PDA

View Full Version : Fiskars X7 First Use Impressions

Jellybean
08-09-14, 17:10
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/X7_GlamShot_zps82630db6.jpg

Weight- 1.42 Lb.
Length- 14” (exact)

A bit of backstory…(ok a lot);
I started looking for a small camp axe a few months ago.
After watching tons of outdoor/survival videos of people batoning wood with their knives, I was thinking A) there is no way I’m going that to a perfectly good knife, and B) there’s got to be a better way.
I was looking at folks’ knife loadouts, and seeing the usual small-mid size knife + plus larger “chopper”, as well as the folks with knives + folding saw, and knives + axes.
Complicating the issue is my need to integrate it all with various tactical gear and a pack. Needless to say, after all the other stuff I don’t have space for multiple knives, and for sure not a big@$$ 9” chopper… yes, it could be mounted to a pack, but at the end of the day it still just a big knife, not a real chopping implement.
Then of course by extension this started a massive battle for a general use knife between an ESEE 6/SR RMD/etc. sized blade, versus a BM 175/ESEE 4/B.O.B. sized blade. I have an Esee 6, which I *could* chop larger stuff up with, but that’s just to finely made of a knife for me to want to do it with, and it’s currently not integrating well with the gear anyway….:rolleyes:
So, it’s gotten hot and heavy with that, the crux of which all can be traced back to retaining the ability to chop things larger than small sticks.

So long story shortened significantly, I decided to take a break from trying to solve my problem with more knives, and see what the knife + axe proponents were doing.
I read a ton of reviews, as well as what people were packing, and saw everything from people packing small belt axes to near fullsize axes with their gear. Needing to keep this as light as possible, and having heard lots of good things about Gransfors, I had decided on one of their offerings (either the Outdoor or Wildlife hatchet). But given the things are around $130-150, I was a little hesitant to try something I wasn’t sure would work for my use. Don’t get me wrong- if the research concluded that was the only choice worth taking, I’d have simply saved up and done it. Buy once, cry one, quality over quantity and all that.

However, before dishing out for one of those, I stumbled on a fellow who does a lot of outdoor/survival activities in the sticks of Alaska in shall we say…inclement… weather. The dude is pretty legit, and one day I saw he was using a Gerber camp axe. I said “well, if it works for him, it’ll sure work for me”.
I started reading reviews for it, and was not at all impressed with the consensus. I was aware Gerber is a bit subpar, but I guess I expected a little more from an axe than a cheap folder you can get in walmart. Apparently it can be made to work, but I’m not about giving companies money so I can fix their stuff for them…

I gave up on that but not before I stumbled on a bunch of people recommending the Fiskars X7.
I saw it looked almost the same as the Gerber with the added insult of a non-tacticool orange handle, and at the same time I thought “an axe from a company that makes scissors? B!+@h please”….:haha:
But then I started thinking about it…. And I have a pair of old Fiskars scissors that were gotten many years back, and they’ve cut darn near anything you can ask scissors to cut and haven’t broken or dulled significantly. And of course it’s a Swedish company, so I thought, well, how bad can it be.

I read a pile of reviews, and after seeing that a lot of people compare it favorably on a quality and use basis to the Gransfors axe I had planned on, I decided to go for it- for $25 bucks (amazon), why not?
The axe came yesterday, and today it rained… typical. However, I was way to excited to try it, so I just went out anyway once there was a lull and looked for things to chop.

I started on some el-cheapo pine blocks from shipping pallets. Of course the axe chopped through them like butter- splitting, chopping in half, it didn’t matter. It was like they weren’t even there.
Obviously crap wood. Let me get a real log…

I found a nice log 3.5-4” in diameter- about what I can envision chopping up in the field for a fire with a small camp axe. It was a little superficially wet, but still dry inside, and pretty hard wood.
I proceeded to cut the log in half- it took a little while to get through it, but partially because of the handle (more later) and the fact that not having a lot of experience with this new axe, plus everything being wet I was being careful and not taking full swings at it. So I’m sure it can do better, but overall it chopped really well. The reviews that talked about the chunks of chips this thing will take out of a log were right- it really ate up the first 2/3 of the log, but slowed down a little once it got down to the harder core. Still, simply rotating the log to gain access to another spot got me around this minor hiccup.

I could not find a bigger log on hand to stand upright to test the splitting power, and the other logs of this similar size were to crooked to stand straight, so I simply took the approx. 6.5” piece that I had chopped off and split it into four pieces. Whacked through it like nothing. I will need to find a bigger piece of wood to confirm, but it seems to be quite the little splitter.

As you can also see, I made (aside from the one shown) a number of pathetic attempts at making shaving/fuzz sticks with it. I’m not good at this, but I think I managed to do a passable enough job. Obviously the axe is more capable of doing this task than I am- this thing is pretty sharp out of the box. I barely even tried to stick it in to various logs tip first (classic axe-style, as seen in picture) and it just stuck right in….

On the con side, my biggest dislike so far is the handle. It’s not exactly “non-slip” as advertised….
In fact it has this annoying tendency to draw your hand down toward the bottom where it jams your fingers against the flared portion, and can put a lot of shock into your pinky and edge of hand. It worked slightly better without a glove, but still no bueno. Maybe it just needs some time to wear in. However if you stay away from this area, it seems fine, and I didn’t see any issues that some folks complain about as far as shock transfer. Also orange is still a lame non tacticool color. ;)

The sheath/hanger *thing* is also stupid. It’s not even that great to carry with the handle. Ok for hanging on a wall I suppose…. Must find a better sheath.

I also managed to roll the edge a little bit;

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/X7_EdgeRoll_zpsa10908ba.jpg

I had read that this wasn’t so much an issue with the Fiskars versus the Gerber, however, apparently it can still happen.
I partially expected this to happen in this area- when I pulled it out the gray finish seemed to have a little burr in that area. I also suspect the large dent is the result of a run in with a staple in the crap pine blocks I chopped up originally….:angry:
This seems to be supported by the results of the top edge which is near perfect.

The major rolling/dent happened before I started on the log. While chopping the log, after every few whacks I checked the affected area, and it did not seem to get any worse.
After cutting through the log I targeted the top half of the edge specifically and gave it about another twenty hard whacks into the side of the log. The most I was able to produce was a near invisible roll/burr that you can just feel a little running your finger across the edge.
I’m sure once I get myself squared away with some decent sharpening equipment this will be easily fixed, as it doesn’t seem to be affecting it’s chopping/cutting ability as it is- the fuzz stick pictured was made after all the chopping was over.

Bottom line- go get one now.
For 25 bucks, it’s to light and useful to NOT have one with your pack.
Be warned- after a few chops, you may be seized by invasive chopivitis and suddenly you’ll be wanting to whack everything with it….

I may attempt a paracord wrap for the handle- it could potentially improve the grip and disperse any felt shock, as well as covering up the orange area, and keeping a ready supply of cordage on hand.
I also need to find a MOLLE compatible sheath. It’s too bad KIAH is closed for orders. :(

ra2bach
08-11-14, 14:01
you heretic. :D

Fiskars makes a pretty good hatchet for the money but it simply won't satisfy the axe snobs of the world. it's not perfect but at 1/5 of the cost of a Gransfors, you can really develop a warm spot for it. I think it says a lot that Fiskars is a favorite on the woodcutters and arborist's sites, rather than the expensive Swedish brands.

the X7 is a great pack hatchet. it's light, very sharp, it works well enough and it's durable enough. I like it for what it is and at $25, I can treat it like a rented mule without the slightest anxiety. true the edge may nick or roll if you hit something wrong but that's what sharpening pucks are for...

if I have a problem with the Fiskars line, is the X15 - it's a 2.5lb head on a 23" handle - a little heavy or short, whichever way you look at it. I personally like a longer handle on an head that heavy. their new 28" handled axe uses the same head so it's more to my liking...

and btw, you can get the new version of the X7 with an all black handle and embossed grip area. grippier and much more tacticool...

Jellybean
08-11-14, 17:26
...it's not perfect but at 1/5 of the cost of a Gransfors, .....I can treat it like a rented mule without the slightest anxiety.

And that right there is half the reason I went with it. 1/5 the cost, 2/3 the performance, 1/16th the worry.
Not the worried tone in the original post when you get to the second picture. Oh, wait, I'm not. :p
If I did that to a nice knife or axe, I'd be pissed... But I view an axe as a "smashing and bashing" tool anyway, hence my previous choice to try one instead of relying on a knife for all tasks.

...and btw, you can get the new version of the X7 with an all black handle and embossed grip area. grippier and much more tacticool...

Yeah, well I already invested in a pair of these, so I guess I'll have to make do.
I can try something to rough up the "grippy" area. Or as a fellow on Bladeforums suggested, slipping a bicycle inner tube over it.
Or try a paracord wrap.

Then again.... I could get another with the new handle and STILL have money left over.... :laugh:

ra2bach
08-11-14, 20:47
And that right there is half the reason I went with it. 1/5 the cost, 2/3 the performance, 1/16th the worry.
Not the worried tone in the original post when you get to the second picture. Oh, wait, I'm not. :p
If I did that to a nice knife or axe, I'd be pissed... But I view an axe as a "smashing and bashing" tool anyway, hence my previous choice to try one instead of relying on a knife for all tasks.

Yeah, well I already invested in a pair of these, so I guess I'll have to make do.
I can try something to rough up the "grippy" area. Or as a fellow on Bladeforums suggested, slipping a bicycle inner tube over it.
Or try a paracord wrap.

Then again.... I could get another with the new handle and STILL have money left over.... :laugh:

I actually like the orange handle. first of all, things have a way of getting set down when you're working and having that orange makes it less likely that I'll trip over it or set my hand or something else on it.

and I like the grippiness of the handle. using it with gloves it stays put very well. and without gloves, I don't want anything rougher to chew my hands up. swinging an axe is not like using a paintbrush, your hand naturally grips it tighter when you swing and I've gotten blisters from the relatively smooth version of this. I can't imagine what a rough textured grip would do.

some people mention a bicycle inner tube section over the handle. this would add girth as well as cushioning and cover the orange handle all at the same time. seems like this might be a solution...

edit: I'd say it is 1/5 the cost and 9/10 of the performance of a GB. it really does eat wood, however durability may not be there as the Swedish forged axes have earned their keep in more than one woodcrafter's bag. I love my GB and Hultafors axes but when it comes to chopping dirty wood from off the ground, or letting someone borrow it, I bring out my Fiskars...

also, thinking about you getting about 2/3 of the way through the log and finding trouble to complete the cut, you probably needed to start your cut wider. try to make your final cuts at least as far apart as the diameter of the log you're cutting, and maintain a 45* angle to the bottom of the cut.

I like to start in one direction and then make a couple (or more) cuts moving across the top in the opposite direction. stop when it gets as wide as the log is round. to this will pop chips off to the depth of your initial cut. then go back the other way till you reach your initial cut. this will move big chips out of the way of your axe. as you get down below the middle, make sure you clear out the sides as you go. don't just chop into the bottom of the cut as you'll just ending up beating the log apart...

Jellybean
08-12-14, 21:37
Hmmm... maybe it's just the new-item packing oils?
I didn't bother to wash the handle down or anything- I just had a quick lull in the rain, so I grabbed it and went out as-is to get a feel for out-of-the-box performance. I'll give it a good wash before trying it again. If not, I'm sure I've got an inner tube around somewhere...

Yes, I am not an expert at chopping stuff (yet another good reason to start with a cheap axe), and about 2/3 through I realized what you mentioned- that the cut wasn't wide enough to get good angle-chops.:o
I did widen it a bit, but really just enough to get a better swing at it- the reason being, I really wanted to get a few good hard whacks on the the axe, and this gave me an opportunity to get a lot of hits in- so I probably put enough pounding into the thing to chop two logs or so, but it gave the axe a good first workout, and we'll do better next time... Glass half full and such. :laugh:

ra2bach
08-14-14, 12:53
heh-heh. that's why we like sharrrrrp axes, so we don't have to swing so hard...

I have to tell my sons this too, you'll do more work, faster, with more accurate cuts than just beating the log to death. focus on knocking chips out. the bigger the chips the less you have to chop...