PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff urges residents of Harnett County to arm themselves to battle crime

Amp Mangum
08-04-14, 22:44
He gets it:

http://abc11.com/news/sheriff-urges-residents-of-harnett-co-to-arm-themselves/240713/

"I want my deputies at your house just as fast as they can when you got a problem, but you better be able to take care of business until we get there if you have to protect your family."

Watrdawg
08-05-14, 07:21
I saw this in the news this morning. I'm the same way here in Fayetteville. Don't go anywhere without my weapon. The Walmarts here are very dangerous. Harnett county has a very heavy Hispanic migrant population that has a big gang influence. Same thing with Chatham county which is right next door to Harnett county.

Amp Mangum
08-05-14, 08:15
http://www.wral.com/harnett-co-shootings-chase-result-in-fear-prayers/13866638/

BoringGuy45
08-05-14, 09:25
This is why I love sheriffs and I think every chief LEO in every jurisdiction should be an elected position. Now, I don't know what the feelings about guns are in Harnett County (being NC, I'm assuming pretty amicable), but I like any officer who answers to the people, and does not have to toe the mayor/council's line with the "You're more likely to shoot yourself if you get a gun. If someone breaks in, call the police," drivel. This guy seems to have a good head on his shoulders and I think I'd want him for my sheriff.

Dienekes
08-05-14, 11:42
Went to a get-together for a challenger to the incumbent sheriff last night. The county population is about 4000. The guy in question is very 2a and concerned about the creeping erosion of our rights. He is currently HP so passably professional and hopefully has a good shot at it.

We had an ample supply of Coors and a lot of stuff got thrashed out in 2 hours or so. The founders would have been pleased.

Gotta love a system of government like that.

jpmuscle
08-05-14, 11:46
This is why I love sheriffs and I think every chief LEO in every jurisdiction should be an elected position. Now, I don't know what the feelings about guns are in Harnett County (being NC, I'm assuming pretty amicable), but I like any officer who answers to the people, and does not have to toe the mayor/council's line with the "You're more likely to shoot yourself if you get a gun. If someone breaks in, call the police," drivel. This guy seems to have a good head on his shoulders and I think I'd want him for my sheriff.
The knife does cut the opposite direction as well in my experience though unfortunately. But I get what your saying. A competent population generally makes the correct decision thankfully.

brickboy240
08-05-14, 13:57
Hah...you NC people have not SEEN a "large Hispanic immigrant population"

Come down here...it is very hard to tell where Texas ends and Mexico begins.

LOL

Watrdawg
08-05-14, 14:35
There still is a Texas? I feel for y'all down there. It's like your being invaded by Santa Anna's army all over again.

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-14, 17:01
Good on him, we have had Sheriffs down here thay will deputize anyone in their respective county that holds a CHL (CCW permit).

williejc
08-05-14, 22:02
I'm curious. What happens at the Walmarts?

Amp Mangum
08-06-14, 13:24
The Blaze picked the story up:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/05/north-carolina-sheriffs-response-to-explosion-in-violent-crime-will-likely-infuriate-one-side-of-the-gun-debate/

Watrdawg
08-06-14, 14:04
I'm curious. What happens at the Walmarts?

We have a Walmart in the middle of town that is nicknamed Thug Mart by the Police. Gangs have had new bangers robbing and beating up people in the parking lot. This particular Walmart has over 600 call outs a year there. We have 3-4 others around town where the same thing happens fairly regularly. Although not as much as Thug Mart.

In the last 4-5 days Fayetteville has had 3 multiple death shootings. We are right next to Harnett county. Our Sheriff here is a big time Democrat and will not sign any NFA forms. He wouldnt even think about telling residents here to protect themselves like the Sheriff in Harnett County has.

JoshNC
08-06-14, 21:24
We have a Walmart in the middle of town that is nicknamed Thug Mart by the Police. Gangs have had new bangers robbing and beating up people in the parking lot. This particular Walmart has over 600 call outs a year there. We have 3-4 others around town where the same thing happens fairly regularly. Although not as much as Thug Mart.

In the last 4-5 days Fayetteville has had 3 multiple death shootings. We are right next to Harnett county. Our Sheriff here is a big time Democrat and will not sign any NFA forms. He wouldnt even think about telling residents here to protect themselves like the Sheriff in Harnett County has.

Are these Latino gangs?

The Fayetteville Sheriff is a F'ing Democrat!!!??? How in the world can that happen in a military town with so many staunchly conservative voters? I would have never guessed that.

Sadly, many sheriffs, both republican and democrat, in NC will not sign NFA paperwork due to our AG advising them against signing.

Watrdawg
08-07-14, 07:05
Both Latino and Black. Cumberland County is mainly Democrat. Our Mayors have been mostly Democrat and so has the City Council. Even our State Congressmen are mostly Democrat. Rick Glazier has been around forever it seems. We do have a Republican state Senator though.

Our previous city Chief of Police would sign NFA paperwork. He signed mine for me. However, he is no longer the Chief. Basically got fed up with the politics here and is now teaching at a Federal LE academy in Georgia.

williejc
08-07-14, 09:19
Democrat politicians would offend their constituency if they said too much about crime in the hood--or criminals from the hood exporting their crime. I've said this before. You can be in the company of so-called sensible and highly educated people and see them become visibly distressed if crime and minority contribution are discussed. Crime topics make them uneasy anyway because they fear that sensitive subjects might be raised. And I'm not referring to redneck comments. I'm talking about level headed and calm discourse. No doubt that you already know that local newspapers lie about a community's crime events. They do so by an act of omission. A fellow teacher, who chose to remain in his neighborhood after his other white neighbors moved to the burbs, was shot by a minority person during a home invasion. He recovered and was quick to vent about local crime. His friends, colleagues, and associates, began to view him as negative. Eventually he was excluded.

a1fabweld
08-07-14, 14:18
The Walmarts here are very dangerous.

Walmarts are very dangerous in general. They are cockroach magnets. They installed one of their super stores about 4 blocks from my house. Within 1 month of its opening, the neighborhood went to shit. FK Walmart and all their Chinese crap.

Belmont31R
08-08-14, 00:40
Walmarts are very dangerous in general. They are cockroach magnets. They installed one of their super stores about 4 blocks from my house. Within 1 month of its opening, the neighborhood went to shit. FK Walmart and all their Chinese crap.

Haven't stepped foot in one but a couple of times in the last few years. They just opened up a second one here and no one I've talked to really likes it. The old one has had a murder and a shooting in a very safe town otherwise. They're like magnets for shitbags. There's nothing I need in that store that I can't get elsewhere in a much cleaner and safer store.