John Chapman
06-11-08, 19:56
We still have a couple spots left....

Larry Vickers CQB Instructor Course
Hosted by LMS Defense

Dates: July 20-23, 2008

Instructor: Larry Vickers

Price: $1,200.00
Agency discounts are available for LE/MIL. Please contact LECoordinator@LMSDefense.com for details.

This Larry Vickers instructor level course is designed to give the experienced professional operator training points and skill building exercises they can use to design their own CQB training programs. Topics Vickers will cover include principals of CQB, approaches and breaching, hallways and T intersections, room entry and domination, target discrimination, low light CQB, and surgical shooting
exercises.

Duration: 4 days

Prerequisites: Registration in this course is limited to Law Enforcement, Military, and vetted qualified individuals. Please e-mail creds and resume or letter of introduction and resume to Questions@LMSDefense.com with the subject line of "CQB Instructor course creds".

To register go to http://www.lmsdefense.com/lms/home/courseinstance/151

Larry Vickers
06-11-08, 21:43
This class will specialize in LE style CQB and how and where it differs from Military style CQB - I have had alot of requests for this class and I assure you it will be a good one

Not to be missed for those that qualify

Be safe

LAV

FJB
06-11-08, 21:46
Larry,
I had hoped to attend, but my API schedule has me elsewhere that week. Look forward to seeing you on Friday. Bringing my son and some his friends to hang with the meat eaters for a day. Don't be afraid to keep things spicey. It is good for them.

S/F

Patrick Aherne
06-12-08, 00:18
I am going to be there.

NCPatrolAR
07-24-08, 23:08
Any updates from those attending?

Patrick Aherne
07-25-08, 00:11
I am tired, my gear is dirty and I learned I need to learn more about CQB and take more training. The training opened my eyes to alot of possibilities and liabilities about the subject. I think I will be processing the info imparted for the next few weeks.

I highly recommend training with Larry Vickers.

BigRed
07-25-08, 01:38
Excellent course and a great group of guys to train with. I learned alot from both Larry and the other students.

Still writing/drawing things out so I don't forget the knowledge that was passed on.

Steve
07-25-08, 07:32
i heard larry did a great job....

Jay Cunningham
07-25-08, 07:34
Moved thread to new forum.

zushwa
07-25-08, 11:47
It was great meeting you guys. I also not only learned a ton from LAV but also learned quite a bit from the students.

I mentioned to Larry on the way home that 4 or 5 more interations of this class and I might have a clue.

Later,

Wayne Dobbs
07-26-08, 11:33
Who's doing the course review on this?

NCPatrolAR
08-07-08, 14:20
No review yet?

MaceWindu
08-07-08, 14:37
Gents,

I personally did not attend, but here is an AAR from another board:

Guys

On July 20th - 23rd I was able to attend the Vickers CQB Instr. Course. The following is a brief review of the course.

DAY 1

Day one started with Larry doing a short introduction on himself and gave brief overview of what the course would consist of. After this we entered the sims shoot house which was on the property. This house was huge, I am assuming at least 5000 square feet. It was just a maze of rooms, halls, and hallway intersections.

Once we entered the building, Larry talked about each persons area of responsibility during room entries. He cover the difference between strong wall and L-Shaped entries. I am not going to into detail on this because of op-sec reasons. After an in-depth discussion on this and several runs we moved on to hallway movement and Hallway intersections. He spoke about the positives and negatives of flowing down the center of the hall as opposed to dominating rooms. Larry seemed to like room to room movement compared to hallway flow. We worked on all three points above for approximately 4 hours . We were broken down into three teams of 4 guys each, and worked on team movement. We finished up the morning portion with this.

After a quick lunch (30 mins) we moved over to the square range for live fire work. Larry has a series of drills he uses to teach students how to maximize accuracy. These consist of dry fire, and live fire drills. They are worked solo and with a partner. This finished out the first day of the course.

DAY 2
Day 2 started with all of the students meeting at the hotel in Fernely and carpooling into Reno. We arrived at a large commercial building in a very non-cop friendly part of Reno. This building allowed us to work on more team movement drills. The building included two stairwells and several other interesting rooms that required some serious thinking. The building had no electricity which allowed us to get Larry's point of view on flashlight use and movement.

All teams had the chance to enter different points of the building and move through it at their own pace. If they were uncomfortable or not sure of an area to work, Larry would come by and provide assistance. We broke for lunch after working several areas in the building.

During lunch, Larry gave a lecture and demo on Vehicle Assaults. Very similar to how my team is already doing them. Still the information was great to review.

After several run in this building, Larry set up scenarios which required us to use multiple breech points combining all three teams. This showed the importance of communication, and the need for teams to work together to avoid friendly fire situations. Larry also discussed the way teams should flow through a building to avoid this type of situation. This was another area that is somewhat sensitive in nature.

The day concluded with Larry giving a discussion on Linear/Tubular Assaults. Short and sweet but it worked very well with the class.

DAY 3

Day started on the range again working with both pistol and carbine. The warm up drills we used to get us ready for what Larry calls his "confidence drills". These drills consist of the students shooting next to and around each other. At no time did Larry put us in a position that was unsafe or made me feel uncomfortable. The drills absolutely enforced accuracy. These drills were used for preparation to get into the shoot house and the live fire drills we were going to experience.

After leaving the range, the students were given a chance to do more dry runs in the shoot house working on flow drills and team movement.

After finishing up with the live fire, we broke for lunch. While students were eating, Larry took the time to place target inside.
The live fire portion or the house is where all of this worked up too. Unfortunately only 50 percent of the students had ever been in a live fire shoot house. This is common among todays LE agencies which is sad. For the students who had never had the chance to shoot in live fire, it made them see the importance of accuracy and situational awareness demands set by Larry.

Each 4 man team got to make several passes in the shoot house during the afternoon portion of the class. We ended with a debrief of the runs each team made.

DAY 4

Day 4 started out with Larry covering a review of movement again. Each team was allowed to "warm up" and work on their movement before we went live fire. After an hour or so of this, each team agreed that we were ready to do more live fire runs. All teams completed a run with the targets in the same location as the Day 3 to start off with. This was to help with everyones confidence before getting the targets switched up.......Larry is a tough guy to please, and in this situation rightfully so!

After lunch the targets were moved inside of the house and the teams completed more live runs. The last run of the day for each team consisted of running the shoot house with your rifle slung, utilizing your pistol for all shots.

This concluded the course. I came away with several things that were enforced to me. The need for teams to work together is as important as firearms skills. They go away if not practiced. Accuracy is most important in CQB. The close proximity to which this environment takes place requires surgical precision. I have shot in several shoot houses before and again this was reinforced. I learned a few new tactics and techniques that I will bring with me to training and hopefully put into practice.

Overall the class was excellent and Larry did an outstanding job teaching a TON of information in a very short amount of time. I would take this course again without hesitation.

Mace

NCPatrolAR
08-08-08, 01:04