PDA

View Full Version : UT regents expected to name admiral sole finalist for chancellor

austinN4
07-29-14, 15:58
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional/ut-regents-expected-to-name-admiral-sole-finalist-/ngqPS/

"University of Texas System regents are expected to name Adm. William McRaven the sole finalist for chancellor when they meet by telephone Tuesday evening.

McRaven, 58, is best known for coordinating the May 2011 raid in which Osama bin Laden was killed by Navy SEALs. He is currently commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command, overseeing 66,000 special forces in all branches of the military."

SeriousStudent
07-29-14, 20:52
Interesting choice. The Admiral is a grad of UT-Austin. Honestly don't remember who the chancellor was when I attended many moons ago.

I would love to see him in a friendly debate with the hippies on the West Mall, and then drinking beers at Maggie Mae's. :cool:

chuckman
08-01-14, 09:54
With his creds he can do just about anything, but it does seem a great fit.

austinN4
08-01-14, 11:06
I think it is a great choice, and that he will implement some much need disipline in the system.

brickboy240
08-01-14, 12:36
Wow...UT did not pick some "diverse" person with radical left wing views.

How odd.

LOL

austinN4
08-01-14, 14:19
Wow...UT did not pick some "diverse" person with radical left wing views. How odd.
Exactly! Gotta have the libs in Austin all atwitter.

SeriousStudent
08-01-14, 21:38
One of my most trusted minions at work is an Aggie. He speaks very highly of Robert Gates' tenure as the head of Texas A&M.

I was just wondering out loud with him. If Admiral McRaven was running UT, and Secretary Gates was running A&M, I bet we might get us a November football game again........

SOWT
08-02-14, 16:26
One of my most trusted minions at work is an Aggie. He speaks very highly of Robert Gates' tenure as the head of Texas A&M.

I was just wondering out loud with him. If Admiral McRaven was running UT, and Secretary Gates was running A&M, I bet we might get us a November football game again........

Funny, one of my last supervisors was an A&M Grad, he hated Gates.

RIDE
08-02-14, 16:51
Here's his great commencement speech to UT grads from a couple months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

austinN4
08-02-14, 17:32
Here's his great commencement speech to UT grads from a couple months ago.
I have watched that 3 or 4 times and enjoy it just as much each time.

Never, ever, ever, ring the bell!

SeriousStudent
08-03-14, 01:24
Funny, one of my last supervisors was an A&M Grad, he hated Gates.

Interesting. I'm curious if he was very much interested in the traditions that abound at College Station. From what I have been told, that was something that seemed to arouse the most ire, that Gates changed many long-standing traditions.

I have not ever met Mr. Gates or the Admiral, and don't really have a dog in the fight. Except that I do enjoy an exciting college football game, and really regret that the two colleges do not play each other any longer. I do think that's a shame.

krisjon
08-03-14, 22:42
Great for UT, but I'd rather see McRaven run for office.

SeriousStudent
08-03-14, 22:47
Great for UT, but I'd rather see McRaven run for office.

Understood. I would want to know more about how he stood on issues, and what solutions he envisioned.

But I would be delighted to listen to his ideas, and would certainly offer an open mind.

Wesley Clark always struck me as a bit wacky, so I'm a tiny bit cautious of senior officers until I know more about them. But the Admiral sure seems like a solid guy.

krisjon
08-04-14, 01:30
Understood. I would want to know more about how he stood on issues, and what solutions he envisioned.

But I would be delighted to listen to his ideas, and would certainly offer an open mind.

Wesley Clark always struck me as a bit wacky, so I'm a tiny bit cautious of senior officers until I know more about them. But the Admiral sure seems like a solid guy.

Agreed. Military brass aren't always cut out for the political arena, but I think McRaven is smart, principled and tough enough to lead inside and outside the beltway.

I just know several who have served under his command and have only heard exemplary things.

docsherm
08-04-14, 11:02
Bill is a great guy and has been looking forward to coming home to TX for some time. Maybe he can take a bit of the Libtard out of TU. I have worked with him on several occasions, Texas College football always comes up....our opinions differ on what team is the best..:D

brickboy240
08-04-14, 14:04
I dunno...being ex military does not guarantee a level headed conservative.

Look at Stanley McChrystal or maybe Wesley Clarke.

-brickboy240

SeriousStudent
08-04-14, 22:24
krisjon and docsherm - I am glad to hear that. I'll definitely look forward to hearing more from the man. Heaven knows, we certainly need a smart hand on the tiller now.

krisjon
08-04-14, 23:20
krisjon and docsherm - I am glad to hear that. I'll definitely look forward to hearing more from the man. Heaven knows, we certainly need a smart hand on the tiller now.

I can't imagine it happening (because every guy in the Teams that I know isn't a supporter of Obama), but there was water cooler talk that Hillary might tab McRaven as her running mate. He has more sense and honor than that, though - especially after what happened to Glen Doherty and Ty Woods in Libya. Then again, you don't exactly turn down the opportunity to be VP. I guess we'll see what shakes out. McRaven is a solid and squared away MFer in my book until he proves differently.

SeriousStudent
08-04-14, 23:40
Yes, I hope Hillary chokes on Benghazi, and her PSD forgets how to do the Heimlich.

I wear one of these patches on my Camelbak:

http://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Benghazi-Patch-p/skd.415.htm

Regardless of what he chooses to do, I wish the Admiral luck. You guys stay safe.