PDA

View Full Version : Just finished the book "Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip"

Tacti-square
07-30-14, 20:02
Had some issues finding the correct sub forum, hope a mod can help.

Scott McEwen and Thomas Koloniar had their work cut out for them with this novel. It covers everything from an unsanctioned SEAL drop into Iran to a radical Muslim group holding a female US pilot hostage to an activated USAF Winchester order (every aircraft at SOG's disposal is called in to blow stuff up). It was an enjoyable thriller.

There were some aspects of it which I knew would be snicker points here on M4C. Among them are the corny profanity jokes between operators, Rambo-like renegades and non-government weapon use. The main character uses a Remington MSR... with subsonic rounds... and a general has an aid who carries matching Glocks in shoulder harnesses. It was clearly written for people with little to no shooting or combat experience, especially the mission sequences. It's a gamer's wet dream, insurgents practically gushing blood with every hit. The parts that got old quick for me were the whole solitary hunter theme of one guy going in with no air recon or squad and taking out 10-20 baddies in 10 seconds with a precision rifle. C'mon. Also the amount of order defiance and AWOL activity was just ridiculous, even for a DEVGRU FOB.

Overall an interesting and fun read, and I would recommend it if you can suspend reality for a few chapters at a time.

austinN4
07-31-14, 06:06
Thanks for posting. This was on my To Read list but you post just saved me the time and trouble.