PDA

View Full Version : DD S2W 18" Barrel Review?

sevenhelmet
08-13-14, 11:19
I'm looking at a Daniel Defense 18" S2W barrel (mid-gas) to use in a build I'm putting together for 300-500 yard plinking and varmint hunting. However, in extensive searching, I can't find any reviews on this barrel. It's a DD, so I assume it's good, but before I plunk down cash, I'd love to have a first hand account. My alternate pick is the BCM 18" SS410, which has great reviews, but it's a 1:8 with a rifle length gas system, and I'd prefer a 1:7 middy on this gun.

Does anyone have experience with the DD 18" S2W CHF barrel?

C-grunt
08-13-14, 12:44
Look under Trident82 posts. I think he did a test of that barrel.

sevenhelmet
08-13-14, 13:43
Thanks for the tip, his review was on a 14.5" DD barrel. Information on the 18" S2W is precious little, if any, which concerns me somewhat. I may wind up going with the BCM SS410 for that reason alone. How much of the gas block would show if I put a rifle length gas system under a 13" hand guard?

cemoulton
08-13-14, 14:10
I put one on my wife's S.P.R.ish build. It's pretty heavy but very consistant. I'll try to give you a mini review latter when I get home.

Any specific questions?

sevenhelmet
08-13-14, 14:25
Mainly accuracy and consistency when it heats up, overall weight, balance, and long term wear (if you have the round count)

I appreciate any info you have!

Marler5811
08-13-14, 14:41
My opinion may seem biased, but I shoot our 18" S2W barrel in one of my rifles. S2W stands for Strength 2 Weight. It's a very heavy profile with a slight taper from the chamber to the shoulder behind the gas block. the barrel profile maintains a .750" diameter from where the gas block attaches to wear the threads begin for your muzzle devise. The exterior of the barrel as well as the chamber and bore are Salt Bath Nitride coated. The SBN coating has proven in our testing to yield better accuracy than that of a chrome lined barrel.

Off the bench at 100 with a 6x optic and match grade ammo, I have consistently achieved 1 MOA groups and sometimes a bit smaller. I really don't get the opportunity to shoot the rifle as much as I would prefer, however, accurate hits on steel out to 500 have never been a problem.

S/F
Joe

sevenhelmet
08-13-14, 15:23
Very nice. Thanks for the information. It sounds like this barrel might be a good option for me. A couple of additional questions:

1.) Does it seem better balanced than comparable barrels due to the taper?

2.) How much effect is there on group size as the barrel heats up? If we are talking a 1-2 MOA shooter, I'm sold. I already have a 2-3 MOA shooter in my 16", so something slightly more accurate would be welcome for longer range.

@cemoulton: If you have time for that review, it would be great! Also good for posterity, since there seems to be almost nothing out there for the S2W barrel.

cemoulton
08-14-14, 00:47
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f16/cemoulton/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140813_215533_zps05295b7d.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/cemoulton/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140813_215533_zps05295b7d.jpg.html)

I won't be able to do a full review tonight, I'm having internet issues so I'm posting from my phone.

The picture above is four, five round groups and one, ten round group at 100 yards, benched, off a Harris bipod by my wife. the first day she had ever fired a scoped rifle. Winds were 10-15 mph. The rifle is built on a VLTOR mur upper with 15" lancer carbon fiber tube and a leupold fixed 6x42 in a bobro extended mount, dd milspec trigger, dd bolt, magpul fixed rifle stock.

On the same day I was able to hold five sub 1" groups but i bagged the rifle. With less wind and a higher power optic I would expect half inch but that may be a little optimistic.

I'll try to take pics of the balance point tomorrow night if my internet is up. But with the nearly weightless feeling lancer tube it feels like a 16" hbar.

I cannot speak for longevity seeing as we only have 200 rounds through it.

We saw no change in poi with heat but our firing schedule was pretty slow, around one round every 5 to 10 seconds using 20 round mags with a few minutes between mags.

I'll try to get it to the range Monday and do a more thorough shake down.

Marler5811
08-14-14, 07:26
Thank you for sharing. What type of ammunition was used on the target shown above?

mkmckinley
08-14-14, 09:01
S2W is a great choice. I've had one for a couple years. It's an absolute tack driver. Although I don't shoot it for groups I was consitently getting less than 1" at 100m when I zeroed it using a quick-and-dirty handload (AA2230/69gr BTHP/new LC brass). I really like the balance that the tapered barrel has. It's subtle but noticeable. I don't see any POI shift due to heat but I don't shoot it crazy hot. I would expect the S2W profile to resist heat warping more than thin profiles just due to being a bigger heat sink. Besides the profile I believe DD has engineered some extra details into the design but I'll let them speak to that. I think the S2W profile is a grand slam and I'm suprised its not more popular. I think it would really kick ass in a 300BLK. I've been meaning to do a detailed writeup but haven't gotten around to it. This thread just reminded me that I need you build something with the 16" S2W I have sitting in the garage!

cemoulton
08-14-14, 10:27
Thank you for sharing. What type of ammunition was used on the target shown above?

77gr cannelured smk, 23.2 grs of tac, once fired R-P brass.

I would like to restate that that target was shot on my wifes first day ever shooting a scoped rifle. She has lots of time behind handguns and is scary good with her p220, but next to no experience with rifles.

cemoulton
08-14-14, 10:38
I need you build something with the 16" S2W I have sitting in the garage!

If the 16 inch version was still available I would have used it on my latest build instead of the Rianer select that I choose. Not bashing Rianer , I'm just an admitted DD fan boy lol.

sevenhelmet
08-14-14, 10:59
Great info, keep the responses coming!

That said, I'm sold on the S2W for this build.

cemoulton
08-14-14, 12:16
What I really want is a 14.5 carbine gassed S2W.

pretty please.

cutamerc
08-14-14, 22:06
I won't be able to do a full review tonight, I'm having internet issues so I'm posting from my phone.

The picture above is four, five round groups and one, ten round group at 100 yards, benched, off a Harris bipod by my wife. the first day she had ever fired a scoped rifle. Winds were 10-15 mph. The rifle is built on a VLTOR mur upper with 15" lancer carbon fiber tube and a leupold fixed 6x42 in a bobro extended mount, dd milspec trigger, dd bolt, magpul fixed rifle stock.

On the same day I was able to hold five sub 1" groups but i bagged the rifle. With less wind and a higher power optic I would expect half inch but that may be a little optimistic.

I'll try to take pics of the balance point tomorrow night if my internet is up. But with the nearly weightless feeling lancer tube it feels like a 16" hbar.

I cannot speak for longevity seeing as we only have 200 rounds through it.

We saw no change in poi with heat but our firing schedule was pretty slow, around one round every 5 to 10 seconds using 20 round mags with a few minutes between mags.

I'll try to get it to the range Monday and do a more thorough shake down.

Those are great real-world groups. Thanks for taking the time to post.

ColtSeavers
08-14-14, 22:48
FWIW I just got done building a 6.8SPC rifle with an 18"DD S2W barrel in a BCM M4 upper (VERY snug fit btw). Plan on breaking it in at the end of the month (prearranged approval from the missus and everything). Could share results as well if interested, though again, it's a 6.8SPC not 5.56.

sevenhelmet
08-15-14, 07:48
I'm interested. This thread could become a repository for information on this barrel in its various configurations/calibers.

Also, a question: Since this is a Salt Bath Nitride finished barrel, and not a chrome lined, is there a proper break-in procedure for it? I imagine DD will include instructions, but I thought it useful to know in advance.

Thanks.

ColtSeavers
08-15-14, 08:58
Also, a question: Since this is a Salt Bath Nitride finished barrel, and not a chrome lined, is there a proper break-in procedure for it? I imagine DD will include instructions, but I thought it useful to know in advance.

Thanks.

Here you go.

Does Daniel Defense require a Break-in Procedure for your barrel?
Because we Cold Hammer Forge our barrels, they do not require a Break-in procedure as a cut rifled barrel would.

https://danieldefense.com/faq

sevenhelmet
08-15-14, 09:00
Ah. That makes sense, thanks. My Google-fu is evidently not up to par this morning.

Marler5811
08-15-14, 10:24

Here is one documented 100 yard group out of my 18" S2W barrel. I was shooting 69 grain SMK. I was shooting from a bench with hanguards resting on a backpack. Optic used was a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x with CMR-W 5.56 Reticle. This was the 3rd 5 shot group that I acheived while confirming zero.

sevenhelmet
08-15-14, 16:41
I ordered mine today! :cool:

Barbarosa
08-15-14, 21:01
Is that the barrel used on the DD MK12?

RWH24
08-15-14, 23:24
https://danieldefense.com/firearms/rifle-length/daniel-defense-mk12.html

sevenhelmet
08-16-14, 13:28
Different profile and gas system on the DD Mk12. Same CHF and SBN process. The 18" S2W barrel offered by DD has a mid-length gas system and a tapered profile.

I have long since gotten used to the fact that I'm not building a Mk-12 rifle, just a rifle inspired by the Mk-12 concept.

ripcord
08-16-14, 22:07
Hey new guy here, you all have a great forum . I just received my Daniel Defense upper pretty sure it is same one M4 URG V9 S2W 18".
Plan on going to range Monday with it.
I currently have a Colt M4A1 Carbine LE6920 SOCOM bought new back in October really like it.
I see most replies use a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x scope with this upper I will check it out.

sevenhelmet
08-17-14, 09:41
Yep, that's the barrel. Welcome aboard! Looking forward to that range report.

sevenhelmet
08-24-14, 08:26
Well, long story short, I ordered the barrel, and it's clearly a well-made piece of gear! However, I did run into a small problem; since the low-pro gas block is already installed, I have to remove it to get the barrel nut on! I can't believe I didn't think of this when I was getting ready to buy the barrel...

EDIT: D'oh! My inexperience with barrels is showing. It was easy to remove and re-install the gas block.

southernZ
08-26-14, 22:18
I was ready to order a DDM4V9 S2W, but now this new M4V11 S2W has me scratching my head.... Rifle or Mid Length? I'm torn!!!!

0reo
08-27-14, 17:53
I have a 16" S2W barrel in 5.56. I'm very pleased with it's performance. It is not a light weight barrel though. It's a lot closer to a .750" barrel then a pencil barrel.

cd228
08-28-14, 04:24
Are the 16" S2W 5.56mm still available? I don't see them on the DD site.

ColtSeavers
08-29-14, 15:02
DD 18" 6.8SPC S2W barrel shooting Federal Fusion 115gr 6.8SPC @100yds.
10 shot group.

Link to build/setup used: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?156032-Finally-finished-my-6-8

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20140825_131508_zps3wm5irvy.jpg