PDA

View Full Version : Finally tried the swager!

Whiskey&beer
08-08-14, 19:12
So last night I was bored and figured I'd try my Dillon swager that I had sitting around collecting dust. Seriously - it's been on a shelf for over a year! I've always just used the hornady reamer cause well... That's how I was shown and I've never had any issues / complaints to change.

I played with till it had about the same feeling of seating a primer as brass reamed by the hornady. I also paid attention to it leaving any marks on the inside part of the brass. Well after doing 200 cases I kinda dig it - it was quick as hell! I guess what was throwing me off is I didn't feel like I was really doing anything as in removing a crimp. I had it set where it just kinda gave a shine to the beginning of the pocket. Best way I can explain it. I'll keep the brass separate so I can compare it to brass that's been reamed and over time see if it's something I just might change.

Anyone make the change from one way to another after a few years of doing it one way?

rcoodyar15
08-13-14, 07:46
So last night I was bored and figured I'd try my Dillon swager that I had sitting around collecting dust. Seriously - it's been on a shelf for over a year! I've always just used the hornady reamer cause well... That's how I was shown and I've never had any issues / complaints to change.

I played with till it had about the same feeling of seating a primer as brass reamed by the hornady. I also paid attention to it leaving any marks on the inside part of the brass. Well after doing 200 cases I kinda dig it - it was quick as hell! I guess what was throwing me off is I didn't feel like I was really doing anything as in removing a crimp. I had it set where it just kinda gave a shine to the beginning of the pocket. Best way I can explain it. I'll keep the brass separate so I can compare it to brass that's been reamed and over time see if it's something I just might change.

Anyone make the change from one way to another after a few years of doing it one way?

After messing with brass prep with several batches of crimped brass I decided its not worth it and bought a 1000 lapua cases.

I only load for my precision rifle not my shtf stockpile

.223 non match ammo is so cheap its really not worth it to handload.