PDA

View Full Version : Five seven pistol

dutch
08-14-14, 09:00
Anyone heard about cz or sig doing an all metal 5.7 pistol. A guy on the 5.7 forums posted they were in the proofing process now and thought we would see them within 6 mths. Specs he gave were 5 inch bbl and hammer fired. Also projected a 600 price range.

Doc. Holiday
08-14-14, 09:30
I haven't heard anything, but that would be cool. I love the ballistics of the 5.7.

wwdkd
08-14-14, 20:18
I'm a big CZ fan and read extensively on them and I've heard nothing of it, not to say they're not though, just I haven't heard of it

dutch
08-14-14, 22:49
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15613

I also would love one that's halfway affordable. A grand is one thing for an hk or 1911 or a decent ar, but it's kinda steep for the polymer fn.

08-15-14, 11:21
Like the five seven and it's round or not, another option in pistols should bring the price down.

teutonicpolymer
08-16-14, 08:41
Expensive ammo and shitty ballistics what's not to like

WillBrink
08-16-14, 11:08
I haven't heard anything, but that would be cool. I love the ballistics of the 5.7.

Really? Seems to get a solid thumbs down from the terminal ballistics experts, unless some recent design changes to the bullets offered has changed that.

Doc. Holiday
08-16-14, 11:18
Sorry, I poorly worded that sentence. What I SHOULD have wrote was that I love the idea that you can have a pistol that can penetrate kevlar and other soft body armors. Yes, it did lack in the terminal ballistics tests. I apologize for the poorly worded response.

WillBrink
08-16-14, 13:57
Sorry, I poorly worded that sentence. What I SHOULD have wrote was that I love the idea that you can have a pistol that can penetrate kevlar and other soft body armors. Yes, it did lack in the terminal ballistics tests. I apologize for the poorly worded response.

Ah, understood. My understanding was the legit armor penetrating ammo was restricted to LE/mil and what's sold to the public, at best a varmint rnd with ballistics of a .22 mag or .22 Hornet. That's how it was at least. Don't know if that's changed.

Coal Dragger
08-16-14, 22:52
I'd love to pick up a pistol in 5.7X28mm, some friends of mine have FN's and I like shooting them given the lack of recoil and generally very good accuracy. I think they make a great trail or camping gun, and if one could be had with a more refined trigger and sights an excellent small game getter. I've also heard positive things from guys that use them to run trap lines, quick humane kills on fur bearers with minimal pelt damage.

As a serious self defense gun.... um no.

MegademiC
08-17-14, 01:41
I thought there was a tsx load for 5.7 that was decent for SD, some kind of 50gr load from some small manufacture.

To be honest, I always wanted to buy a FiveseveN, but the caliber kept me away. An all metal gun chambered in it seems pointless. I like CZ's (metal framed - no plastic CZ experience) but have moved on from them.

WillBrink
08-17-14, 11:30
I'd love to pick up a pistol in 5.7X28mm, some friends of mine have FN's and I like shooting them given the lack of recoil and generally very good accuracy. I think they make a great trail or camping gun, and if one could be had with a more refined trigger and sights an excellent small game getter. I've also heard positive things from guys that use them to run trap lines, quick humane kills on fur bearers with minimal pelt damage.

As a serious self defense gun.... um no.

For less $$$ why not something like the .22 Mag or Hornet to fill that niche? Seems a lot of good choices for less $$$. The 5.7, using the right ammo (which is restricted to LE/mil last time I checked, but maybe that's changed?) fills a very narrow niche, and in that niche, i guess a good choice. But seems clearly of little value compared other choices for the $$$.

Unless I required a 5.7 PDW to fill that very narrow niche it fills (and not being LE, Mil, PMC, etc in need of something compact that's better than a pistol, penetrates soft armor, but couldn't carry a long gun, I don't) it seems a novelty gun.

That's my take at least, your mileage may vary.

Coal Dragger
08-17-14, 12:06
Well the 5.7X28 holds a few advantages over the .22 Mag and the .22 Hornet. Starting with the .22 Mag the 5.7X28 enjoys much more reliable center fire ignition and the rimless case makes for a round better suited to reliable feeding in a semi auto. This rimless case is also the main advantage vs the .22 Hornet plus most handguns chambered in the hornet are revolvers and the longer cartridge requires a longer than normal cylinder. So you end up with a heavier handgun. Realistically power levels between the three are about a wash for the tasks I would use them for, but the packaging possibilities of the 5.7X28 are attractive.

dutch
08-17-14, 18:06
The pistol is all that interest me, care less about the rifles, we have 223s for that. But a 22 mag out of a pistol is about like a 22lr. Looses to much velocity. Supposedly the 5.7 can still reach 2 or more out of a pistol. Be a nice packing gun for the woods, range, no recoil and good on varmints, would suit my needs for that purpose, but it is a lot for what your getting as a handgun at 1000 to 1200. Can get some nice pistols for that. At 5 to 7 though I would try one.

Coal Dragger
08-17-14, 19:42
Basically where I'm at on it. For what I would use it for, I don't see the value in paying well over $1K for it. Not that I haven't paid that much for most of the guns I own, or more, just not parting with that much coin for that FN.

Eurodriver
08-17-14, 21:40
I think the 5.7 is already too big and too loud. Metal would make it heavy too.

But I do like that there is comparatively little drop at 100 yards and it holds a ton of ammo in the five seven.

Why would a metal one be needed?

HKGuns
08-17-14, 21:46
Well the 5.7X28 holds a few advantages over the .22 Mag and the .22 Hornet. Starting with the .22 Mag the 5.7X28 enjoys much more reliable center fire ignition and the rimless case makes for a round better suited to reliable feeding in a semi auto. This rimless case is also the main advantage vs the .22 Hornet plus most handguns chambered in the hornet are revolvers and the longer cartridge requires a longer than normal cylinder. So you end up with a heavier handgun. Realistically power levels between the three are about a wash for the tasks I would use them for, but the packaging possibilities of the 5.7X28 are attractive.

Not only that, the Five-seveN PISTOL compares to a 22 Mag RIFLE. Five-seveN threads are always a lot of fun.

Low recoil, 20+ rounds, light weight and loud as hell.....what is not to like?

The pistol you see pictured below is my midnight coon Huntin setup. Works great.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v53/p593300868-5.jpg

vicious_cb
08-17-14, 21:47

But I do like that there is comparatively little drop at 100 yards and it holds a ton of ammo in the five seven.

Because REAL MEN use guns made of wood and steel! :rolleyes:

WillBrink
08-18-14, 09:09
Not only that, the Five-seveN PISTOL compares to a 22 Mag RIFLE. Five-seveN threads are always a lot of fun.

Low recoil, 20+ rounds, light weight and loud as hell.....what is not to like?

The pistol you see pictured below is my midnight coon Huntin setup. Works great.

If not for the cost of the gun and the ammo, I'd actually be interested at this point from points made in this thread. Personally, couldn't justify the $$$ for what it at this time.

HKGuns
08-18-14, 13:11
Yeah, it certainly isn't cheap......you can find deals on the ammo if you keep an eye out. I just picked up some for $22 / 50 which is 44 cents a round.

WillBrink
08-18-14, 15:04
Yeah, it certainly isn't cheap......you can find deals on the ammo if you keep an eye out. I just picked up some for $22 / 50 which is 44 cents a round.

As a plinker, small game gun, camping gun, cost/benefit just not there for me i guess.

Flankenstein
08-18-14, 15:50
Ah, understood. My understanding was the legit armor penetrating ammo was restricted to LE/mil and what's sold to the public, at best a varmint rnd with ballistics of a .22 mag or .22 Hornet. That's how it was at least. Don't know if that's changed.

That is my understanding as well.

Tzintzuntzan
08-19-14, 12:41

Dude, that joke is still funny even after all the times it's been reiterated across the 'net. Keep it up fellow HK fan, keep it up.

foxtrotx1
08-19-14, 16:25
One of the justifications I frequently see for the 5-7 is the existence of elite ammunition. If I recall however, the owner of that company has less than favorable reviews by many. I could be wrong.

HKGuns
08-19-14, 17:39
Dude, that joke is still funny even after all the times it's been reiterated across the 'net. Keep it up fellow HK fan, keep it up.

I like that you caught that and that you didn't call me out for it, which is what I get more often than not. Well done!

WillBrink
08-19-14, 18:50
I like that you caught that and that you didn't call me out for it, which is what I get more often than not. Well done!

Joke is going over my head. It's an FN pistol with HK patches in the pic. Is there something else I'm missing?

Coal Dragger
08-19-14, 19:04
You missed the round of ammunition inserted into the magazine backwards like in the old HK add of the 1990's that has been so widely ridiculed.

HKGuns
08-19-14, 19:14
Bingo, attention to detail WillBrink! :)

WillBrink
08-19-14, 19:16
You missed the round of ammunition inserted into the magazine backwards like in the old HK add of the 1990's that has been so widely ridiculed.

Ah, I recall that ad, but I didn't note that in the pic. Subtle sir, subtle.

MountainRaven
08-19-14, 20:45

A ton of ammo? You could buy a handgun in a real cartridge to get that.