PDA

View Full Version : Build or buy next ar pistol

kaotik78
08-14-14, 18:58
Been living under a rock lately and recently got the bug to build or buy an ar pistol. Problem I'm encountering is mostly indecision regarding if I build, what buffer tube do I use, phase-5 or KAK? If I buy the same question comes up about the buffer tube. Though the only pistol I've seen is made by Sig and it's piston driven and 7.5" which is too short.

I've got a NSR-11 spare and have been debating a 12.5" barrel but Noveske seems to just not be available at the moment. Plagued with too many options since I've considered building this time.

I think at this point I would like to get some input or feedback on what buffer tube would be better to use with the sigbrace?

Thanks!

zombiescometh
08-14-14, 19:19
BCM pistol lower with Sig brace $515 http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM-PISTOL if not you can always put together your own lower.

My pistol lower
Aero stripped blem 80 with transfer
DD lpk 100
Phase 5 hex 2 pistol buffer kit 80

If you want a fsb I would go with the BCM 12.5 inch kino upper still comes with free BCG http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=1439 if not lots of good choices out there.

Pistol buffer wise I think it comes down to preference and what your state laws allow for pistols.

kaotik78
08-15-14, 07:07
BCM pistol lower with Sig brace $515 http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM-PISTOL if not you can always put together your own lower.

My pistol lower
Aero stripped blem 80 with transfer
DD lpk 100
Phase 5 hex 2 pistol buffer kit 80

If you want a fsb I would go with the BCM 12.5 inch kino upper still comes with free BCG http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=1439 if not lots of good choices out there.

Pistol buffer wise I think it comes down to preference and what your state laws allow for pistols.

Fair enough, I saw that link shortly after posting this question. I'm in the live somewhat free or die state so I'm g2g with that. On the lower is it just personal preference on roll marks cause basically all lowers are the same? I had wanted to use a noveske lower cause I like the wider mag well but availability is nil and this option above cuts half the wait time.

Decisions decisions...

zombiescometh
08-15-14, 12:29
Fair enough, I saw that link shortly after posting this question. I'm in the live somewhat free or die state so I'm g2g with that. On the lower is it just personal preference on roll marks cause basically all lowers are the same? I had wanted to use a noveske lower cause I like the wider mag well but availability is nil and this option above cuts half the wait time.

Decisions decisions...

Found some.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=RCVR2&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DNRIF

TehLlama
08-15-14, 12:39
I've been beaten to it, but it's nearly impossible to beat the value of the BCM Complete Pistol lowers from G&R, and the BCM KMR Uppers straight from BravoCompanyUSA that come with the BCG. They're literally short only a charging handle (BCM GF Mod5 my preference) and sights/lights/nonVerticalForegrips, and top notch stuff to boot.

That said, I have a trio of the Gen-2 Flared Forged Noveske units - they're a touch nicer, but my four go-to carbines use two of those lowers, a BCM Blemished, and Mark5.56's old Aero Precision lower. That difference is tiny, and half the reason I'm using those Novekse lowers is because I put GSSA-E triggers in them.

DWood
08-16-14, 08:36
I believe the KAK tube with built in stop is the best choice for both fit and availabilty of factory spacers.

You can build quite a bit cheaper than the BCM, so it depends what you want and are capable of and what you want.

An Aero Precision lower ($60), WOA LPK w/ ALG ACT ($95 at Weappon Outfitters), KAK RE Kit w/ H2 upgrade ($83) = $238. You can add various pistol grips to the Cool Guy LPK for $20-30 if you don't like the A2 grip, so lets say $258. That's more than a 30% savings and the lower has a better trigger.

The brace is available for about $110. KAK has spacers for the tube that add LOP for $12.

A Spikes Tactical complete standard pistol lower at $270 is about the same cost as building, but not with the specific parts like the KAK tube. Once all shipping is cobsidered this option may cost less.

I am building with AP lower, KAK tube, and Cool Guy LPK with ALG QMS (even less than ACT price above) and I am happy with the choice.

BuzzinSATX
08-16-14, 08:52
This is the buffer tube set up I've been eying for my future pistol build:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/17/new-phase-5-hex-2-pistol-buffer-tube/

kaotik78
08-16-14, 09:11
And a trip to my lgs has yielded a slew of noveske parts and a PWS 7" pistol. The lower actually said "pistol" on it but wasn't engraved. The mrs would not hold or shoulder it indicating to me that she certainly liked it. I loved it but did not get it. The brace was not what I was expecting and has now given me more fuel to really go forward.

My wife brought up a good point about buying complete though since I've never built a rifle before a ready made option should not be ignored. It's also a lack of knowledge on my part with regards to barrel length, 7 10 11 etc and what is "good". I'm also very hyped up to get a new toy so I need to "calm down" before I do something foolish. Though that PWS was very nice. I think I have some of the Noveske koolaid to get out of my system.

TehLlama
08-16-14, 10:35
In many ways, you've done extremely well by looking, finding out more firsthand and looking back for more information - you'll do fine as you narrow down exactly what you want to do with that pistol.
I'm more of a fan of running something with a carbine length gas system (the 7.5" units aren't very effective at terminal performance, are extremely loud, and not particularly reliable), while the 10.5", or better an 11.5" can run a lot better. Use a light handguard and reasonably light rail and it'll handle better than a 7.5" with a giant moderator type device on the front.

There is some value to buying as a complete setup, but realistically most of those benefits can be realized buying top end stuff (Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, LMT) as complete uppers and lowers and working from there. I'd still say it's super hard to beat the G&R sourced BCM Pistol lower, and getting an 11.5" KMR upper straight from BCM with the free BCG. If you can clean an AR-15, you can assemble it from those parts, so there's nothing to get wrong. There's some money to be saved with a generic forged lower, and sourcing your own quality LPK (I've had issued with RRA and DPMS ones which are the primarly sourced parts for cheap LPKs), but that requires a punch set and some patience to get right, having a factory complete lower and factory complete upper works fantastically, and still has most of the savings.

kaotik78
08-16-14, 12:04
In many ways, you've done extremely well by looking, finding out more firsthand and looking back for more information - you'll do fine as you narrow down exactly what you want to do with that pistol.
I'm more of a fan of running something with a carbine length gas system (the 7.5" units aren't very effective at terminal performance, are extremely loud, and not particularly reliable), while the 10.5", or better an 11.5" can run a lot better. Use a light handguard and reasonably light rail and it'll handle better than a 7.5" with a giant moderator type device on the front.

There is some value to buying as a complete setup, but realistically most of those benefits can be realized buying top end stuff (Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, LMT) as complete uppers and lowers and working from there. I'd still say it's super hard to beat the G&R sourced BCM Pistol lower, and getting an 11.5" KMR upper straight from BCM with the free BCG. If you can clean an AR-15, you can assemble it from those parts, so there's nothing to get wrong. There's some money to be saved with a generic forged lower, and sourcing your own quality LPK (I've had issued with RRA and DPMS ones which are the primarly sourced parts for cheap LPKs), but that requires a punch set and some patience to get right, having a factory complete lower and factory complete upper works fantastically, and still has most of the savings.

After I got back I did more digging on the computer and found that the PWS was piston driven rather than DI. I rather wanted to keep things standardized as best I can. I only have one piston AR. The shop was busy and I did not take it apart and just "ass"umed that it was DI. The thing I have encountered recently since I've been looking is the hype that is still evident in LGS's, putting out the "get it now before it's gone" attitude. My wife was the more sensible one and said do your research first but then said that it was indeed nice.

Time for a pot of coffee and to do more research. I sincerely appreciate the insight and input from everyone!

prq9218
08-16-14, 14:11
I'm in the process of a build right now. I had a list of all the parts I was going to buy for the upper, and when BCM came out with their free BCG with upper deal, I scrapped the parts list and bought an 11.5 w/KMR. It was a deal I couldn't pass up, just received it, and am extremely happy with it's quality. Can't wait to go zero it and put it through it's paces.

Blinking Dog
08-16-14, 15:39
I'm working on a 5.56 pistol build and 300 BLK pistol build. I got a Phase 5 tube to try out, b/c of its length. I put a Sig Brace on it, and it was a snug fit so it's not moving. The front of the tube is hexagonal so it lines up with the flat part of the brace. The length is good for me. With brace on, and tube attached to lower, it puts back of brace at same spot/length I extend my buttstock to on a 5.56 carbine. So if by chance I happen to shoulder my pistol, purely hypothetically of course, it would be the right length for me. I considered the KAK tube, and originally figured I'd get a Phase 5 and a KAK to try both. I like that they now have spacers. But, I don't see the need now that I know the Phase 5 works for me. Now I think I'll just get another Phase 5. Quick shipping. Came with tube, receiver plate and castle nut.

bobfried
08-20-14, 01:28
I've built a few AR pistols, and after all is said and done I would buy a complete lower and mate it with the upper you want.