PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 Glock 17 ejection / feed question

amac
08-06-14, 12:29
I have a new Gen 4 G17 that had multiple FTE/FTF. The ammo I was running were my reloads tuned for a 2011. They aren't powderpuff loads, but no where near max charge either. I am thinking this is the culprit. I did install a complete Ghost trigger kit. My question is whether or not the factory spring will loosen a bit after 1,000 or so rounds or should I just purchase a 15# spring? I sold the 2011 and have about 4,000 rounds of this ammo. Thoughts...

Alpha Sierra
08-06-14, 12:34
What is the bullet weight and MV of your current reloads? Does the pistol work correctly with factory ammo, if so what are the specs on that?

C4IGrant
08-06-14, 12:44
I have a new Gen 4 G17 that had multiple FTE/FTF. The ammo I was running were my reloads tuned for a 2011. They aren't powderpuff loads, but no where near max charge either. I am thinking this is the culprit. I did install a complete Ghost trigger kit. My question is whether or not the factory spring will loosen a bit after 1,000 or so rounds or should I just purchase a 15# spring? I sold the 2011 and have about 4,000 rounds of this ammo. Thoughts...

The spring is super stiff. Lock it back for about a week and see what that gets you.

C4

CrazyFingers
08-06-14, 12:45
Yes, rather than throw more parts at your pistol, run a few different brands/weights of factory ammunition through it and see how it performs. You need a baseline for comparison, and this is exactly what Glock will ask you to do.

ST911
08-06-14, 13:05
Return your gun to stock configuration. Try a domestically produced, SAAMI spec, light 115gr (like WWB).

amac
08-06-14, 13:18
Yes, rather than throw more parts at your pistol, run a few different brands/weights of factory ammunition through it and see how it performs. You need a baseline for comparison, and this is exactly what Glock will ask you to do.

All great advice. I will shoot it again this weekend and throw everything at it - including factory ammo. I'll be sure to take note of which ammo I'm shooting and record any additional malf's. I've got my load data at the house for comparison. These are 115gr FMJ, loaded with Titegroup. I don't recall the MV, but did chrono my round. I've never kept a shooters log book, but this is another reason I should. Thanks again.

GregP220
08-06-14, 23:33
I've only put 400 rounds through my new gen4 17 but it has been flawless so far.

350 of those are my 124 grain hand loads - the rest 124 +P and 147 hollow points .

Pistol is stock except for sights and a grip plug.

Good luck figuring yours out.

amac
08-11-14, 15:46
Took my G17 to the range this weekend. I shot 249 flawless rounds out of 250. I shot everything I had - no factory ammo. It easily handled 147's, 124's and my 115's. I had my 12 year old son run most of the rounds. Surprisingly, he didn't limp wrist any of his shots. : ) It was a 115 that didn't seat all the way. A quick tap sent the slide shut. Would that be a dry barrel, dry reload or mag not presenting the round properly? I don't have these mags numbered, but will have that done next time out. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go. No need to change anything.

GregP220
08-11-14, 18:43
It was a 115 that didn't seat all the way. A quick tap sent the slide shut. Would that be a dry barrel, dry reload or mag not presenting the round properly? I don't have these mags numbered, but will have that done next time out. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go. No need to change anything.

Do you run all your rounds through a case gauge? It is possible it was out of spec.

I ran into one of these after my last 9mm reloading session. I was using mixed brass and only one out of 300 would not fit into my EGW gauge. I pulled the barrel out of my 17 to see if it was looser than my EGW gauge and it was not.

Just a thought....

amac
08-11-14, 21:33
Do you run all your rounds through a case gauge? It is possible it was out of spec.

Just a thought....

Hell no! LOL. Too many and too much time.

mayonaise
08-11-14, 22:52
Hell no! LOL. Too many and too much time.

Get a Lee Factory crimp die. Solved all my reload chambering issues in every caliber years ago.

kevN
08-12-14, 22:31
It could be the stiffness of the RSA or lack of lube slowing the slide down.. But it's much more likely the ammo.

mizer67
08-13-14, 07:45
115 FMJ loaded with TG is probably marginal for reliability on the stock 17 lb recoil spring unless you're up around 4.6 - 4.8 grains (near max charge).

My guess is your load is on the hairy edge of acceptable with the stock RSA. If you continue to have problems, I'd switch to a 15 lb recoil spring and you should be good to go.

Mjolnir
08-13-14, 07:51
Very simple solution.

Lightweight ammo can be a "no no".

Obtain an APEX TACTICAL EXTRACTOR for $65 and your problems should be solved.

If it does by work for you I'll purchase the APEX parts from you.

mizer67
08-13-14, 11:51
Very simple solution.

Lightweight ammo can be a "no no".

Obtain an APEX TACTICAL EXTRACTOR for $65 and your problems should be solved.

If it does by work for you I'll purchase the APEX parts from you.

I wouldn't opt for the APEX FRE until I'd verified that the gun won't run with factory 115 FMJ first.

If it runs 100% with factory ammo, then that points to the load.

If the gun doesn't run with factory ammo also, it could point to the brass hitting the ejection port or otherwise failing to properly clear the chamber. Since the OP said he had round tuned for a 2011 and doesn't remember the charge weight, but that it wasn't near max on a powder that needs to be up near max charge to push a 115 fast enough to meet factory specs, it's more likely that the stock RSA is the culprit, particularly since the OP said he was getting FTFs. FTFs are likely a symptom of low slide velocity caused either by (or in addition to) a light load and high-ish stock RSA spring weight and the design of the RSA in the Gen 4. If the symptoms were strictly FTEs, erratic ejection, of BTF, then it points to the extractor.

Mjolnir
08-13-14, 12:17
I had FTF, FTE and brass flying at my eyes.

I skipped playing with the recoil spring assembly and installed the APEX FRE in those two offending pistols and they feed and extract as well as anything.

wwdkd
08-13-14, 12:18
I had tons of BTF issues with my gen 4 glock 34, I installed an Apex extractor and it solved all the issues

amac
08-13-14, 12:23
115 FMJ loaded with TG is probably marginal for reliability on the stock 17 lb recoil spring unless you're up around 4.6 - 4.8 grains (near max charge).

My guess is your load is on the hairy edge of acceptable with the stock RSA. If you continue to have problems, I'd switch to a 15 lb recoil spring and you should be good to go.

I used 4.1 gr of TG. This was 100% reliable coming out of my 2011. The ejection out of my G17 is pretty solid - most of the time. For $30, my first thought was to replace the recoil spring with a 15#er. I may buy one and see what happens. 30 bucks won't kill the bank.

amac
08-13-14, 12:27
I wouldn't opt for the APEX FRE until I'd verified that the gun won't run with factory 115 FMJ first.

If it runs 100% with factory ammo, then that points to the load.

If the gun doesn't run with factory ammo also, it could point to the brass hitting the ejection port or otherwise failing to properly clear the chamber. Since the OP said he had round tuned for a 2011 and doesn't remember the charge weight, but that it wasn't near max on a powder that needs to be up near max charge to push a 115 fast enough to meet factory specs, it's more likely that the stock RSA is the culprit, particularly since the OP said he was getting FTFs. FTFs are likely a symptom of low slide velocity caused either by (or in addition to) a light load and high-ish stock RSA spring weight and the design of the RSA in the Gen 4. If the symptoms were strictly FTEs, erratic ejection, of BTF, then it points to the extractor.

Spot on mizer. I'm not having ejection issues. It's feed issues. My first thought is the same as you - light load needs a light recoil spring. I need to pick up some factory ammo.

mizer67
08-13-14, 13:33
Just for refernce, I used to push a 124 gr pill with 4.1 of TG and was hitting ~1100 fps or ~135-136 PF. Ran 100% in stock Glocks.

4.1 with a 115 FMJ, you're below the min charge weight of ~4.5 gr for TG with a 115 FMJ and are probably chronoing around ~1100 fps, which is barely making 125 pf and is borderline of running a stock Glock as you already surmised.

You could try shortening the OAL some and see if you can get the pressures up a little to help, but it's a PITA to do 4K like that. I might have 15lb. spring and guide rod for a Gen 4 available for you to try, if I can find it. If you want it, send me a PM and your address.