PDA

View Full Version : KMR Railed Upper Receiver Swap?

elephantrider
07-30-14, 23:24
I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but here goes...

I've got a BCM KMR complete upper inbound and I wanted to swap the upper receiver to a Vltor MUR. There wont be any issue with removing the KMR rail and loosening the barrel nut with the gas block and tube still in place? I assume there is no issue as long as I don't hit the gas tube with the barrel nut wrench right? I thought I'd ask just in case I am forgetting something. Thanks

Laust
07-31-14, 00:14
Your good to go, thats the setup i have with a bcm ss 410 barrel, don't be in a hurry to get it done, you might need a hairdryer and rubber mallet.
It will be easier than you think.

Iraqgunz
07-31-14, 07:01
I did the exact same thing. Make sure to use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the barrel not. Be advised you will need a Reaction Rod or similar to install the MUR as it will not fit in clamshell block.

Airhasz
07-31-14, 11:08
What advantages are to be gained swapping in the MUR for the BCM receiver

markm
07-31-14, 11:17
The MUR is stiffer, and just a little bit nicer than a mil spec upper. But if I was running an ELW barrel... I probably wouldn't go to the trouble.

BufordTJustice
07-31-14, 11:20
I did the exact same thing. Make sure to use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the barrel not. Be advised you will need a Reaction Rod or similar to install the MUR as it will not fit in clamshell block.
I also find that a spare rail-mounted carry handle/rear sight made it much easier to work the rail off after heating.

elephantrider
07-31-14, 14:22

Heat gun, check. Reaction Rod, check. Thanks for the confirmation.