PDA

View Full Version : Confused...which height sight for Glock 19? .230" or .245"?

brickboy240
07-25-14, 12:04
I was looking into getting a set of the Vickers Wilson sights for my 3rd gen G19, but don't know which height to get.

I basically am cool with a 6 o'clock zero, like the current stock Glock sights.

So which height do I get to get a 6 o'clock zero with standard 9mm ammo? .230 or .245 height?

Any help from those that have these sights would be appreciated. Hoping to have this G19 "ready for carry" soon with the addition of these sights.

Thanks!

-Brickboy240

SPDGG
07-25-14, 12:20
fwiw:

I don't know the Vicker's Wilson Rear sight height, but in my experience each Glock, handgun, will differ in its POI at a _X_ distance w/ __x__ ammo.
From the photos it seems the Vicker's Wilson Combat Glock Rear Sight is Taller than most other manuf. offerings.

* * * I'd call Wilson Combat & ask them for the recommendation. Let them know the weight/ammo you will be using

.02/fwiw:
I run Warren Tactical Rear Sights & I've had/setup G19s with front sight heights from .215", .225", to .245" to get them zero'd at 25 yards - POI @ Top Edge of front sight
0.215" Front sight height is the most common front sight height for these "style" of rear sights for a 9mm small frame glock, besides the 34/17L. to add: I've seen the odd 34 needing .215" at times.

POI will be dependent on ammo, weight/velocity, & the firearm itself.

From the Wilson Combat site:

NOTE: Sights may require minor fitting and may not be returned after installation. The Vickers Elite GlockŪ Sight set requires the use of a .245”tall front sight for all caliber GlockŪ pistols except for .45 ACP and 10mm which will typically require the .230” front sight. Sights may require minor fitting and may not be returned after installation. These front sights are taller than factory GlockŪ and not compatible with standard factory rear sights without adjusting the sight height.

brickboy240
07-25-14, 13:11
I kind of figured the .245" sight would be the one to get. Don't know about the green fiber optic sight....worried it might break. Might just go with all black and be safe.

These sights look great. I have Jason Falla's excellent Redback One sights on my G17 but thought I'd try something different. Coming from LAV...I am sure they are top notch and will perform well on my G19.

-brickboy240

Coal Dragger
07-25-14, 17:58
Frankly until you get the sights on the gun, you won't know what will be needed to get elevation adjusted properly. Once reason I like Dawson Precision, you order a sight set and it doesn't hit where you want and they make you another front sight of the correct height for free.

WickedWillis
07-25-14, 18:57
Did they abandon the rear sight with tritium or what?

kevN
07-26-14, 12:54
I kind of figured the .245" sight would be the one to get. Don't know about the green fiber optic sight....worried it might break. Might just go with all black and be safe.

These sights look great. I have Jason Falla's excellent Redback One sights on my G17 but thought I'd try something different. Coming from LAV...I am sure they are top notch and will perform well on my G19.

-brickboy240

If the rod breaks, you'll have a brand new set of all black sights.

I agree with others, POI is variable with glocks. Lately most seen to hit 3-5in higher than poa at 25 yards when running "standard" height sights. I will run the glock stock sights to get an idea if where it's hitting and use the Ameriglo website calculator to know what kind of a shift I need to make between rear and front for each new gun.

Dawson offers a perfect impact guarantee where they will make it right if it's not where it needs to be as well.

Also consider the fact that it may change some with different bullet weights. 115g ball may impact 3in higher than 147g ball (or maybe I have that backwards). In any case I like to carry and zero with 124g (Speer lawman and confirm with Speer gold dot). That way if I can buy practice ammo in 124 than I feel good about it. If I run 115g practice ammo then the shift isn't as much as it might be with a 147g zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk