PDA

View Full Version : Streamlight Keymod Mounting

uffdaphil
08-14-14, 09:40
I like TLRs at nine o'clock on picatinny rails. But with a rail section added to a KMR the rocker switch is ridiculously far away. I wrote Streamlight suggesting they devise a Keymod specific model to mount as close as with picatinny. Their response seems to me to be the opposite of what an accessory manufacturer's philosophy should be. What think you?

"Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, we do not decide the mounting locations on any weapon, those companies make that decision. It is up to those gun and 3rd party accessory manufacturers to design products that will accommodate not only Streamlight accessories, but products from other lighting and laser manufacturers.

Long Range Trigger Monkey
08-14-14, 14:28
I have to say that I agree with Streamlight's position. They're in business to make lights not light mounts, they designed the TLR to work with pistols and picatinny rails and considering that most aftermarket modular/keymod rails come with at least one accessory rail the problem of putting a light on the weapon is solved in their eyes and it doesn't cost them any more money. If you are looking to change the position of the TLR look at the Haley Strategic/IWC mounts. One positive note is that at least Streamlight responds to customer inquiries and they don't get lost in mail hell.

uffdaphil
08-14-14, 15:08
Kudos for the speed of their response and a raspberry for the content.. When the platform you make a product for is superseded by another you adapt or die. Streamlights business is making lights, yes, but they also make 1/2 of the mounting system. A sea-change in consumers preference for a different other half means if they don't cater to the new design someone else will. The stopgap measure of light mounted on picatinny mounted on keymod is so obviously redundant that I find it hard to fathom that anyone would think a simpler, more flush mount system is not inevitable. But then I remember how many years it took the US auto industry to accept market demand for small, light cars. And what it cost them in market share.

TAZ
08-14-14, 15:49
They seemed to try and wordsmith a response and managed to say the wrong thing. Maybe a better response would have been: Thanks for your comment and suggestion. We take customer feedback seriously, but unfortunately we have not had a sufficient demand for a direct Keymod mounted light to warrant the expensive development effort associated with the release of such a specialized product.

While Keymod is cool it's far from any kind of official or even de facto industry standard. Picatinny is still the king in that regard. Expecting a company like Streamlight or anyone for they matter to develop a direct Keymod mounted light for a low volume applications is suicide. The KM light would only work for ONE system and gun type. The current light works for handgun, carbine or any item capable of having a pic section attached to it, even if it's epoxied in place. How may KM applications would there be??

Eventually we may see KM direct lights and such, but the demand would need to be there.

uffdaphil
08-14-14, 16:15
That is a reasonable argument. We just disagree on the degree of new system penetration. I think between Keymod and soon M-LOK, King Picatinny has already suffered mortal wounds re the civilian market. Granted, I base that on the clout and track record of the main manufacturers and the enthusiasm of users for less weight and more comfortable grip. And the lack of buzz for new traditional rails.

I would love to see a graph for say the last 2-3 years comparing sales growth rates for rail types sold separately. Not factory complete guns which I expect is a lagging indicator.

TAZ
08-14-14, 16:50
For the civilian side you will probably see a trend for MOE like accessories or even standard handguards. Have to remember that 90% of the buying public isn't M4C mentality. Add Mil and handgun sales and Pic will be king of the hill.

KM or MLOK direct mount will come with time.