PDA

View Full Version : James Brady's death ruled a homicide from 1981 shooting

platoonDaddy
08-08-14, 19:25
WHAT!!!!!!!?????

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81037306/

Edit: getting old, just realized Sarah will now get a BIG settlement, husband killed on the J O B.

TAZ
08-08-14, 20:02
And she gets to add another gun death to her PowerPoint. What a c**t.

montanadave
08-08-14, 20:08
On the plus side, it might keep Hinkley locked up for a long, long time. He's been getting weekend passes and his parents have petitioned to have him released under their home custody. This might very well put the kibosh on those plans.

Renegade
08-08-14, 20:23
On the plus side, it might keep Hinkley locked up for a long, long time. He's been getting weekend passes and his parents have petitioned to have him released under their home custody. This might very well put the kibosh on those plans.

He has been partially free for awhile. I think now he only has to be in the hospital 2 weeks a month. The rest of the time he is out, though he spends most of his time at his mothers home.

HackerF15E
08-08-14, 20:24
Ridiculous, politically-motivated decision. Completely asinine that someone could live for 33 years after an event, and that event be ruled to have "caused" someone's death.

What's next -- every death ruled as a homicide because someone punched or spanked them earlier in life?

Failure2Stop
08-08-14, 20:33
Ridiculous, politically-motivated decision. Completely asinine that someone could live for 33 years after an event, and that event be ruled to have "caused" someone's death.

What's next -- every death ruled as a homicide because someone punched or spanked them earlier in life?
Agreed.

tb-av
08-08-14, 20:50
Yep, by that logic every death is caused by childbirth.

Hinkley lives in Williamsburg, VA ... pretty sure I saw his picture in the paper just a month or so ago. Lives with mother in condo complex or gated community... can't remember which.

tb-av
08-08-14, 20:51
double...

montanadave
08-08-14, 20:59
Yep, by that logic every death is caused by childbirth.

Hinkley lives in Williamsburg, VA ... pretty sure I saw his picture in the paper just a month or so ago. Lives with mother in condo complex or gated community... can't remember which.

Here's some information (dated December, 2013) I came across:

A federal judge on Friday gave President Ronald Reagan’s would-be assassin modestly more freedom, allowing the 58-year-old who has lived and received mental health treatment for more than three decades at St. Elizabeths Hospital to spend 17 days a month visiting his mother’s home town of Williamsburg, Va.

John W. Hinckley Jr., who was found not guilty by reason of insanity in Reagan’s shooting, must prove to U.S. District Judge Paul L. Friedman that he can better integrate himself and socialize in Williamsburg before his release will go any further. But in a 106-page opinion expanding Hinckley’s monthly Virginia visits from 10 to 17 days, Friedman said he was persuaded that Hinckley “will not be a danger to himself or to others” if he is given more time away from the hospital. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/federal-judge-grants-more-freedom-to-reagans-would-be-assassin/2013/12/20/efdd2c60-68e9-11e3-8b5b-a77187b716a3_story.html)

Big A
08-08-14, 21:01
Unbelievable. One more martyr for the cause....

Renegade
08-08-14, 21:10

His mom lives in Kingsmill, I have family there so it is a known local story.

Kain
08-08-14, 21:14
WWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFUUUUUUUKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I die tonight, someone please make sure to rule it a homicide from being given an anurisum from this bullshit! And make sure someone pays!!!!! I am counting on you guys!!!!

"Come here mister bottle of Jack!!! Tell me nice things because I want to forget this bullshit!!!"

Honu
08-08-14, 21:27
We have jumped the shark sadly I think the us has had it's day unless half the idiots in this country die or leave this is the new norm

All deaths will now be from global warming ! And you will see this happen I guarantee it

SteyrAUG
08-08-14, 21:50

I suspect they will have their cake and eat it too, death will be ruled a homocide but no changes in Hinkley's status.

NCPatrolAR
08-08-14, 21:56
Uh; it isn't uncommon to have a death ruled a homicide if the death happened due to the injuries sustained during a felonious assault.

No.6
08-08-14, 22:03
Straight from the "B" movies; really slow motion death scene....

glocktogo
08-08-14, 22:57
Uh; it isn't uncommon to have a death ruled a homicide if the death happened due to the injuries sustained during a felonious assault.

Understood, but this one is absolutely, positively, 100% politically motivated. Sorry, but I call BS. :nono:

Kain
08-08-14, 23:04

But 30+ years after the fact? Trust me, if it was a year, two years or one or two more and the guy was a veggie or in a comma then sure, fry the MFer who was the trigger man. But 30 years and functioning, at least somewhat, at the very least I kind of have to call this one as I see it which is to say BS. And worse yet, political bullshit. Does this mean that when my uncle dies I his widow can claim he died from wounds suffered as a marine during Nam and get the benefits from that? I don't want to sound like I am calling you out, I know where you are coming from trust me, but I just can't see how this can be ruled a homicide given what we know here now(I say this because there is a chance, albeit small, that there was a bullet, bone, soul frag, ect (ETA wound never healing at which piont I question how he lived 30+ years)and work its way to the brain or the heart and caused the death at which point I again would say there is reason.) Though, again being 30+ years after the fact I think you might have a better chance at claiming medical malpractice for the doctor not catching the issue beforehand since they had ample time to catch it than the shooter.

EX: Are we going to re-rule Reagan's death a homicide since he was injured too during the shooting?

I don't want to delete everything I just typed(because I feel I am not perfectly clear and other issues, like I am too focused on you and I shouldn't be) but I just think it might be stretching things saying 30 years later a person's death is a homicide because they were injured in a shooting 30 years ago WITHOUT information of that being the cause. And, again, I want to make clear, I am not calling you out, because I know exactly where you are coming from on this, but 30 years is a stretch in my opinion for this baring other information.

That said, if you have precedent of where this has happened before I am all ears, both in this regard and from a professional and academic standpoint and would love to hear it, trust me. Because, while I am aware of deaths related to injuries after weeks, or even months, being ruled homicides, I have never heard of one involving decades.

P.S.
I hope I am making sense.
If you want to take it to PM I'll clear out the box. Because I have had a few(See previous post, and no I can't offer you any since the bottle is now empty), but short of other evidence it just appears to me to be a bit politically motivated. Maybe I am coming from this from the standpoint I don't want to be a political rally point. I don't know.

NCPatrolAR
08-08-14, 23:05
Understood, but this one is absolutely, positively, 100% politically motivated. Sorry, but I call BS. :nono:

Most people go with a political angle instead of a logical one when democrats are involved

jpmuscle
08-08-14, 23:08
x2. I don't see this going anywhere. Same for Hinckley as he's already been adjudicated. They could probably bring new charges but as the original trial was a s**t show in regards to the mental health aspect the outcome is not going to change.

As for the political aspect what are they going to say? A crazy guy with a gun killed someone. Not exactly a new rallying cry IMO.

NCPatrolAR
08-08-14, 23:09
But 30+ years after the fact? Trust me, if it was a year, two years or one or two more and the guy was a veggie or in a comma then sure, fry the MFer who was the trigger man. But 30 years and functioning, at least somewhat, at the very least I kind of have to call this one as I see it which is to say BS. And worse yet, political bullshit. Does this mean that when my uncle dies I his widow can claim he died from wounds suffered as a marine during Nam and get the benefits from that? I don't want to sound like I am calling you out, I know where you are coming from trust me, but I just can't see how this can be ruled a homicide given what we know here now(I say this because there is a chance, albeit small, that there was a bullet, bone, soul frag, ect (ETA wound never healing at which piont I question how he lived 30+ years)and work its way to the brain or the heart and caused the death at which point I again would say there is reason.) Though, again being 30+ years after the fact I think you might have a better chance at claiming medical malpractice for the doctor not catching the issue beforehand since they had ample time to catch it than the shooter.

EX: Are we going to re-rule Reagan's death a homicide since he was injured too during the shooting?

I don't want to delete everything I just typed(because I feel I am not perfectly clear and other issues, like I am too focused on you and I shouldn't be) but I just think it might be stretching things saying 30 years later a person's death is a homicide because they were injured in a shooting 30 years ago WITHOUT information of that being the cause. And, again, I want to make clear, I am not calling you out, because I know exactly where you are coming from on this, but 30 years is a stretch in my opinion for this baring other information.

That said, if you have precedent of where this has happened before I am all ears, both in this regard and from a professional and academic standpoint and would love to hear it, trust me. Because, while I am aware of deaths related to injuries after weeks, or even months, being ruled homicides, I have never heard of one involving decades.

P.S.
I hope I am making sense.
If you want to take it to PM I'll clear out the box. Because I have had a few(See previous post, and no I can't offer you any since the bottle is now empty), but short of other evidence it just appears to me to be a bit politically motivated. Maybe I am coming from this from the standpoint I don't want to be a political rally point. I don't know.

Here's one where the kid died 2 years after being shot

http://voices.suntimes.com/news/breaking-news/15-year-old-boys-death-ruled-homicide-two-years-after-shooting/

Honu
08-08-14, 23:36
Wasn't he in a coma the whole time ? The one you just linked to about the kid two years later

Show me 3 where it was 20 years later after they went back to living then died of old age natural causes and they decided to go back to a accident

Yes shot or car accident never wake from coma it's most likely the cause this was not the case

glocktogo
08-08-14, 23:42
Most people go with a political angle instead of a logical one when democrats are involved

The man lived 33 MORE YEARS to the age of 73! Hell, that's probably longer than I'll last with no one shooting me! If they can release the autopsy and prove that it was a ruptured vessel within the wound channel that was obviously weakened by the bullet, I'll buy it. Absolutely nothing less makes ANY sense whatsoever.

In this specific case, political angle is currently the only logical answer. Occam's razor would suggest politics in this matter as well, absent specific and compelling evidence otherwise.

Irish
08-09-14, 01:43
The same thing happens when law enforcement statistics are compiled. If an officer is injured, and that somehow contributes to his death years later, then he is included in the officers killed in the line of duty.

tb-av
08-09-14, 07:56
The man lived 33 MORE YEARS to the age of 73! Hell, that's probably longer than I'll last with no one shooting me! If they can release the autopsy and prove that it was a ruptured vessel within the wound channel that was obviously weakened by the bullet, I'll buy it. Absolutely nothing less makes ANY sense whatsoever.

In this specific case, political angle is currently the only logical answer. Occam's razor would suggest politics in this matter as well, absent specific and compelling evidence otherwise.

I'm sure she will get a big payout as well. This is the Liberal mind at work. I wonder if they MA conventions, perhaps this one can give a speech to his peers as to how he came to his conclusion.

HackerF15E
08-09-14, 11:11
Here's one where the kid died 2 years after being shot

http://voices.suntimes.com/news/breaking-news/15-year-old-boys-death-ruled-homicide-two-years-after-shooting/

Brady was 73 years old. It would not be unusual for someone of that age to simply die of natural causes. A 15 year old boy, on the other hand, would be a lot less likely to naturally die at that age.

Given the additional significant difference between the event and their death -- 33 years vs 2 -- I just don't see that there is any logical parallel to be drawn between the two.

Irish
08-09-14, 13:13
As an example: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/leoka/2012/officers-feloniously-killed/leoka-felonious-summaries-2012/#Ohio

On January 23, a former police officer with the Akron Police Department died as the result of a gunshot wound received while conducting an armed robbery investigation. At 3:20 a.m. on April 10, 1965, the officer, who was 25 years old and had almost 2 years of law enforcement experience at the time of the incident, was with another officer and a police reserve officer when they stopped a vehicle during their investigation. Shortly thereafter, both officers and the reserve officer were found shot and lying on the pavement. The three victim officers were transported to the hospital, where one officer was pronounced dead and the other officers were treated. Although these two officers survived, their injuries were permanently disabling. The 25-year-old suspect, who had an extensive criminal history including violent crime and weapons violations, was arrested. Since one officer died on the day of the incident, the suspect was charged with First-Degree Murder of a Law Enforcement Officer and was sentenced to life in prison. The former police officer who survived the initial attack continuously struggled with serious health complications of long-term quadriplegia due to the gunshot wound to the neck/throat that he sustained. According to the chief medical examiner, the injuries received during the incident were considered a contributing factor to his death, which occurred nearly 47 years later.

morbidbattlecry
08-09-14, 15:41
I'm just a bit young for this. Who was James Brady?

T2C
08-09-14, 15:48
I'm just a bit young for this. Who was James Brady?

White House Press Secretary under President Ronald Reagan.

tb-av
08-09-14, 17:15
and after Reagan.....

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

The people that want your guns.

Moose-Knuckle
08-09-14, 17:19
It's all that damn Jodie Foster's fault!

lunchbox
08-09-14, 17:24
It's all that damn Jodie Foster's fault!Too bad he didn't know she was a lesbian.

jmoore
08-09-14, 17:46
Without a medical history and autopsy report - this is all pissing in the wind.
And for shits and giggles, Google "immediate" vs "proximate" Cause of Death.
john

Moose-Knuckle
08-09-14, 18:33
Too bad he didn't know she was a lesbian.

I don't think it would have mattered much considering he thought he could win her affection by murdering Preident Reagan. But then again maybe it was the MK-ULTRA.

SteyrAUG
08-09-14, 23:20
I don't think it would have mattered much considering he thought he could win her affection by murdering Preident Reagan. But then again maybe it was the MK-ULTRA.

Actually his original target was Carter, but there was a changing of the guard before he was able to put his plan into action. The "person" was irrelevant, he was simply going to kill "the President" regardless of who that was.

Obviously the person most at fault is J.D. Salinger, he is also responsible to the assassination of Lennon.

SteveS
08-10-14, 15:00
Well then Ronnie Reagans death must have been as homicide as well.

R/Tdrvr
08-10-14, 18:39
and after Reagan.....

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

The people that want your guns.

And thats why I say to hell with him and his wife. It sucks he got shot, yeah too bad. But then he and his wife used that incident and dedicated their lives to taking away the rights of Americans just to satisfy their bias.

Moose-Knuckle
08-11-14, 01:12
Actually his original target was Carter, but there was a changing of the guard before he was able to put his plan into action.

Wow, just imagine for a minute if he had pulled that off. The Iranian hostage crisis would have been interesting to say the least.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-11-14, 03:09
I suppose I don't have an issue with this, even though it feels a tad political. The man was shot, in the head, in an attempted presidential assassination (one that was THIS close to being successful). He suffered needlessly for years, and was used by his demon wife for political gains. I feel bad for him, and I'm glad his suffering is over.

I can, in a distant way, see the Brady's side of things. I cannot support it, I cannot sympathize with it, but I can empathize with the hurt and confusion surrounding the situation.

Gun violence against innocent people is abhorrent and should be stopped. Stripping away my God-given right to defend myself is not going to end the violence, and is only going to contribute to it. The Brady's are, misguided, to put it nicely in lieu of the recent loss of James.