PDA

View Full Version : PMAG M3 not seating well

lahunter57
08-16-14, 10:17
I have two Gen 3 20 rd PMAGS that do not seem to want to seat well in one of my Spikes lowers. They require a pretty forceful hit when fully loaded on a closed bolt to get them to catch(and the same is true when unloaded, it's just a little easier)

I tried changing the mag catch out and adjusting the tension but they are still more difficult to seat. I tried the 2 mags in all of my other lowers and I didn't have a problem.

Is anyone else having the same problem? My lower works fine with GI and earlier generation PMAGS. It's just aggravating to have a lower that doesn't these mags.

GTF425
08-16-14, 10:23
I always download my mags to 28 rounds for this reason. So long as the mags drop free and the feed lips are intact, I don't sweat it if they do or don't lock in when loaded to a full 30 rounds. As for if I have this problem, a few of my PMAGs and GIs won't lock in with 30 rounds in my issued M4. Because of this, I load every mag to 28 rounds (except the one in the rifle) and have them numbered and marked. If they start to induce malfunctions, I just toss the mag and replace it. All of the mags in our trucks are also loaded to 28 rounds to minimize the risk of them falling out if someone doesn't push-pull when reloading.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear this is a common occurrence. I don't know of any aftermarket follower spring solutions to rectify it because I've never tried any.

lahunter57
08-16-14, 10:26
I always download my mags to 28 rounds for this reason. So long as the mags drop free and the feed lips are intact, I don't sweat it if they do or don't lock in when loaded to a full 30 rounds. As for if I have this problem, a few of my PMAGs and GIs won't lock in with 30 rounds in my issued M4. Because of this, I load every mag to 28 rounds (except the one in the rifle) and have them numbered and marked. If they start to induce malfunctions, I just toss the mag and replace it. All of the mags in our trucks are also loaded to 28 rounds to minimize the risk of them falling out if someone doesn't push-pull when reloading.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear this is a common occurrence. I don't know of any aftermarket follower spring solutions to rectify it because I've never tried any.

I forgot to mention this but they also don't like seating even when the magazines are empty.

It's almost like the mag well is out of spec or the tolerances are just too close and they don't want to work right.

Malig8r
08-16-14, 10:49
This has been discussed before. I even replied to the thread but I can't seem to locate the thread yet. I'll edit post when I find it. The short answer is that it could be that your lower has tighter tolerances. Simple fix is most likely a quick sanding job or just pull those mags out of the rotation for that weapon.

Not the post I replied to but addresses your Pmag 20 round magazine question:

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-131227.html

lahunter57
08-16-14, 11:00
This has been discussed before. I even replied to the thread but I can't seem to locate the thread yet. I'll edit post when I find it. The short answer is that it could be that your lower has tighter tolerances. Simple fix is most likely a quick sanding job or just pull those mags out of the rotation for that weapon.

I searched the threads and I couldn't really find any that had my problem. Most were last round hold open and feeding problems with the early production M3's.

I guess I'm being nit picky about the mags. They do seat, just not like they do in my other weapons and I don't have any feeding or bolt hold open problems.

GTF425
08-16-14, 11:08
You mentioned it works well with GI and older PMAGs, so honestly, my vote is gonna still be that the mags are the issue. It wouldn't be unheard of for a mag to be out of spec.

I had a few out of the wrapper GI mags with the brown follower issued that wouldn't drop free at all. You could physically see the magazine well rubbing the finish off of the mags and you had to pull them out to reload. So, I went to supply and got some new ones. Now I make all of my guys function check their mags at a minimum monthly to insure they're still usable and safe.

It *could* be the lower, but if you aren't seeing the problem with the majority of the mags you own, I wouldn't go shaving anything. Like Malig8r says, either take them out of the rotation on that rifle or contact Magpul and see what they say. They've had excellent customer service in my past experiences with them.

If I were stateside, I'd donate a few more Gen3 PMAGs for you to check function with. It's always shitty when something doesn't quite work the way you want it to.

Malig8r
08-16-14, 11:15
I should have been a little more clear in my response. While I stated that it could be the lower with tight tolerances, I agree that it is most likely a magazine issue. Hence the follow up about a quick sand job or removal from the rotation, particularly given that it's only a couple of magazines in question.

lahunter57
08-16-14, 11:16
You mentioned it works well with GI and older PMAGs, so honestly, my vote is gonna still be that the mags are the issue. It wouldn't be unheard of for a mag to be out of spec.

I had a few out of the wrapper GI mags with the brown follower issued that wouldn't drop free at all. You could physically see the magazine well rubbing the finish off of the mags and you had to pull them out to reload. So, I went to supply and got some new ones. Now I make all of my guys function check their mags at a minimum monthly to insure they're still usable and safe.

It *could* be the lower, but if you aren't seeing the problem with the majority of the mags you own, I wouldn't go shaving anything. Like Malig8r says, either take them out of the rotation on that rifle or contact Magpul and see what they say. They've had excellent customer service in my past experiences with them.

If I were stateside, I'd donate a few more Gen3 PMAGs for you to check function with. It's always shitty when something doesn't quite work the way you want it to.

The fact that the lower works with every other magazine I own also makes me think that it's something with the magazine.

My sample size is small, I only have 2 M3's so I can't exactly test them accurately.

I appreciate the help and your service! I may just go pick up a few more 20 rounders and if they don't work, then I'll dedicate them to my SPR.

lahunter57
08-16-14, 11:19
I should have been a little more clear in my response. While I stated that it could be the lower with tight tolerances, I agree that it is most likely a magazine issue. Hence the follow up about a quick sand job or removal from the rotation, particularly given that it's only a couple of magazines in question.

I knew what you were getting at!

I sanded the over insertion tab on one of them and it didn't seem to help, which makes me think that maybe the mags are too long from the catch tab to the feed lips and the tolerances are adding up just right and not liking them.

avengd7x
08-16-14, 14:16
m3 pmags are the only magazines that don't drop free very well from my several of my lowers, but especially my KAC lowers. every other mag ejects fine. I've tested several m3 pmags.

Stumanbmx
08-16-14, 14:21
I have a few gen 3 20 rounders with the same exact problem in my Aero lower. Glad to see I'm not alone.

lahunter57
08-16-14, 14:22
m3 pmags are the only magazines that don't drop free very well from my several of my lowers, but especially my KAC lowers. every other mag ejects fine. I've tested several m3 pmags.

They drop free just fine, so that's not my problem. It seems a lot if people are just having problems with them in general.

lahunter57
08-16-14, 14:25
I have a few gen 3 20 rounders with the same exact problem in my Aero lower. Glad to see I'm not alone.

I just emailed Magpul customer service about them. Of course it's the weekend so it'll be a while before I hear back but I'll post what they come back with on here for your reference.

Mine have a time stamp of 6/13, so I don't know if mine are included in that initial batch that was having problems. We shall see.

Gigantor24
08-16-14, 14:56
Interested to see what magpul will have yo say..

I have two gen 3, 40 rounders that do the exact same thing.. [only gen 3's I own so I can't compare to gen 3, 30 rounders]

It dosent matter how many rounds they are darn near exhausting to get them to seat.. They may as well be paper weights..

For reference, I'm using these in a newer factory BCM lower.. All gen 2 pmags and lancer mags work flawlessly..

justin_247
08-16-14, 15:12
I have two Gen 3 20 rd PMAGS that do not seem to want to seat well in one of my Spikes lowers. They require a pretty forceful hit when fully loaded on a closed bolt to get them to catch(and the same is true when unloaded, it's just a little easier)

I tried changing the mag catch out and adjusting the tension but they are still more difficult to seat. I tried the 2 mags in all of my other lowers and I didn't have a problem.

Is anyone else having the same problem? My lower works fine with GI and earlier generation PMAGS. It's just aggravating to have a lower that doesn't these mags.

Have you tried putting in the mag with the bolt locked back? How tight is it then?

Magpul has been molding little lips about a 1/3 of the way down from the top of the magazine in recent revisions to get the magazine to be more stable in the weapon, and sometimes this causes a problem where it might not seat quite as easily. However, you won't know if this is the problem unless you load the magazine with the bolt locked back. If the problem remains, there's probably a problem with the mag.

Also, how well do GI mags do?

Schulze
08-16-14, 18:59
M3s are a little tighter than M2s. I smack my M3s on one of my lowers.

Trajan
08-16-14, 19:03
I too have noticed this. My theory is if you slap the mag in, it may be bouncing off the "over-insertion tab".

Try putting the mag in slower, but with more muscle behind it.

tcoz
08-16-14, 19:21
One of the guys at my LGS told me that the lip on the Gen3 mags is there to prevent over insertion on certain guns that don't have over insertion tabs. He advised me to stick with Gen2 mags because the lip seems to prevent complete magazine locking when inserted with a closed bolt.

My son and I have identical rifles and both of us have the problem only with the Gen3's.

joeyjoe
08-16-14, 20:02
OK....now im concerned....I have about 25 pmag gen M3 30 rounders still in their unopened bags (put back in case of "rainy day"). In addition to the unopened mags, I have about 10 gen m3 30 rounders that I use on a regular basis. I haven't had any notable issues with the 10 mags that I use on a regular basis (running through BCM lowers). Am I going to have to bust all these things open and give em a go? Anyone have really positive experiences with gen m3 pmags? is this a systemic problem with all gen m3's? hope Im not counting on magazines that will be worthless when I need them the most.

lahunter57
08-16-14, 20:09
Have you tried putting in the mag with the bolt locked back? How tight is it then?

Magpul has been molding little lips about a 1/3 of the way down from the top of the magazine in recent revisions to get the magazine to be more stable in the weapon, and sometimes this causes a problem where it might not seat quite as easily. However, you won't know if this is the problem unless you load the magazine with the bolt locked back. If the problem remains, there's probably a problem with the mag.

Also, how well do GI mags do?

I can get the mag to lock in on both open and closed bolts but it just requires a lot more force than my GI's and earlier pmags.

My weapon functions flawlessly with GI's

lahunter57
08-16-14, 20:12
OK....now im concerned....I have about 25 pmag gen M3 30 rounders still in their unopened bags (put back in case of "rainy day"). In addition to the unopened mags, I have about 10 gen m3 30 rounders that I use on a regular basis. I haven't had any notable issues with the 10 mags that I use on a regular basis (running through BCM lowers). Am I going to have to bust all these things open and give em a go? Anyone have really positive experiences with gen m3 pmags? is this a systemic problem with all gen m3's? hope Im not counting on magazines that will be worthless when I need them the most.

Look at the time stamp on your unopened mags and see if it matches the ones you have that are working. If they match, then it's probably safe to assume they will also work

08-17-14, 05:55
I knew what you were getting at!

I sanded the over insertion tab on one of them and it didn't seem to help, which makes me think that maybe the mags are too long from the catch tab to the feed lips and the tolerances are adding up just right and not liking them.

I have a buddy that I cerakoted a lower for and he had issues with this lower and Gen3 mags, popped in some Gen2's and std GI mags with no issues. For his lower, it was the overinsertion tab that was hanging on the magwell, removed that and they worked fine. Something in the magwell flare on his particular lower was causing his issues with the Gen3's.

cemoulton
08-17-14, 10:57
I have a few that work fine and a few that are hard to seat in all of my ar pattern rifles.

Only gen3 20 rounders and doesn't matter if bolt is locked back, mag empty, mag full, bolt forward ....

lahunter57
08-17-14, 11:58
I have a few that work fine and a few that are hard to seat in all of my ar pattern rifles.

Only gen3 20 rounders and doesn't matter if bolt is locked back, mag empty, mag full, bolt forward ....

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I was worried the problem was with my lower, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

SPQR476
08-18-14, 09:06
You can get some tolerance stacking that causes issues with some lowers with some GEN M3 PMAGs. It's rare, as in more GEN M3 PMAGs in circulation that you can imagine, and very, very few fitment problems being reported...far less than previous gens. The mags are meant to work within the Colt TDP magwell and the HK416 magwell, along with as many others as we could measure or get drawings for. Occasionally, someone's tolerances, anodizing, accessories, or other features will cause an interference. In many cases, it's just a hair, but it's enough to be a pain. Very small adjustments to the offending surface on the magazine will usually clear these up for these problematic fitments.

I've never personally experienced any fitment problems apart from mag well flares or add-on mag wells, but the GEN M3 does so many things so well that it would be worth it to me to sort it out if I did in order to keep using the GEN M3 mags.

If there is a fitment issue, Customer Service should take good care of you. Please feel free to let me know if there are problems with that interaction, or if you are not pleased with the result.

D

lahunter57
08-18-14, 10:45
You can get some tolerance stacking that causes issues with some lowers with some GEN M3 PMAGs. It's rare, as in more GEN M3 PMAGs in circulation that you can imagine, and very, very few fitment problems being reported...far less than previous gens. The mags are meant to work within the Colt TDP magwell and the HK416 magwell, along with as many others as we could measure or get drawings for. Occasionally, someone's tolerances, anodizing, accessories, or other features will cause an interference. In many cases, it's just a hair, but it's enough to be a pain. Very small adjustments to the offending surface on the magazine will usually clear these up for these problematic fitments.

I've never personally experienced any fitment problems apart from mag well flares or add-on mag wells, but the GEN M3 does so many things so well that it would be worth it to me to sort it out if I did in order to keep using the GEN M3 mags.

If there is a fitment issue, Customer Service should take good care of you. Please feel free to let me know if there are problems with that interaction, or if you are not pleased with the result.

D

I really appreciate the help. I am in no way displeased with the product and I hope I can figure out what is happening so I can use the M3 magazines.

I tried taking a little material off of the over insertion tab, but I do not think that is where the conflict is originating. I'm nervous to take any material off in other locations for the fear that I may render the magazine completely useless.

I'm waiting on the email from customer service and I have no doubts that the experience will be anything less than excellent.

All in all, the magazines work and they DO seat(just with a little more force).

Thanks for your time!

rapomstage3
08-19-14, 19:22
I have s KAC ambi lower and a noveske that 4 gen 3 pmags have to be forced in and ripped out. I sanded them down and it is fixed. I never had any seating issues though. Al mags worked perfect with my bcm lower though. 40 rounder always worked too. Just 20 and 30 rounders had issues for me.

dramabeats
08-19-14, 22:32
My gen 3 mags are hard to seat in my aero lower when the bolt is closed, gen 2 works fine

The over insertion tab is not hitting, I'm wondering what causes this?

lahunter57
08-20-14, 11:55
I got a reply from magpul, but they just asked some questions. I responded and I'm waiting for another reply. I'll post what they say on this thread.

lahunter57
08-20-14, 14:26
So I heard back from them and apparently I have 2 of the older 20rd M3's that were causing some problems.

So, look on the left side of your magazine and you will find a circle with the 05, 06, or 07 in it. I had the 05, which must be the older ones. If you have a 05 and you mags aren't working well, then that may be the problem.

Magpul offered to replace them and they are going to send me a label so I can send the old ones back.

Great service from Magpul!

Warp
08-20-14, 14:27
So I heard back from them and apparently I have 2 of the older 20rd M3's that were causing some problems.

So, look on the left side of your magazine and you will find a circle with the 05, 06, or 07 in it. I had the 05, which must be the older ones. If you have a 05 and you mags aren't working well, then that may be the problem.

Magpul offered to replace them and they are going to send me a label so I can send the old ones back.

Great service from Magpul!

What year? The number in the middle is the year and the arrow points to the month is my understanding

Or are you referring to the number in a circle next to the manufacturing date?

lahunter57
08-20-14, 14:28
What year? The number in the middle is the year and the arrow points to the month is my understanding

Not that circle, the one above it. That's the only one they asked about.

Warp
08-20-14, 14:29
Not that circle, the one above it. That's the only one they asked about.

You missed my edit. I walked to the other room and looked at mine, seeing and remembering the circle. I suppose that is a revision number? Magpul what say you?

weespeed
08-21-14, 04:00
I have 10 M3 20 rounders. They don't like to go in to any of my rifles without a hard smack. Once in its like wedged in and I have to pull hard to release them.
I contacted MAGPUL and apparently there was a batch that had issues. They were going to send me out new ones and I send the old ones back, but since CA is a joke, MAGPUL cannot send them to me.
But I was told that if I remove the over travel stop, it may help. Haven't had a chance to do it yet.

But if you contact MAGPUL support and not located in one of the stupid banned states, they'll swap out new ones for you.
Great customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RWCRaiden
08-21-14, 14:28
I've had a seating issue with the M3 PMAGS in a BCM lower, but nothing a hard slap and pull won't fix. I've got two 20 rounders but haven't had this issue with those. Just the 30s.