PDA

View Full Version : Well sh.t!

Whiskey&beer
08-02-14, 00:18
There's my first "Ah hell" that sucks moment of reloading!

ace4059
08-02-14, 03:08
Not enough lube on the case. Time to invest on a stuck case puller.

Tigereye
08-02-14, 06:36
If it's a Dillon, call them to walk you through removal. Been there done that. I use One Shot case lube and Dillon told me to wait a few minutes after lubing before reloading. Haven't had it happen again.

brown3345
08-02-14, 06:57
Luckily that has never happened to me. That said, I have now probably jinxed myself.

batman4706
08-02-14, 08:26
I remove the decapping assembly and use the largest punch I can get to fit and knock them out with a hammer.

anachronism
08-02-14, 08:54
Who made the dies?

Whiskey&beer
08-02-14, 16:35
That was an RCBS small base die which is now in the garbage can - I really jammed that thing up! I don't know how many times in the past I'd miss a piece of brass for whatever reason and just size it without squirting some lube on it without issues, but it bit me in the ass last night. I couldn't even pull the expander ball assembly out it was so messed up!

ace4059
08-02-14, 17:14
If u send it back to rcbs they will remove the stuck brass. Don't quote me but I think they will do it for free.

markm
08-02-14, 18:07
This has never happened to me. Use Dillon case lube and you're almost guaranteed to never have this problem. Anyone using one shot is fukking crazy. That shit is garbage.

Whiskey&beer
08-02-14, 19:12
Yup - and the "ah it's just one piece of brass" thinking burned me! That's all I use is Dillon with a few bottles sitting right there... I blame it on my whiskey/7!

I saved it from the can since Cabelas let me exchange it which was awesome since I had it for awhile. Plus I've been eying the Forster full length die and I like the idea of how the mandrel works so I ordered one. I've been thinking of going to a two step body size / neck size process but I'll see how the Forster works the brass first.

.46caliber
08-02-14, 19:13
We had something similar happen. RCBS die, one shot lube and it trashed the expander ball assy. What's the deal with the One Shot, markm?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ace4059
08-02-14, 19:48
One shot sucks on rifle brass. Dillion lube is the best for rifle brass. One shot is okay for pistol brass. They make one shot in a pump spray and an aerosol can which I've heard is the same formula but it acts differently.

Airhasz
08-02-14, 20:36
One shot sucks on rifle brass. Dillion lube is the best for rifle brass. One shot is okay for pistol brass. They make one shot in a pump spray and an aerosol can which I've heard is the same formula but it acts differently.

One shot works great for me, thousands of rounds using it. Pistol brass required NO LUBE.

.46caliber
08-02-14, 20:48

How does the behavior differ between pump and aerosol?

1_click_off
08-03-14, 09:13
I haven't used the pump, but the aerosol has some kind of solvent in it. Must need it to atomize the lube. Once you spray it on, you have to let it sit a minute to evaporate off. I would assume the pump is just lube.

ace4059
08-03-14, 09:18
One shot works great for me, thousands of rounds using it. Pistol brass required NO LUBE.

Pistol does not REQUIRE lube, but it makes it run a lot more smoothly. Especially in a progressive press.

markm
08-03-14, 09:39
I haven't used the pump, but the aerosol has some kind of solvent in it. Must need it to atomize the lube. Once you spray it on, you have to let it sit a minute to evaporate off. I would assume the pump is just lube.

The pump is anything but lube. I should be called case seize. ****ing horrible product. Never tried the aerosol though....

The icing on the cake with One Shit is that it's a pain in the ass to remove. It's the exact opposite of what you'd want in a case lube.

.46caliber
08-03-14, 10:08
We've been using the aerosol one shot. I've found the pump Dillon on a site and the description says something about it replacing the aerosol version. I take it they don't make that anymore.

Kill By Number
08-03-14, 15:35
I second the DILLON LUBE. Had 2 stuck cases with One Shot and best decision ever was getting rid of it!

rcoodyar15
08-04-14, 09:16
imperial wax

T2C
08-04-14, 10:26
I second the DILLON LUBE. Had 2 stuck cases with One Shot and best decision ever was getting rid of it!

Dillon case lube works well, but I have been going through a lot of it lately. The ingredients are easy to come by, so I may try picking up some lanolin oil and 91% isopropyl alcohol to make my own case lube.

TomD
08-04-14, 12:03
What would the mix ratio be?

jstone
08-04-14, 14:32
imperial wax

Imperial wax for the body, imperial dry neck lube for the neck. One shit just for pistol going through carbide dies.

It reduces the force eeded to size by a lot, but since I have been wet tumbling with mother car wash with carnuba it has the same effect on sizing force as one shot.

T2C
08-04-14, 20:33
What would the mix ratio be?

Some mix 1 part lanolin oil to 10 parts 91% isopropyl alcohol. I am going to try a 1:8 mix and see if it sprays out of the pump bottle.

You should warm up the lanolin oil before adding the alcohol and mixing.

ace4059
08-04-14, 21:03
How does the behavior differ between pump and aerosol?

I waited until I got home to look at the bottles to see if I could remember which one worked a little better before answering this question. I dont remember which one seemed to work a little better/smoother than the other. I think it was the pump and might have been because I was applying a little more. Also it looks like one bottle I was using was the One Shot dry lube which isnt a case lube. That could have been why I was thinking the pump lube worked better.

ace4059
08-04-14, 21:07
Im going to clean up my work table and do a thread on how to remove a stuck case so if (matter of really when) this happens to someone they can remove the stuck case easily.

yellowfin
08-04-14, 22:50
For some reason, I always seemed to have more issues with cases sticking with RCBS. Lyman hasn't been too nice to me in rifle calibers either. Hornady seems to have the least problems.

ace4059
08-05-14, 01:29
Here's a link on the thread I posted on how to remove the stuck case for future reference.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?156259-How-to-Removing-a-stuck-brass-case-from-a-sizing-die