PDA

View Full Version : Just upgraded my ammo stash

TerminalLance
08-06-14, 20:11
Swapped out the wolf gold 223 for some PPU match 75gr. Not a bad deal for ~$0.50 per round. Taking some to the range this weekend to verify the zero at 50 yards. Anyone else running this stuff? How do you like it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/5a5u6ety.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/5ypu5yja.jpg

friendlyfireisnt
08-06-14, 21:15
I keep some on hand, it's in my go-to magazines. I don't keep a ton of it on hand, started with 400-500 rounds, down to only a couple hundred now.

Word is the terminal ballistics are good, so I keep my 11.5" BCM pistol and 16" BCM midlength loaded with it.

Accuracy is okay. I keep both of the above zeroed for it @ 50 yards (most of the others are sighted in with m193). It isn't match quality in any carbine I have shot it in, buts it's pretty decent.

cemoulton
08-06-14, 21:50
nice!

I'm slowly replacing my 69gr smk with 77gr cannelured smk loaded with tac or aa 2460. It's our mk262 mod 01 clone we do a mod 0 that is noticeably more accurate but obviously the mod 01 fragments more reliably.

Whiskey&beer
08-07-14, 01:19
What's a mod 02 clone and why does it obviously frag better than a or your mod 01? Just curious!

markm
08-07-14, 08:01
What's a mod 02 clone and why does it obviously frag better than a or your mod 01? Just curious!

Because of the cannalure on the bullet.

75 PRIV won't frag like Mk 262, but it does open up like a hollow point. The accuracy isn't Match, but it's good enough that I keep a few thousand SHTF rounds of hand loaded ammo with a 75 gr PRVI bullet.

vicious_cb
08-07-14, 10:32
Because of the cannalure on the bullet.

75 PRIV won't frag like Mk 262, but it does open up like a hollow point. The accuracy isn't Match, but it's good enough that I keep a few thousand SHTF rounds of hand loaded ammo with a 75 gr PRVI bullet.

It frags pretty well actually and earlier than than the 77gr sierra. Performs very similarly to hornady TAP 75gr.

Privi Partizan 75 gr OTM

Velocity: 2468 fps from a 16" 1:7” twist barrel

penetration in bare ballistic gel: 12.6"

neck length: 0.8”

maximum temporary cavity: 3.2” at a depth of 4.7”

recovered diameter: 0.36”

recovered length: 0.15”

recovered weight: 30.1gr

percentage of fragmentation: 60%

TerminalLance
08-07-14, 11:32
^This. Those are the numbers from Molon @ arfcom. The guy does some pretty good independent ammo testing. Here's his accuracy eval:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/491816_100_Yard_Accuracy_Evaluation_of_Prvi_Partizan_75_grain_Match_Ammunition.html

markm
08-07-14, 12:40
It frags pretty well actually and earlier than than the 77gr sierra. Performs very similarly to hornady TAP 75gr.

It does frag pretty well. Just not the same way a 262 does. Not bad, just different.... That's why I loaded a few thousand for SHTF ammo.

I replaced a bunch of XM193 in my stash so I wouldn't have such a large bullet weight swing in my Stash.

markm
08-07-14, 12:41
^This. Those are the numbers from Molon @ arfcom. The guy does some pretty good independent ammo testing. Here's his accuracy eval:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/491816_100_Yard_Accuracy_Evaluation_of_Prvi_Partizan_75_grain_Match_Ammunition.html

I wonder why he wastes his time on ARF... Maybe there's more exposure over there.

jstone
08-07-14, 14:07
He left arf, because of the people that frequent it busting his balls. He now frequents pistolforums.com and a few others I cant think of. He does not seem to post as frequently but when he does they are always worth reading.

markm
08-07-14, 14:13
I wonder why he quit posting here. Seemed like most guys appreciated his info.... much lower tard factor here for sure.

cwgibson
08-07-14, 16:16
He left arf, because of the people that frequent it busting his balls. He now frequents pistolforums.com and a few others I cant think of. He does not seem to post as frequently but when he does they are always worth reading.

I can see that, he knows wth he is talking about and those guys are morons for the most part. I always enjoy reading his posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whiskey&beer
08-07-14, 16:28
Moon always had good legit info to share!

I forgot that Sierra made 77's with a cannalure - I've never tried them with it. I just never seen a reason to get them with a cannalure. With the way they shoot without, is there any reason to have it? I've been loading for 5 years and it's all just been .223 so my experience is short. Maybe I should pick some up to just for a change in style. I couldn't even think of how many Sierras I've loaded and I've been so stuck on my ways that when I pick up a box of Noslers to try, I just put them back thinking why? Eh...

Sorry if I'm drifting the thread!

jstone
08-07-14, 16:52
Sierra only put a canellure on the 77, because they were going to lose the contract to nosler. The nosler cc has better terminal performance, but it is slightly less accurate. Sierra was going to lose the contract because they refused to put a canellure on the matchking. Finally sierra put what they call a canellure on the matchking, and they won the contract. If you ever buy the canellured 77mk you will see its not really even a canellure.

TerminalLance
08-07-14, 17:18
While the MK262 has more inherent accuracy and slightly better frag than the PPU, I didn't find it to be worth the extra $ for my purposes. I'm not planning on shooting at anything outside of 300 yards, and I'm happy with anything that'll shoot 2 MOA or better. Just wanted to get better terminal performance, particularly with regard to neck length and range of reliable fragmentation than the wolf gold I had before replacement. Any additional accuracy I get with the PPU is just an additional plus for me.

mr h
08-13-14, 15:19
i shoot it out of an LWRC 18" barrel and it's "minute of bad guy" at 400 yards all day long, my target is a 12" x 15" steel plate and every shot is on center target. never had any problems in over 2000 rounds fired. i'd say its 1-2 MOA type ammo.

i will say it does grow that greenish blue crap in the flash hider and inside my suppressor though. i assume that is corrosion from the foreign primers?

Warp
08-18-14, 17:27
Swapped out the wolf gold 223 for some PPU match 75gr. Not a bad deal for ~$0.50 per round. Taking some to the range this weekend to verify the zero at 50 yards. Anyone else running this stuff? How do you like it.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/5a5u6ety.jpg/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/5ypu5yja.jpg[IMG]

I agree. I think it's a great deal for $0.50/round. I wish I could afford more of it right now. Maybe later this year.

The accuracy vs 'bulk' ammo like 193/855 or similar is noticeably better (esp lack of fliers) and it seems as though it should be more effective on soft targets as well. Yet it is half the cost of mk262 or Hornady TAP/etc.

markm
08-18-14, 19:29
The accuracy vs 'bulk' ammo like 193/855 or similar is noticeably better (esp lack of fliers) and it seems as though it should be more effective on soft targets as well. Yet it is half the cost of mk262 or Hornady TAP/etc.

Just shootin it into water.... it's a lot better than gambling on a 55 gr FMJ or an SS109.

Liftrat
08-25-14, 11:20
i will say it does grow that greenish blue crap in the flash hider and inside my suppressor though. i assume that is corrosion from the foreign primers?

I'm not sure just what that stuff is, but its not just foreign primers. A lot of my flash suppressors get it, and my M1 op rods will show behind the gas cylinder if I don't clean them well. No "ferrin" primers used.

Hump66
08-25-14, 11:32
Wouldn't the greenish blue stuff be oxidized copper, like the Statue of Liberty?

TehLlama
08-25-14, 12:26
It does frag pretty well. Just not the same way a 262 does. Not bad, just different.... That's why I loaded a few thousand for SHTF ammo.

I replaced a bunch of XM193 in my stash so I wouldn't have such a large bullet weight swing in my Stash.

Same, basically. At the price I stacked a couple cases deep, people have paid more for underpowered 55gr FMJ, so this is now my de-facto practice round for anything remotely precision based (basically when I don't need the outright precision of the Mk262), and a backup to my stash of TAP T1 (also 75gr) as go-to ammunition.