PDA

View Full Version : Sub-Compact Choice: Ruger LCR-X vs Walther PPS vs Glock 42

azeriosu85
08-01-14, 09:13
So I have been trying my best to carry my G17 AIWB lately. Working for most part, but these 100+ degree days kill it. Plus I need something smaller for when I ride my bicycle to work. I have only glocks at the moment and only 9mm. Not too worries about adding a new caliber if it's for a sub compact.

My Options are:

Ruger LCR-X (hammer version) $375

Walther PPS 9mm (1 mag no box) $400

Glock 42 (If i can find one) $400ish

Any option I left out

I kind of like the idea of a revolver as it seems a safer option with a hammer when riding my bicycle.
Thanks for your time guys!

backcast88
08-01-14, 09:24
PPS.

I like the G42 size and how it shoots but lets face it, its probably has the weakest of the 3 in terms of power. My second choice would be the LCR without the hammer. I am not a fan of a hammer on a carry revolver. Just not something I would personally want to have, unless it was a shrouded hammer like a Smith 638.

If your considering the PPS also look at the S&W Shield. Very similar size and I like the trigger a lot better then the PPS. Also the Shield mags are lower cost and easier to find.

Up1911fan
08-01-14, 09:41
Shield.

demkofour
08-01-14, 10:25
PPS. There are plenty of very slim Kydex IWB, AIWB and OWB holsters out there that will make it disappear. And YMMV, but I had both the Shield9 and the PPS at the same time. Shield9 went. PPS is more ergonomic, and does not require the expense of Apex parts to get the trigger up to snuff. And the magazines are a brute to load during long shooting sessions...
I have no experience with the G42 platform, but I do know that it's a .380, that about the same size as my PM9, but obviously lighter and apparently smoother shooting. It would probably fit nicely as a deep concealed pistol, especially for bicycling...

Funkenstein
08-01-14, 10:27
I just ordered a Glock 42. I have carried .380 for awhile but also rotate my G19 in.

Obviously 9mm is a better round but .380 is usually more compact and still packs a punch.

Biggest thing to me with sub-compact pistols is reliability. Glock obviously has a good track record in that area.

signal4l
08-01-14, 12:44
Shield.

This. I carry one daily. One of the best guns I have owned.

azeriosu85
08-01-14, 13:35
UPDATE:

I can get a 9mm Walther PPS 9mm for $360 with one mag 8rd (made in Italy) and no case

Should I buy buy it?

turnburglar
08-01-14, 15:59
I paid $250 for a ruger lcp.

Living in Vegas, I carry my g19 daily. 110+ doesn't matter. However my lcp is the gun I will never sell or trade for any reason.

calviroman
08-01-14, 16:09
Shield 9mm w/o safety, 7 round flush mag, Trijicon HD sights, and an 8-round mag as a backup. The Apex sear is about $30 and gives it a great trigger. Shields are selling for $350'ish right now.

timbo813
08-01-14, 21:38
Shield is great for appendix carry when the glock is a little big. I got one and I am using the sticky holster while I wait for my good holster to get here. It is a great combination of concealability and shootability.

Edit. Pps seems like another good choice in the same size range. Never shot one so I can't compare them.

evi1joe
08-02-14, 09:24
I didn't like the feel of the PPS (and weird backstrap safety)...and the LCRs will skip cylinders or freeze up if you pull too fast (and don't let them fully reset--which happened to me a lot, as a glock person). The g42 is probably great, but I can carry 7+1 in my much smaller LCP with a great feel (hogue handall hybrid) and CT laser, for a similar price and less weight.

I vote for the Shield--though I felt the Apex KIT and the Apex trigger improve it 150%...as well as a support thumb stipple job and trigger guard undercut. And when you install it, you may as well put new sights on--I liked the idot.

masakari
08-02-14, 09:27
This. I carry one daily. One of the best guns I have owned.

M&P Shield, hands down. $329 from Grant I think.

MegademiC
08-02-14, 12:45
PPS or shield. That's a great price on pps, but I have no experience with them. I love the shield, I can get a fist size group shooting a semi fast pace at 7yds. I don't feel the trigger is a problem with either of my m&ps.

Edit: I should also add I have quite a few rounds downrange with mine, and it has been 100% reliable, as any ccw gun should be.

Hmac
08-02-14, 12:59
PPS. I have one and so does my wife. Utterly reliable, very accurate. Very concealable. I prefer OWB or a 5.11 holster shirt, depending on the clothing. I ignore the backstrap thing for field stripping and just leave it attached full-time. I don't think that the backstrap has ever been off either my gun or my wife's.

Seems like a good price on the PPS you're looking at, but make sure it's current version. BA date code had a (mostly theoretical IMHO) issue with the slide stop spring occasionally slipping off and locking up the slide. Not an issue with BB date code and later. Also, check to make sure the disconnector has an S stamped on it. Otherwise it may be a Massachusetts trigger pull.

para13cord
08-02-14, 13:26
M&P Shield, hands down. $329 from Grant I think.

+1.. especially now that you cant get it without the safety

evi1joe
08-02-14, 13:37
I didn't realize the non-safety Shields were in the wild already. If THEY can be found for $329-$349, then I'll definitely pick one up--and just transfer all the Apex stuff and trigger into it.

t1tan
08-02-14, 15:20
Do a search, there have been a lot of comparisons between the Shield and PPS over the past couple years.

For several reasons I've mentioned before, I decided on a PPS and have not regretted it.

SteveS
08-02-14, 16:15
I tried a Shield at the range a few weeks ago and I was most impressed.

indawire
08-02-14, 22:07
I just picked up .40 PPS with 3 mags for $350 but that was a vg deal, I expected to pay much more, right place, right time. Just ran a white box of Winchester, Winchester practice loads, CCI aluminum case and local reloads thru it, not a bobble with any of them. Recoil was not an issue for me, the trigger is nothing to right home about, it's gritty and nowhere in the same league as my PPQ. I wanted something slim for CC so I'll try it for awhile.

jyo
08-03-14, 02:08
I've had a 9mm PPS for several years now---like it a lot---good reliable, slim pistol...

mig1nc
08-03-14, 06:12
Hell, a PPS for $360? These sell for well over that every day on Gunbroker. I'd snatch it up, try it out, and if I didn't like it, sell it and make a profit.

teutonicpolymer
08-03-14, 18:46
I would get one of the newer Shields with no thumb safety or a G26

Why?
-The LCR-X is a revolver
-The PPS mag release doesn't work for me
-The Glock 42 is a .380

evi1joe
08-03-14, 18:59
I think I could get used to the paddle-release....on other guns (HKs), with practice, I liked it more.
But I was sold on the PPS until I held it and a Shield at the same time....the Shield was a bit smaller, but felt a lot better. For that price, you may as well get the PPS if you like the feel. Even if you can get a safety-less Shield, for $350, I feel like it needs $150 in Apex and $100 in sights to be a GREAT gun (but then, I like a Glock-like trigger feel, and two-dot sights).

I've heard nothing but rave reviews from PPS owners, even though I love the Shield.

wildcard600
08-03-14, 19:07
I'll be that guy and vote for the LCR. never been a big fan of the tiny autos myself. Plus sometimes I like to carry my J-frame in a coat or jacket pocket and knowing I can fire multiple rounds without removing the weapon from the pocket.

YMMV

RHINOWSO
08-03-14, 20:02
PPS / 9MM was my choice for hot weather IWB carry. I've had it for 2 months and it's been nothing but goodness.

Having said that, I do also have a 442 no lock and LCP for specific carry situations (jacket pocket carry in cold weather and rear pocket ultra discreet carry, respectively).

kevN
08-03-14, 20:51
Your choices open up more if you don't limit yourself to single stack pistols. The G26, P99c AS, M&P9c, HK p2000sk are all excellent compact pistols double stack pistols. If you are dead set on single stack, the shield or pps are your best options in 9mm. I do have a G42 and my sample of one runs well, but I think you might have more options between a G17 and single stack 380 that might fit.

Hmac
08-03-14, 21:02
Your choices open up more if you don't limit yourself to single stack pistols. The G26, P99c AS, M&P9c, HK p2000sk are all excellent compact pistols double stack pistols. If you are dead set on single stack, the shield or pps are your best options in 9mm. I do have a G42 and my sample of one runs well, but I think you might have more options between a G17 and single stack 380 that might fit.

IMHO, single stack works better for some hand sizes, and the decreased thickness of a single stack works better for concealed carry, especially IWB, with some body configurations and/or clothing styles. My wife had no interest in any of the double stacks back when she was looking for a replacement for the Colt Mustang she'd been carrying, and the Shield wasn't out yet. She has a hard enough time concealing the PPS but likes the thinness of the grip far better. No interest in the Shield. No interest in carrying a .380.

Dump1567
08-03-14, 21:17
I like the G42, but it can be finky with certain ammo.

Don't overlook the Beretta Nano.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-knives-other-brands/364978-beretta-nano-mini-review-pics.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/IMG_2022_zpsb2f5d981.jpg