PDA

View Full Version : Scar 17 muzzle break question

Amur
07-29-14, 22:14
Let's say you decided you wanted a scar 17, lived in NJ and, had to permanent attach a "muzzle break".

Can you think of anything better that's cutting it to 14.0" and perm attaching a MAMS? (by Marvin Pitts) this would be your only 308 semi auto rifle.

Other than move out of the state that is...

Amur
07-29-14, 22:15
One last thing. My only objective is a great all around rifle and general badassery!

HKGuns
07-29-14, 22:25
One last thing. My only objective is a great all around rifle and general badassery!

Oh boy, this is likely to get good.

You already ruled out my recommendation, as in general, there are no badassery's living in New Jeysey.

Amur
07-29-14, 22:47
At least when I move out of state I could get a kac CQB 308 can.....

Plasman
07-29-14, 23:13
Let's say you decided you wanted a scar 17, lived in NJ and, had to permanent attach a "muzzle break".

Can you think of anything better that's cutting it to 14.0" and perm attaching a MAMS? (by Marvin Pitts) this would be your only 308 semi auto rifle.

Other than move out of the state that is...

Are you looking for a muzzle brake, compensator, or flash hider?

I didn't think the MAMS was worth the increased price over some of the other .30cal offerings (yes, I own one, and no, it's not the best in performance to me from a purely muzzle movement perspective).

Amur
07-29-14, 23:23
Are you looking for a muzzle brake, compensator, or flash hider?

I didn't think the MAMS was worth the increased price over some of the other .30cal offerings (yes, I own one, and no, it's not the best in performance to me from a purely muzzle movement perspective).

I can not own a flash hider. It is inherently too evil.

I know the MAMS cost more money but at this point I am looking for the least blasty comp/MB that still maintains an appropriate level of long term awesomeness.

-A

Amur
07-29-14, 23:28
And by badassery and awesomeness I would better define it as:

1) Still would want the gun if I moved for example to PA or
2) Has resale value a few years down the road out side of just my state

No one wants a scar with a 16" barrel and per attached PWS. At least a 14" with pinned MAMS would be cool and have the chance to be attractive at some level outside NJ as well.

MorphCross
07-29-14, 23:55
Have you considered Linear compensators like the Noveske KX5, or does Joiwsey not like those either?

BaronFitz
07-30-14, 17:37
I'd stick a BABC on the end and call it good. If you escape the DPRNJ, you can get it removed if you so desire, though it will probably trash the comp. I have one on my 17S, and it's (I think) less blasty than the factory PWS. People in adjacent lanes twitch less anyway when I press the trigger. Also doesn't count as a FH according to BATFE...not sure if DPRNJ has other criteria.

Alpha-17
07-30-14, 18:21
No one wants a scar with a 16" barrel and per attached PWS.

Huh. Odd. I like my 17S just fine with the 16" barrel and PWS brake. Even permanently attached, I don't see how it would be damaging resale value.

Plasman
07-30-14, 22:00
I know the MAMS cost more money but at this point I am looking for the least blasty comp/MB that still maintains an appropriate level of long term awesomeness.

-A

If you're looking for "less blasty" then you probably won't want the MAMS. I had my friend stand next to me while I shot a bunch of various .30cal muzzle devices on my MWS and rate how bad it was. He said the MAMS was worse than the FSC30.

Personally, I don't mind the FSC30, and I like the Griffin Flash Comp the most. Screw being next to one of those Surefire brakes though!

Failure2Stop
07-31-14, 07:48
All 7.62 devices are loud and concussive if they do anything for recoil reduction.
If you don't want that, get a flash hider or suppressor.

Alpha-17
08-02-14, 09:16
All 7.62 devices are loud and concussive if they do anything for recoil reduction.
If you don't want that, get a flash hider or suppressor.

The Bravo Company Gunfighter Comp seems to have a good reputation on 17Ss over on the FNForum. Seems to over both reduced blast and noise compared to the PWS comp, but keeps similar recoil reduction.

ScottsBad
08-02-14, 14:04
I guess if you feel you must replace the PWS go for it, but it most likely will not help resale. As for cutting down the barrel, I personally wouldn't and haven't even considered it, but I guess it depends on your intended purpose for the rifle. 16" is a decent compromise barrel length for the 17.