PDA

View Full Version : Mystery 9MM ammo

seasniper76
08-04-14, 11:03
My Father-in-Law recently cleaned out his gun cabinet and gave me some 9mm ammo that he no longer has any use for. I am a little concerned about it as the box seems rather old. Ammo looks to be in good shape. I have included some pics and would appreciate any input if anyone has a clue about the make of this stuff.
Y'all will see that the the box has some sort of what I believe to be Arabic writing. I also noticed that all the primers look as if someone has traced around them with a black magic marker(reloads maybe?). Anybody ever come across this stuff. Little worried about putting through my pistol. Don't want some cheap reload hajji ammo to blow up in my face.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/3ypane5y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/e6ega4ud.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/qyhe6ezu.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/by9age6u.jpg

ptmccain
08-04-14, 11:14
Yowzers, I would be a bit nervous to shoot it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

seasniper76
08-04-14, 11:17
I know. It's a damn shame he had like 500 rounds of the stuff, sure would make a trip to the range more cost efficient if it was any good . He Can't even remember how he came across it.

nimdabew
08-04-14, 11:17
No balls.

Seriously though, don't shoot it in a gun you care about or held by a person who's fingers you like.

MSparks909
08-04-14, 11:22
I'll shoot it for you!

seasniper76
08-04-14, 11:24
I'm gonna dump it in a deep whole in the river on my next fishing trip, Just curious if anyone else had come across this stuff and knew anything about its origins.

Dionysusigma
08-04-14, 13:25
It's Egyptian. Often packaged 36rds to a box. Loaded "hot for SMG use" (though the actual charge varies quite a bit from lot to lot), really dirty, smells bad, and quite corrosive. Sold for cheap a few years back... I'll echo the others and advise against use, unless a collector really, really wants to buy it off you.

okie john
08-04-14, 13:31
As a rule, if you wouldn't feel safe drinking the water in a country, don't shoot their ammo.

Okie John

ptmccain
08-04-14, 13:41
So no ammo from Toledo, Ohio?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dionysusigma
08-04-14, 13:49
<asinine noise, please disregard>

brickboy240
08-04-14, 13:53
Egyptian surplus.

Filthy and so-so accuracy from what I remember.

Ran some through my old G17 many years ago because it was cheap. In the early 90s, it came in boatloads and was super cheap...at every gun show.

While I would not run it through my FN Hi-Power or other nicer 9mms....if you have a beater Glock ...go for it.

These days, any ammo is good ammo even if it is filthy. It is not as if it will ruin a Glock ! LOL

-brickboy240

cynical
08-04-14, 19:46
As a rule, if you wouldn't feel safe drinking the water in a country, don't shoot their ammo.

Okie John

I am SO stealing that!

seasniper76
08-04-14, 19:47
So basically it's like the Middle Eastern version of that Thule crap that gave my AR so much trouble. Thanks for the info Gents, think I will save it till the SHTF and trade it for a can of Bennie Weenies!

okie john
08-04-14, 20:16
So no ammo from Toledo, Ohio?

NFW.

Okie John

brickboy240
08-05-14, 10:39
I dunno...I have run tons of Romanian 8x57 through my Mausers and it all shot well. Ditto for Turkish 8mm....filthy but grouped well and all went bang.

I had some British surplus 303 that had hang-fires like mad in my Enfields. Was like, "click....bang" it was like shooting a flint lock! LOL

Wouldn't drink the water in most of China either but man...what I would give for another crate of Norinco's excellent 7.62x39 to run through my SKSs and AK.

The Egyptian 9mm I had ran fine through the Glocks. Filthy...oh hell yeah but it all went bang. Ditto for Czech and Serbian made 9x19.

The water rule....well...it does not always apply.

-brickboy240

sinister
08-05-14, 11:01
Egyptian 9mm was for their Port Said copies of the Swedish K (M45B) submachinegun and the Beretta pistol. Corrosive priming, it all goes bang and is fairly hot.

Rinse your pistol off with hot water and Dawn and you'll be right as rain. Leave it and you'll risk frosting your bore.

It's ammo and it was free. Add ten to fifteen minutes of additional maintenance and you'll have a smile on your face at the end of the day from having shot free bullets.

brickboy240
08-05-14, 13:06
The Israeli IMI 9mm is also very hot ammo. Loaded hotter to kick the actions on their Uzis when they get caked with sand.

I ran a few boxes of that stuff through my old G17 years ago and it was like shooting +P or 40SW.

With the Egyptian stuff...you could pull the bullets and re-use the brass cases if you reload.

-brickboy240

HackerF15E
08-05-14, 13:08
So basically it's like the Middle Eastern version of that Thule crap that gave my AR so much trouble.

Thule?

Thule?

Or Tula?

wildcard600
08-05-14, 13:16
Just yell "Allah Snackbar !!!" before every mag dump and you'll be fine.

probably best not to shoot this stuff at a public range.

halo2304
08-05-14, 14:57
Just yell "Allah Snackbar !!!" before every mag dump and you'll be fine.

Hahaha! Awesome!

A friend bought some Egyptian 7.62 for his SKS. As was said, it was stinkier than a mummy's fart! It was also the only ammo that he ever had cause issues with his rifle. Failures to ignite, feed, eject along with hang fires. We couldn't get through a magazine without some sort of issue. We wound up tossing almost 20 rounds into the dud bucket and we only brought 60 rounds. Good riddance!

markm
08-05-14, 15:04
I'd pull the bullets and load them in American brass/primers, burn the powder, and recycle the cases with the primers left in.