PDA

View Full Version : 2 Star General killed in Kabul

tb-av
08-05-14, 10:02
Many others injured and may die.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-05-14, 10:02
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/world/asia/afghanistan-attack.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

Looks like he got a lot of guys before they took him out.

Nato soldier shooting at the Afghan gunner.
http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/08/05/world/middleeast/06AFGHAN/06AFGHAN-master675.jpg

KABUL, Afghanistan — A United States Army major general was killed on Tuesday by an Afghan soldier, shot at close range at a military training academy on the outskirts of Kabul, officials of the American-led coalition said Tuesday. The officer was the highest-ranking member of the American military to die in hostilities in the Afghanistan war.

skydivr
08-05-14, 10:08
Crap, I need a name I know a few of them.

tb-av
08-05-14, 10:11
The carnage started when when a lone gunman opened fire during a meeting at the Marshal Fahim National Defense University in Kabul.

was mis-reported as Camp Qargha

Belmont31R
08-05-14, 10:59
http://www.stripes.com/report-us-major-general-killed-in-afghan-insider-attack-1.296839

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-14, 17:21
So is the administration going to classify it as another case of "work place violence"?

ABNAK
08-05-14, 18:58
I know that they've made some changes in the last few years to lessen the blue-on-green incidents but I wonder if the death of a flag officer will induce even more force protection measures. If so, it's better late than never but I certainly don't put the general's life higher on the "importance" scale than some PFC (unfortunately the military might).

I swear I wouldn't want those bastards anywhere that I couldn't lay eyes on them while armed.....hell, they'd have to be patted down to ENSURE they weren't packing to satisfy me. Of course I'm sure that probably is "offensive" to them or some such bullshit.

SeriousStudent
08-05-14, 20:56
My thoughts and prayers are with the murdered and wounded Soldiers and their families.

ABNAK
08-05-14, 21:23
My thoughts and prayers are with the murdered and wounded Soldiers and their families.

Absolutely. Quite a few others were hit besides the general. Godspeed to them all.

Sensei
08-05-14, 21:50
Gun free zone...... aka victim condensed zone.... color me not shocked.

I wonder how many were shot before our soldiers could make ready their weapons. I'm not sure if this shooting happened at Phoenix, Eggers, or some other new FOB. All of them required weapons be cleared and kept green when I was there in 2009.

This is the EXACT reason why I was one of the few officers who carried an M4 green EVERYWHERE around post. That's because my M9 was concealed under my shirt in condition red.

What a shithole.

rocsteady
08-06-14, 08:46
I give even more respect to you military guys after hearing stuff like this. I think it would make the average Joe want to just pack it up and come home. Ive heard more than a couple first-hand accounts where the only vehicles in the convoy that get hit are the ones with no Afghan Army in them, time after time. So you know they're radioing ahead to their buddies with intel. Then this. All the respect in the world to those that serve.

tb-av
08-06-14, 10:13
@Sensai ---- Marshal Fahim National Defense University -- as of yesterday anyway.. not sure if that tells you anything.

Also I heard at least once yesterday that a German General was also killed.

Palmguy
08-06-14, 11:27
@Sensai ---- Marshal Fahim National Defense University -- as of yesterday anyway.. not sure if that tells you anything.

Also I heard at least once yesterday that a German General was also killed.

The news today was reporting that the German general was injured but not killed.

Sensei
08-06-14, 16:07
This was sent to me by a member (opsoff1) who does not have GD posting privileges. It sounds like we lost a very good leader.

I worked directly for MG Harry Greene. I was his Operations Officer for 2 years and he was truly one of the bright shining stars in the US Army. Both humble and sarcastic as hell, he always gave credit to his soldiers and coworkers. It was never lost on him that the strength of the Army wasn't the equipment, it was the people. He was a smart, articulate and warm guy and no one would ever guess they were sitting next to a general if he was in civilian clothes. Politics, policies & ROE aside, this is tragic - the Army and the Nation lost a bright shining star that would have solved a lot of our woes. RIP.

rero360
08-06-14, 20:53
My thoughts go out to all those effected.

This is exactly why I, and a good portion if not all of my team, carried our pistols on red 24/7 and I know my M4 was red at all times as well. Didn't matter if I was asleep in my hooch (drehtainer) or elsewhere on the FOB, only time my weapons were unloaded was when I was cleaning them. At least one loaded firearm was within reach at all times.

DrMark
08-06-14, 22:48
I had the honor of meeting MG Greene a few years ago. Seemed like a great guy, and was a very well regarded Officer.

My prayers go out to his family.

C-grunt
08-06-14, 23:13
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/world/asia/afghanistan-attack.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSum&module=first-column-regionŽion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

Looks like he got a lot of guys before they took him out.

Nato soldier shooting at the Afghan gunner.
http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/08/05/world/middleeast/06AFGHAN/06AFGHAN-master675.jpg

What is this soldier shooting? A flare?

SOW_0331
08-06-14, 23:39
Looks like he's utilizing his pen flare, because when you preach EOF over effective combat techniques, this is the result. I'm sure that pen flare really convinced the gunman to lay off his shooting of people.

Gun-free may be a rule for the GP of the installation but I know damn well the CG would have a JUMP Platoon and a PSD Team who never observed those rules. One of the most frustrating things is knowing that the PSD concept itself is completely lost on these teams 99% of the time. While they have a pretty clear objective, the billets are often filled with career oriented ass clowns who are looking for exposure to rub elbows. If not, they're HQ troops who were weeded out of their respective units. Essentially, the last people you would want thinking on their feet to save your life.

I firmly believe that, barring a few units, until better oversight is brought in the military has no business putting AD guys on protective details. The mindset is wrong, the schooling nearly non-existent, and the continuous training is not designed for PSD. There had to have been so many failures in basic protocol for this to happen, I'm sure some careers are over by now. I won't get into the "HOW", but this could have easily been prevented.

RIP Sir. What a dedicated and incredibly smart man. We really lost a good one this time. I find it unfortunate that it took the killing of Major General to shine light on this subject and, knowing the mil, will completely overshadow more relevant training and get more troops killed. But until a vetting process exists, you need to watch your ass. Especially if you're not familiar with the faces, let them prove themselves to you. When Gunny Ryan Jeschke and his teammates were killed, it should have been a wake up for everyone, but only resonated with a select group.