PDA

View Full Version : My Colt LE6940 Build

TBomb
08-06-14, 14:54
This is my first real build after my return to the forums here and the AR/M4 world. I had an M&P15T that I sold back in 2008 to help fund the purchase of an engagement ring. While I don't regret the ring (still happily married, thank God) I always regretted selling my AR to buy it, so once things calmed down around here I decided it was time to pick up another one. I did a little research and knew I wanted a no-question-about-it quality gun, and Colts were the only thing readily available at the time. I came across a 6940 and picked it up. I liked the idea of a monolithic upper and the basic configuration worked for my plans. I am not a big guy and don't have long arms, and I didn't plan on putting a bunch of stuff on my gun, so the rail length didn't bother me. I knew this model had a reputation for being very accurate, so that was a plus as well.

My intent with the rifle is to have a carbine that will perform if I ever find myself relying on it for survival, so any changes or tweaks should only serve to enhance and not compromise that capability. The secondary, and more often exercised purpose, is to be used for hog and critter hunting from point blank out to 200 yards, along with general plinking and shooting. Took it to the range and got it zeroed at 100, then on its first trip out hunting I managed to nail a raccoon at ~150 yards, offhand, on the first shot. I'd consider that a success.

Upper:

Colt LE6940 - Cerakote in Magpul FDE
- Barrel cut and pinned to 14.5" with Vortex FH - I didn't want to deal with SBR'ing it, and knew I wouldn't be changing it once I got it set up. Preferred a little more maneuverability and less dwell time over a little more velocity and flexibility.
- Rainier Arms Raptor CH
- Magpul MBUS Pro - preferred a smaller/more minimal rear sight than the MaTech.
- Vortex Viper PST 1-4x in an ADM QR Mount
- Surefire M600U in a Gear Sector Offset Mount with SR07 Switch

Lower:

Colt LE6940 - Cerakote in Magpul FDE
- Geissele SD-E
- H2 Buffer
- Magpul STR - Spare batteries and Fireclean in storage compartments.
- Magpul MIAD - Managed to find one with the integrated trigger guard, which I had on my last gun and loved. Spare bolt and firing pin in grip.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2002294/photo.JPG
(Sorry for the poor quality quick iPhone pic)

223to45
08-06-14, 15:58
Looks good.

What do you have the fire clean in??

TBomb
08-06-14, 16:20
Thanks! It's in a small plastic dropper bottle with a screw-on lid that actually seals really well. I wanted to make sure of that before I put it in the stock, since the bottle of Fireclean I have can't seem to stop leaking, even with the red stopper in place.

payj
09-16-14, 22:04
First time I have seen a 6940 in fde. And it looks good. Seems like a quality build overall. Good job

Sent On The Fly

Airhasz
09-16-14, 22:19
Nice job, looks great in FDE. What do you do with the dead coon?

Iraqgunz
09-18-14, 03:21
Who did the barrel removal? Not quite tracking on the "enhanced maneuverability" but if it works for you.... go for it.

DWood
09-18-14, 17:17
never mind