PDA

View Full Version : How to remove gas tube from Noveske Switchblock?

Badger89
08-11-14, 17:35
Hi guys, can someone give a quick rundown on how to remove the gas tube from a Noveske Switchblock? I see a pin in the rotating selector that appears like it might hold everything together, but I'd like someone to confirm before I start punching things. I couldn't come up with anything on Google and I don't want to break anything. Thanks!

308sako
08-11-14, 17:49
It's not as simple as it looks. I almost made the mistake of trying to disassemble mine.

FWIW, call Noveske and speak to someone.

Badger89
08-11-14, 18:09
Thanks for the advice. I don't see a phone number listed on their website anymore, so I sent a message - waiting to hear back. Were you able to disassemble your Switchblock after talking to them?

308sako
08-11-14, 22:27
Fortunately I found it was not necessary. Noveske wanted me to send them the SB and would not sell me a gas tube to replace one I thought damaged beyond use. They were not easy to deal with, and not to quick to respond. However, I do hear there is new management in place, things may have gotten better.

Badger89
08-13-14, 15:57
Still no reply from Noveske... Does anyone know how do do this? Seems kind of silly to have a gas tube permanently attached to the block. They must come apart... how?

556hollowtip
08-14-14, 07:24
You are correct on removing the small roll pin in the selector. Knock that out and it will be slightly larger on one side than the other with grooves cut into it. So technically not a roll pin.
Once removed, the gas tube can slide out. The selector body comes off of the gas block body, and the detent you press in to select the gas setting, has a small spring behind it.
The circular part in the middle of the block, that has the selector on one side, and tube on the other, actually comes out the side of the tube. That unit has 2 or 3 gas rings on either side of the gas ports in that center tube. You will notice also a square groove if you will on the selector side of the block, that lines up with a square groove on the inner tube.
Hope that makes sense.

That small pin can be a bugger to remove. Use a vice, good punch, and something to protect the finish while in the vise.

Badger89
08-16-14, 02:57
You are correct on removing the small roll pin in the selector. Knock that out and it will be slightly larger on one side than the other with grooves cut into it. So technically not a roll pin.
Once removed, the gas tube can slide out. The selector body comes off of the gas block body, and the detent you press in to select the gas setting, has a small spring behind it.
The circular part in the middle of the block, that has the selector on one side, and tube on the other, actually comes out the side of the tube. That unit has 2 or 3 gas rings on either side of the gas ports in that center tube. You will notice also a square groove if you will on the selector side of the block, that lines up with a square groove on the inner tube.
Hope that makes sense.

That small pin can be a bugger to remove. Use a vice, good punch, and something to protect the finish while in the vise.

Thank you! Does the pin need to be driven out a certain direction, i.e. left to right vs. right to left, or doesn't it matter? You mentioned it is slightly larger on one end which makes me think it has to be directional, or am I reading that wrong? Thanks for your help.

556hollowtip
08-16-14, 03:51
To be honest, I don't remember which way I removed it. One "logic" I've always used is whatever side of a roll pin, or the like, has the more flush side, I would drive the pin out that direction. My thinking is when its inserted, machinery or person hits it in flush and call it good, not hit it in till its flush, then use a smaller punch to make the pin flush on the other side. Whether thats right or wrong, I have always done it that way. If that makes sense....

Badger89
08-17-14, 21:38
Well, I managed to bend my steel punch but the pin won't budge. Any ideas?

ucrt
08-17-14, 22:20

It has been a while since I called Noveske but Joel was the guy I talk to and he was always more than helpful.

556hollowtip
08-18-14, 23:40
Well, I managed to bend my steel punch but the pin won't budge. Any ideas?

You could try heating the selector area up with like a butane torch. I also have for small pins a punch that is cut in half at the end, to help with stubborn pins. Less deflection with a shorter one to get the pin moving first.

markm
08-19-14, 14:33
I'd take the opportunity to replace it with one of the nice adjustable blocks out there now. There's no friggin way I tolerate proprietary nonsense on any of my guns.

Iraqgunz
08-20-14, 00:57
Just out of curiosity. Why are you taking this apart? I did mine a couple of years back (simply for educational purposes) but I can't remember how. I know it wasn't terribly difficult.

kaotik78
08-21-14, 18:03
I'd be curious too, just for curiosity's sake. Funny you mention that novekse's removed their phone number from their website. I honestly wonder what was to be gained by doing that?

Badger89
08-26-14, 00:33
Just out of curiosity. Why are you taking this apart? I did mine a couple of years back (simply for educational purposes) but I can't remember how. I know it wasn't terribly difficult.
I have to disassemble it in order to complete a build I'm finishing up. I modified a 13.5" NSR by creating a cutout for the Switchblock but it needs to be assembled in a certain order to fit (I knew this going forward). I have to mount the barrel to the receiver, slide the NSR with the lower half of the Switchblock in the cutout onto the barrel, pin the block, mount the rail and then reassemble the Switchblock by inserting the gas tube from the receiver end.

I have not had the chance to try the propane torch theory, but so far I can't get the darn pin to budge. Noveske finally got back to me with a one line response that read, "We don't recommend taking our Switchblock apart." ... Not very helpful to say the least. I know their customer service was always spoken very highly of, but I can't say I'm impressed.

556hollowtip
08-26-14, 05:06
That is why I also took mine apart.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/556hollowtip/Mobile%20Uploads/20140826_022325.jpg

Doesn't surprise me that much with that response. Does seem the company has changed its business model after the owner passed sadly.

kaotik78
08-26-14, 05:15
If it's any consolation, my dealings with Noveske have been rather lackluster as well. Email or phone call unfortunately. Give them a call and see if they could be a bit more accommodating?

Badger89
09-21-14, 02:05
Success! Mild heat from a propane torch set on low was the ticket. I monitored the block's temperature with an infrared thermometer to make sure it didn't get too hot, and when the block reached 250 degrees I was able to drive the pin out with only a few strikes. Probably could've just thrown the thing in the oven for 20 minutes, I actually expected it to need more heat than that. Disassembly was simple once the pin was out. Reassembling the block inside of the NSR and re-pinning it to the barrel wasn't so easy, but eventually everything went together. A few quick cell phone pics of the finished product below.

556hollowtip
09-21-14, 15:47
Glad to hear, and looks good. The main block pin was super tight on mine, so chucked it into my drill and hit it with some 800 grit sandpaper. Went in a little easier after.