with his own gun returning fire.

P.S. I thought doctors hate guns? Lots oh HMACs and Senseis out there?

Safetyhit
07-24-14, 21:21
Dr. Lee Silverman was armed and shot the attacker three times, disabling him. This is another remarkably clear indication as to how an armed good guy can be extremely effective at stopping the armed bad guy and should be recognized as such.

As a local of sorts it was disappointing to note that only this story finally clarifies what was already known via national outlets. Prior to that no regional news outlet would mention the doctor fought back.

http://6abc.com/news/police-id-caseworker-killed-on-delco-hospital-campus/216641/

ABNAK
07-24-14, 21:23
Oh, a psychiatrist. Wonder if his (no doubt) previous sessions with the guy indicated he was a likely candidate to do this type of thing?

Irish
07-24-14, 21:24
Dr. Lee Silverman was armed and shot the attacker three times, disabling him. This is another remarkably clear indication as to how an armed good guy can be extremely effective at stopping the armed bad guy and should be recognized as such.

Yes sir. I think this serves as a great example for "our side", due to his profession, and the environment that this occurred.

ABNAK
07-24-14, 21:30

You got that right. In fact it's absolutely right and it's absolutely in-you-face-proof of what you mentioned. So many times you hear libtards say "If it only saves one life...." Well hell-bells, here's a PERFECT example of their own argument being applied to a situation you know damn well they don't like! I love it!

Oh, kudos to the good doctor!

No.6
07-24-14, 22:38

As a local of sorts it was disappointing to note that only this story finally clarifies what was already known via national outlets. Prior to that no regional news outlet would mention the doctor fought back.

http://6abc.com/news/police-id-caseworker-killed-on-delco-hospital-campus/216641/

Gotta love this quote:

ATF agents as well as police from as far away as Upper Darby and Haverford townships responded to the hospital campus, including the Delaware County SWAT Team. Officers, armed with heavy artillery, moved in to secure the scene.

I'd heard that a lot of SWAT teams were becoming very militarized, but when did they start issuing 105's?

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-25-14, 00:27
Authorities said there are no surveillance cameras in the doctor's office or the waiting area outside. They also said the center had no metal detectors.

"Do you evaluate that now ... in light of this incident to make sure people are safe, especially in what can be a dangerous environment?" Whelan asked.

This is why Progressives are crazy. The Doc shoots the attacker and they wonder if metal detectors are the answer. It's like after a house fire, you ignore the firefighters and their hoses and wonder if smoke detectors would have stopped the fire. Detectors only work after a fire has started or a guy has gun and don't help unless you have the right tool to put the fire out.

A psychiatrist that carries a gun. That's a pretty big admission that there are some crazy mo'fo's out there...

Averageman
07-25-14, 06:44
A psychiatrist that carries a gun. That's a pretty big admission that there are some crazy mo'fo's out there...

I used to shoot IDPA with a Psychiatrist, the guy carried 24/7 and one on one in a candid moment told me was concerned about some of the "Bat Shit Crazy" MoFo's he deals with.

Hmac
07-25-14, 07:11
You missed my point..he was SAVING LIVES.

Which has nothing to do with the Hippocratic oath, or any relevant variation thereof.

/

sewvacman
07-25-14, 07:15
I love how Fox news makes a big thing over how the police on the scene say doctor is a hero for carrying the gun and taking this guy out. Yet CNN barely acknowledges the doctor had a gun, let alone actually saved people with it.

It's all how you spin it, or don't.

caporider
07-25-14, 09:28
I love how Fox news makes a big thing over how the police on the scene say doctor is a hero for carrying the gun and taking this guy out. Yet CNN barely acknowledges the doctor had a gun, let alone actually saved people with it.

It's all how you spin it, or don't.

Agree 100%. Clearly CNN is fair and balanced based on the way it wrote the story's headline... :mad:

SteyrAUG
07-25-14, 12:47
Has anyone paused to consider that the doctor was simply following through on his Hippocratic oath when he saved people's lives with his handgun?

Probably not.

Stupid libtards.

Thankfully that is how it is being viewed by many.

Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux said that, "without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives."

"Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition," Molineux said.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-25-14, 12:50
Too bad he only 'treated' the patient and didn't 'cure' him...

Moose-Knuckle
07-25-14, 14:55
Kuddos for the pistol pack'n doc!

Yeah, too bad the 02 thief is going to make it . . .

WillBrink
07-25-14, 15:37
This is why Progressives are crazy. The Doc shoots the attacker and they wonder if metal detectors are the answer. It's like after a house fire, you ignore the firefighters and their hoses and wonder if smoke detectors would have stopped the fire. Detectors only work after a fire has started or a guy has gun and don't help unless you have the right tool to put the fire out.

There's more ER docs who carry guns than people may realize, often against hospital policy.

Moose-Knuckle
07-25-14, 15:46

I'm a quote guy, and for the life of me I cannot find it but I read one that was tantamount to “in society psychiatrist and police officers know the extent of the dangers out there better than anyone else”.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-25-14, 15:59
I'm a quote guy, and for the life of me I cannot find it but I read one that was tantamount to “in society psychiatrist and police officers know the extent of the dangers out there better than anyone else”.

True genius is not remembering where you've hear something before... I just made that up- as far as you know.

Hmac
07-25-14, 16:03
There's more ER docs who carry guns than people may realize, often against hospital policy.

Probably true. I happen to know that a 5.11 holster shirt works well under scrubs and a lab coat.

Of the two hospitals where I work, one is a District Hospital which receives state funding, therefore is prevented from prohibiting guns. The other is a private hospital, and is posted. In neither case is there a medical staff rule or policy against weapons on the premises. Since I'm not employed by either hospital, my job doesn't depend on following the rules anyway.

Sensei
07-25-14, 17:59

:ph34r:

Amp Mangum
07-25-14, 21:38
Can't believe ABC had a positive report on the doc fighting back:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-furious-close-range-gun-battle-pennsylvania-hospital/story?id=24716727

jpmuscle
07-26-14, 01:38

http://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-furious-close-range-gun-battle-pennsylvania-hospital/story?id=24716727
Well, in this ones the docs motivation's for being unarmed are unknown lol

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=268493192#Ym0ok0hb7sCjTXWc.99http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20140725_Reports__Three_shot_at_Darby_hospital.html

WillBrink
07-26-14, 09:41

I'd look for the spin use the story as call for additional gun control due to psychiatric patient with a gun (ignoring his gun was not legal already). This seemingly positive write up leaves more Qs than answers. How times was psychiatric patient hit by doc? What caliber was docs gun?

" The doctor, who was using a chair for protection, aimed his gun at Plotts and fired until it was empty"

I'm gonna guess some sort of pocket .380 but WAG on my part.

"(bad guy) was in stable but guarded condition and was sedated."

Suggests doc connected a few times, unless the person who wrestled him to the ground beat him down good, or both!

"Silverman has a license to carry a concealed weapon, Whelan said, and state policy says that it is legal to have a concealed weapon in a home or office, though it is unclear whether or not the hospital's policy permits employees to be armed."

See above comments :rolleyes:

If the policy is they don't allow legal CCW of employees, will they fire him or give him a medal, a raise, and change the stupid policy due to the fact he likely prevented another multiple victim shooting?

ptmccain
07-26-14, 09:47
Driving home listening to NPR, they reported that the American Psychiatric Association, or whatever it is they call themselves, was asked for comment on the fact that the psychiatrist had a firearm with him and the response was basically it had no official position on the issue since they had never really given it much thought, so, just wait, even though the man saved his own life and no doubt the lives of others, his professional organization will come out against carrying firearms.

It is good to learn the doctor will not be losing his job at the hospital, in spite of their "no firearms" signs.

The guy he shot was clearly intent on going on a shooting spree, based on the amount of ammo he was carrying.

WillBrink
07-26-14, 10:31
Driving home listening to NPR, they reported that the American Psychiatric Association, or whatever it is they call themselves, was asked for comment on the fact that the psychiatrist had a firearm with him and the response was basically it had no official position on the issue since they had never really given it much thought, so, just wait, even though the man saved his own life and no doubt the lives of others, his professional organization will come out against carrying firearms.

It is good to learn the doctor will not be losing his job at the hospital, in spite of their "no firearms" signs.

The guy he shot was clearly intent on going on a shooting spree, based on the amount of ammo he was carrying.

Do we know that from a source or was that via NPR?

Amp Mangum
07-26-14, 11:04
Hospital publicly thanked him and is welcoming him back to work. Looks like the doc used a .32acp Seecamp. Bet he gets a bigger blaster now!

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/pa-doctor-prevented-massacre-hospital-person-killed-24722637

Irish
07-26-14, 11:06
Here ya go: http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Prosecutor-Man-faces-charges-in-hospital-shooting-5646544.php

The hospital said Friday it was thankful for the "brave and difficult action" taken by Silverman and his colleagues. It said he remains a full member of the medical staff and "we look forward to Dr. Silverman's return to serving patients at our hospital."

WillBrink
07-26-14, 11:14
Hospital publicly thanked him and is welcoming him back to work. Looks like the doc used a .32acp Seecamp. Bet he gets a bigger blaster now!

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/pa-doctor-prevented-massacre-hospital-person-killed-24722637

That's good news. .32acp only slightly better than throwing rocks. :D

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he dumped all rnds into the guy with minimal effect. Good on the doc, but I bet he opts for something a tad more likely to actually stop a person after this experience.

Irish
07-26-14, 12:05
That's good news. .32acp only slightly better than throwing rocks. :D

Really fast rocks! ;) Better to have the .32 on you, and being able to use it, than the .45 that's in the safe at home.

WillBrink
07-26-14, 16:02
Really fast rocks! ;) Better to have the .32 on you, and being able to use it, than the .45 that's in the safe at home.

True enough, but friends don't let friends CCW a .380 much less a .32. In this case, it appears to at least have given the BG pause long enough during his reload that someone was able to tackle him. Had no one tackled him, it's very possible BG would have reloaded, and killed the doc and others as the .32 failed to incapacitate BG in a timely fashion. As handgun rnds in typical duty loads are poor "man stoppers" as it is, there's a reason some PD will not even allow .380 as for a BUG, much less the close-to-throwing-rocks .32. I'll be interested to learn how many rnds struck BG and where out of curiosity.

Regardless, props to the doc and his staff for not ending up a chalk figures.

Irish
07-26-14, 17:16
True enough, but friends don't let friends CCW a .380 much less a .32.

No question, and I agree with the rest of your statement as well. I'm just guessing... But due to professional attire, his work place, etc. he was probably going with a minimalist approach, probably pocket carry. Hell, maybe he was just lazy and didn't feel like toting a heavy gun. Either way I'm glad he prevailed.

Shoulderthinggoesup
07-26-14, 17:31
Do no harm. Do know harm.

Glad he was there to keep the bodycount low.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Irish
07-27-14, 12:01
Shooter's motivation. (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140727_D_A___Gunman_was_offended_by_hospital_s__gun-free__policy.html#X8hwuJJmd7A5ZRlq.99)

NOTHING WAS GOING to stop Richard Plotts from carrying a gun.

Not the law, not his felony record, not his questionable mental health and certainly not a sign.

Plotts, who shot and killed his caseworker and shot his doctor at a Delaware County hospital campus Thursday, may have done so because he was offended by the hospital's policy against guns, Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said.

"There's evidence that he took offense to the issue that there were signs posted at Mercy Fitzgerald Health System indicating that it was a gun-free zone," Whelan said. "That's the only motive we have been able to determine at this point in time . . . he was upset about that policy."...

Hmac
07-27-14, 12:19
Do no harm. Do know harm.

http://ssequine.net/donoharm.jpg