PDA

View Full Version : I've had enough!!! I'm going to kill them!!!!! I need a pellet gun.

RIDE
07-31-14, 16:11
They will NOT win!!!

I've decided I just have to take them out.

I can't, I won't, take it anymore.

I have a swallow problem.. NO!! Not that kind of swallow... The type of bird!!!!

These gosh dang swallows just will not give up... I tried to play nice.

I knew they'd be back when Spring came, to swoop around and crap all over our front entry way.

So out of the kindness of my heart, I decided to go the humane route.. I went to the local Farm & Home store, and got this "Bird Deterrent Reflective ribbon"... It worked! for a day!!! I had to unfold and extend the little giant ladder, climb up to the top of the arched, covered, entry way, and add MORE ribbon...

Nope.. not enough... I lug the little giant (not sure what exactly is little about it?) back out, unfold, extend, climb, apply MORE ribbon...
Each day I'm spraying down the nest as they build it.. 3 to 8 times a day,, hosing down any progress they make.. While they watch, possible mocking me, possibly angry... but watching, and swooping.
I've got all this stupid ribbon, that the swallows must now merely consider decoration for their future home as it sure isn't stopping them.

Back to the Farm store.. an OWL!!!! I buy a fake plastic owl....

Ribbons everywhere.. a stupid big-eyed owl hanging up there...

The swallows ignore and keep building... day in, day out.

I continue to hose down their progress at least 5 times a day...

We leave on vacation for a week..

We come back, the nest is completed, and now has eggs in it..

Ok... a truce, a cease-fire.. I decide to leave them undisturbed until the eggs hatch and the babies can fly.

My kids are looking through the window each morning at the 3 skinny featherless babies each morning, watching the the mom feed them, watching them grow bigger, grow feathers, then, balance on the edge hesitating to jump for a fews day... It's like national geographic in the eves of my entry way..

My kids love it... But I know their numbers are increasing....

The babies fly... gone for about a week, and now they're back. For the past 3 weeks, it's this constant hosing, and spraying off bird crap daily from the porch/sidewalk.

It's time for the end game.

I need a pellet gun. I want a quality pellet gun that is well made, accurate, etc.

Any recommendations? Please!

lunchbox
07-31-14, 16:24
:lol: I'm sorry guy but that's too funny.

ALCOAR
07-31-14, 16:28
Personally speaking I'd continue to be a good human, and let the birds remain in peace. We're talking about death sentences for shitting your sidewalk. The birds aren't operating on a high enough level of intelligence to know they're doing anything wrong. They're just doing what comes natural to them...dropping a deuce when they feel that "little urge" :)

ETA: Your kids won't forgive you either.

Moose-Knuckle
07-31-14, 16:37
Damn, mice and swallows . . . good thing BCM is runnings sales on their complete uppers!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?156030-Operation-Mouse-Kill

Doc Safari
07-31-14, 16:42
I had a swallow problem years ago. Luckily I caught them building their nest before they finished it. I simply destroyed the nest every day, and if I caught them coming back with building materials I swatted at them with a broom.

Even after I ran them off, some chemical signature or something caused them to come back the subsequent two or three years. I finally had to glue bird spikes to the wall where they tried to build their nest and they never came back.

Eurodriver
07-31-14, 17:03
I finally had to glue bird spikes to the wall where they tried to build their nest and they never came back.

This is a much more humane answer.

I'm all about shooting shit, but little swallows? That your kids like to watch? Come on...

RIDE
07-31-14, 17:14
Lol.. I know I know. I can't shoot the freaking things.. But my goodness they are so incredibly determined. It's crazy!
Bird spikes won't work in this location. The area they build in is about 20' up has 4 different walls.. Each that are about 4' high and 4' wide. Just a lot of space for them to choose from.

I'm now thinking of trying to cover the area with netting.

The battle goes on!

Doc Safari
07-31-14, 17:22
Swallows are actually a protected species since they eat insects like mosquitoes. I did some reading at the time (over 5 years ago), and it's illegal to destroy their nests once they're established. I was in a real race against time to make sure I stopped them from building a nest or I'd have had to put up with them.

Swallows are filthy vermin. They drop their poop right below their nests, and their poop carries diseases that humans can catch.

Filthy, filthy birds.

I have no use for them or damn pigeons. I also don't have any use for people who think filthy, loud, annoying pigeons are cute little cuddly doves. :D

(Technically pigeons and doves are the same species).

Moose-Knuckle
07-31-14, 17:27
I don't care if its a flash mob home invasion, field mice, or birds . . . a man has the right to defend his castle by God!

Good luck as the battle rages . . .

RIDE
07-31-14, 17:44
Grrrreat!!!!! :(
Just found this rid-bit of info on the web regarding deterring swallows:

Frightening:
Not effective for barn or cliff swallows.
Repellents:
Not effective.

Apparently they are like roaches... with wings!!!!

SpankMonkey
07-31-14, 18:08
Get a fake snake and place it up there. All done.

SkiDevil
07-31-14, 18:57
http://www.abolishpestcontrol.com/swallownests.htm

I am unable to differentiate between different species of birds. I like birds fine until they start shitting all over my weights and porch. Once that occurs they are fair game and will end up on the receiving end of a .22 slug or .20 caliber pellet.

Oh, I forgot how fun it is when they shit all over your car too.

P.S. Beeman, Walther, Benjamin, Sheridan airguns are great options. I hear frozen paint balls work great on larger birds too.

What about a cat?

Airhasz
07-31-14, 19:05
Knock the nests down and spray wasp killer in the area. I can't see them wanting to nest and breed in that toxic environment.

Eurodriver
07-31-14, 20:07
This thread reminds me of:

(Skip to 4:36)

http://youtu.be/h8Kv5-e1XRc?t=4m36s

T2C
07-31-14, 20:20
Pick up a large, hungry, nasty, unruly, alley cat and put his food bowl where the birds gather.

RIDE
07-31-14, 20:21
Pick up a large, hungry, nasty, unruly, alley cat and put his food bowl where the birds gather.

The birds are nesting about 20' from the ground.. They're birds.
These birds are no match for a cat.
;)

RIDE
07-31-14, 20:25
This thread reminds me of:

(Skip to 4:36)

http://youtu.be/h8Kv5-e1XRc?t=4m36s

Nice!

T2C
07-31-14, 20:28
The birds are nesting about 20' from the ground.. They're birds.
These birds are no match for a cat.
;)

Birds go to ground at some point during the day. The cat should take care of the problem.

lunchbox
07-31-14, 20:38
Pick up a large, hungry, nasty, unruly, alley cat and put his food bowl where the birds gather.Ya but after the bird problem you have a nasty, unruly, alley cat problem:D

SteyrAUG
07-31-14, 20:48
I bet if you pissed in a plastic cup and poured it in their nest, you'd never see them again.

Scrubber3
07-31-14, 20:59
Your original plan was terrific and is a bunch of fun. I use a pellet rifle for the starlings though. Works wonders and takes care of any boredom issues at the same time.

Jellybean
07-31-14, 21:23
I bet if you pissed in a plastic cup and poured it in their nest, you'd never see them again.

Asymmetrical warfare at it's finest!

Of course climbing a ladder with a cup of nice warm pee in one hand....
Sounds like a job for the good idea fairy!

scottryan
07-31-14, 21:43
****ing busy body neighbors have six bird feeders just on their side of our property line

Birds roost in locust tree in my front yard. They shit all over my driveway and car.

There is so much bird shit I have to step over little land mines when I walk up to my front door.

SteyrAUG
07-31-14, 22:20
Asymmetrical warfare at it's finest!

Of course climbing a ladder with a cup of nice warm pee in one hand....
Sounds like a job for the good idea fairy!

I use my ninja skills to load the cup once I'm at the destination. Of course no hands, on the top of a ladder requires ninja skills. You can always go the water jug with a cap route if you don't have confidence in your ninja abilities. I also find it is the pouring of urine which requires paying attention more than the transportation of urine.

T2C
07-31-14, 22:35
Ya but after the bird problem you have a nasty, unruly, alley cat problem:D

So the plan is not perfect. :D

SteveS
08-01-14, 20:11
You mean Bambi Swallows !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ledanek
08-01-14, 20:14
reminds me of this
http://static.neatorama.com/images/uploads/2007/08/birdsowl.jpg

SpeedRacer
08-01-14, 20:33
I use my ninja skills to load the cup once I'm at the destination. Of course no hands, on the top of a ladder requires ninja skills. You can always go the water jug with a cap route if you don't have confidence in your ninja abilities. I also find it is the pouring of urine which requires paying attention more than the transportation of urine.

A true ninja wouldn't need a cup.

Or ladder. :D

Endur
08-02-14, 04:46
I had a swallow problem...

and then I divorced it.

Shao
08-02-14, 05:30
I had a swallow problem...

and then I divorced it.

BLAM! But seriously folks. I live by the rules that my father taught me as a young lad - don't shoot it unless you're going to eat it - unless it's a person or insect.

I broke this rule twice and paid dire consequences in the form of near instant karma. I will describe one of these events to keep from having to write a novel.

I'm warning you - this may be a long read, but you may find it educational or at the very least humorous.

I was 17 when I killed my first innocent warm-blooded creature. It was on a dare. It was a still, cloudless spring day (note the cloudless part, it's important). I was in my backyard with my Sheridan Silver Streak .20, showing off for a couple of friends. I was shooting daisies and splitting twigs from 70-80 feet or so. After many unsuccessful attempts by my buddies to match my accuracy, I was challenged to shoot a lone bird flying so high that it took me a while to locate it. I have no idea at what altitude it was flying at, but it looked like a small flapping dot. I lined up my sights, tracked its flight path, then led it by a couple of inches before letting a Crow Magnum loose. The bird tumbled out of the sky much to my amazement. We searched for its corpse and found it in a neighbor's yard. It was a swallow or equivalent tiny bird (this was 20 years ago). The entry wound was located right between its legs with the exit wound blowing a large chunk of its throat out. A perfect shot. My friends were amazed but I played it off all cool like I was expecting success.

Immediately afterwards we decided to make a drive to the nearest convenience store (located about 2 miles away) to grab drinks and snacks. Now remember - this was a completely cloudless day - like not even a hint of the wispy feathery clouds (too lazy to google cloud nomenclature). I don't remember the exact temperature of course, but it was t-shirt weather and the sun was blazing.

Well, we made it exactly half way before my friend's Supra (his rich Asian parents owned a flooring store) developed a flat. It was still sunny and the sky was as blue as could be. We made the decision to walk the rest of the way to buy a can of fix-o-flat and our coveted junk food. I shit you not - within 2-3 minutes of walking, a cold wind started blowing. Ominous black clouds formed overhead in what seemed like an instant and God/Buddha/Vishnu/The ghost of Jerry Garcia dropped the temperature into the 40s and started pelting us with the mother of all downpours. We ran like crazy the rest of the way, soaking wet and freezing our asses off. We finally made it to the store, bought the fix-a-flat and our sustenance, and then waited at least 45 minutes for the rain to subside, which it never did. So, being the 17 year old boys that we were (that invincible feeling... I miss it), we made like LA riot looters and made a mad dash for my friends car, soaking wet and freezing the entire time. After reaching our destination, we applied the temporary tire fix just to watch it leak out of the tire and mix with the rising rain water. We huddled in the car for another 30 minutes, waiting for the rain to subside. Once we realized that we were in the middle of the storm of the century, we decided to make the remaining 1 mile dash back to my place.

I couldn't make this up if I tried - it rained the entire horrible run back to the house until we were about 10 feet from my front door - then... it stopped! The clouds parted and the sun came back out, the temperature rising to a comfortable level again. It was the most freakishly quick weather change I've experienced my whole life and I live in TX. I always chalked it up to either karma or breaking my pop's rules that I had lived by for 10-11 years. I'll save the other story for another time but I will disclose that it involved a Glock 23, a turkey buzzard, and falling tree limbs.

Anyway, if you absolutely MUST kill these innocent creatures and don't plan on turning them into appetizers, I would suggest that you pick up a vintage Sheridan in .20 - the most accurate anything that I've ever shot, just remember my story before pulling that trigger the first time.

Averageman
08-02-14, 10:07
I hate those damned things.
They made a nest next to my door when I deployed and I swear the front doorway was covered with white crap.
I tore the nests down and applied amonia based cleaners until I got the whole disaster fixed.I kept tearing the nests down and taking a broom to them when they got close to the door. Since then we have repainted the house and they haven't nested there again.

I once read a story about a guy in Alaska having a porcupine nest under his cabin. All winter long that thing kept him awake nights as it scurried and scratched. When spring came he caught the porcupine in the open and shot it in the head, he was so outraged at the thing he poured gas on it and set it ablaze.
The porcupine being on grazed and dazed ran back to his nest and the whole cabin burned down.

Crow Hunter
08-03-14, 11:16
I used to have the same problem.

My wife bought, get this, an Angry Birds wind chime.:rolleyes: This one has the green Pig head on it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Angry-Birds-Wind-Chime/24028014

She turned the Piggy's head so that it was looking at where the birds were building. They attacked it for about a week but then gave up and moved on.

Much cheaper than a quality pellet rifle and less work. You should give it a try. Worse case you have something to give your kids.

Honu
08-03-14, 19:33
when I was young I could piss 20 feet :) just stand up wind and aim :)

or climb the ladder high enough figure a rung for every 5 years :) at how far ya can shoot now :)

our house has issues with pigeons so we have those spikes everywhere which seem to work now if I can just get the darn wood pecker out of our fireplace !!! the thing gets on the metal hood and goes to town all the time and sends quite the racket down into our home !!!!