PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy, man a lot has changed in the Marvel universe since childhood

one
08-02-14, 13:50
Well I went and saw this yesterday afternoon. I grew up on Marvel comics (Some DC too) and so I have a keen life interest instilled in me when it comes to movies being made about characters that are decades old but still loved.

First off I really enjoyed it and probably most of you would too. Who wouldn't like a movie with a smart ass talking raccoon that shoots everything in sight? That's inconceivable. I went into this one with a lot of curiosity because even
though it's "The Guardians of the Galaxy" it was pretty obvious that this isn't the same Guardians I remember following as a kid. That comic was set in the 31st century and they traveled back in time. Now it's set in the current time line.
Another character situation that was different for me was Starlord being the leader of this team. The Starlord I recall flew around in a living space ship that was born out of a star and it could change shape and take on some human forms.
He had this pistol that was an elemental gun that could shoot fire or various elements. Personally I would pick fire. That crime scene investigation post mugging would be a new one for the text books at academies world wide.

So a quick google search for answers reveals that Ship is dead? Who would kill off a living starship that can change form? Really Marvel? I left you alone in 1989 and these are the things I come back to? This is on the level of when I went to see Captain America, a film I enjoyed very much, only to find that the Howling commandos are led by DumDum Dugan in WW II and Nick Fury shows up as a black guy in the 21st century? No, no, no, Nick Fury ripped up shirts and shot Nazis with a
Thompson in WW II while leading the Howling commandos. DumDum was a corporal. I remember it, I was there, I still have the comics to prove it.

Overall I was happy with the Guardians cast. Bradley Cooper did a good job of bringing Rocket Raccoon to life. I have to say though for all the hype about Vin Diesel being "Groot" the living tree it was kind of anticlimactic. I suspect his entire performance was squeezed in between Fast and Furious 75 and 76 and entailed him walking into a recording studio. Entering while everyone stood around transfixed and saying "I am Groot" into the microphone followed by everyone clapping as he walks back out and gets into his Limo. They then hang a Hollywood stars name on the character to get the public in.

If there are any Dr. Who fans here you probably know that Karen Gillan is in the flim. Saying that, this film is worth seeing for you Whovians alone just to see how good of an actress she really is. This character couldn't have been more removed from her previous Amy Pond incarnation. You guys alone will be impressed with that.

I accidentally saw this movie in 3D. I say accidentally because I went at a time that it was all they were showing it in. I had previously saw Captain America in 3D and hated the format. So I was surprised to see that this was much better and more enjoyable a 3D experience. Now I've noticed on the screen that they have some different 3D formats. So I don't know if I saw the two in the same format or not. As I've gotten older I've noticed I don't take as much time with the world around me anymore to pay a lot of attention. It's like unboxing the new HK VP9. I noticed some comments on here in a thread about shooting it first with some 124 grain ammo that the manual suggest. Pfhhhht! I just grabbed a box of 9mmwhatever and started shooting the thing. It's doing fine. However the lawn mower is smoking a little.

...Oh yeah, The Guardians of the Galaxy. I liked it. Most of you probably will too.

MountainRaven
08-02-14, 14:12
Just going to ask: Did you dislike the fact that Tony Stark built the Iron Man Mk 1 in a cave in present day Afghanistan, instead of 1960-something Vietnam?

I don't think that Frank Castle has been a Vietnam vet in the movies since the one with Dolph Lundgren.

;)

Koshinn
08-02-14, 14:48
Just going to ask: Did you dislike the fact that Tony Stark built the Iron Man Mk 1 in a cave in present day Afghanistan, instead of 1960-something Vietnam?

I don't think that Frank Castle has been a Vietnam vet in the movies since the one with Dolph Lundgren.

;)

Yeah as the original stories get older, it's harder to make them make sense. DC fixes it by a complete reboot every decade or so. Marvel...

Magneto was a kid in the holocaust. That makes him what, 80 now? And in the midst recent comics, he's beating up 20 something assassins with his bare hands.

Punisher, as mentioned, is a guy with guns from Vietnam. He should also be ancient but is maybe 45?

Nick Fury in the comics took some sort of thing that made him age slower. I'm guessing they didn't want to steal Captain America's thunder and had him just be a regular dude without his own serum.

How has Spider-Man and his non-super girlfriend stayed roughly 20 ish for the last 50 years?

Basically, they have a few options. Make characters age in real time (give or take) and eventually replace them due to age and wear and tear.
Ignore the problem.
Reset the story periodically.

I think they need to reset, especially given the popularity of the movies and a potential audience that doesn't want to catch up on decades of crazy back story that may or may not be relevant.

one
08-02-14, 16:58

;)

He did WHAAAAAT! Actually I didn't see that movie. Actually I didn't know he built Iron man in Vietnam. Didn't read those stories that early.

MountainRaven
08-02-14, 21:06
Yeah as the original stories get older, it's harder to make them make sense. DC fixes it by a complete reboot every decade or so. Marvel...

Magneto was a kid in the holocaust. That makes him what, 80 now? And in the midst recent comics, he's beating up 20 something assassins with his bare hands.

Punisher, as mentioned, is a guy with guns from Vietnam. He should also be ancient but is maybe 45?

Nick Fury in the comics took some sort of thing that made him age slower. I'm guessing they didn't want to steal Captain America's thunder and had him just be a regular dude without his own serum.

How has Spider-Man and his non-super girlfriend stayed roughly 20 ish for the last 50 years?

Actually, Marvel did hit the reset button with the Marvel Now! series. Frank seems to be an Iraq/Afghanistan vet and is rocking Crye Combats, Oakley hard-knuckle gloves, an HK416, and a plate-carrier of uncertain origins. They've even reformed the Howling Commandos.

And they haven't really given Nick Fury much of a background in the movies.

All we know is that he's an old and very capable spook who somehow lost the use of an eye. Beyond that, he's pretty much a man of mystery. They might give him some sort of age slowing serum and make him a Vietnam vet - he might have led a VN-era group of Howling Commandos - or something. Possibly alongside Castle's father.

As for Magneto... well, he's probably a bit of a Clint Eastwood kinda guy....

He did WHAAAAAT! Actually I didn't see that movie. Actually I didn't know he built Iron man in Vietnam. Didn't read those stories that early.

Yup. Iron Man originally fought communists. And was originally captured by communists. For the movies he was captured by - and fought - Islamist radicals.

MountainRaven
08-04-14, 20:03
Saw Guardians this afternoon.

It's pretty awesome. And Nathan Fillion's cameo is so blink-and-you'll-miss-it that I didn't even realize when his cameo was until some minutes after it was over.

Koshinn
08-04-14, 20:44
Saw Guardians this afternoon.

It's pretty awesome. And Nathan Fillion's cameo is so blink-and-you'll-miss-it that I didn't even realize when his cameo was until some minutes after it was over.

I never saw him at all. I knew he was in it but didn't know where. I know now where to look, but I'll have to watch again.

aguila327
08-04-14, 21:30
I never saw him at all. I knew he was in it but didn't know where. I know now where to look, but I'll have to watch again.

Where do I look. I can't beleive I missed it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MountainRaven
08-04-14, 21:47
Big blue guy that gets Groot's "fingers" up his nose. That's Fillion.

Or at least his voice.

Kinda looks like his face in retrospect, but morphed, kinda like Sam Worthington's avatar in Avatar.

Koshinn
08-04-14, 22:46
Big blue guy that gets Groot's "fingers" up his nose. That's Fillion.

Or at least his voice.

Kinda looks like his face in retrospect, but morphed, kinda like Sam Worthington's avatar in Avatar.

I seriously thought groot was all up in his brain turning it to liquid.

fourXfour
08-05-14, 07:31
COMIC SPOILER....

I stopped collecting a few years ago, but my good friend still does. He told me they just revealed that Nick Fury was a "cosmic assassin" this whole time. He has a secret ship in space.

Initially, I thought the idea was stupid, but I'm warming up to it now.

BTL BRN
08-05-14, 13:43
I thought it was fantastic, probably my favorite Marvel film to date ... Jackson Pollack painting!!!! :eek: :D

MountainRaven
08-05-14, 20:57
I seriously thought groot was all up in his brain turning it to liquid.

Certainly could have been.

HES
08-05-14, 23:20
Karen Gillan? OMG, uber hottness. That's why the Nebula character looked so familiar. Talk about massive face palms. I never realized it. Great to see her making the transition to the big screen.

Nathan Fillion did a cameo in the film too? Oh dang it, I missed it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it having never got into that series. Having said that I will leave you with this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/frontline_01/firefly_guardians_zps649c1907.jpg

Koshinn
08-06-14, 14:46
Speaking of Punisher... this just happened:

http://i.imgur.com/3veB65J.jpg

KCBRUIN
08-06-14, 14:54
"Naveske"

Koshinn
08-06-14, 15:03
Other good company names they can use in the future:
Knight's Arsenal Company
Smith and Weston
Clipul (or Clippul or Clippull or Clipull)
Shrubmaster

one
08-06-14, 23:19
naveske. Wow.

I recall reading an issue back in the late 70's or early 80's where the Punisher tricked someone by putting the wrong ammunition in his revolver and it blew up. I believe the
premise was he slipped .357's into a .38.

Yeah. It happened. At least in the Marvel universe. And I knew it was a failure as a kid.