PDA

View Full Version : Concerns Shooting Cheap Ammo

ucrt
08-09-14, 16:12

Through the years, I've worked my way to better AR's but last week at a gun show I bought the components to build a really "cheap" upper to shoot steel case ammo. My only criteria besides cheap was a 5.56 marked chamber, chrome linings and FA BCG and mostly from a dealer friend, I got all the parts for a complete upper for $220.

The lower I intend to mount the cheap upper is first class but since I put the upper together this week, I started wondering if some things slipped my mind that shooting this kaka ammo could harm my lower components?

Such as: steel case residue can damage a quality trigger mechanism or you have to be careful of the corrosives, etc.

Just wondering...?

MorphCross
08-09-14, 16:47
I thought corrosive ammunition was primarily in the 5.45x39 spam cans. The heat treat on the FCG components are better than the soft annealed steel cases on steel cased ammo. Only reason I don't bother with steel is because I reload. If I did more classes where I had high round counts I would do steel and not bother with policing my casings.

Wake27
08-09-14, 18:17
You don't need a cheap AR to run steel. I shoot steel through both of my BCMs and I know many others on here do as well. Corrosives are mainly 5.45, I don't know that I've actually seen corrosive 5.56 for sale...

Pappabear
08-10-14, 15:55
Go ahead and shoot. No issue to lower. Just don't blow it up :nono:

Eurodriver
08-10-14, 16:36
You don't need a cheap AR to run steel. I shoot steel through both of my BCMs and I know many others on here do as well. Corrosives are mainly 5.45, I don't know that I've actually seen corrosive 5.56 for sale...

Been to Kokohead yet? I hated Hawaii terribly. Great scenery, great weather, horrible for any gun related hobby.

It's the only place I ever shot steel because you literally cannot order it online and at the time of the Obama panic and brass 5.56mm was selling for $40/box.

P.S. Don't ever go to Kaneohe Gun Shop.

Koshinn
08-10-14, 16:47
Been to Kokohead yet? I hated Hawaii terribly. Great scenery, great weather, horrible for any gun related hobby.

It's the only place I ever shot steel because you literally cannot order it online and at the time of the Obama panic and brass 5.56mm was selling for $40/box.

I'm not Wake27, but I did go to and up Kokohead last week:

http://i.imgur.com/QqFfppA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8pvaM6X.jpg

Wake27
08-10-14, 17:32

The range? Sadly, no. I still don't even have anything out here but some new mags I bought online the other day. Luckily the ammo isn't as bad as I was expecting now - it's high but OGC seems to have a "sale" every week or two where it drops to about manageable.

bigedp51
08-11-14, 11:42
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Wake27
08-11-14, 17:30
Mrgunsngear has a good video he just out up on the topic as well.

ucrt
08-11-14, 18:48

Thanks for posting that link.
Very informative.

Eurodriver
08-11-14, 19:53
The range? Sadly, no. I still don't even have anything out here but some new mags I bought online the other day. Luckily the ammo isn't as bad as I was expecting now - it's high but OGC seems to have a "sale" every week or two where it drops to about manageable.

OGC was a God-send, literally. When they first opened they were operating out of a seedy building downtown and to get to OGC you had to walk past Asian hookers trying to get you to come in to the MP for $50. Everyplace else on the island sold Glocks for $700. Once OGC showed up you had cheap transfers and reasonable pricing. Still couldn't justify brass ammo though, but was pleasantly surprised when the cheap stuff ran like a raped ape.

Have you been to any other shops like Magnum and Kaneohe? Magnum prides themselves on their ability to call the police on people inadvertantly bringing in high capacity pistol magazines with their out of state guns to the range, and the owner of KGS is just crazy (But should be applauded for his pro 2A efforts)

I'm not Wake27, but I did go to and up Kokohead last week:

Did you like it? Looks like a perfect time of day. Nice weather, probably mid-afternoon. Tourist chicks all along Kalanianole Highway checking out the sights.

P.S. F*** you.

Wake27
08-11-14, 22:27
SO far OGC has been it. I haven't had the time to do anything gun related since I've been here sadly. I've heard those exact things about the other stores though.

I did Kokohead for the second time about 2-3 weeks ago, after a 7.5 mile run through Honolulu and around the base of Diamondhead that morning with some other officers. I was friggin smoked.

Eurodriver
08-12-14, 08:55
after a 7.5 mile run through Honolulu and around the base of Diamondhead that morning with some other officers.

If you go early enough you can avoid the crowds and run through the tunnels and up the stairs at Diamondhead. Amazing view of the city and Waikiki at sunrise.

P.S. **** you too.

orionz06
08-12-14, 08:56
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

It's been discussed a few times but that was more of an observation that lots of ammo was shot.

Pappabear
08-12-14, 12:17
Lucky's video is interesting. Thats impressive to shoot 40,000 rounds for research. My hats off to Luckygunner.

Wake27
08-12-14, 13:13
Here's the link to the video I mentioned. He provides a good summary and analysis of the LG test.

If you go early enough you can avoid the crowds and run through the tunnels and up the stairs at Diamondhead. Amazing view of the city and Waikiki at sunrise.

P.S. **** you too.

Haha its only almost perfect out here. But I'll have to do that one morning since I still haven't actually gone up it.