PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson fined for overseas bribes

Slater
07-29-14, 06:11
Shouldn't oughta done that:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140728/DEFREG02/307280019/Smith-Wesson-Fined-Indonesia-Pakistan-Bribes

sjc3081
07-29-14, 06:49
Us Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act is bad law. It is impossible to due business in some countries without bribes.

Bolt_Overide
07-29-14, 07:18
Us Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act is bad law. It is impossible to due business in some countries without bribes.

^that^

Leonidas24
07-29-14, 11:29

That may be the reality but it still isn't the right answer. I'd like to see Smith & Wesson take the same path as Desert Tech and cease dealings with countries like Pakistan altogether.

yellowfin
07-29-14, 11:31
Us Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act is bad law. It is impossible to due business in some countries without bribes.It's impossible to do business in THIS country without bribes, only over here we call it campaign contributions.

Singlestack Wonder
07-29-14, 17:30
It's impossible to do business in THIS country without bribes, only over here we call it campaign contributions.

+10.....

TehLlama
07-29-14, 20:33
Yeah, it was really hard to escape the vibe in every article about this that was anything but 'we're sorry we made it so obvious that this is the only way to do business in other countries. We'll pay this stupid fine because in the long run it's cheaper than litigating this ****'.

-- “This is a wake-up call for small and medium-size businesses that want to enter into high-risk markets and expand their international sales,” said Kara Brockmeyer of the SEC Enforcement Division. -- Inescapable bureaucratic doublespeak for 'keep it under the table, or you justify the existence and cost of our organization'.

I wouldn't complain about S&W doing business with Pakistani entities; somebody is going to supply them, and I'd rather it be Smith than some Putin funded puppet, no matter how much bribe money has to get thrown in there.

Moose-Knuckle
07-29-14, 20:36
Whoa, when I first read the thread title I thought it was about overseas brides . . . :jester:

williejc
07-30-14, 01:45
I wonder who and why blew the whistle. Bribes are part of the cultural fabric there. Not offering them is bad manners. It would be similar to not giving a big tip in a Chinese whorehouse. Everybody knows that.

SteveS
07-30-14, 10:29
That is called lobbying in this country. Why do all the politicians leave office millionaires no matter how little their net worth was entering office???

Big A
07-30-14, 11:02
I'm surprised Moose didn't already post this:

“I just want you to know that we are working on it. We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”
-Barack Obama in a conversation with Jim and Sarah Brady on gun control.

Moose-Knuckle
07-30-14, 15:15
I'm surprised Moose didn't already post this:

“I just want you to know that we are working on it. We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”
-Barack Obama in a conversation with Jim and Sarah Brady on gun control.

LOL, I could see Barry using this to after S&W.