PDA

View Full Version : Questions about internet service in BFE

a1fabweld
08-10-14, 19:35
I have property in a heavily wooded rural area. Through verizon I get a 3G signal, but there are no options for wired internet service. I was referred to a website called www.3gstore.com. Apparently they sell equipment to pick up wifi signals from nearby cell towers to avoid paying big bucks for a data allowance package. Dish Network/Hughes has some expensive 10gb plans but that's about it. Does anyone know how this stuff works or how to tell if it will work? This stuff is all foreign to me. Thanks for any info.

FlyingHunter
08-10-14, 19:58
We're neighbors - I live in BFE as well. We've had pretty good luck using a verizon cellular booster, often called mini tower. Simple to install, works well, except storms take it down temporarily and only about $220 directly from Verizon. They offered a 30 days return if unsatisfied so i took the chance. While not hard wired in an office setting, it works pretty well. Good luck.

a1fabweld
08-10-14, 20:55
Thanks FH. Is there more than one model? Any other equipment that I need to get to go with it?

Edit: so I checked the mini tower on the verizon site and it seems to be a range extender. What I'm looking for is something that will pick up a wifi signal so I don't burn up my data allowance on our phone plan. I heard there's a way to achieve what I'm looking for but I don't know how to go about it.

rackham1
08-10-14, 21:51
Just moved from one BFE to another. Used to have an over-the-air internet service... similar to cell but they are dedicated towers used by Internet service providers. We picked up a tower (line of sight only) across the valley roughly 15 miles away. Speed was OK (~3 Mbps) but service was very reliable even through heavy storms. We had Intermax Networks which was local to North Idaho and cost $59/mo with no data limit. Other names I know of (but have no idea how wide ranging they are) are Ptera and Air Pipe.

However, our new BFE has no over-the-air available. Something for you to research anyway.

Eta: Didn't explain well... my layman's mind classifies 4 types of Internet. Wired (phone or cable company), cell based (Verizon, etc.), satellite (Hughes, etc.), and over-the-air. I've found satellite and cell based to be expensive. Over-the-air was best for me when "wired" wasn't available.

a1fabweld
08-10-14, 22:35
Thanks rackham. We do not have anything available through a line such as DSL. Satellite isn't worth it for the cost vs data allowance. I've heard of other options such as using some kind of box/receiver or something and an antenna specifically to pick up wifi from nearby cell towers. I really don't know shit about this stuff as I'm a low tech blue collar guy. Please dumb down the info for me.

GH41
08-11-14, 06:43
Would someone please explain to me what "over the air" is?? I live in an area where DSL is everywhere but an infrastructure issue prevents me from getting it to my home. I am using a cell based connection but the cost is killing me! I have never heard anything good about satellite.

Devildawg2531
08-11-14, 06:49
I have the satelite based Hughes net system and it's good. Heavy storms temporarily knock out the reception. They have different price points / service levels.

Turnkey11
08-12-14, 00:15
I have the expensive Verizon 10gb/month plan, Im so BFE that Dish doesn't provide service in my area (I have Dish TV, the internet service isn't available...) Its about the only thing I don't like about where I live, cant get Road Runner or a similar cable internet service here.

alienb1212
08-12-14, 08:14
When dealing with internet in remote locations you have only a few options.

The most common alternative is satellite. They offer the advantage of allowing you to be just about anywhere, as long as you have an un-obstructed view of the southern sky, (think like DirecTV etc) and can deal with bandwidth caps, extreme latency, weather outages, and the inability to really play games, use VOIP/Skype and other latency-sensitive services.

http://www.hughesnet.com/
http://www.dish.com/entertainment/internet-phone/satellite-internet/

A newer, interesting alternative if you have decent cell service in your area, but no landlines is the Verizon HomeFusion service. They basically install a large omnidirectional 4g antenna on the side of your house, and it acts as a permanent router setup for your home, much in the same way you would use a 4g hotspot on your phone. Costs are pretty significant, and they have bandwidth caps, (not as bad as satellite, but they still exist) This is a very fast service in most areas, allowing you to game, download things in a reasonable amount of time, and use VOIP/Skype and latency-sensitive applications. Just as good as a landline in most cases, but with additional cost, and bandwidth caps.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/lte-internet-installed/

A lot of ISPs out there are starting to use some of the once super-expensive commercial grade equipment to provide last-mile service to folks like you. Usually these are local startups run by one guy who rents/borrows some tower space from a local TV/radio station. I can't help you with specific links here since I have no idea where you live. Usually, line of sight is a requirement, and there's some distance limitations. Usually these guys offer great service, and affordable rates with no bandwidth caps and good latency. Another member already posted their situation with their local WISP.

You MAY also be able to be you own ISP, if you have a neighbor that can get broadband. Using the same technology that these wireless ISPs use, you can plop up a small tower and put some point to point links, (again, line of sight dependent) for up to 40-60km Here's one of the devices you'd need on one end. You would probably need someone like me to survey, spec, and build this out for you, and it wouldn't be cheap. But, if you're out in the boonies and NEED good internet, this might be your only option. http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=AF-24

Last but not least, check with your local phone company. Copper lines are going away and many local phone companies, (mine is FairPoint) offer bonded services over copper pairs far, far further than DSL can reach traditionally. In my market, FairPoint offers a 3x3mb bonded copper T-1 ish service with a static IP for $150/month. While not price-competitive with the cable company or their regular DSL offerings, they DO offer it in places that I can't get diddly-shit for service otherwise.

alienb1212
08-12-14, 08:17
If you would like to PM me your address I can search around for some options for you. Otherwise, a google search for WISP in your area will probably tell you if you've got someone working in your area that might be able to help you.

Good luck!