PDA

View Full Version : Glock sights

dmaxfireman
08-01-14, 20:45
I swapped my oem plastic sights on all my 9mm glocks for Redback One 10-8 setups right before shooting the guns and never shot much past 20-25yds before a couple weeks ago. And I was alway able to score good hits with a 6 o'clock hold. A couple weeks back I took a formal class where we did a walk back drill to 70yds and I was holding significantly low apx 18in under the base of a 9x13 steel and was still making high hits. No problem I calculated my numbers and ordered a .245 front blade to replace my .215 which looks obscenely tall but hey as long as it flattens out my trajectory and does not hang up in my holsters. During this I also ordered a set of Ameriglo Defoor sights which are oem height to try out which leads to my question,

Why the difference in sight heights from oem to different brands with a taller rear sight Ie Wilson 10-8 etc that need to be matched with taller fronts? Is there a downside to the oem glock setup?

stalker3
08-02-14, 08:29
Shouldn't cause any issues with your holsters. Stock Glock height on the front sight is .165. Most find the taller sights are easier to pick up.

With taller rear sight options, the .235 or .245 fronts have been required on most (not all) of the G19 and G17 handguns I've seen.

I avoid the RB1s and buy Heinies for this reason, so I can get the right combo without buying a .215 front.

kevN
08-03-14, 21:10
I just bought 10/8 RB1 sights for a Gen4 G17 and it was hitting 2-5 inches high depending on ammo. I went with heinie #324 .250" front and kept the same 10/8 rear and I think it's a great combo. You should consider that different ammo will usually impact differently at 25yds and factor that into your zero decision as well. Depending on the gun I've see differences of 2-3 inches between 147g JHP ammo and 115g FMJ.