PDA

View Full Version : Tools/equipemnt needed to install BCM KMR handrail

blarf
08-01-14, 13:45
Hi,

I just ordered a KMR handrail to go on my BCM upper (with FSB).
What tools/tool brand/equipment do you recommend to make the installation as painless as possible.

thanks

Blarf

markm
08-01-14, 13:52
A Geissele reaction rod is about it... or any action block to hold the upper so you can tighten the nut. If you have a torque wrench to put the nut wrench on, that's ideal. But if you've got a shred of common sense, you can just use a socket with the supplied wrench attachment and snug it down.

I just put my handguards in the AZ sun for 10 minutes and they're 100+ degrees. Gently Tap the rail on with a rubber mallet or what ever non metal heavy item you have handy.

GH41
08-01-14, 15:15
Vise, reaction rod or action block, foot lb and in lb torque wrenches, heat gun, dead blow hammer, moly grease, barrel vise jaws, crow foot for MD, crush washer, ball peen hammer, punches to remove and install sight pin and beer. Unless you have most of this stuff already you will be way better off paying a smith to do it.

markm
08-01-14, 15:28
Vise, reaction rod or action block, foot lb and in lb torque wrenches, heat gun, dead blow hammer, moly grease, barrel vise jaws, crow foot for MD, crush washer, ball peen hammer, punches to remove and install sight pin and beer. Unless you have most of this stuff already you will be way better off paying a smith to do it.

Oh yeah... the vise and moly. All that other stuff can be McGuyvered. ;)

blarf - Where are you? Cleveland? Jersey? Maybe someone near you can do this.

blarf
08-01-14, 16:01
Oh yeah... the vise and moly. All that other stuff can be McGuyvered. ;)

blarf - Where are you? Cleveland? Jersey? Maybe someone near you can do this.

California

blarf
08-01-14, 16:04

i got some of it but not all

Ryno12
08-01-14, 16:09

Beer is actually the most important out of all of that. I can't reload or build a gun without it. In fact the more beer you have, the less of the other tools you'll need.

:sarcastic:

yhmspecter
08-01-14, 17:47
I think the hardest part of that equation is removing the FSB taper pins. If it were me I would just have a smith do it

wahoo95
08-01-14, 19:12
I think the hardest part of that equation is removing the FSB taper pins. If it were me I would just have a smith do it
I've never found this to be difficult as long as you're removing them from the correct side. Can't be afraid to hit em and use enough hammer. I typically have them out in 2-3 strikes.

Plasman
08-01-14, 19:47
California

Which part?

I installed my KMR the other week.

I used:
-heat gun (no hammer needed to slide the rail on the nut with it heated up a bunch)
-torque wrench
-breaker bar (for unscrewing barrel nut since you're supposed to torque it down a few times)
-moly grease
-gun oil (put on outside of barrel nut to ease the rail sliding over it, yes the instructions recommend this)
-vise
-reaction rod
-hammerhead tool (for muzzle device)
-loctite 242 (blue, for gas block screws)

yhmspecter
08-01-14, 21:17
I've never found this to be difficult as long as you're removing them from the correct side. Can't be afraid to hit em and use enough hammer. I typically have them out in 2-3 strikes.

I just have had no luck with BCM particularly, I agree with you for the others I have done.

markm
08-01-14, 21:54
Beer is actually the most important out of all of that. I can't reload or build a gun without it. In fact the more beer you have, the less of the other tools you'll need.

:sarcastic:

Very true. I just put an upper together tonight. First ever sober build.

markm
08-01-14, 21:56
California

If you get sketched out, or don't have anyone you like to do it. You can ship it my way. I do them 1 day turn around. I've had several guys ship to me for assembly. Cover return shipping and a 12 pack of beer, and you're done.

Slvr Surfr
08-02-14, 01:36
OP,

If you plan on doing this type stuff in the future, you may consider just biting the bullet and buying this stuff you need. My honest opinion is that NO ONE will ever care as much about your stuff as you will.

Brownells sells this for the front sight pins http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/pin-tools/taper-pin-starter-sku827530320-26485-30395.aspx?sku=827530320.

It is suggested to use a good 10-12oz hammer to strike the punch to help "facilitate" their moving. With the use of the right tools the whole job should go easily. Just don't forget to RTFM.