PDA

View Full Version : White Stuff on Colt 6920 Pistol Grip

Flankenstein
07-29-14, 19:49
I have a few 6920s and have never experienced/seen this before. Grated, a few of my 6920s came outfitted with Magpul furniture...But I see in a lot of pics (Grant's site for example) the pistol grip has this white powdering looking stuff on it.

What is it? Does it serve a purpose and does it come off?

joeyjoe
07-29-14, 20:43
haven't noticed anything like this in my personal experience. picture?

Roc_Kor
07-29-14, 20:46
Had a customer at the local shop I work at have that same white powdery stuff on his M4. A gun-oil soaked rag and it came right off.

Flankenstein
07-29-14, 20:48
haven't noticed anything like this in my personal experience. picture?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/6920SOC_LWR1.jpg

Some have more some have less (white sheet).

KalashniKEV
OPN Fast and Furious guns... great deals to be had, amigo!

Flankenstein
Had a customer at the local shop I work at have that same white powdery stuff on his M4. A gun-oil soaked rag and it came right off.

Any idea what it is and what purpose it serves though? I've never seen it on any other A2 grips besides Colts...

KalashniKEV
07-29-14, 20:50
Any idea what it is and what purpose it serves though?

None.

Rub some spit on it. It goes away.

Dmashowtime
07-29-14, 21:12
I believe that's tactical grippy power. My 6920 came with it as we'll, it's just rubs right off

Zirk208
07-29-14, 22:05
baby/talcum powder from the casting molds?

Ready.Fire.Aim
07-29-14, 22:06
Since it wipes off easily, the white coloration on the grip appears to be residual "mold release spray" used to release injection molded plastic parts from the mold.

Have fun
RFA

wildcard600
07-29-14, 22:39
i think the bigger question is why are A2 grips even still being made ?

i bet if you collected all the cast offs and melted them down you could mold a scale model of mount everest.

MarkG
07-29-14, 22:40
baby/talcum powder from the casting molds?

Close...

It's the release agent from the molding process.

Flankenstein
07-29-14, 22:45
Close...

It's the release agent from the molding process.

That makes the most sense, thanks Mark.

Flankenstein
07-29-14, 22:47

i bet if you collected all the cast offs and melted them down you could mold a scale model of mount everest.

I like them. Especially on Kiss carbines with A3 carry handles. Looks right to me, and feels good in my hand.

Leaveammoforme
07-29-14, 22:48

Better idea:

We set up a location that everyone sends their A2 grips to along with a few bucks for the final shipment. Once a UPS truck worth is collected we send them, by the pallet, to Blasio along with an invoice for removing dangerous pistol grips from circulation. We then donate invoice amount to the NRA or some other pro2A organization.

joeyjoe
07-29-14, 22:48
I suppose I have seen areas like that on black rifles before. I've seen a similar effect when some solvents/emulsifiers sit on plastic/aluminum etc. Its almost like the material (aluminum alloy and/or polymer) is over dried out; I apply lubricant and the white, dried out look goes away. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing or not?

TehLlama
07-29-14, 23:30
I suppose I have seen areas like that on black rifles before. I've seen a similar effect when some solvents/emulsifiers sit on plastic/aluminum etc. Its almost like the material (aluminum alloy and/or polymer) is over dried out; I apply lubricant and the white, dried out look goes away. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing or not?

That's exactly what I'm thinking too - look at the edge of the pictured pistol grip from Grant's site, that sounds like what's described, I've seen that a lot after solvent tank cleaning something. Look at the crisp edges of it, it's not a powder or anything else silly. Probably aluminum nanoparticles dissolved in solvent that form a layer over the furniture - either way, no big deal.

Flankenstein
07-29-14, 23:36
Agree that it's not a big deal, but I'd like it off.

I've tried just a plain rag, then slip 725 degreaser, a tootbrush, and hot water. Guess I'll try the oily rag next? Was trying to avoid getting the grip all oily...

LoveAR
07-29-14, 23:42
Does it affect the intended function of the lower?

Flankenstein
07-29-14, 23:47

Jesus christ. Of course not.

Stickman
07-29-14, 23:55

How could it? In what way were you thinking?

Double3
07-30-14, 05:38
How could it? In what way were you thinking?
I think he was just saying it doesn't matter.

I've seen what you are talking about. If you want to make it look pretty, put a little oil on your rag and wipe it.

BuzzinSATX
07-30-14, 05:56
I'd use some type of vinyl/plastic/rubber cleaner from an auto parts store versus oil. Not preservative (that will be slippery), but a cleaner.

BBossman
07-30-14, 07:25
It goes away after applying copious amounts of sweat and skin oils.

albatrossarmament
07-30-14, 07:51
Please send it back to the manufacturer and give them a chance to make it right before you bash them here.

Oh wait, it's not a BCM... then that rule doesn't apply.

JUST KIDDING GUYS...don't pour haterade on me.

markm
07-30-14, 08:27
This is an ARFtard thread...

The REAL answer is that it's "Nam Powder". It's there to rub on your feet to prevent Jungle Rot.

Berserkr556
07-30-14, 09:06
http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/6920SOC_LWR1.jpg

Some have more some have less (white sheet).

Oh no ! Someone from the fit & finish crowd just stroked out. It's mold release agent.

markm
07-30-14, 09:15
It's mold? Aw shit.

Flankenstein
07-30-14, 09:52
Oh no ! Someone from the fit & finish crowd just stroked out. It's mold release agent.

Easy tough guy. Nobody is stroking out.

kirkland
07-30-14, 15:27
Lol, I'm pretty sure mine had the same stuff, just oil the gun and take it out and shoot it. The white stuff goes away.

wildcard600
07-30-14, 16:05
its a AR that was recovered from Pablo Escobar ?

joeyjoe
07-31-14, 11:08
lol!

Seriously, though...douse the thing in Slip and go shoot. the *phenomenon* will cease to exist until you get a bunch of emulsifier/solvent on it. When that happens, reapply the slip (or whatever else you like).

Flankenstein
07-31-14, 11:26
Man some of you guys need to get out more. Point me to post where I was flipping out? I was curious, google search yielded no answers so I asked here- on a discussion forum.

A dap of oil and a rag did the trick...

Flankenstein
07-31-14, 11:32
Also- Thank you to all who responded in a helpful manner. It being a mold releasing agent makes perfect sense. Not sure why that didn't cross my mind but it didn't...

wingspar
07-31-14, 20:21
Nothing to contribute here, but here is a photo of my 6920 straight out of the box. I thought the grip looked kind of tacky, but it eventually wore off.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/156813141/original.jpg

Avtech850
07-31-14, 21:25
It looks like what is called plate-out. When you injection mold plastic, residue builds up in the mold over time and towards the end of the molding run it starts to cause what you are seeing. Most of the plastics used for that kind of stuff is made in a extruder, which is basically a giant blender with a vacuum pulled on it. Several of the additives have a form of binding wax in them and when the vacuum system starts to get excessively dirty it starts to leave more and more wax in the polymer blend.

Fuzzy-Reticle
08-01-14, 17:41
I have a few 6920s and have never experienced/seen this before. Grated, a few of my 6920s came outfitted with Magpul furniture...But I see in a lot of pics (Grant's site for example) the pistol grip has this white powdering looking stuff on it.

It's a little gift from Colt and the last person to handle it. Enjoy!

wildcard600
08-01-14, 19:59
It's a little gift from Colt and the last person to handle it. Enjoy!

hmmm.......

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/5-0l-tech/97494d1272653036-lb-injectors-over-600-rwhp-added-pics-tony-montana-scarface-say-hello-my-little-friend1.jpg

Redbeardsong
08-01-14, 20:14

Quit yer bitchin' and shoot the damn thing!

That is all.

Flankenstein
08-01-14, 20:19
Quit yer bitchin' and shoot the damn thing!

That is all.

Lol. Quite professional. Did the post you quoted of mine sound like bitching?

Note: Never do business with Clyde Armory and let me friends know to avoid them as well.

That is all.

Redbeardsong
08-01-14, 20:24
Fair response! I was trying to be humorous.

Hold it against me personally, and not the company I work for. Every A2 grip I've seen comes out of packaging with that white stuff on it. It's nothin to worry about.

I apologize if I offended you. :)

bfoosh006
08-17-14, 12:24
I would be willing to bet it is powder from the Latex gloves that they wear when test firing the firearm.

Displaced Okie
08-17-14, 13:08
It's a little known fact that during production Colt has to soak the A2 grip in liberal tears (the only thing liberals are known to produce) to keep their government contracts. Fortunately for us, anything from a liberal is easily removed by minimal cleaning or work, so wiping it down with an oily rag or just simply using the rifle will leave the grip nice and pretty...and free of liberal influence (unfortunately for residents in more authoritarian states like CA and NY, the liberal influence on the rest of your rifle is much harder to remove) :)

dentron
08-17-14, 13:10
It's a little known fact that during production Colt has to soak the A2 grip in liberal tears (the only thing liberals are known to produce) to keep their government contracts. Fortunately for us, anything from a liberal is easily removed by minimal cleaning or work, so wiping it down with an oily rag or just simply using the rifle will leave the grip nice and pretty...and free of liberal influence (unfortunately for residents in more authoritarian states like CA and NY, the liberal influence on the rest of your rifle is much harder to remove) :)
:rofl: this just made my morning.

Iraqgunz
08-17-14, 19:14
I think we can close this now.