View Full Version : RIP Robin Williams

Sensei
08-11-14, 18:01
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-at-63/

Way too soon...

Big A
08-11-14, 18:04
You beat me to it Sensi.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robin-williams-found-dead-in-possible-suicide-1201280386/

Thanks for the laughs Mr. Williams.

Ryno12
08-11-14, 18:09
That blows... I really liked him.

TriviaMonster
08-11-14, 18:43
Lots if laughs. Truly a funny guy. And he had a few serious roles including, Good Will Hunting and What Dreams May Come.

Talon167
08-11-14, 18:46
That sucks. I really liked him. Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet Society, Good Morning Vietnam. Bummer.

montanadave
08-11-14, 18:51
I had just read a month or so back that he had been at the Renewal Center at Hazelden after having some struggles with his sobriety. Very sorry to hear this news. Addiction and depression often go hand-in-hand and it's a particularly lethal combination.

That said, he brought a lot of smiles to a lot of people in the time he shared with us.

J-Dub
08-11-14, 18:55
weird....kind of an over actor, but seemed like a good guy.

RIDE
08-11-14, 19:00
RIP.
I'll be watching Dead Poet's Society tonight.

.46caliber
08-11-14, 19:03
What a bummer. I liked him a lot. Death to Smoochy and Hook were a couple of my Robin favorites. Thanks for the laughs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Inkslinger
08-11-14, 19:06
Shazbat! What a shame...

Pi3
08-11-14, 19:28
Tragic. I will be re-watching Good morning Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erf2iFHG44M

Airhasz
08-11-14, 19:52
I guess money does not buy happiness, RIP.

Talon167
08-11-14, 20:00
It's very sad how someone so funny could be so depressed. RIP, dude.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Buy3XspIAAEBfkQ.jpg

militarymoron
08-11-14, 20:09
RIP Mr Williams. i met his daughter, zelda, a couple of years ago at a family dinner. my cousin introduced us since he knew she liked guns and shooting, and we had a refreshing conversation about the sport. my condolences to his family.

lunchbox
08-11-14, 20:11
"The moon hangs low, like a testicle in the sky!"- He was funny, he will be missed.

Heavy Metal
08-11-14, 20:12
Reminds me of this:
Rorschach: I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

jpmuscle
08-11-14, 20:36
RIP Mr. Williams..

So sad...

El Cid
08-11-14, 20:56
Hated to read that. He was a huge supporter of our troops through the USO.

Sensei
08-11-14, 20:59
I just saw on Drudge that he will be in three films between now and Christmas.

SeriousStudent
08-11-14, 21:10
My thoughts and prayers are with the Williams family.

Depression can be a very, very powerful force.

tb-av
08-11-14, 21:19
What a shame. I love that skit he does on golf. you can see it on youtube.

It's a bit painful to say but he always struck me as someone who had deep worries. Many of his serious roles didn't always seem like acting. I just can't understand how you can have all that and not be able to simply say please help me instead of killing yourself.

SkiDevil
08-11-14, 22:15
Nano, Nano....

R.I.P. Mr. Williams.

I loved his movies. He was one of my all-time favorite actors.

SteyrAUG
08-11-14, 22:58
John Belushi - Heroin
Chris Farley - Cocaine / Morphine
Robin Williams - Suicide (seemingly motivated by alcoholism / depression)

You'd think that someone like Williams would be able to see the big picture and have it all figured out. Sad.

Scrubber3
08-11-14, 22:59
Farewell to a wonderful man. Here's to someone who could make anyone laugh. Cheers

SteyrAUG
08-11-14, 23:01
Nano, Nano....

R.I.P. Mr. Williams.

I loved his movies. He was one of my all-time favorite actors.

Much as I hated "The World According To Garp" (1982) when it came out, I came to have a better understanding of what it attempted and even warmed up to it. For anyone who hasn't seen it "The Final Cut" (2004) is a seriously impressive sci fi film starring Williams.

Turnkey11
08-12-14, 00:09
Rest in Peace, awesome guy...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-12-14, 01:36
I'm glad you guys were able to keep politics out of this and stay classy.

RIP Robin, thanks for the times that you made a shitty world a little bit brighter.

SteyrAUG
08-12-14, 02:00
I'm glad you guys were able to keep politics out of this and stay classy.

RIP Robin, thanks for the times that you made a shitty world a little bit brighter.

There is a difference between a celebrity who holds certain political views and a celebrity who seeks to criticize everyone else who believes differently than they do and would force their beliefs on everyone else if given the chance.

Robin Williams was an example of the first, Bill Maher is an example of the second.

Robin Williams and I would simply disagree on certain things. Bill Maher I would probably stab in the neck with a pencil.

Moose-Knuckle
08-12-14, 04:20
John Belushi - Heroin
Chris Farley - Cocaine / Morphine
Robin Williams - Suicide (seemingly motivated by alcoholism / depression)

You'd think that someone like Williams would be able to see the big picture and have it all figured out. Sad.

The irony here is that Robins Williams was present when John Belushi over dosed.

Watrdawg
08-12-14, 07:02
Probably my favorite actor/comedian! Major loss!

kwelz
08-12-14, 08:18
Depression is a cruel bitch. It doesn't matter how good or bad life is. Real depression can destroy you even if you are at the pinnacle of life.

From all accounts Mr. Williams was a kind and honest person who really cared for his friends.

Abraham
08-12-14, 14:08
I wonder if his specific depression was due to Bi-Polar disease?

I'll miss him.

Doc Safari
08-12-14, 15:39
Much as I hated "The World According To Garp" (1982) when it came out, I came to have a better understanding of what it attempted and even warmed up to it.

Sadly, that was where I lost interest in his career. I went to the movie expecting a side-splitting comedy and the movie was crushingly depressing. I don't think I ever forgave him for that.

He did a cable TV special, and it was later released as an album:

http://www.amazon.com/Reality-What-Concept-Williams-Robin/dp/B00005TPHP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1407875759&sr=1-1&keywords=reality+what+a+concept

"Reality...What a Concept" is, I think, the funniest comedy material I have ever heard. Too bad it's out of print. If you can hear it, or obtain a copy of it at a reasonable price: do so. Very little of it has dated. Some of the bits were so good that my high school buddies and I virtually had the record memorized.

cwgibson
08-12-14, 17:42
Mr Williams has provided me with a lot of laughs over the years; RIP.

http://youtu.be/QD9QAAEfQEA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SteyrAUG
08-12-14, 17:46
The irony here is that Robins Williams was present when John Belushi over dosed.

I have heard he was one of the last to see Belushi alive, I'd never heard he was present when Belushi overdosed. Do you have a reliable source for that? I know Bill Wallace was the one who found Belushi.

SteyrAUG
08-12-14, 17:49
Sadly, that was where I lost interest in his career. I went to the movie expecting a side-splitting comedy and the movie was crushingly depressing. I don't think I ever forgave him for that.

He did a cable TV special, and it was later released as an album:

http://www.amazon.com/Reality-What-Concept-Williams-Robin/dp/B00005TPHP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1407875759&sr=1-1&keywords=reality+what+a+concept

"Reality...What a Concept" is, I think, the funniest comedy material I have ever heard. Too bad it's out of print. If you can hear it, or obtain a copy of it at a reasonable price: do so. Very little of it has dated. Some of the bits were so good that my high school buddies and I virtually had the record memorized.

Take a look at "The Final Cut", it might allow you to forgive him.

tb-av
08-12-14, 18:17
From all accounts Mr. Williams was a kind and honest person who really cared for his friends.

.and he said he wished P S Hoffman had called him for help.

@ Steyr ... should that day ever come to be... I'll buy you a new pencil.

Moose-Knuckle
08-12-14, 19:03
I have heard he was one of the last to see Belushi alive, I'd never heard he was present when Belushi overdosed. Do you have a reliable source for that? I know Bill Wallace was the one who found Belushi.

I'll have to search the old Google-fu when I get a moment, I have always heard this might just be urban legend.

Endur
08-13-14, 00:03
R.I.P.

Take a look at "The Final Cut", it might allow you to forgive him.

That was a good movie.

Others I liked of his:

Good Morning, Vietnam
World's Greatest Dad
Man Of The Year
The Big White
Dead Poets Society
One Hour Photo
Patch Adams
Jack (I loved this movie as a kid)
Good Will Hunting
Jumanji

I really want to see the Angriest Man in Brooklyn.

eodinert
08-16-14, 04:19
I just read that he was recently diagnosed with Parkinsons.

.46caliber
08-16-14, 07:17
I just read that he was recently diagnosed with Parkinsons.

It is so hard to watch that disease take a life. A family friend of ours was taken by it. She was a vibrant woman who played in softball leagues and traveled around the midwest helping small churches build their first buildings into her late 60s until the symptoms took hold.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ForTehNguyen
08-16-14, 07:29
his ex wifes bleeding him through alimony was a factor. With Parkinsons disease his career maybe over, but the ex wifes still leeching him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diyuAXzN7yo

montanadave
08-16-14, 08:19
^ Interesting analysis but holy shit! This guy is bright, articulate, and conducting a psychological autopsy on Robin Williams so completely skewed by his own issues that any objective analysis is totally lacking. Entertaining, to be sure, but it probably offers more insight into the speaker than it does regarding Robin Williams.