PDA

View Full Version : PPQ for carry

bjxds
08-04-14, 21:14
I recently purchased a PPQ, and it is one sweet shooter, about 800 rounds and so far it is one of the best guns I have shot. I have carried it in a CBST not made for the PPQ just to get an idea for feel/comfort and concealabilty. It is harder to conceal than a single stack (they just disappear) definitely prints more with T Shirt, but the little bit of printing is a fair trade for all of the other benefits. I am not overly concerned with printing, but would rather not, if possible. I have found that when wearing a jacket I often only have a light shirt under, and this can present an issue when coming indoors. I Also do not want to change guns/holsters based on clothing winter/summer. The reason I did get the PPQ was because I felt it was the best compromise between full size and sub.

I am seriously interested in the VP9, and will probably end up with one after another PPQ, but based on the specs it appears it is slightly larger than the PPQ, and therefore be a little harder to conceal.

In any case for those of you that have one:

Do you carry or if you did, What holster do you prefer IWB/OWB?
If you added sights, which ones?

Also if you have or have shot a VP9 how does it compare to the PPQ?
Have or would you carry the VP9?

Any additional comments also welcome.

08-04-14, 21:37
Thread from earlier this year about carrying the PPQ
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?149863-Conceal-Carry-Walther-PPQ&highlight=ppq+carry

mizer67
08-04-14, 21:45
Subjectively, the trigger in the PPQ has a crisper, slightly lighter break and more distinct reset. I think the break on the trigger in the PPQ is superior to the VP9, but the pre-travel is not as smooth. Overall, on my two examples, I'd call the PPQ's trigger better, but I need a few thousand rounds through my VP9 for it to be a fair comparison since my PPQ's trigger broke in nicely. I liked the slide releases better on my PPQ and the mag release is slightly easier to operate in its forward position vs. the VP9 for me.

However, the PPQ's grip is much more slippery. I resorted to lots of grip tape and eventually would've needed to stipple the grip to get a satisfactory purchase on the gun, while the VP9's grip is satisfactory out of the box. The PPQ is also "flippier" and recoils slightly harder and the sights don't track quite as well as the VP9 for me when shooting fast. The stock PPQ sights are not good in comparison though and warrant an immediate change (in my opinion).

We're really talking about very fine degrees of difference here, aside from the slipperiness of the PPQ's grip. The VP9 runs nearly on par for me against my modded G17 with an aftermarket barrel, but with many fewer rounds through it. I can't say that for the PPQ, right out of the box.

Regarding carry, I find the VP9 to be most comparable to a G17 in grip length, with a shorter barrel. Grip length makes the biggest difference in concealment I think. The rounded outline make both the VP9 and PPQ print a little less than a G17, but neither is as easy to carry as a G19. I would carry the VP9 (no holster yet), but you're essentially carrying a full sized gun and have to modify clothing choices appropriately.

Hmac
08-04-14, 21:55
I think the trigger break is crisper on my VP9 than on either of my PPQs. Reset is fine. It's different, but not worse...just different. Slightly. Overall, I prefer the VP9 to the PPQ by a slight margin.

From a carry standpoint, I prefer OWB. I carry my PPQ in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. When I bought the VP9, I discovered that it fits fine in an old Tagua OWB leather for the HK45. Both work fine. I don't perceive one pistol does better than the other in that carry method. Anyway, I never carry either, I carry a PPS instead.

warpedcamshaft
08-04-14, 23:54
I am seriously interested in the VP9, and will probably end up with one after another PPQ, but based on the specs it appears it is slightly larger than the PPQ, and therefore be a little harder to conceal.

In any case for those of you that have one:

Do you carry or if you did, What holster do you prefer IWB/OWB?
If you added sights, which ones?

Also if you have or have shot a VP9 how does it compare to the PPQ?
Have or would you carry the VP9?

Any additional comments also welcome.

I will try to post some pics soon comparing grip length of the PPQ and the VP9... The VP9 is definitely longer in the grip.

I used Trijicon sights on my PPQ... huge difference compared to the stock sights. It was immediately tangible in my drill scores when I changed sights.

A few thoughts on shooting characteristics:

My PPQ has a longer and heavier take up, a crisper break, and a shorter reset than my VP9.

My VP9 has a little bit of grit before the trigger break, but it is not very noticeable most of the time.

They are both great triggers.

CSAT 5&1 drill results (par time 3 sec):
VP9: 1.48
PPQ: 1.58

The VP9 tracks better for me in recoil... It feels a bit more "sure footed" than the PPQ. I've seen a lot of .14 and .15 splits with the VP9, and the sights return nicely. The PPQ seems to have a little bit more horizontal dispersion in recoil than the VP9 FOR ME... The VP9 tracks nicely in a vertical manner and feels like it recoils less.

However... In a realistic frame of reference, the differences are likely to be negligible in violent encounters... and a skilled shooter will likely be able to shoot both handguns within a very close performance window.

trio
08-05-14, 02:24
I also have both the PPQ and VP9. I've been carrying the PPQ almost 2 years, and have recently now introduced the VP9 into that mix.

My observations are very similar to most folks' here

The triggers on the guns are very similar in terms of quality, and will really be a matter of personal preference for the shooter in my opinion. There is more take up in on the PPQ before felt pressure, whereas the VP9 is almost immediate. I think you are talking 1a and 1b in regards to the best striker fired handgun triggers available. Which is a and which is b is up to the shooter. In truth, I'm still not sure which I prefer.

The slide velocity on the PPQ is significantly higher than the VP9, which increases the felt recoil of the gun to the shooter. For me, at least, this also allows me to shoot the VP9 a little faster, but as has been said, the difference really is negligible, especially in real world application. The easiest way I've found to describe it to people who have shot neither...to me, the PPQ is like shooting a G19, while the VP9 is like shooting a G34...that's a good comparison to describe the difference in the way the felt recoil and the way the slide velocity is working on the gun and me as a shooter....

For sights, I have the trijicon night sights with the orange front on my PPQs And really like them...I got one of the LEO VP9s so currently I have the tru dot night sights on my vp9, and I actually don't mind them at all. I am getting another VP9 soon, and already have ordered another pair of the orange outlined trijicons to go on my next vp9

I do really like the grip on the vp9. I have big, muscular hands, so the small backstrap with the medium side panels so far is working well. On the ppq the small backstrap was too small, so i had to stick with the medium there.

For carry, my uniform of the day is gym shorts and a t shirt, so I generally carry off body in my maxpedition tactical diaper bag, and both guns fit fine in that.

I do have a off the grid concepts Sidewinder for my ppq (think RCS phantom) that I really like. I also have a OTG MkIII for the PPQ with a TLR-1 thAt is a great holster that works with the g-code accessories that I really like. The bonus here is that it fits the VP9 with the tlr-1 attached like a glove as well. I have a RCS phantom for the VP9 on order

walker2713
08-05-14, 15:18
Although I've been a Glock 19 carrier for a long time, increasingly I'm carrying a Walther PPQ, 9 or 40. In the photo, the top is a Raven Phantom, and the bottom pic shows one of the pistols in a JM Custom Kydex IWB.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb419/Vartarg/photo1_zps0e7b5703.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/Vartarg/media/photo1_zps0e7b5703.jpg.html)

Here's my 5" 9mm that I bought largely for competition, but it carrys well also.....in a Comp-Tac IWB

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb419/Vartarg/photo_zpsf2a1a30b.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/Vartarg/media/photo_zpsf2a1a30b.jpg.html)

In some ways I prefer the Compact Glock for carry, but the fact is that I shoot the PPQ so much better....

George

az larry
08-05-14, 15:54
Carried my PPQ in a Blade-Tech Nano. When they make one for the VP9 I'll be carrying that in the Nano. PPQ is a great gun, I like the VP9 a tad better for now. Mainly because of better night sight options for the HK.

Aries144
08-06-14, 04:27
ghjkl

Jwalker
08-06-14, 09:06
I have another perspective. I bought a PPQ about a year ago on a whim based on the grip and trigger feel at a LGS and really enjoyed shooting it for a few months. After I vetted it thoroughly, though, I started noticing a few little issues. While it continued to be accurate and reliable, I could not get it to conceal as well as my G19, no matter how I angled it - that 0.3 inches must have meant something, or maybe I'm oddly-shaped.

Then I found I was able to shoot my G19 with an aftermarket polished trigger (but with all OEM parts) at least as well as the PPQ. I think I was able to pull through better with the Glock while I was staging the trigger with the Walther. My problem, I know, but it was real enough for me.

I liked the PPQ, but those two things left it with no mission for me, except as a range piece, and I don't need any more of them. FWIW.

bjxds
08-06-14, 21:00
As a side note, for some reason I just noticed the front slide to rail fit is a little loose, there is some wiggle to to it. If I shake the gun it rattles. I have seen some other comments on "The Internet" and this seems to be common/normal. Has anyone else here noticed this as well?

MistWolf
08-07-14, 00:54
My PPQ rattles too, but it does not keep me from hitting what I'm aiming at.

I've been carrying my PPQ daily for some time now. The only real problem I have is that it eats T-shirts. Where the slide serrations are interrupted by the extractor have sharp corners and leaves little holes in my T-shirts as I wear them over the pistol. Those sharp little corners are only exposed when the PPQ is loaded. One of these days, I'm going to break those edges with a stone or something

LightningFast
08-07-14, 09:02
CCC Shaggy, Trijicon HD sights.

Sam
08-07-14, 13:35
Here is the PPQ in a Comp Tac MTAC:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG528.jpeg

With a cover t-shirt:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG529.jpeg

bjxds
08-07-14, 19:57
Here is the PPQ in a Comp Tac MTAC:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG528.jpeg

With a cover t-shirt:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG529.jpeg

It looks like the MTAC holds the handle closer to the body than mine. I have a CBST made for another gun I have been trying the PPQ in it just to get a feel for it. The best I can do is 4-5 oclock without it printing pretty good. I prefer not to carry @5, not comfortable to reach or sit with. I am looking for something I can do 3:30-4:30, and it has been harder with the double stack.

Lots of interesting options to consider, I think I have spent as much money on holsters as I have on guns. OF course "IF" I stuck to one gun I would not have this problem, BUT I could have worse problems.