PDA

View Full Version : XM193A Quality

BushmasterFanBoy
06-11-08, 10:51
I just bought 1200 rounds of XM193A (The stuff that comes in 10 round clips in cardboards) and I was wanting to know a bit more about what makes XM193 the "good stuff" as far as range ammo goes. AFAIK, isn't it technically factory rejected M193?

Another thing that bothers me is that there is a thread on TOS where someone supposedly training with a SWAT unit in his department has been seeing unusual primer issues, hard primers, primers backing out, etc. I don't see where this can happen if the ammo is XM193 (which means it has a crimped primer, correct?) and he hasn't posted a lot number, but other users have commented that black box XM193 has been performing poorly as well.

I plan on saving the majority of this ammo, but I also want to know it will perform if I need it to.

markm
06-11-08, 15:20
There's any number of factors that can come into play here. No telling what weapons and chambers in the weapons that this SWAT guy is referring to.

If they're Colt guns, then I'd be more likely to suspect an ammo issue. But if they're aftermarket weapons, they may not have 5.56 chambers. This will cause primers to pop sometimes.

A primer crimp offers very little retention for a primer. If you decap a commercial casings and crimped casings.. you can't even feel the difference.

XM193 has an excellent past performance record. I hadn't heard of issues with the black box stuff. I have some, and will make it a point to shoot a few boxes thru one of my weapons.

I'd shoot a hundred or so rounds of what you have to see how it runs. I'd be surprised to hear of any problems. It's hard sometimes to determine what is nonsense and what is legitimate issues when it comes to topics like this.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-11-08, 19:27
There's any number of factors that can come into play here. No telling what weapons and chambers in the weapons that this SWAT guy is referring to.

If they're Colt guns, then I'd be more likely to suspect an ammo issue. But if they're aftermarket weapons, they may not have 5.56 chambers. This will cause primers to pop sometimes.

A primer crimp offers very little retention for a primer. If you decap a commercial casings and crimped casings.. you can't even feel the difference.

XM193 has an excellent past performance record. I hadn't heard of issues with the black box stuff. I have some, and will make it a point to shoot a few boxes thru one of my weapons.

I'd shoot a hundred or so rounds of what you have to see how it runs. I'd be surprised to hear of any problems. It's hard sometimes to determine what is nonsense and what is legitimate issues when it comes to topics like this.
I have huge confidence in XM193 and was shocked to hear this as well, he claimed some of the guns it was run in were Colt guns and those produced malfunctions as well. At any rate, he refuses to report a lot number, so I'm going to be skeptical of his 'findings'. As with any ammo however, I'm going to run a chest rig loadout of 240 rounds through it, if it fails to produce a malf. in 240 rounds, I'm going to call the rest good and store it.

markm
06-11-08, 22:07
Report back your findings. I'll run a couple of boxes of the black box this weekend for the hell of it.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-15-08, 15:41
Just got back from the range today, 240 rounds without a hitch, the rest is staying in ammo cans.

ETA: After cleaning my AR, I have to conclude this ammo runs dirty, I had to work my carrier key loose to remove it during cleaning, and my bolt had carbon fouling up as far as the ring behind the cam hole. Not an issue, just a disclaimer, hey the performance has to come from somewhere :D Since my gun stays lubed I was surprised the dirt built up as much as it did. (To be fair, I was running it very hot and most lube had burnt off)

ETA2: I can provide the lot # on request. (I may post it regardless tomorrow)

markm
06-16-08, 08:35
No surprise. Sometimes people who have complaints on things aren't giving you the whole story. In other words, a Colt may have been choking on some of the ammo. But who knows what stupid mods the owner has made to it to make it "more reliable".

I didn't shoot this weekend. Too hot.