PDA

View Full Version : Blue vs Green - M&P40 FS Recoil Springs

MegademiC
08-01-14, 21:02
I've had my M&P 40 for about 3 years now. No barrel dimples, blue recoil spring. Its been soft shooting and 100% reliable, using mostly Tula.

A few months ago, I had a ruptured case (Tula-oops) and sent the gun to S&W to have them look it over to ensure its safe/not damaged.

I got the gun back, and it has a green spring-used in the past only for the .357sig M&P. Using American Eagle red-boxed fmj's, I had two failure to feeds. I was slightly limp wristing(relaxed - going for max accuracy) but ive had a looser grip on the gun in the past with no issues. On top of that, the gun felt like it had way more recoil than I remember, but it may just be that I hadn't shot for a while. The spring is supposed to be an upgrade, but may need a break-in(maybe I need a break in period?).

Im going to video tape it at 120 fps (hopefully tomorrow-green spring) and compare it to past vids(blue spring). Anyone have experience with both recoil springs?

I may even get a blue spring and try them back to back.

Update. The ae crap is less accurate than Tula. Maybe that was why the FTfs previously. No malfs today, got video and will post tonight.

Who makes decently accurate fmj for a fair price? I don't want to waste $ on hps.

PdxMotoxer
08-04-14, 03:39
I have a 9c with orange spring.
and HAD a .40 FS with a blue spring.

I remember reading somewhere it was
9mm = Orange
.40/10mm = Blue
.357 = Green
.45m = Yellow

But a year or so ago they switched the blue to the slightly stronger green for less recoil.

I've had decent luck with PMC Brass. It may be kinda dirty but box after box the loads seem consistent.

C4IGrant
08-04-14, 07:24
Blue is for 9mm and green is for 357 sig and 40. You can also run it in the 9mm M&P's (this is what I run).

C4

08-04-14, 07:33
Blue is for 9mm and green is for 357 sig and 40. You can also run it in the 9mm M&P's (this is what I run).

C4

Any specific reason as to why you are running green spring?

C4IGrant
08-04-14, 07:33
Any specific reason as to why you are running green spring?

More spring tension.

C4

MegademiC
08-04-14, 22:29
What is the felt difference? Why did my 40 originally come with a blue spring? It feels like the gun recoils significantly more now, but it might just be my lack of practice(absolutely none) for about 2 months. Is there anything bad about the blue in a 40 if I like it better or is it preference?

C4IGrant
08-05-14, 08:04
What is the felt difference? Why did my 40 originally come with a blue spring? It feels like the gun recoils significantly more now, but it might just be my lack of practice(absolutely none) for about 2 months. Is there anything bad about the blue in a 40 if I like it better or is it preference?

A little less felt recoil. The blue spring was viewed as capable for the 9mm and 40. This is generally a mistake as the 40 has a lot more snap to it.

Normal SVC life of the blue spring in the 9mm is 5K. I would rate it at about half that in a 40. So you might need to do some PM's on your gun.

C4

Clint
08-05-14, 17:33
Is there an objective way to determine if the spring needs replacement?

A little less felt recoil. The blue spring was viewed as capable for the 9mm and 40. This is generally a mistake as the 40 has a lot more snap to it.

Normal SVC life of the blue spring in the 9mm is 5K. I would rate it at about half that in a 40. So you might need to do some PM's on your gun.

C4

C4IGrant
08-05-14, 21:19
Is there an objective way to determine if the spring needs replacement?

Via round count or time.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MegademiC
08-06-14, 19:25
Okay, so here's the video, slowed down 1/8 time. It looks like the slide is a little faster with the green, and looks like its not settling as much after the shot. The blue seems to go back and float for a sec, then settle on target as soon as the slide closes. The blue also felt smoother.

Could this be from the spring, or do you think my grip was not quite up to snuff(about 3 months off), I don't think its ammo (AE vs wolf), I'm pretty sure the vid in which Im wearing the black shirt with white stripes on the arm, I was shooting Q4369.

Oh, and turn the volume down, I cut and past one of the vids from one I put music to, so its all over the place.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/vinnyraf870/th_Compare_zpsb83965b2.mp4 (http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/vinnyraf870/Compare_zpsb83965b2.mp4)

Thanks for the input so far, all. I think I may just need to get used to the different recoil, but I'd like to hear opinions.