PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Galco Royal Guard IWB ...?

amac
08-13-14, 14:40
I've been looking for my first IWB for my G19. I've looked at lots of multi material holsters for a lot less, but for some reason I want to try all leather. Anyway, I'm looking for anyone who has or has had the Galco Royal Guard (http://www.galcogunleather.com/royal-guard-inside-the-pant-holster-gen-2-_8_447_1254.html) to share their opinion. It looks pretty similar to a Milt Sparks SS. Also, if you have a good reason why I should go with kydex instead of leather, let me know. Thanks

Clay
08-13-14, 20:08
I prefer the Milt Sparks SSII for this type of holster, mainly because I prefer a true 1.5" loop vs. a 1.75" "fits all" type of setup that the mass produced market normally goes with. Check Brownells for a SSII in stock. They pop up quite often on the various forums for sale as well. For a Kydex version of the same style of rig, try a Blade-Tech Nano. Another excellent option is the Greg Kramer IWB #2 or #3 in horsehide. I have a #2 for a Beretta 92FS that is excellent.

I sometimes prefer a holster that puts the belt attachments on the side, like the Comp-Tac MTAC, Milt Sparks Versa Max II, and the Eric Barber IWB.

Leather is more durable, and more often than not, I prefer it over Kydex. I've had a ton of both though, and everyone should give them both a try just to see what works for you. I normally find Kydex holsters to be pretty overpriced to be honest, for what they are. Bottom line - I've broke plenty of Kydex rigs, but I've never broke a leather holster.

MegademiC
08-13-14, 20:34
That holster looks really thick for IWB. My experience has been that thickness and grip length are the 2 most important factors for concealment. The com-tac ctac is great because it puts the loops in line with the holster, instead of adding them width-wise to it. I now carry a vg2. Every time I tried leather, it left me wanting more, and less - depending on what aspects we are talking about.

acaixguard
08-13-14, 20:40
All the Galco holsters I've examined in the past were not only too thick, but on the soft side too. That particular model is also pretty expensive for what you get.

For the same price or less, you can get top quality leather from Milt Sparks, Alessi, Ritchie Leather, 5 Shot, just to name a few.

And of course, there are plenty of kydex options too. Kydex vs leather is a whole other ball of wax. In general though, I prefer kydex for most OWB purposes, but I find leather to be more comfortable for IWB. You'll really just need to try both for extended periods of time to conclude what works best for you.

Regardless of whether you go with leather or kydex, pay for quality, even if the initial cost is a bit more. Buy once, cry once.

amac
08-13-14, 21:17
Great info. I have zero experience with IWB's. I've got my fair share of OWB's. All of which are Kydex. My thinking is that leather will wear better, last longer and conform better to both my Glock and body type. As for the Galco, glad to hear someone tell me it's thick. This is the problem with not having a good store to go to and examine various holsters. I've wasted too much money buying multiple items trying to figure out what I like and what works best. I guess we've all done that. I will look into all the models mentioned. I'm going into this purchase with a bias towards leather. I'm also thinking minimalist. I've seen other models where the belt attachments are to the side and that just adds width to the holster. The Galco and SSII both seem pretty simple. I'd like to find one with metal clips for easy on, easy off. So many come with Kydex clips and my concern is that will break - sooner or later. Also, I'm thinking placement at 3 -5 o'clock. Should I be looking for cant or straight? From experimentation, I think cant would present the best. Does the Milt Sparks come with the 15* or so of cant? Any other suggestions or advice is welcome. FWIW, I'm planning to purchase a belt from Beltman. I think his belts come 1-1/2 standard. Thanks again for the help.

Alpha Sierra
08-13-14, 21:23
Galco = Junk

Summer Special = print master and uncomfortable as hell

Get your IWB here: http://www.winthropholsters.com/

amac
08-13-14, 21:31
Galco = Junk

Summer Special = print master and uncomfortable as hell

Get your IWB here: http://www.winthropholsters.com/

I don't know dude. Custom at $50 doesn't sound right. This (http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=6&categoryID=23) Kramer Leather looks pretty sweet.

acaixguard
08-13-14, 21:33
Anything in front of 3:00, you will want a strait drop. The further back you go behind 3:00, the more cant you will want.

The original Summer Special looks to be about a 15º cant, while the Summer Special II has even more of a cant. Best to call up Milt Sparks during their business hours and ask. They are very helpful and friendly there.

For what it's worth, the best leather IWB holster I have tried is Lou Alessi's PCH. I personally don't like IWB holsters with loops on the "wings", but that is more just about my body type and preference. The problem with most SS style holsters for me is they kinda tend to sag down exactly on that spot (no matter what belt I have, and I have some stiff belts). It's hard to explain in words, but basically, the PCH has some extended leather in front of the holster body that really allows the holster to stay in place, without adding bulk to my waistline.

I believe the "new" Alessi shop still makes the PCH holsters. Ritchie Leathers (who's owner was a pupil of Lou Alessi) also makes one called the Stakeout, which is the same design. This holster also has snap loops, giving you quick on-off capability.

Andrewsky
08-13-14, 21:45
Basically, it is not physically possible for that holster to print more than other holsters. It has two pieces of leather (approx. 8 oz/sq ft) surrounding the gun. It's not as if their leather is twice as thick as other holsters or anything like that. The equation for thickness is Thickness = Gun + Layers of Leather. Sure you might be better off with a holster with the belt loops/clips off to the sides, but it's not that bad.

That being said, you might find that carrying IWB with that will result in a bulge in your waistline. Consider a Galco Fletch.

The Galco leather products I have tried (Fletch holsters, horsehide pocket holsters, magazine carriers, and belts) have all been really great. I think some of their lower end products might actually be junk but you are making a wise investment in their higher-end stuff. I have been very satisfied with their fit, finish, and construction, and I am pretty hard to please. I used to have my own LLC making leather holsters and I find it hard to criticize Galco.

1.75" loops/slots work just fine with 1.5" belts.

Sikiguya
08-13-14, 21:58
I had it...loved it and hated it. It was well constructed and was easy to put on. But it was a pain in the back..literally.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Alpha Sierra
08-14-14, 07:21
I don't know dude. Custom at $50 doesn't sound right. This (http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=6&categoryID=23) Kramer Leather looks pretty sweet.

It might not be "custom" and "handmade" but it is a hell of a deal and semi local to me.

If you want true custom quality (which BTW Kramer isn't either), get one from Tim Thurner: http://www.ttgunleather.com/

Alpha Sierra
08-14-14, 07:24
Basically, it is not physically possible for that holster to print more than other holsters.
Yes it is. With the belt loops over the widest part of the holster, that design prints more than IWB designs with the loops away from the gun.

1.75" loops/slots work just fine with 1.5" belts.
That is your opinion and I disagree. Belt loops matched to belt width give the most stability. The more stable the gun, the less it will print and the easier it is to draw and reholster.

Trajan
08-14-14, 07:40
Anything in front of 3:00, you will want a strait drop. The further back you go behind 3:00, the more cant you will want.

The original Summer Special looks to be about a 15º cant, while the Summer Special II has even more of a cant. Best to call up Milt Sparks during their business hours and ask. They are very helpful and friendly there.

The original Summer Special was a straight drop AIWB holster.

amac
08-14-14, 09:46
It might not be "custom" and "handmade" but it is a hell of a deal and semi local to me.

If you want true custom quality (which BTW Kramer isn't either), get one from Tim Thurner: http://www.ttgunleather.com/

I looked at his holsters. The slim "Mikes Special" looks interesting, but he doesn't reinforce the opening. How important is a reinforced opening when/if choosing leather? Seems to be pretty important for long term, one handed, easy reholstering. I guess that's one primary advantage of kydex.

amac
08-14-14, 11:38
I looked at his holsters. The slim "Mikes Special" looks interesting, but he doesn't reinforce the opening. How important is a reinforced opening when/if choosing leather? Seems to be pretty important for long term, one handed, easy reholstering. I guess that's one primary advantage of kydex.

Whoops. Just saw the REINFORCED Mikes Special. I may give this a try, based on your recommendation. Thanks

Alpha Sierra
08-14-14, 14:29
Not all leather holsters need a reinforced mouth. Some, like Brommeland, treat their leather in such as way that it will almost kydex rigid where it matters. When I had a Glock 17, I carried it most often in a Brommeland Max Con V and that holster never, ever gave a hint of collapsing at the mouth.

acaixguard
08-14-14, 16:21
The original Summer Special was a straight drop AIWB holster.

Wrong use of the word "original" then. I meant the plain/standard SS, which currently does have a cant. The SS2 has a greater cant, and rides lower in the waistband.

Jwknutson17
08-14-14, 16:53
Have you looked into Raven Concelment with IWB loops? Or seen the g-code Incog? Worn those 2 over the last 3 years daily. And I mean all day every day. No complaints ever. IWB, I ALWAYS wear kydex now. I used to swear by my Milt Sparks VM2's and had a bin full of them for every pistol. But, Leather does retain moisture, and depending the temperature, your perspiration level, where you live, plays a factor. Pretty much ruined a Ed Brown 1911 from a leather holster one hot summer. Now I only use Kydex. But to each his own. I had an issue with TT and DM Bullards that were not as stiff as my VM2. When I would pull the pistol out, from having my belt tight to keep the pistol from moving, it would collapse the holster and the front sight post would drag like crazy. So the Vm2 was the ticket for leather, and Raven has been my go to for Kydex..

kevN
08-14-14, 18:50
I think leather iwb is asking for trouble & not sure I see the point unless you have a specific issue with kydex. Particularly annoying to me would be using a retention strap in a iwb setup.

acaixguard
08-14-14, 18:55
I think leather iwb is asking for trouble & not sure I see the point unless you have a specific issue with kydex. Particularly annoying to me would be using a retention strap in a iwb setup.

Why would one need a retention strap on an IWB holster?

Alpha Sierra
08-14-14, 19:47
I think leather iwb is asking for trouble
Have you ever even had a leather holster, bro?

kevN
08-14-14, 21:24
Have you ever even had a leather holster, bro?

I guess I have wandered out of my lane. I've owned owb leather that weren't going to provide the level of retention I would be comfortable with without a thumb break but it's a small sample. My bad.

signal4l
08-14-14, 21:43
Leather is the way to go for IWB carry. I greatly prefer it over kydex. The Summer Special is appropriately named. It soaks up the sweat rather than allowing it to run off the holster. It is softer than kydex and. In my experience, much more comfortable.

I like the Sumner Special II that Brownells sells. It has removable loops. I didnt think this was a big deal until I wore out the brass snaps on mine.

I have not used the Galco holster mentioned by the OP. I wouldnt spend the money on it unless the belt loops can be replaced.

acaixguard
08-14-14, 21:43
Not trying to put you on the spot kevN, but would you mind naming which OWB holsters you've had? I only ask because the problem you described is typical with lower quality leather. I noticed the same softness with the Galco holsters I examined years ago. I too would not be satisfied with the long term retention of leather holsters like that.

However, you will not run into this problem from quality leather holster makers.

Slightly off topic, but I have a hard time putting my 1911s in kydex. There is really no logical explanation for this, but I just feel like a good 1911 belongs in leather. Any more modern pistol of mine pretty much sits in all kydex though.

kevN
08-14-14, 21:56
Not trying to put you on the spot kevN, but would you mind naming which OWB holsters you've had? I only ask because the problem you described is typical with lower quality leather. I noticed the same softness with the Galco holsters I examined years ago. I too would not be satisfied with the long term retention of leather holsters like that.

However, you will not run into this problem from quality leather holster makers.

Slightly off topic, but I have a hard time putting my 1911s in kydex. There is really no logical explanation for this, but I just feel like a good 1911 belongs in leather. Any more modern pistol of mine pretty much sits in all kydex though.

Actually one of them actually was a Galco paddle for a P226. I found by the time I had the thing "broken" in enough to snap the thumbreak without driving myself insane I had lost much of the retention from the holster itself. The other one was a Safariland made for glock 17 + x200.

Ed L.
08-14-14, 22:46
For what it's worth, I'm a happy user of the Galco Royal Guard IWB with my Glock 19.

Andrewsky
08-14-14, 22:47
Yes it is. With the belt loops over the widest part of the holster, that design prints more than IWB designs with the loops away from the gun.

That is your opinion and I disagree. Belt loops matched to belt width give the most stability. The more stable the gun, the less it will print and the easier it is to draw and reholster.

I don't really disagree with what you are saying. You make good points.

Gary1911A1
08-15-14, 11:06
I have and use a Galco Royal Guard for a Commander I carry. I seem to recall mine is made from horsehide and has given me years of service with just some wear in the trigger guard area. I do believe Bruce Nelson has been credit with making the first Summer Specials and they were without any chant so he could carry forward of his right hip better concealing and protecting his Commander when working undercover.

snaggletooth
08-15-14, 14:14
I also want to echo the sentiments above about the royal guard being a decent holster. I had one and cant complain about it. The horsehide was actually something of a benefit because the it didnt let the sweat go through to the gun. Others may complain about galco and say its cheap but their horsehide was pretty good.

Clay
08-15-14, 15:25
Galco is definitely the best of the mass produced leather holster makers. Much better than Desantis and Don Hume, although they also make serviceable gear.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk