PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 Issue - Looking for advice

opsoff1
08-13-14, 10:49
Buddies Glock 22 - the pin for the locking block keeps walking on him. I have him ordering new pin(s) but I am curious if any others have experienced this and what was the cause/solution?

TYIA

T2C
08-13-14, 12:27
The only time I saw this on a Glock 22 at work, was when the locking block pin was broken. In some instances I did not see the break until I pushed out the pin.

opsoff1
08-13-14, 13:04
I got your reply via email notification but it looks like you edited it before I looked on the forum.
That being said - there are no grooves / slots on the pin. It appears that the pin has a reduced diameter center section - each end is slightly larger than the middle - my guess is that this is meant as somewhat of an interference fit. Based on the tail end of the spring - it would seem like a small slot would be ideal to capture the pin.
Bottom line - I'm not a Glock guy - so my experience with them is limited.

railpig314
08-14-14, 02:20
I would have your friend send the weapon back to Glock. Excellent customer service. They will fix the problem for free. Good luck!

Quick Stick
08-14-14, 05:57
What generation is the 22?

kantstudien
08-14-14, 08:47
How many times has your friend detail-stripped his Glock? If it's a new gun, then send it back to Glock, it will only get worse.

The holes in the frame can become "wallored" out, which was the technical term used in the Glock armorer class. The guns used in the armorer class have been disassembled so many times that the pins almost fall out of the gun with minimal pressure.

This is why I laugh when I see people always changing out their trigger groups, connectors, slide stops, etc. to the latest and greatest mod. Just decide on a trigger group and slide stop combo and leave it be and stop driving the pins in and out ad infinitum.

opsoff1
08-14-14, 09:56
What generation is the 22?

Couldn't even begin to tell you - it is at least 7 yrs old if that helps.

opsoff1
08-14-14, 09:59
How many times has your friend detail-stripped his Glock? If it's a new gun, then send it back to Glock, it will only get worse.

The holes in the frame can become "wallored" out, which was the technical term used in the Glock armorer class. The guns used in the armorer class have been disassembled so many times that the pins almost fall out of the gun with minimal pressure.

This is why I laugh when I see people always changing out their trigger groups, connectors, slide stops, etc. to the latest and greatest mod. Just decide on a trigger group and slide stop combo and leave it be and stop driving the pins in and out ad infinitum.

This is kind of where I was going - I think that it is at a point of just being worn out and probably in need of a major rebuild. He is a retired SMU guy and as such has shot the living snot out of this thing.
Can the locking block be removed / replaced at operator level or is that something that has to go back to the factory?

kantstudien
08-14-14, 10:53
Can the locking block be removed / replaced at operator level or is that something that has to go back to the factory?

Unfortunately I think the pins index onto the frame itself, not the locking block. So unless Glock makes slightly oversized pins, then he would need a new frame (assuming that is the problem). But maybe the locking block is the issue and it will be an easy fix?

If he qualifies, maybe he should just get a blue label Gen 4 G22 as a replacement. Or maybe Glock would upgrade him for a fee if he sends the pistol in.

opsoff1
08-14-14, 11:08
He has new pins on the way - if they work - cool. If not, my advice is to send it in or get a new one. I'm not going to waste time on it.
BTW - what Gen do you think this is? (7+ yrs old)

Gombey
08-14-14, 11:15
If it is the part I'm thinking of I had the same problem. It's my department issued G22.

I was told to put some clear nail polish over the hole and drive on. I did and it hasn't walked out yet. Mine is a gen 3 rtf w/the fish gills.

Hope this helped.

opsoff1
08-14-14, 13:52
Appreciate the tip!

Tango Charlie145
08-14-14, 15:46
I spoke to our GLOCK rep just the other day about this and he said to check the RSA. He said it is like a shock absorber and if the RSA is not up to spec, the jarring, especially in the .40 cal, can make the pins walk out. Since it is 7 years old, he may want to replace the RSA as well. Just a thought.
TC145

kevN
08-14-14, 18:55
Also, check to make sure that he's using a straight & not a tapered punch when he disassembles the pistol. I've seen pistols where a tapered punch was used and it wallows out the holes so the pins don't stay put. The RSA on glocks is also a very common issue as they are rarely replaced at the appropriate interval.

opsoff1
08-15-14, 08:11
All good info - much appreciated. If I had to guess, it would not be out of the question that this pistol has had 20K + rounds through it. He shoots the living sh*t out of his guns. I have his M4 in the shop on a recurring basis - I feel like a NASCAR pit crew...

T2C
08-15-14, 11:02
It's good to hear that someone is shooting their pistol instead of admiring it.

I serviced 70+ Glock 22 pistols in my work unit and had to conduct annual firing pin checks on them. I went through the entire pistol while I had it on my work bench. Some personnel should have a notation in their inspection report that reads "weapon clean, leaks oil", so it was worth the extra time to give the pistol a full blown inspection while cleaning it up.

In my opinion 20,000 rounds is about 40% of the service life of a G22. We had G22 pistols with a lot more than 20,000 rounds through them and good pins did not walk out unless someone used an oversize punch to push them out of the pistol.

I have seen a few broken locking block pins that appeared to be walking out until I pushed them out of the pistol and learned they were broken.

If you can't get the issue resolved, Glock has great customer service.

JHC
08-15-14, 11:09
He has new pins on the way - if they work - cool. If not, my advice is to send it in or get a new one. I'm not going to waste time on it.
BTW - what Gen do you think this is? (7+ yrs old)

Gen 3 I reckon

elephantrider
08-23-14, 21:03

Do you think this is the result of owners damaging the pin holes from being careless/using oversize punches, or is the from the simple act of removing/replacing the pins too many times? Is there some minor damage to the holes inherent to removing the pins no matter how careful one is, or what tool one uses?

kantstudien
08-24-14, 01:02
Do you think this is the result of owners damaging the pin holes from being careless/using oversize punches, or is the from the simple act of removing/replacing the pins too many times? Is there some minor damage to the holes inherent to removing the pins no matter how careful one is, or what tool one uses?

All of the Glocks used in the factory armorer classes are only worked on with the factory armorer tool, which is not oversized.

Granted, they have been assembled/disassembled/reassembled thousands of times, but the pins are so loose you could sneeze and they would walk out of the gun.

So I try to not disassemble my Glocks more than necessary. No need for a detail strip of the frame after every range session.

St.Michael
08-27-14, 08:07
Never seen this. Good info. I will have to take note. I am guessing you guys were using the Glock Tool?

opsoff1
08-27-14, 10:03
UPDATE:
Gauged the holes - all ok. Pins were worn - replaced both ($12) and reinstalled - problems solved - thanks everyone!