PDA

View Full Version : Russian Bombers Penetrated US Airspace 16 Times Over Past Ten Days!!!!

Denali
08-07-14, 12:53
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/7/russian-bombers-penetrated-us-airspace-least-16-ti/

Russian strategic nuclear bombers conducted at least 16 incursions into northwestern U.S. air defense identification zones over the past 10 days, an unusually sharp increase in aerial penetrations, according to U.S. defense officials.

Cold War redux...

markm
08-07-14, 12:59
Great time to have a Shit for Brains President, isn't it??

Chameleox
08-07-14, 13:05
The ADIZ isn't the same as national airspace.

Still raises an eyebrow, but it's not as if they're feet dry over Kalifornia. I should add that I agree with mark that the apparent lack of concern from the top is upsetting.

jmp45
08-07-14, 13:12

He's just giving Putin some more flexibility.

Big A
08-07-14, 13:31
More info here:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-07/pentagon-confirms-russia-violated-us-airspace-16-times-last-10-days-not-just-trainin

Safetyhit
08-07-14, 13:38

Wow, really? Do ya motherf***ing think?? I mean could it actually be???

Not directed at you specifically Mark, how I feel in general also being stuck with this nightmare. Yet somehow there will still be many in 2016 who insist on voting not for the candidate who will beat the running democrat but instead it will be their own beloved one or none at all. It's ok if the country crumbles because they stood their idealistic ground and have guns to fight in the coming apocalypse.

Belmont31R
08-07-14, 13:56
Pretty common but they weren't flying in our airspace. Maybe ramped up a bit but certainly nothing new or to threaten Russia over.

SteyrAUG
08-07-14, 14:24
These are Russia's version of "sanctions" and it also coincided with a massive Russian cyber attack where incredible numbers of US email and password combinations were hacked.

Safetyhit
08-07-14, 14:45
Pretty common but they weren't flying in our airspace. Maybe ramped up a bit but certainly nothing new or to threaten Russia over.

I'd have agreed with this 5 years ago but not today. Don't believe they're planning WWIII but there is little doubt it's part of an amplified strategy to probe and intimidate. Add the seemingly imminent invasion of Ukraine after this massive hack to the volatile mix and all it will take is one hasty pull of the trigger somewhere for all hell to break loose. For now Putin is just smacking Obama around but the dude seems off kilter enough to loose control of his own narrative.

Moose-Knuckle
08-07-14, 16:40
But what is POTUS's handicap today? Lets focus on what is important folks . . .

Doc Safari
08-07-14, 17:27
Clearly it's a case of "brandishing."

If Putin wanted to really screw us he'd have a disguised freighter launch the EMP missile, or at the very least try to hit us financially, like call up the Chicoms and tell their head honcho, "Hey, let's get together and crash the dollar. Whattaya say?"

SeriousStudent
08-07-14, 22:29
These are Russia's version of "sanctions" and it also coincided with a massive Russian cyber attack where incredible numbers of US email and password combinations were hacked.

The "cyberattack" story was totally screwed up by the press. If you heard that dem debbil Rooshins grabbed eleventy billion passwords, that's not correct.

SteyrAUG
08-07-14, 23:46
The "cyberattack" story was totally screwed up by the press. If you heard that dem debbil Rooshins grabbed eleventy billion passwords, that's not correct.

Good to know, I didn't want to change all those passwords anyway.

Belmont31R
08-08-14, 00:31
Good to know, I didn't want to change all those passwords anyway.

Many passwords are stored as a hash. Our password goes through an algorithm which creates the hash password. That algorithm is unique to each database so password xyz will be stored as a hash of abc. Inputting xyz will create abc every time. But if you steal the database of hashed passwords you'll get abc for user T but you don't know what their real password was to generate abc. The algorithm is called the salt value. The salt value is unique.

Sites storing passwords connected to users in plain text are dumb and have been asleep at the wheel for a decade at minimum.

If you can I'd recommend using a password storage app. I use Keychain through Apple but there are cross platform services like 1 Password. For me, when using Safari web browser, and I need a password for a site, it will auto generate a password I can use. Keychain then stores the password and is encrypted. To access the password I have a pin code. For that info on my phone someone would have to get through TouchID or my password, and then guess the Keychain pin code.

If a site is breached this serves two purposes. 1. Since Safari auto generated a password for me that password isn't used anywhere else and 2. I can easily create another unique password to replace one that was potentially breached.

No more using passwords that are shared across multiple sites and the passwords I do use now aren't something familiar to me or can be brute forced by a dictionary.

I would also use two step verification when possible. There's usually two ways this is done. A text message with a code you have to put into the browser or a companion app which generates a temporary pin code you input.

And never answer any security questions accurately. Look at some of the common questions they use and create a fake persona only you know. This is a common way accounts get breached. For instance, if I grew up in Utah and my first car was Chevy truck my fake persona is that I grew up in New York, my first car was a Honda Civic, and my dogs name was Timmy.

Arctic1
08-08-14, 03:00
Russian fighters and strategic bombers flying close to a sovereign nation's airspace is pretty much par for the course, and has been an increasing activity for the last decade or so. So has increased exercises.
Our fighters scramble weekly to check out Russian military aircraft.

Russia was down and out for close to 15 years after the Cold War ended, and with renewed ambition in the north/Arctic area, as well as the desire to be a relevant international power, it is important for Russia to demonstrate this power and military might.
Russia is a politically unpredictable nation, and Putin's power is dependant on his ability to balance the interests of various influential groups. These groups try hard to influence both national and international policy.

Russia is clearly uncomfortable with NATO/Western influence expanding further east, as this threatens their position in the area, and also makes their position globally less relevant.

The likelyhood of an all out war between NATO/The West and Russia, is pretty low. However, small (as in short duration and scope), localized conflicts over resources and the like can occur.

Alex V
08-08-14, 08:38
According to my father who was a Captain in the Soviet Air Force in the early 70's, serving in a TU95 crew on a base outside of Uzyn, this is common practice. They would routinely fly to Kamchatka, land, refuel, then fly across the Pacific and down the coat of the US before returning back to Kamchatka and then back to Uzyn. Most of the time they would have American chaperons when they were close to US airspace. He never mentioned going into US airspace tho.

So if they were doing this in 72ish, why not 2014ish lol

Moose-Knuckle
08-08-14, 17:49
So if they were doing this in 72ish, why not 2014ish lol

I don't know, maybe because the Cold War is over?

Big A
08-08-14, 17:54
I don't know, maybe because the Cold War is over?

What makes you think that?

SteyrAUG
08-08-14, 18:33
What makes you think that?

Well it was for a few years anyway.

HackerF15E
08-08-14, 20:19
You guys realize that we do this same junk to them (and others) on a daily basis, and have been for decades, right?

"Freedom of navigation" missions.

Certainly nothing new for either of us, although the Russians toned down the frequency for many years because of the financial hard times on their military.

yellowfin
08-08-14, 21:32
Clearly it's a case of "brandishing."

If Putin wanted to really screw us he'd have a disguised freighter launch the EMP missile, or at the very least try to hit us financially, like call up the Chicoms and tell their head honcho, "Hey, let's get together and crash the dollar. Whattaya say?"He doesn't even have to do that. S*** for Brains in the White House already has been telling the Federal Reserve and the Treasury to crash the dollar and they've been doing that.

yellowfin
08-08-14, 21:33
I don't know, maybe because the Cold War is over?We're in a Civil Cold War right now.

SteveS
08-21-14, 15:06
The president is brilliant. It is the voters who voting for Obama twice are the shit for brains. The Ruskies know exactly how our military is run and being changed and knows the failures. The World laughs at the United States now. We are is big trouble.

Mjolnir
08-28-14, 04:30
The Cold War never ended. What do you think the expansion of NATO was all about? Hell, read Brzezinski for crying out loud...

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."