PDA

View Full Version : Foam bore cleaners?

GaryO
08-10-14, 19:59
Any of you folks pleased with the results? I am considering trying it out on my M4. What say you? What brand? Thanks...

ptmccain
08-10-14, 20:00
Gunslick Foaming Bore cleaner has always done the trick for me.

Spray it in, let it set for 30 minutes, brush out, followed by patches.

I don't do this very often though, maybe ever 1000 rounds.

Blak1508
08-10-14, 20:08
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?70944-Excessive-black-residue-after-using-CLP-Foam-Bore-cleaner
https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-21372.html
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?46727-Gunslick-Foaming-Bore-Cleaner-not-good-for-ARs-!
https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-44610.html

Search results. there is a bunch more.

Personally I do not use them. But everyone has their own methods as to what works. I have used M-pro foaming CLP and did not really like it much, it was the only M-pro product I was not happy with. I really like JB non embedding bore cleaner and JB bore-brite every 1000 rounds.

plouffedaddy
08-10-14, 20:35
I have shooters choice foaming bore cleaner that has always done a great job. Haven't tried anything else though in terms of foaming bore cleaner.

tcoz
08-10-14, 20:38
I use Breakfree Foam Bore Cleaner about every 500 rounds and Ballistol about every 100 rounds in between. Ripcord through the bore before leaving the range every time while the barrel is still warm.

Airhasz
08-10-14, 20:45
Switched to brake cleaner sprayed through barrel.

veeklog
08-10-14, 23:51
Gun slick is great; use that followed by a bore snake, then a patch soaked in Slip 2000 EWL.

albatrossarmament
08-11-14, 08:15
I've always had good luck with it

BC98
08-11-14, 08:18
Not sure about other cleaners but I know that Gunslick does not recommend use of its foaming bore cleaner in DI weapons. If the gas tubes are not cleaned out, the foam can gum up and form a gel in the tube.

I've found it works out fine, though, if you use compressed air to blow out the tube.

samuse
08-11-14, 08:32
What are ya'll trying to accomplish by cleaning the bore?

Unless I get sand or dirt in it, I never try to clean any bore unless it's lost accuracy (which is extremely rare).

tcoz
08-11-14, 08:44
Removing copper buildup

plouffedaddy
08-12-14, 08:20
Removing copper buildup

This. I only do it when accuracy is starting to slip (so not often at all)

Eurodriver
08-12-14, 08:58
I still don't understand. Have 5000+ rounds easily through one of my SBRs and I've never used anything more than a boresnake through it.

I also shoot regularly to 300 yards, but only use M855. Accuracy is still acceptable.

Are these regimens for Recce's with 77gr ammo? Not being a dick, genuinely curious. I've never once removed copper from a bore of anything other than bolt guns.

Apricotshot
08-12-14, 10:27
I still don't understand. Have 5000+ rounds easily through one of my SBRs and I've never used anything more than a boresnake through it.

I also shoot regularly to 300 yards, but only use M855. Accuracy is still acceptable.

Are these regimens for Recce's with 77gr ammo? Not being a dick, genuinely curious. I've never once removed copper from a bore of anything other than bolt guns.

Snake your barrel first. Get some Hoppes and soak a patch and run it through your bore a few times and let it soak. Come back and run a patch and see if it's blue. I know I've seen some come out of my CL barrels.

tcoz
08-12-14, 12:55

I'm obsessive about cleaning my guns, but it's because I enjoy cleaning them almost as much as shooting them. However, the copper will accumulate, and as stated by Apricotshot, the evidence is the blue color on the patch. Mine never gets to that point.

samuse
08-12-14, 16:04
What Euro is getting at, is that copper in a chrome lined bore doesn't hurt anything.

I put a little over 12K through a Colt SOCOM barrel and it was cleaned twice, copper never removed. I could not detect any accuracy difference at 12K.

dramabeats
08-12-14, 16:14
I'm obsessive about cleaning my guns, but it's because I enjoy cleaning them almost as much as shooting them. However, the copper will accumulate, and as stated by Apricotshot, the evidence is the blue color on the patch. Mine never gets to that point.

why does it matter if there is copper in your chrome lined barrel?

Pat Rogers had a BCM rifle run 40k+ rounds without cleaning and it was still accurate.

tcoz
08-12-14, 20:32
I have a stainless barrel.

There are almost as many gun cleaning philosophies as there are guns and I don't think there is a right one or wrong one. It's whatever you prefer to do.

Ned Christiansen
08-12-14, 20:44
Wipe Out give me the most green on the patches, and you can leave it in however long you like.

I did an experiment with Sweet's 762 on a sectioned barrel, dabbing a little on each day, same spot. Seeing if I could see any kind of damage or explanation for the "don't leave it on longer than 15 minutes" thing. No harm I could see-- just a very clean spot!

TexanInCali
08-13-14, 00:07
I've been using a foam cleaner in my stainless barrel as well, the Break Free version. It makes cleaning a breeze and leaves the bore immaculate. It's ammonia free and supposedly non-toxic.

I've experimented with putting disassembled bolt parts into a glass bowl and covering them with the foam. After fifteen minutes, the parts wipe clean with a paper towel.

u1arunit
08-13-14, 08:30
I've been using a foam cleaner in my stainless barrel as well, the Break Free version. It makes cleaning a breeze and leaves the bore immaculate. It's ammonia free and supposedly non-toxic.

I've experimented with putting disassembled bolt parts into a glass bowl and covering them with the foam. After fifteen minutes, the parts wipe clean with a paper towel.

I'm glad that you posted this info. I have a stainless barrel as well and wanted to try the foaming stuff. Now I can do it without concern that I might harm the barrel. Thanks!

TexanInCali
08-13-14, 18:13
My understanding is that you want to use an ammonia free product with stainless barrels. The Break Free foam and a few other brands are ammonia free.

Also, you don't want to leave the foam in more than 15-30 minutes according to the recommendations I've seen. Supposedly, you can get some etching in your bore if you leave it in overnight or longer. I'm not sure if that's true of ammonia free products, but I err on the side of caution.

If you have a lot of fouling, you'll see a bunch of blue green runoff. You'll want to soak that up with patches, chamber mop, etc.

u1arunit
08-13-14, 18:55
My understanding is that you want to use an ammonia free product with stainless barrels. The Break Free foam and a few other brands are ammonia free.

Also, you don't want to leave the foam in more than 15-30 minutes according to the recommendations I've seen. Supposedly, you can get some etching in your bore if you leave it in overnight or longer. I'm not sure if that's true of ammonia free products, but I err on the side of caution.

If you have a lot of fouling, you'll see a bunch of blue green runoff. You'll want to soak that up with patches, chamber mop, etc.

Awesome thanks for the reply Tex!

kevN
08-13-14, 22:33
I really don't think it's necessary to go beyond a carbon solvent like mpro7. I personally know of many .308 match barrels shooting lights out beyond 8,000 without anyone pulling copper out.