PDA

View Full Version : Drone Technology, The Next Generation....

Denali
07-28-14, 15:24
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/07/26/tiny-drones-deploy-for-us-allies/?utm_source=foxnews.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_module

Norway’s Prox Dynamics PD-100 Black Hornet Block II Personal Reconnaissance System is a tiny drone helicopter that can fit into the palm of your hand. The company says it is the world’s smallest operational unmanned air system.

It may look like a toy remote control helicopter on the wish list of kids young and old, but it’s serious combat tech. Black Hornet is about four inches long and one inch wide. And this little guy is astonishingly light. It only weighs just over half an ounce - that’s like the weight of three sheets of paper.

The entire system, including two Black Hornets, a base station that can fit in your back pocket, a controller and a screen, weighs under three pounds.

This drone technology has become extremely frightening, it's one thing on the battlefield, and an entirely different thing in the hands of politicians and their various para-militarized police agencies who will gleefully loose it upon their various city-fiefdoms citizens, as invaluable tools of safety & policing concerns. In a nation where the police have become heavily para-militarized, and a source of continual fear and mistrust, this is exactly what they should not be allowed to be laying their hands upon....

Despite its size, the Black Hornet can spend approximately 30 minutes in the air. The operator can pilot it, but you can also plug in the GPS coordinates and the drone can fly itself using auto-pilot.

The drone has built-in GPS, internal sensors and more. The system is very easy to operate - similar to using an Xbox or PlayStation. The basic training course to become a Black Hornet operator takes only two days.

Given its tiny size and lightweight, the company says that Black Hornet does not pose a threat to other aircraft.

What is it used for?

Black Hornet is a very sophisticated military tool with three cameras tucked into a very small unit – a pretty impressive engineering feat.

Three HD cameras packed into an object four inches in length, and one inch in width, what a wonderful place we have made of this world, it reminds me of a device that was used in "Frank Herbert's Dune," a small airborne device called a hunter/seeker that was used to both spy on and then assassinate its intended targets.

markm
07-28-14, 15:37
I wonder about this crap when we're out in the sticks target shooting.

MountainRaven
07-28-14, 15:41
I feel like this is pretty minute compared to what was shown on a Nova documentary on drones, where they detailed a refitted Predator equipped with dozens of smartphone cameras that can view an entire small town from altitude with sufficient resolution to see individuals swinging their arms.

While in one on the manhunt for the Boston bombers, they showed NYC's centralized CCTV station rigged up to computers with facial recognition software, where they can view - live - and record images from virtually every CCTV camera in the city and store all of it for 30 days.

ALCOAR
07-28-14, 15:46
The great thing about the explosion of drone tech atm, the barriers to entry are relatively low meaning that both Government, and Citizen usage is possible in the future.

Not only is the guberment watching the AZ crew (Mark/PB/IG) in the sticks, but I too have the capability and occasionally take a peek or two :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ptpsAXodk

TriviaMonster
07-28-14, 17:07
I have a feeling the plain view doctrine will change over the coming years.

trinydex
07-28-14, 17:19
there's also another aspect of drone technology.

why is uber valuated so highly right now? similarly lyft will be also. it is because they're developing the infrastructure and proprietary knowledge of how to bring a car to you on demand. imagine the new world where no one has to own a car. you subscribe to a drone car service, the drone cars take your kids to school, your wife to work, and you to work in the other direction, all simultaneously. if a drone car breaks down, one is right behind it to pick you up. all the drone cars drive the same speed on the highway. when a car needs to exit, all the other drone cars flow around it using hive mind technology. everything will be faster, more efficient. of course people will still own personal vehicles, but in the future the personal car will be much less practical.

Outlander Systems
07-28-14, 20:22
Sporting clays...21st Century style!

Honu
07-28-14, 21:06
love the black hornet costs $30K ?

OK you are getting ripped off most likely of course I don't expect it to be $30 but I am sure civilian side could be done that small that nice for under $3k a piece easy

but like any gov UK or US they are willing to over pay for products ? sad waste

the tech is going to change the way we know our world in the next 20-40 years after that I will be curious what my kids go through :) hope it is OK for them :)

Outlander Systems
07-28-14, 21:13
the tech is going to change the way we know our world in the next 20-40 years after that I will be curious what my kids go through :) hope it is OK for them :)

Boot camp: Issued I-Pad 20's, and Occulus Rift 8.0.

Fire watch will be drone piloting for 2 hour shifts.

FOBs will be stateside campuses.

Standard Infantry will be scaled back to where live human operators will only fall under SOCOM.

Drones can stay in theater indefinitely, by resupplying their energy needs feasting on human corpses...I mean...ah "biomass"...like...uh grass clippings and stuff.

Belmont31R
07-28-14, 21:45
Boot camp: Issued I-Pad 20's, and Occulus Rift 8.0.

Fire watch will be drone piloting for 2 hour shifts.

FOBs will be stateside campuses.

Standard Infantry will be scaled back to where live human operators will only fall under SOCOM.

Drones can stay in theater indefinitely, by resupplying their energy needs feasting on human corpses...I mean...ah "biomass"...like...uh grass clippings and stuff.

Not something to laugh at. Machines are nothing new. Been using them for a hundred years. I'm actually surprised machines aren't a bigger public issue. Drones are just a subset of the broader applications.

KalashniKEV
07-28-14, 21:51
Sergeant Scott Weaver, of The Queens Royal Lancers launches a Black Hornet, Nano UAV from a compound in Afghanistan.

30 knot wind blows Black Hornet into next province... bye bye $30,000.

I can see where it could be useful inside a building though... so long as you didn't lose C2 and video going through all the walls.