PDA

View Full Version : Shaneen Allen Defense Fund

bulbvivid
08-06-14, 18:26
I couldn't find anything on here about Shaneen Allen. If you don't know, she is a resident of Pennsylvania with a concealed carry permit. She made the mistake of driving into New Jersey with her weapon. She was pulled over and informed the police officer that she had a permit and a gun. Of course, she was promptly arrested and jailed. She is a mother with two young sons, with no prior criminal history. You can read more at these links, or just Google her name:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/07/22/shaneen-allen-race-and-gun-control/

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140806_Philly_mom_will_stand_trial_for_bringing_gun_to_N_J_.html

I understand that most of us will be shaking our heads because, for one, she thought it was a good idea to go to New Jersey, two, she thought it was a good idea to go to New Jersey with a gun, and three, she did not know the laws, and ignorance of the law is not a defense. However, I think most of us would also agree that it is unreasonable to give this woman the punishment she is facing—a minimum of 3 years on a felony charge.

I personally am going to donate to her defense fund, found here: http://gogetfunding.com/project/shaneen-allen-legal-defense-fund#/comments

From her defense fund page:
Despite the fact that Shaneen Allen possesses a License to Carry Firearms issued by the City of Philadelphia…
Despite the fact that Allen has been trained in firearm safety and passed an NRA handgun safety course…
Despite the fact that Allen voluntarily presented her carry license to the police in conjunction with a routine traffic stop, as per her training…
New Jersey is doing its best to turn Shaneen Allen into a convicted felon facing a State Prison term of a minimum-mandatory 3-5 years with no chance of parole.
What heinous offense did Shaneen Allen — a hard-working single mother of two, with no prior criminal record — do to deserve such a fate? Last October, she travelled with her Pennsylvania licensed handgun loaded with lawfully purchased, low penetration self defense ammunition, into New Jersey.

If you are sympathetic, donate as well, or spread the word if you can.

7.62NATO
08-06-14, 21:17

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-14, 21:39
When pulled over, keep your mouth shut. Exercise the 5th.

In TX you HAVE TO notify the LEO that you are carrying when pulled over. You present your CHL (CCW) with your DL when asked for them. If they ran your plates prior to stopping you then they know you have your permit already.

Safetyhit
08-06-14, 21:47
Between who she has for an attorney and both formal and informal feedback from the DA's office there is already a plan in place for this woman to walk.

*Not at all saying this cause doesn't deserve funding, just stating the truth as known. Should also set another good precedent.

7.62NATO
08-06-14, 21:50

Safetyhit
08-06-14, 21:52
I am almost certain a PA resident with CCW does not have to disclose to NJ LE.

You can't use it here period.

7.62NATO
08-06-14, 21:56

Leaveammoforme
08-06-14, 22:04
In TX you HAVE TO notify the LEO that you are carrying when pulled over. You present your CHL (CCW) with your DL when asked for them. If they ran your plates prior to stopping you then they know you have your permit already.

Kind of.....

The law still stands about 'having to' but the punishment for not complying has been removed. You are correct that LEO's know as soon as they run your plates.

bulbvivid
08-06-14, 22:42
The thing that gets me is that apparently she thought she was doing the right thing. It kind of bothers me that, though Pennsylvania doesn't require training for a permit, she didn't bother to look into the laws of her own and neighboring states concerning handgun carry. Still, as someone who thinks the Constitution and Bill of Rights should mean the same thing in every state, I'm highly bothered by what happened in this case.

Between who she has for an attorney and both formal and informal feedback from the DA's office there is already a plan in place for this woman to walk.

*Not at all saying this cause doesn't deserve funding, just stating the truth as known. Should also set another good precedent.

Could the DA not just let he walk by not bringing her to trial? Is it up to the DA, or is there a law that states she must at least stand trial?

I wish she had listed the funding for her legal and other expenses. According to the WP story, she was in jail for 40 days before she was released on bail, and she apparently lost her job. It would be nice for this thing to get some legs in that vein and for the gun community to rally behind this woman and donate in a way that sends a message. I know that's not likely to happen, but I'm donating with that in mind as much as her legal defense.

SteyrAUG
08-06-14, 22:56
Not to be negative, but even if we ignore the "everyone should KNOW you can't take your gun to Jersey" part, as soon as they made "race" a secondary issue they lost me completely. The idea that she should get any additional consideration because she is "black and has two kids" is exactly the kind of crap we don't need. It's enough to almost put me on the other side of the fence, maybe if we put enough "black moms with kids" in jail over this nonsense they will adjust the laws for EVERYONE.

So sick of racism regardless of who is using it or why.

Iraqgunz
08-07-14, 03:52
I'm sorry, but my sympathy ship has sailed and is lost at sea. If someone isn't smart enough to RESEARCH if their permit is legal in another state or what the particulars are then I don't feel for them. If I don't know I RESEARCH. If that doesn't work I seek out people who I trust to provide good answers.

Don't volunteer information when stopped.

rocsteady
08-07-14, 05:29
I believe a quote from a previous situation is appropriate here. Remember the poor bastard who had the audacity to have more than 7 rounds in his pistol in NY right after the unSAFE act was passed? A pro-2A legislator said that the law "didn't save any lives that day, but it certainly ruined one".

It just seems like a contest to see who can be the worst the fastest. But at least we can all breathe easier in the NorthEast knowing that our outstanding legislators have " taken another gun off the streets".

Irish
08-07-14, 10:30
I'm sure there are plenty of people who think their CC permit is similar to their drivers license, as it should be.

Chameleox
08-07-14, 10:42
I'm sure there are plenty of people who think their CC permit is similar to their drivers license, as it should be.

It should be, but it isn't. One of the many problems is that people wait until they're arrested to make that argument. Another is that, even between states that recognize each other's permits, the laws and rules concerning any duty to notify L/E, and what info L/E has at their disposal are inconsistent. Having absolute consistency can be a double edged sword, though; I have a feeling that it would involve "compromise". I'm with you, though, and I've written my Congress critters about it.

This thread got me thinking about an older one that also invoked the "well there's your problem: you went to New Jersey" response-
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?125831-Sad-story

Irish
08-07-14, 11:08
...even between states that recognize each other's permits, the laws and rules concerning any duty to notify L/E, and what info L/E has at their disposal are inconsistent.

Yep, totally agree. Incidents like this only make it more difficult for people to cooperate with the police, even when they want to, for fear of arrest, prosecution, etc. There's a lot of people who talk themselves into getting arrested due to thinking the police are their friends and being honest will somehow be viewed in their favor.

lunchbox
04-02-15, 18:06
Just read that Gov C. Christie pardoned her.

SteyrAUG
04-02-15, 22:54
Just read that Gov C. Christie pardoned her.

Selective enforcement marches on.

Alex V
04-03-15, 06:16
I believe she plead guilty to a lesser charge and or took Pre Trial intervention. She wasn't going to go to jail as it is.

Does a pardon remove any convictionon she may have had and ensures that she does not come up as a restricted person?

sevenhelmet
04-03-15, 09:00

True, although there is apparently no penalty for staying silent.

However, in both PA and NJ, there is no duty to inform. Why she evidently chose to do it anyway is beyond me. Not being there or seeing video of the stop makes it hard to render a snap judgment though.