PDA

View Full Version : New AR Help

RRMan03
06-11-08, 14:21
I have fought with and owned a few AR's in the past so I am not new to the AR's. I am not up to speed on all the new manafactures and models. I do know Colt,LMT, and Noveske seem to be the top of the line.My question is this. If you were to buy a new M4 style gun in the budget market which maker would you choose? As I stated already I plan later to get a Colt or LMT but would like to have a gun just to get back into the AR shooting mode. All help and ideas appreciated.

AMMOTECH
06-11-08, 14:34
Welcome to M4C.

Most everyone here will tell you to get a Colt 6920 or an LMT carbine.
Sounds like you already know what's good; you should just get the one that you want.
I would get the Colt-- Better resale value if I ever had to sell it.

Why buy one just to get back into it when you've had issues in the past with other guns. Just get a Colt or LMT and get back into it with that gun. Why waste the money? You will need it for ammo!

tiger seven
06-11-08, 15:20
For a complete gun on a tight budget I would get an ADS carbine from Grant @ G&R Tactical. Take a look at this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7297

That's a lot of gun for the money, so to speak.

However, for not much more you could buy a complete LMT lower and complete LMT upper, snap the two together and have your LMT. :)

Derek

jhs1969
06-11-08, 15:45
Got my LMT back in April (I think, memory is the first to go:D ). Complete upper, complete lower shipped in two boxes as one package (rubber banded together) for $1056 delivered. You would pay more for less quality makes. This was close to the price I paid for a Bushmaster about 3 years ago. I transfered all my goodies off the BM onto my LMT. My wife wanted the BM as a light weight KISS carbine.

30russkie
06-11-08, 15:59
i have a LMT. haven't fired a colt in some time. people seem to get a bit 'hung-up" on brand names. from my experience they can all be good or bad, and like some of the mill-spec stuff isn't all ways the best in every situation.

i wouldn't count out some of the other makes like armalite, CMMG , rock river ect

i picked up a very nice rock river mid-length the other day from adco-- chrome bore- with bolt charging handle for a very nice price.

my advice buy what you want and can afford. you can spend a ton of $$$ on stuff that don't matter much ---but be sure you do get what counts and what you want.
it is your build after all.

RRMan03
06-11-08, 16:25
Not looking for anything special. Just a reliable shooter to have around the house. That ADS looks like a nice gun for the money but like you said buy a LMT lower and upper and snap them together for about 150 more. Maybe I just need a low end gun and a high end gun.Or is it I need a middle end gun. Now you know my problem.Decisions Decisions. I am not going to add on any aftermarket items on this gun.I do know that much.

recon by fire
06-11-08, 16:52
I was on a budget, and I started last December on my build. I just bought parts here and there, what ever I could afford at the time. I got an LMT upper, but the lower, is DPMS and Bushmaster. I still need a BCG. But what I'm getting at, is that now I'm kinda regreting using a Bushmaster LPK. I'm thinking that I should have paid a little more and put LMT parts in it. I thought that as long as the upper is all LMT, then I'll be good. I just don't want to see you regret it later, and thinking that you should have went with something better.

But if you do want a budget rifle, check this out.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13279

Failure2Stop
06-11-08, 17:24
This type of conversation pops up fairly often, but usually is dominated by people that have either a) already made a decision, b) are pushing some agenda, or c) refuse to take advice. The ones that lack those three issues generally end pretty quickly.

Instead of giving a simple answer, I will relate my experience with the topic.

A few years ago I was of the "parts is parts", "ARs are ARs" type of opinion. I bought a "good-as" middie. After I learned more about the civilian side of the AR game I bought an LMT. I would have preferred to buy a Colt, but the LMT was immediately available.

I have since bought another LMT and some other manufacturers' uppers/lowers. I would not mind in the least if I woke up tomorrow to discover that they had transmogrified into Colts.

I would happily trade two of my Non-LMT guns for a single Noveske, and had I gone that route initially I would have saved a significant amount of cash.

RRMan03
06-11-08, 19:45
Where would you recommend buying LMT lower and LMT upper.Also ADS lower and upper.There are no less than a hundred places. I am sure someone on here has had both good and bad experiences with sellers. And yes price does matter. Why pay full retail is you can get it cheaper for the same product.

tiger seven
06-11-08, 19:52
Where would you recommend buying LMT lower and LMT upper.Also ADS lower and upper.There are no less than a hundred places. I am sure someone on here has had both good and bad experiences with sellers. And yes price does matter. Why pay full retail is you can get it cheaper for the same product.

I got my LMT from Grant @ G&R Tactical. He's a member of this forum, but he's often easier to reach by phone or email.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/

That's the first place I'd look. He's an ADS dealer as well, so I'd give him a call and see what he has in stock.

Derek

Airframerhutt
06-11-08, 20:55
I've seen Olympic Arms putting them out the door as little as $600.00 bucks and I haven't heard anyone complaining about them.....

ST911
06-11-08, 21:06
I've seen Olympic Arms putting them out the door as little as $600.00 bucks and I haven't heard anyone complaining about them.....

Paging demigod...

Robb Jensen
06-11-08, 21:09

It's depends on your frame of reference..........I guess I see the opposite (the twilight zone) I only see disappointed owners with Olympic.......:eek:

AMMOTECH
06-11-08, 23:45
It's depends on your frame of reference..........I guess I see the opposite (the twilight zone) I only see disappointed owners with Olympic.......:eek:

Well he did say that he wanted lowend. ;)

bamboolongbow
06-12-08, 11:21

Uh Oh!
I am new the forum so I will tread lightly.

The cheap guns usually end up costing more, period. Save your cash and buy one of the top three. I purchased an off tier AR and wish that I had purchased a Noveske/Colt or LMT. My gun runs great and survived a Pat Rogers Carbine Operators Course. However...

Scooter-PIE
06-13-08, 01:03
I'd look for a used LMT or the cheapest model new LMT upper/lower. This IS you cheap option. :) This way you have the upper and lower you want and can upgrade it in the future as you see fit.