PDA

View Full Version : 1-4 optic issue

Triton225
08-15-14, 21:07
Wanting to put a 1-4 optic on my ar, and have run into a issue which makes me go huuummmm....
Have been looking at the Burris MTAC, Leupold VX R Patrol, and the Vortex PST 1-4's.
I have got to look through all and have come across a issue with the PST.
While on 1X looking with both eyes open, I can pic up the reticle and target with the MTAC and VX R, but the PST I can't see the reticle well enough to use it for (best description) CQB shooting. I can see the Burris and Leupold's fine, the reticles are similar so what gives with the PST? Can anyone explain that to me?

Triton225
08-17-14, 12:54
140 views and no suggestions?

ex95B10
08-17-14, 13:07
Eotech EXPS3

Voodoo_Man
08-17-14, 13:19
Check out my review on the vxr on my blog.

It really depends on what you want the optic to do for you.

NongShim
08-17-14, 13:52
Sounds like a focus issue. The eyepiece needs to be adjusted for your vision.

el_chingoton13
08-17-14, 15:16
+1 on the focus. I have a 1-4 PST and have had no issues seeing the reticle at 1x.

Triton225
08-17-14, 18:05
I could see it fine with one eye closed, but going both eyes open is what gave me they trouble. The leupold. And Burris didn't either way.....

Tigereye
08-17-14, 20:15
I've got the Vortex scope but don't have that issue.

LTMattyL
08-17-14, 22:12
Wanting to put a 1-4 optic on my ar, and have run into a issue which makes me go huuummmm....
Have been looking at the Burris MTAC, Leupold VX R Patrol, and the Vortex PST 1-4's.
I have got to look through all and have come across a issue with the PST.
While on 1X looking with both eyes open, I can pic up the reticle and target with the MTAC and VX R, but the PST I can't see the reticle well enough to use it for (best description) CQB shooting. I can see the Burris and Leupold's fine, the reticles are similar so what gives with the PST? Can anyone explain that to me?

What exactly do you mean with the bolded part above? Is it fuzzy with both eyes open? Can you not see it at all? Did you have the illumination turned on? Did you look through them actually mounted on a gun with the proper eye relief? I have the vortex as well and have no issues with both eyes open.

Triton225
08-18-14, 17:52
Holding in hand away far enough that all is in focus with one eye shut and not illuminated. I can see what I'm looking at with both eyes, but the reticle is not distinct enough for me to shoot that way. One eye closed yes, not with both open. Does not happen with the leupold or burris including them not being illumanted. Can't explain it that's why I asked to see if anyone else has heard anything similar.

LTMattyL
08-18-14, 20:59
That is interesting. Did the MTAC have a red reticle? I don't have experience with the VX-R or the MTAC but both seem to have some element of red in the reticle even without illumination. On the VX-R, could you make out the entire reticle or did you just focus on the firedot in the center? I would think if you could see the entire reticle then you should have no issues with the vortex. I am not trying to be an ass with this last question, but might you be cross-eyed dominant? I ask because a dark reticle, like on the unilluminated vortex, might be harder for your brain to overlay to the image from the dominate eye without illumination like you would get from the VX-R or MTAC. It is just a thought. Outside of that, you may just have to take the vortex out of consideration.

Triton225
08-18-14, 21:25
The VX r was predominately black the center would illuminate, but I could see all of it fine. no offense taken, No cross eye dominate issues going on. I dont get why the pst dont work for me. I like the VX R patrol alot, but for the money I'm satisfied with the MTAC and I think that is the route I'm going. From finger screwing all them and the reviews I've read I think the MTAC will be fine for me. Only one way to find out for sure though. Drop the hammer...

LTMattyL
08-19-14, 00:19
Cool. It still seems strange that you only have issues with the one. Regardless, it sounds like you have a plan. Drive on and enjoy.

GH41
08-19-14, 06:27
The VX r was predominately black the center would illuminate, but I could see all of it fine. no offense taken, No cross eye dominate issues going on. I dont get why the pst dont work for me. I like the VX R patrol alot, but for the money I'm satisfied with the MTAC and I think that is the route I'm going. From finger screwing all them and the reviews I've read I think the MTAC will be fine for me. Only one way to find out for sure though. Drop the hammer...

You must be looking at the first gen MTAC (TAC 30). The newer one cost within $50 of what you can find the Patrol for. Keep looking at the Patrol.

Voodoo_Man
08-19-14, 06:47
http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/10/leupold-vx-r-patrol-125-4x20-firedot-on.html