PDA

View Full Version : Help me break my wallet-crippling habit! Pick me a gun!

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 16:45
Hey guys,

I am blowing money on guns like a moron. Have been for decades. After Newtown I pared it down to a Hk45c for quite a while but I got back into the habit of buying guns and playing again (my Wilson CQB being the gun that started me back down the money burning path!)

So....the PLAN is to sell off all my guns but one. I don't want to hear how this is a stupid idea because I know it is! I just want to get back to basics and focus on one gun.

Here are the candidates....

1. Wilson CQB Elite. Amazing gun. Easiest gun I have ever had to shoot well. Heavy and requires some effort to carry/conceal. If I was going to step out into a duel I would want this gun.

2. HKP7M8. Awesome, easy gun to shoot well and safe. Very easy to conceal and carry. Out of production and expensive as hell to replace and only used guns are available.

3. HK45c. A real beast. G19 sized with 9 rounds of 230 grain goodness in the gun. More difficult to shoot fast than the Wilson. Could probably shoot this gun forever without killing it. Easy to suppress, and 100 percent reliable. If I was going to wake up in the next Mad Max movie I would want this gun.

4. HK VP9. Around 1000 rounds down the pipe. Probably the fastest gun I own. So far 1000 percent reliable with no hints of future trouble (1911/Glock ejection "rainbow"). Great trigger, holds lots of bullets. Boring, but nice.

I am never getting rid of my J-frame so down worry about that. My J-frame is basically like my wallet or keys. Not something I necessarily enjoy, but I will never be without it.

Again, give me your opinion on which one to focus on. I don't need any lectures on why you wouldn't do this.

TehLlama
08-17-14, 16:49
That's not an easy call at all - as much as it's not the one I'd personally choose, the simple fact is that finding a P7M8 as good as yours is going to be challenging at any budget, whereas the latest HK offerings can be re-acquired, and Wilson is still turning out pistols at that same quality level - something to consider.

Kain
08-17-14, 16:58
You know I've got the same problem, and a few times more pistols. I don't bitch about it, I embrace it. :D

But if you have to get rid of some of those nice H&Ks feel free to send them up here, would love to give my P7M8 a brother. :D If I was still living in georgia would come pick it up in person.

Honestly, of the four pistols there, the one I would be hardest pressed to sell would likely be the P7M8 because they don't make them any more and it is only going to go up in value, and I truly love the little bastards. That said, I can justify all four in my mind for various objectives and desires, but if I were selling any of them I would sell the H&K 45 first. That said, from a practical standpoint keep the two 9mms.

That said, you'd be breaking a lot of people's hearts here if you sold off the Wilson Combat before breaking it good and well. :)

RIDE
08-17-14, 17:00
Ok. Here's why you shouldn't do this.....
Kidding!!

That's a tough call.
The first one I'd sell is the HK45c, easily replaceable, low capacity, etc.

Next, I'd sell the VP9, I'd actually sell this pretty quickly as the market is hot in these regarding resell value. This too is extremely replaceable in the future.

Now, the 1911 and the P7..

Between these 2, I'd part with the 1911, while it sounds like an awesome piece, these will be being made for a long time to come... While the P7 will be more and more valuable, and harder to replace with every passing month..

El Cid
08-17-14, 17:23
In a world of active shooters and other multiple threats, if I could only have a single handgun it would be a high-cap (no single stacks with less than 10 rounds would even get considered), and a caliber that's super available and as affordable as.possible. For me that would be a G19. Off your list, the VP9 hands down.

Wake27
08-17-14, 18:07
In a world of active shooters and other multiple threats, if I could only have a single handgun it would be a high-cap (no single stacks with less than 10 rounds would even get considered), and a caliber that's super available and as affordable as.possible. For me that would be a G19. Off your list, the VP9 hands down.

I agree. While the other ones may be hard to replace or sell for sentimental reasons, you're effectively choosing to have one pistol for all tasks. It's no different than a newbie asking a similar question, to which everybody always answers the same - a 9mm polymer pistol from any number of manufacturers. VP9 fits the bill perfectly, aside from lack of data about it's performance over time. But many people would take HK's reputation and probably be comfortable with that.

Now that I've solved your problem and saved you untold amounts of money in the long run, about my discount on that Wilson...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam
08-17-14, 18:09
Bring them all up here next month and I'll give you $1000 for three of them, my pick :) You go home with one gun and $1000 in your pocket. hehe.

Seriously, sell all of them and buy a CZ P07.

RMiller
08-17-14, 18:09
Keep what you shoot with best and what you are most confident in.

Which is it?

Sam
08-17-14, 18:10
Bring them all up here next month and I'll give you $1000 for three of them, my pick :) You go home with one gun and $1000 in your pocket. hehe.

Beat Trash
08-17-14, 18:15
I'm a fan of the 9mm.

I like higher capacity in a carry gun.

I like a gun that currently is in production, so that parts and magazines are easy to get.

I have about 600 rounds through my VP9. The more I shoot it, the more it grows on me.

If you must....

Keep your VP9 and your J-Frame. Dump the rest.

SeriousStudent
08-17-14, 18:29
Keeping the pistols you own now is not costing you any money, I hope.

I'd get a couple more month's worth of shooting and data on the VP9, and then sell the 45c and the P7M8.

You will hate life down the road if you sell that Wilson.

ETA: Unless you sell it to Sam, of course. Then he will be a true gentleman, and send you pictures of him shooting it at the range, so you will feel content about its new home.

Biggy
08-17-14, 18:34
Off your list, another vote for the VP9 hands down, and then if it ever happens in the future, get a VP9 compact, which would be a little better suited for carry. IMHO, a hi-cap 9mm shooting a good JHP is all you need in a defensive pistol caliber. As its been said before, and even though it has just been released, IMHO, the VP9 shines in its " out of the box factor "compared to similar offerings ( overall less issues and upgrades needed). That being said, I still really like my Gen 4 Glock 17's and 19 set up with some Vicker's parts and a little trigger work. I also hear that the current S&W M&P
9mm pistols have much better triggers and accuracy than ones from maybe 6 months to a year ago. The Glock and M&P 9's have a two round edge in mag capacity and IMO are slightly
softer shooting than the VP9.

nate89
08-17-14, 18:35
I would keep the VP9 for sure, and I would sell the 45c for sure. Although I think you could get a good chunk of change for the wilson, I would have a hard time parting with that. You could sell one (in my opinion the 45c) this month, and see how it goes? Then take some time to consider the next one on the chopping block.

brushy bill
08-17-14, 18:42
If you MUST get down to one, I would go with the HK 45C.

Here's why:

P7 will become harder to get parts for in event of failure.

HK VP7 relatively new and unproven. Parts not yet widely available. I don't even know where I can find a recoil spring for mine.

Also, I am not convinced these will live up to USP / P30 durability. I bought one and some aspects of the design seem (yes "seems" as I know even the suggestion will raise hackles among the faithful) cheaper or more fragile (ala slide release system, take down lever, and I can see light through polymer of fingergrooves of mag well on mine). Proves nothing, but by same token we have not established this is P30 equivalent yet either.

Wilson brings better resale than HK45C, which is likely more bombproof and less likely to require repair. Easy pick to me if I had to go with one. Recently went through similar drill and a S&W 27 5", HK P7M8, Colt Python, and others were among casualties. No regrets and easier log trail with mostly Glocks (herd growing again though).

MSparks909
08-17-14, 18:49
Hey guys,

I am blowing money on guns like a moron. Have been for decades. After Newtown I pared it down to a Hk45c for quite a while but I got back into the habit of buying guns and playing again (my Wilson CQB being the gun that started me back down the money burning path!)

So....the PLAN is to sell off all my guns but one. I don't want to hear how this is a stupid idea because I know it is! I just want to get back to basics and focus on one gun.

1. Wilson CQB Elite. Amazing gun. Easiest gun I have ever had to shoot well. Heavy and requires some effort to carry/conceal. If I was going to step out into a duel I would want this gun.

2. HKP7M8. Awesome, easy gun to shoot well and safe. Very easy to conceal and carry. Out of production and expensive as hell to replace and only used guns are available.

3. HK45c. A real beast. G19 sized with 9 rounds of 230 grain goodness in the gun. More difficult to shoot fast than the Wilson. Could probably shoot this gun forever without killing it. Easy to suppress, and 100 percent reliable. If I was going to wake up in the next Mad Max movie I would want this gun.

4. HK VP9. Around 1000 rounds down the pipe. Probably the fastest gun I own. So far 1000 percent reliable with no hints of future trouble (1911/Glock ejection "rainbow"). Great trigger, holds lots of bullets. Boring, but nice.

I am never getting rid of my J-frame so down worry about that. My J-frame is basically like my wallet or keys. Not something I necessarily enjoy, but I will never be without it.

Again, give me your opinion on which one to focus on. I don't need any lectures on why you wouldn't do this.

You have to figure if any of these guns are costing you just to own them. I'm working on narrowing down my primary carry/training/competition gun to one specific model. With that said, I bought a Springfield Armory TRP earlier this year. It's my BBQ/occasional range gun, but it's mostly a heirloom piece. I'll pass it onto my kids, and it will always stay in the family. I've always wanted a 1911, just because, so I won't sell it. Period. I think you would regret selling the Wilson. Sure, you can get another. But you said that it is the finest shooting handgun that you own, and the most capable in your hands. That is a pretty solid endorsement right there. Plus, I can tell that it has a good deal of sentimental value (based on your thread).

I would probably sell the HK45C. Does it make sense to have it along with your VP9/P7M8? Don't you also have a G19? I would probably sell that too.

Keep the WC, P7M8 and VP9. Sell the 45C, buy 10,000 rounds of 9mm and 8 more HKP30 mags and run the VP9 exclusively. Stick the other guns in the safe, and shoot them on occasion. If you are seriously considering selling your WC, I am highly interested ;)

But if you REALLY have to sell them all, keep the VP9.

Palmguy
08-17-14, 18:51
Given the choice of three 8 rd pistols or a 15 rd pistol as my only real gun, I'd take the one with 15 rounds.

ETA: I agree 100% with the post above me.

MistWolf
08-17-14, 18:58
If the plan is to get back to the basics of shooting and self defense shooting in particular, there is only one answer- Keep the VP9
-9mm is cheaper to shoot than the 45 ACP
-It holds more rounds than the 1911, HK45s or P7
-Trigger is good enough to spoil you
-Mags are available
-P7 is a good handgun, but if it breaks, replacement parts are difficult to get. You said yourself, it's out of production. I've also heard knowledgeable owners speak of certain critical parts being somewhat fragile. The P7 is cool, but quirky and the gas chamber needs to be kept clean of carbon fouling

However, there are good reasons to exercise self discipline and focus your training on the VP9, not spending crazy money on the other pistols while keeping them.

I cannot give any good empirical reasons to keep the 1911 other than it's a damn fine weapon. Sentiment gives no advantage in a gunfight. But, it is ingrained in my DNA as an American and if I had to go out to last gunfight, I want a 1911 in my fist. Those who know, understand what I mean.

The P7 is a good, quality handgun but being out of production with no support or spares, makes a poor choice for a primary self defense pistol. Keep it as a collector's piece as there is a good chance it will increase in value.

I don't know much about the HK45c so you're on your own with this one.

But if your goal is to focus on a single handgun for self defense and training, the VP9 is the clear choice

MattDFW
08-17-14, 19:08
As much as I love my HK45c, in this situation I would keep the VP9 due to capacity and overall performance.

bjxds
08-17-14, 19:12
I voted to keep the HKP7M8, simply because of its rarity, AND since you stated you will keep the J-Frame, I assume you have the CCW covered, so that is obviously very important to you. You stated you wanted to focus on one gun, but focus on what?

AND No lectures, but when you decide you want another one one again, the one that would be the hardest to replace is the HKP7M8!

KentuckyWindage
08-17-14, 19:14
Edit...

amac
08-17-14, 19:19
We're not talking end of times here, so I don't see capacity as an issue. I don't know much about the P7, but it seems more of a safe queen than a shooter - sell it. Striker fired, high capacity nines are a dime a dozen - dump the VP9. So, that leaves the full size vs. the compact. From following your thread about breaking your CQB, you seem to have found a tack driver that delivers and stands up to your rigorous reliability standards. It may be less concealable than the 45c, but you have the J frame that can go with you anywhere, anytime. I'm sure you can conceal the 1911 in winter months. I'm not a fan of compact 45's and have no experience with the HK you have, but I'm a huge fan of the 1911. I'd dump the HK and stick with the Wilson. As you've said, it's the perfect 1911! :)

KentuckyWindage
08-17-14, 19:22
Owning basically the same three guns I would sell my wilson combat cqb last. I love all three and shoot them all well the wilson is the finest weapon I have ever used.
http://i60.tinypic.com/af90rd.jpg

ralph
08-17-14, 19:43
I'm a big fan of more BB's in the gun... keep the VP9, Put the Wilson in the safe, and give it to one of your kids down the road, sell the rest.. you should have enough to buy more mags, ammo. OR If you don't reload consider it.. We're never more than another school shooting away from ammo of just about any kind drying up for a year or so.. Having a press in the basement, with a stockpile of supplies can keep you shooting when a lot of other folks are down to shooting airsoft for practice...

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 20:13
The ammo drought was one of the reasons I swung hard to the .45. It was often the only thing available around here. From Jan-sept of 13 the only 9mm available was Premium. I was always able to find .45. Hmmmm.

YVK
08-17-14, 20:27
The ammo drought was one of the reasons I swung hard to the .45. It was often the only thing available around here. From Jan-sept of 13 the only 9mm available was Premium. I was always able to find .45. Hmmmm.

Which is why you have to keep one in 9 and one in a 45. If selling in part is a financial decision, then keeping only one has a good chance of backfiring monetarily - either with higher cost of 45 practice if you were left with 45 only, or with paying scalper's prices for 9 during droughts.
I sold my P7 a couple of years ago and, despite all emotional attachment then, I don't miss it a bit.
45c is just a good gun, but nothing more.
I'd wait a bit to see if anything surfaces with VP9 and I'd keep it and CQB.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 20:30
You know, I do have a 9mm Springfield Range officer. Hmm.

Biggy
08-17-14, 20:41
I am not quite 100% sure on this (so someone correct me if I am wrong), but I believe people like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, Hilton Yam, DocGKR among other like gun pro's have gravitated away from the 45acp to the 9mm for their personal carry guns in recent years. I also believe the FBI is looking to adopt a new 9mm pistol. If your like me, you have to ask yourself why ? I know magazine capacity isn't everything, but I also believe the way thing are these days with more situations where you might face multiple perps, it might very well give you an edge and help you survive. If you are limited to ball ammo as in the military I would definitely consider the HK 45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ViI2UWFKg
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1594

Amp Mangum
08-17-14, 20:42
Keep the Wilson.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 20:53
Biggy

I know Ken carries .45 but often trains 9mm because it is easy on his arthritis (although he blames it on his magnum .44 days)
I know Hilton gravitated away from .45 because of Tennis Elbow
I know Larry trains with whatever the majority of his students brings (Glocks)
I know the FBI is concerned about agents who are having difficulty qualifying with .40.

I think it is interesting that the military is looking for bigger while the civilian world is looking for smaller. In the recent past the Joint Combat Pistol Trials seemed to be focused on adopting a .45 and the SEALS picked the HK45c and the Marines picked up a new 1911. Interesting to me because these seemed to be driven by wartime experience rather than administrative reasons.

MistWolf
08-17-14, 21:01
Also because the .mil is limited to FMJ bullets. The 45 FMJ has an edge over the 9mm FMJ in terminal ballistics.

(I think the .mil should change from a round nosed pistol bullet to a semi-wadcutter with a wide meplat to find the improvement they are looking for)

brushy bill
08-17-14, 21:07
Also because the .mil is limited to FMJ bullets. The 45 FMJ has an edge over the 9mm FMJ in terminal ballistics.

(I think the .mil should change from a round nosed pistol bullet to a semi-wadcutter with a wide meplat to find the improvement they are looking for)
What means "meplat"?

mrosamilia
08-17-14, 21:07

I agree with this as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 21:23
I agree. But I suspect the .45 hp shares a similar advantage over 9mm hp. Although I have heard the jello guys argue against this.

mrosamilia
08-17-14, 21:24
Greg, this is the debate that will I'm sure rage on forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 21:41
Haha. I take whatever side is losing the popularity contest at the moment!

Kain
08-17-14, 21:47

In that case keep all the pistols and buy more! Lol. That is my plan, hell I've even started investing in mags for guns I don't yet own!

MSparks909
08-17-14, 22:03

So what pistols do you have now?
HK 45C
WC 1911
SA 1911
HK P7M8
HK VP9
J-Frame

Any others? I've seen a Glock 19 in some of your comparison posts.

MistWolf
08-17-14, 22:03
I agree. But I suspect the .45 hp shares a similar advantage over 9mm hp. Although I have heard the jello guys argue against this.

The FBI terminal performance requirements levels the playing field. Both calibers meet the minimum and maximum penetration and both have similar damage profiles from expansion. Maybe the 45 has an edge but reports from reliable sources show the difference in actual shootings is minimal. As a die-hard 45 ACP fan, I've finally had to face the facts that the 9mm has an advantage in recoil, capacity and cost, while causing nearly as much damage as a 45 when both use expanding bullets meeting FBI criteria, that is foolish to ignore,

What means "meplat"?

It's a French word (noun) meaning "the flat of". Back in the 19th century, even conical bullets had a flat. Today, it is also used to identify the tip of any bullet, even those without a flat. Still, it's most common usage is when talking about large diameter bullets with tips that are flat. A large, flat meplat causes more tissue destruction that a spire point or round nose designs when talking about non-expanding bullets. Dangerous game bullets are usually long, heavy solids with a large meplat for deep penetration and a destructive wound channel with through and through penetration, even on such game as water buffalo.

If limited to non-expanding bullets in your pistol, a semi-wad cutter with a large meplat (like the bullet Elmer Keith designed) will have better terminal performance than a round nose. The problem is, round nosed bullets feed more reliably
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608004985248415801&pid=1.7

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 22:19
while causing nearly as much damage as a 45

:cool:

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 22:23
Any others? I've seen a Glock 19 in some of your comparison posts

Borrowed. I have deglockified myself after years of self-abuse. I shot Glocks the majority of the time from the mid 00s until the beginning of 2013. Fortunately I was able to avoid the whole Gen4 debacle by having solid Gen 3 17s. My last Gen 2 19 was a total nightmare of btf.

I have, in addition to those listed above....

Colt Rail Gun (works good, harrison sights, etc) Nice piece but a bit bulky.

Vtac 9mm (on Consignment)

M&P .45 (on consignment)

I think that is it other than my J0frames.

MistWolf
08-17-14, 22:24
:cool:

Heh! I AM a die-hard 45 fan!

The difference in terminal performance between an expanding 9mm bullet and expanding 45 bullet is smaller than the differences between the two using round nosed FMJs

Linkscoach
08-17-14, 22:24
I basically did this summer what you're talking about doing but with different brands of pistols. I kept a Gen 4 19 because it's easy to carry, I shoot it well, my wife and kids can shoot it if need be, and it fills multiple rolls. I also kept a west German P220 because I really enjoy shooting it and I've had it a long time. It's a .45 which gives me caliber options. I also kept a J frame and a Shield. I pocket carry the J everywhere legal and I add the Shield if clothing allows. I hadn't planned in keeping the Shield and the Glock but I have legitimate reasons for having both around.

I know if I sold everything but the J and one other pistol I would end up buying something else eventually. I know what I have is reliable and that I shoot them well. Those are two very important factors in my book.

AztecViking
08-17-14, 22:32
I vote Wilson, and the only reason I say this is because, for me, of all those pistols mentioned a 1911 is the funnest gun to own and shoot. If I was in the same position, I'd regret selling the Wilson more than any other you mentioned.

Leaveammoforme
08-17-14, 22:36
If I was to put all my eggs in one basket I would use a basket that has stood the test of time. A basket that has had flaws identified and addressed. A basket that feels like a basket should. A basket that I have used for hundreds of trips to the market. A basket that I know inside and out. Last thing I would want is all my eggs hitting the ground because the bottom split out of my new state of the art bag.

I would keep the Wilson. Use J-frame for carry. Buy 9mm ammo ,for stockpile, occasionally as I had a few extra bucks.

brushy bill
08-17-14, 22:36
Thanks for the education Mist Wolf. Learned something.

Ed L.
08-17-14, 22:44
I'm going to moderate myself, lest I get in trouble for displaying a bad attitude.

and then you write:

You know, I do have a 9mm Springfield Range officer. Hmm.

So you are not selling off all your handguns but one because you didn't even list the 9mm Springfield Range officer, and probably one or two other handguns.

Frankly, I don't see how all these guns are costing you money as the money is already spent.

I'm sure you like all of them each for their own unique merits.

All one needs to do is look at your thread on the Wilson CQC and it's obvious you really enjoy the gun. And now your considering getting rid of it because you have too many guns?

Unless you need the money or want to spend the money on another gun, I wouldn't worry about it.

It seems like you are always buying and selling guns, hating yourself for it, then buying and selling more guns.

I know so many people who will tell me how incredible this or that gun that they used to have was--a model they might have bought or sold the most times.

Have I said that I'm not the most helpful person in the world lately?

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 23:14
I don't need any lectures on why you wouldn't do this. LOL. I guess you decided I DID need a lecture.

Seriously, I didn't mention the Springfield 9mm because there was absolutely no chance it was staying around.

Ed L.
08-17-14, 23:28
LOL. I guess you decided I DID need a lecture.

Believe me, that was no lecture on my part.

I'll answer it this way: If I could only keep one gun of the list above it would be the HKVP9.

If I could only keep 2 guns from the above list it would be the HKVP9 and the HK45C.

And I've owned every gun on that list.

But if I didn't need to sell any of the guns on that list I would keep them all.

nimdabew
08-17-14, 23:28

I sold all my pistols and am working on getting a SP-01 to accompany my P-02. The P-02 is a fantastic pistol.

TehLlama
08-17-14, 23:32
Seriously, I didn't mention the Springfield 9mm because there was absolutely no chance it was staying around.

That was an assumption for me.
More helpful might be incrementally picking out which of those four could most easily be parted with and having minimal effect on outside stuff - of those I'd single out the HK45c as having most of the positive features replicated in the CQB or in the VP9 (in many ways, the ammo cost of the 1911, the few meh items of modern HK guns like the VP9 [ good but not great sights, good but not great trigger, and for me that magazine release that breaks the deal ] ), finally the HK45 doesn't exactly conceal well.
In terms of practical effectiveness, the P7M8 is the easiest to write off (limited capacity, parts & magazine availability, WML incompatibility), but if you want to look at safe queen curatorship, that one is in without hesitation, because they're works of art. Another side benefit is that if you want a partial replacement for the J-frame in colder months, it will conceal pretty well.
The Wilson still lacks WML friendliness, has high ammo cost, and is a large heavy thing to run concealed - sure it has an amazing trigger, but that platform is still inherently heavy and the king of feedway stoppages. In the grand scheme of resale value and replaceability, you can sell it for OK cash, and should you decide to replace it, Bill and company can set you up with a true custom build to replace it later on.

I love 1911's and stuff in 45ACP, but of those four the two .45 pistols you have are the easiest to justify parting with.

MistWolf
08-17-14, 23:34
LOL. I guess you decided I DID need a lecture

However, Ed makes an excellent point. I know far more people who regret what firearms they sold, than those who regret what they bought. Many people, including several in this thread, talk about how you can sell a certain pistol now because it's still in production and can be replaced later. I can tell you from experience it doesn't work that way.

I think it would be better to spend the energy figuring out what you want from a handgun and focus on the one that gives you that. You can always worry about what to sell later

MSparks909
08-17-14, 23:38
If sentimental value is being ignored and you truly want to sell everything else in order to focus on one platform, keep the VP9. Use the money from selling the other guns to buy another VP9. Dedicate one as a training/class/competition/"beater" gun that will get the high round count. Run 1-2000 through the other VP9 and dedicate that one for carry/HD. Set both guns up exactly the same, stock up on magazines and call it good.

I'm too much of a gun enthusiast to sell my guns that sit in the safe most of the time. I just can't see parting with them. I budgeted for all of them, and on occasion, I will take them out and shoot them. I'm in a pretty similar boat as you; I'm looking to narrow things down to one striker fired polymer 9mm to focus 85-90% of my pistol shooting on for the next decade or so. I'm currently deciding between my G17, FNS 9 and VP9. Shooting the 17 exclusively right now; grew up on Glocks so I'm sticking with what's familiar and what I can currently carry/train/compete with. Taking a 2 day Proctor Performance Pistol class in September so I didn't want to switch to a new platform before that (and I also don't have holsters/mag carriers for the FNS). My VP9 holsters should be here mid-late October. I plan to do a thorough comparison between the 3 guns and I'll decide what stays/what goes after that.

But my 1911, P226 are staying in the safe indefinitely.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-17-14, 23:57
I think it would be better to spend the energy figuring out what you want from a handgun and focus on the one that gives you that.

They all do. I would be absolutely fine with any of them.

MistWolf
08-18-14, 00:24
They all do. I would be absolutely fine with any of them.

Then you've answered your own question :cool:

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-18-14, 00:38
Nope. I may go all Harvey Dent on this one.

At this point it appears ~ 30% of M4 Carbine poll takers love God and the American way and the rest pretty much like 9mm.

Surf
08-18-14, 03:32
I have only sold 2 firearms in the last 20 years and I am still sick over both of them, so I have a hard time overall with your decision. However without more lecture, I would keep the Wilson. If anyone needs an explanation as to why, well they probably don't get it, or never will and an attempt and at an explanation would be a total waste of time. You will regret that one sale more than the others. Sometimes it isn't always about being practical. ;)

Oh, I will say that everyone who knows me in person or via online interaction, knows I am a heavy Glock 9mm shooter, however I have moved my unit over to G21's, starting tomorrow AM as a matter of fact. Here goes another long 10 week cycle.

Alpha Sierra
08-18-14, 04:19
CZ P-07 or P-09 depending on how big you are (from the concealment aspect)

Talon167
08-18-14, 05:07
Keep the VP9. It's the most utilitarian of the group. Unlike the others, there's nothing it can't do, really.

HK makes the best 45 cal guns out there, IMO*. But, mags are expensive and you're only going to get nine or 11 rounds into it; nine when carrying. It'll also be expensive to feed.

*Possibly short of a great 1911. But it still has the same shortcomings in capacity and cost (ie, how much you could get from selling it).

The P7 is the wonder gun, but - and I have no experience with this, but just from reading - are you going to be able to take any high round count training classes with a gun that gets too hot after 50-100 rounds?

The VP9 is the do-it-all handgun of the list.

mrvip27
08-18-14, 05:32
Keep the Wilson as per other thread.

Keep VP9.

Sell the rest.

Urban_Redneck
08-18-14, 06:07
Keep the Wilson. If we ever go to war with Germany again, every part in a 1911 has been produced domestically for 100 years.

Trajan
08-18-14, 06:36
Do you actually carry any of these guns, or just the J-frame?

P7 would be the last gun I'd sell.

Oh, I will say that everyone who knows me in person or via online interaction, knows I am a heavy Glock 9mm shooter, however I have moved my unit over to G21's, starting tomorrow AM as a matter of fact. Here goes another long 10 week cycle.
If you don't mind me asking; why is that?

Alpha Sierra
08-18-14, 06:54
Another option: P-01 for carry, SP-01 for games. Send them both to Cajun Gun Works for a tune up.

richiecotite
08-18-14, 07:21
I'd keep the hk45c,

WC 1911'd will be available. VP9s will be around. Easily replaceable.

I see hk45c for $800 all day, depends on how much you have into the gun, could take a healthy hit.

The 45c is .45Super rated too, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

08-18-14, 07:34
My 2 cents:
Keep a 9mm and a .45. I've always liked the HKP7 but never owned one. They do have delicate parts. If you are into real training with your pistols you will want pistols that can hold up. The P7 also heats up quickly during longish strings of fire. To my mind the .45 has a better home in a full size pistol so I keep the Wilson. You need a 9mm so keep the VP9.
After the ammo shortage I diversified my caliber choices. Still don't have a .17HMR, which is the only rimfire I could find on the shelves during the shortage.

Sam
08-18-14, 08:22
Seriously, here's my thinking:

1. Keep the HP P7. It's a rare bird, a collectible. Whether you shoot it or not, it will appreciate in price. They're over $1200 right now and going up up up. Wait until you're laid off, close to bankrupt, house near repossessed before selling it.
2. Sell the HK 45C first. You're never going to carry it or shoot it a lot. You're a J frame man.
3. Shoot the snot out of the VP9, when you're tired of it (next year), then sell it. Wonder plastic 9mm are a dime a dozen. There will be the next big thing coming next year. Use it as a "flipper" gun.
4. Sell the COLT RAIL GUN. You said it's bulky, so you'll never carry it.
5. Keep the Wilson CQB. You shoot it very well, it runs like a top. Sell it before you sell the P7.
6. Sell me the Springfield Range Officer, cheap. :)

ralph
08-18-14, 08:54

Consider yourself lucky...During the ammo drought, 9mm,.45acp,.40, 5.56/.223 were very difficult to find in my area, (Wal-Mart had nothing) and when found, it was usually at scalpers prices..(the exception being Grant who would get ammo in from time to time, at normal prices But, it would be quickly sold out, usually within days) Having a Dillon 550 in the basement saved my ass, literally.. I'll admit I was down to my last 1000 of 9mm,.45 bullets when they started showing up again, But I had enough stashed to get by until things settled down.. I've since restocked, and I'll always try to keep enough on hand just in case.. No matter how many pistol/rifles you have, unless you have ammo, they're nothing but paperweights.

samuse
08-18-14, 12:02
Selling that CQB and keeping any of that other junk would be stupid.

I'm still not sure why you haven't sold all that other junk to buy more 45 ammo yet.

The CQB has already proven to ridiculously reliable and easy/fun to shoot, parts availability will NEVER be an issue, you already have it, you will never stop comparing everything to it for the rest of your life.

Once you experience a truly good 1911, nothing else will satisfy.

Seriously. This is the USA.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-18-14, 12:12
Samuse speaks wise words

Guinnessman
08-18-14, 13:09
Greg,

After the recent ammo crisis after Newtown, I have decided to hedge against future ammo shortages with a 9mm, 45 ACP, and .38 special. Around here 45 ACP was available, while .38 and 9mm were hard to find. Thankfully, I had a good stock of 9mm to use while I waited for ammo to become readily available.

Right now I am shooting the HK P30 and a Smith and Wesson J-frame. After selling my M&P 45 Newtown impulse buy, I missed having a .45 around, and I really missed having a 1911. So, one day I was reading this site, and some dude started trying to break a Wilson Combat CQB. Well, several months after that thread was started, I finally ordered the Wilson CQB that I have wanted for years.

Here is my bare minimum:

1. HK P30
2. J-frame
3. 1911 because 'Merica!!!!

The wait time for a CQB that meets your specs is at a minimum of 6-12 months. The wait combined with the success of your "Break my Wilson CQB" thread would make that gun the keeper.

Buy P30/VP9 Magazines and sell the VP9. That way you have the magazines on hand for a gun that you may buy again.

Sell the HK45c since you do not plan on carrying that gun. The HK45c is a fine gun, but spare parts are easier to acquire for a 1911, although those parts would require fitting. If you ever get the bug to buy another HK45c, you could always find a deal on a used gun.

Keep the P7 in the family.

Striker
08-18-14, 13:18

If you feel you have to do this, keep the Wilson and any other 1911 you have as a backup/alternative. Why? Because you have the most confidence in this pistol when it counts. If you don't have one, get yourself a 9mm 1911 for cheaper alternative practice and roll on.

Second, keep the HK P7 because it's rare, you like it and it's easy to conceal in a pinch.

Sell the others if you wish.

BigRed82
08-18-14, 19:04
Greg, I have enjoyed reading your posts both here and on other sites since I first got into "combat" handguns and bought a P2000 in 2007. (and subsequently bought a P226, G19, P228, G17, G34, G26, DW1911, G19, Colt, CQB, G17, PPQ etc etc - all sold.) The only gun that I truly regret parting with is the one that was pure bliss to shoot - the CQB. I tried to buy it back several times, but to no avail. Sure, I could get another one, but I can't get THAT one. And I had absolute confidence in it, as it never let me down.

I think you posted a picture in another thread that contains what I think, in my humble nonexpert opinion, would meet all your needs and leave you happy at the end of the day.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3847/14644796881_9d1876cd2e_h.jpg

Those three cover all your bases, each in a different caliber and providing a different purpose.

Best of luck with your decision!

tuck
08-18-14, 19:43
Greg, I have enjoyed reading your posts both here and on other sites since I first got into "combat" handguns and bought a P2000 in 2007. (and subsequently bought a P226, G19, P228, G17, G34, G26, DW1911, G19, Colt, CQB, G17, PPQ etc etc - all sold.) The only gun that I truly regret parting with is the one that was pure bliss to shoot - the CQB. I tried to buy it back several times, but to no avail. Sure, I could get another one, but I can't get THAT one. And I had absolute confidence in it, as it never let me down.

I think you posted a picture in another thread that contains what I think, in my humble nonexpert opinion, would meet all your needs and leave you happy at the end of the day.

Those three cover all your bases, each in a different caliber and providing a different purpose.

Best of luck with your decision!

I think this is the best advice given so far. However, if you must sell all but one, keep the Wilson.

Trajan
08-18-14, 21:51
Consider yourself lucky...During the ammo drought, 9mm,.45acp,.40, 5.56/.223 were very difficult to find in my area, (Wal-Mart had nothing) and when found, it was usually at scalpers prices..(the exception being Grant who would get ammo in from time to time, at normal prices But, it would be quickly sold out, usually within days) Having a Dillon 550 in the basement saved my ass, literally.. I'll admit I was down to my last 1000 of 9mm,.45 bullets when they started showing up again, But I had enough stashed to get by until things settled down.. I've since restocked, and I'll always try to keep enough on hand just in case.. No matter how many pistol/rifles you have, unless you have ammo, they're nothing but paperweights.

Should have come up here. Everything except for 9x19. Was so bad I was contemplating buying a G22. Seriously...

125 mph
08-18-14, 22:32
I've never shot or handled a P7, so my comments don't apply to that gun, but aside from that...

The Wilson is the only gun I'd consider a work of art. HK45 is a great gun, I'm sure the VP9 is too. But at the end of the day, they're just plastic pistols. The only guns I really regret selling are 1911s. I still feel retarded for selling a Rock River 1911. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me want to go headbutt my brick wall. I don't even remember what I bought afterwards. What an idiot.

Keep the Wilson. I sold an HK45c and don't really regret it. It's a nice gun for sure, but I don't want to slam my head into a wall over it like I do the 1911.

Actually **** all that. Sell the Wilson to me.

l8apex
08-19-14, 00:05
I'd keep the VP9, sell the rest and buy a second VP9 with tons of ammo. Shoot the crap out both and be the first to get to GM level with a VP9.

ralph
08-19-14, 08:23
You know, Greg, BigRed has a point...why not keep the Wilson, the VP9, and the J-frame? You'll have everything you'll probably ever need, you could sell the rest, buy ammo. This way you'll still have a nice selection of handguns, that should keep you busy training with for years to come... All you have to do is say "no" to the next handgun that calls your name at the gunshop....:nono:

GregP220
08-19-14, 08:42
One gun :haha:

Beat Trash
08-19-14, 08:49

From a purely analytical perspective, the VP9 and the 642 would cover all of your bases. But an excellent 1911 is a true joy to shoot. I also have a Wilson in my safe that I seldom shoot and never carry. I keep it because when I do drag it out, it brings back a lot of memories of simpler times, and it's enjoyable. I could never afford to replace it for what I paid for it when I bought it in 2002 (pre-owned but unfired).

It is OK to own a gun for the shear enjoyment of it.

If times are tough money wise, sell off everything but the VP9 and the 642. If not, then sell off anything that is problematic or boring. Keep what you need and what you enjoy.

samuse
08-19-14, 09:32
I hate parts availability problems, so the 1911 works out for me.

The VP9 has been out for like three weeks and everyone is going orgasmic over 'em. WTF??

A 1911 never goes out of style and that Wilson is workhorse. Greg could literally try for the rest of his life and likely never wear out that frame and slide.

MegademiC
08-19-14, 20:41
Vp9. It's the best all around. You said it's the fastest, and it has the best capacity and should have a lot of upcoming support.

If ammo cost is not an issue, maybe the Wilson. Personally, I'd go vp all day.

brushy bill
08-19-14, 21:41
I hate parts availability problems, so the 1911 works out for me.

The VP9 has been out for like three weeks and everyone is going orgasmic over 'em. WTF??

A 1911 never goes out of style and that Wilson is workhorse. Greg could literally try for the rest of his life and likely never wear out that frame and slide.

This is a good point and one I also mentioned. Can't even locate a recoil spring assembly for my VP9 yet (anyone with source PM please). Parts are important.

chilic82
08-19-14, 22:47
VP9 is just what u said= good, but boring. No nostalgia,or pride of ownership.Doesnt do anything a lot of other guns aren't capable of.
P7 is nice. I wouldn't sell it unless I really needed the money.
HK45 is a nice gun, sell one today,pick up another tomorrow. Basically like the VP9, a cookie cutter gun that's easily replaceable and boring.
The CQB is special. You said it yourself that you shoot it the best and the easiest. It's a "top shelf" gun and a gun that will most likely never be replaced by the next hotness. It has it all,accuracy,style,nostalgia,reliability,and tons of replacement parts and accessories. You have the J Frame for carry and the CQB for the nightstand/range. Not much else is needed.

mrvip27
08-19-14, 23:30
The more I read this thread, it makes me want to consolidate again! Lol

skipper49
08-20-14, 08:11
The more I read this thread, it makes me want to consolidate again! Lol

Me too, but that's a REALLY tough move. Wouldn't even dream of it, but I've been out of work (for the first time in my life, and I'm 65) for the past 2 months, with at least another month to go, after getting hit with Guillain Berre' Syndrome. That makes trimming down the stable a LOT more practical for me.
In your case, my heart voted Wilson, but my head voted VP9. One thing though, if you decide on the Wilson, quit trying to break it!!
I'm really enjoying this thread.

Skip

Biggy
08-20-14, 09:01
I would only go down to keeping two pistols for self defense. For me they would both be in 9mm. Size wise, I like to have one compact, something like the (G19) for CC and one full size G17, VP9,etc.
To me, there is no right or wrong decision in whatever you or someone else chooses to do. People go through life collecting different things that give them enjoyment, and at some point, usually when they are older, most people gradually begin to sell their things (guns,etc.) off or give them to their kids, and at some point they also will sell them off. And hopefully not for pennies on the dollar. I have also had nice custom 1911's in the past and they were great pistols and I enjoyed them, but now they are all gone and *I* really don't miss them at all. I would only say, don't be in a hurry about it.

Psalms144.1
08-20-14, 09:58
Of the guns you listed, I think the VP9 is the most logical "one gun" solution. But, I'd be dipped in dog poop if I EVER sold my P7M8 - they're nigh on irreplaceable. So, I'd ditch EVERYTHING but the P7M8. On second thought, you're going to HATE yourself for selling off that WILSON, so keep it as well. So... just ditch the HK45c, and use that money to buy 9mm ammo. Put the Wilson and the P7 in the safe and prepare to hand them off to your kids someday.

Regards,

Kevin

Talon167
08-20-14, 10:38
So OP, what's it going to be?

Redhat
08-20-14, 11:30
Hey guys,

If forced to choose just one keeper, I'd go with the Wilson...rather keep both it and the P7 though as both are harder to come by if you had regrets. The others can be pretty easily replaced.

PSBT4117
08-20-14, 13:10
I would say keep them all. I end up training with 9mm Glocks mostly. I own a bunch of other handguns just because I like owning, shooting, and working on a variety of firearms. I would pick one to train on exclusively but hang onto the others.

Big A
08-20-14, 13:45
I voted for the Wilson CQB as that is THE 1911 I would buy but I just can't justify the price for an 8 shot pistol.

My second choice (and to be honest what I would really chose) would be the VP9. It is the most practical of the bunch.

TRD
08-20-14, 18:30
Keep the P7M8. It's a classic and simply awesome to have.

MountainRaven
08-20-14, 20:54
I went P7.

I really liked mine and still kick myself for having gotten rid of it. Perfect carry gun, IMHO.

KentuckyWindage
08-20-14, 20:57
So OP, what's it going to be?
This....

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-20-14, 23:22
Thinkin'!

Amur
08-21-14, 10:11
Well one reason you are selling is clearly for $capital raising purposes.

Look at it this way:

Average value of the gun(just dumb estimates consider accessories also)
Wilsion: 2.5k
P7M8: 2k
HK45c 1k
VP9: $600

So you can
1. raise 4.5k and keep the VP and 45c
2. raise 3.5k and keep just the Wilson

Seems to me like #1 above has two guns vs one. Give you a 9 and 45 for ammo avialability and puts an extra G in your pocket/credit card bill.

I think you have to ask yourself: are you more focused on actual effcinecy or more focused on your sentimental enjoyment and pride in your collection. Neither is better or worse. One of my favorite parts about guns is the excitement of passing them down to my son one day.

From a pure efficient perspective the answer is 1 above or maybe even better sell the 45c buy a backup/training vp9 and a metric sh*t ton of 9mm now.

Let's all be honest. With proper training every single one of those guys will perform the necessary task at the necessary time and have little to no practical differance other than you ability to use them and understand their individule strengths and weaknesses.

I currently only own a P30 LEM and an HK45c LEM and feel very happy.

Also, I think all of these guns can be rebought and sold. I would probably put a slight value on owning high cap 9mm mags because those have a higher risk of future restriction.

Good luck sir! Follow your heart, search your sole, and use the money to buy a sweet ass rifle!!

ScottD
08-21-14, 11:39
I sort of have the same reaction as Amur. It seems like the CQB is worth almost as much as the other three combined. If getting money back is a significant part of the equation, then the CQB would have to go. If you decide you want another 1911 in the future, you can still get a pretty nice one for a lot less than the CQB (or you can pay the big bucks again for the Wilson). The 45C and VP9 will be easily replaceable for a long time if you decide to go back to them. However, there is no substitute for a P7M8, and they probably will only continue to get more expensive and less available.

Personally, I would keep the P7M8 and VP9. If I was forced to pick just one, my practical side would very reluctantly pick the VP9 over the P7M8 (assuming you are keeping no other guns besides the j frame).

edit: Strike that. Saw that you do have other guns. I vote keep the P7M8.

QuickStrike
08-21-14, 12:37
This is too drastic a measure, so you're inevitably going to fail and just buy more later imo.

Be resonable. Keep the 1911 and the PV9 at least.

Exiledviking
08-21-14, 13:12
This is too drastic a measure, so you're inevitably going to fail and just buy more later imo.

Be resonable. Keep the 1911 and the PV9 at least.
I fully agree. I've been down this road several times...

markm
08-21-14, 13:24

I personally LIKE this idea. I'm not a fan, at all, of owning a bunch of different pistols.

sadmin
08-21-14, 14:43
Go for it- keep the vp9. It's the best overall self defense choice. Sure the Wilson will be hard to part with but 15 9mm over 8 .45 is hard to argue with. Plus the Wilson will net you a nice return. I went down this road with ARs a couple years ago, it was liberating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed L.
08-21-14, 19:56
I don't see why Greg tortures himself with questions (or polls) about what gun to sell. He obviously enjoys buying, owning and shooting different guns, as well as practicing more than many people out therepractice, and going to training classes. It's not like he is paying rent on any of them.

Kain
08-21-14, 20:07
I don't see why Greg tortures himself with questions (or polls) about what gun to sell. He obviously enjoys buying, owning and shooting different guns, as well as practicing more than many people out therepractice, and going to training classes. It's not like he is paying rent on any of them.

Maybe he is a bit of a masochist? Has anyone checked his bedroom recently? :jester:

Personally, while I have my go to guns, I own a number of platforms and plan on adding more, and I do this for several reasons. . In no particular order. Because I enjoy handling and working with other platforms, second because I like being able to show people different operating systems and platforms, as a means to familiarize myself with platforms when I train with others or teach people who work with different platforms than I generally run, and lastly because it makes my dick hard.

That said, I am a bit of a collector, and unless a gun just never gets shot, doesn't run well enough for ME(I can have kind of high standards), or just does nothing for me, I am generally pretty hard pressed to get rid of it.

125 mph
08-21-14, 22:33
I personally LIKE this idea. I'm not a fan, at all, of owning a bunch of different pistols.

Agreed. I'm moving down to two glock 17s. One to carry one to practice and train with.

I've also been thinking about cutting my ARs back to just one with a 12 inch rail and a red dot. It's a do it all set up (for what I use a 5.56 weapon for), and there is some calm in simplifying my life. Just a few guns to maintain and be proficient with, and there both set ups where the gun largely gets out of my way and lets me focus on the shooting.

Whatever you choose Greg, I hope you're able to settle on what you want. Keep us posted.

T2C
08-21-14, 22:34
Mr. Bell,

I have the same affliction.

I am afraid you are on your own sir.

T2C

Txlur
08-23-14, 15:07
Well, I've owned none of those listed. With that in mind, I'd keep the Wilson, obviously the worst and most awesome choice. I just traded in my civic on a v8 4runner, equally bad and (IMO) supremely awesome. Life is for fun sometimes.

samuse
08-23-14, 15:42
I cut back to two ARs, three 1911s, and two j-frames.

I keep ammo, mags, and guns in two seperate locations should I have a fire or robbery.

Life is just too short to live with boring plastic pistols. Especially when a good built 1911 will outperform...

Chipper78
08-26-14, 19:38
Any updates?

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-14, 19:55
Yep. It is done....

I honored the poll. I am focusing on the HK VP9. I traded the Wilson and Colt Rail gun away for a non-gun item. The Springer 9mm is being sold to a friend. I am keeping the P7M8 in the safe because I have had it for 23 years or so at this point and am going to keep it because it was practically my first pistol and my dad gave it to me. I will be doing a major doodad blowout in the EE so be on the lookout!

MSparks909
08-26-14, 20:10
Yep. It is done....

I honored the poll. I am focusing on the HK VP9. I traded the Wilson and Colt Rail gun away for a non-gun item. The Springer 9mm is being sold to a friend. I am keeping the P7M8 in the safe because I have had it for 23 years or so at this point and am going to keep it because it was practically my first pistol and my dad gave it to me. I will be doing a major doodad blowout in the EE so be on the lookout!

Glad you came to a decision that you're content with. The VP9 should serve you well.

Amur
08-26-14, 20:13
1) I smell VP9 torture test
2) hk45c???

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-14, 20:24
The HK45 s an embarrassing wrinkle. I have a Ti-rant suppressor on the way for it so it is hard to get rid of. I guess if I swap to LEM it will be very similar to the VP9

Chipper78
08-26-14, 20:44
Wow, I hope you honored the poll because you wanted to. You still have your trusty J-frame anyhow.

Sam
08-26-14, 20:48
You didn't disclose that your dad gave you the P7. That should have made it off limit in the first place.

bjxds
08-26-14, 21:01
Yep. It is done....

Greg,

You didn't really only keep one, but I can't blame you. The 2 that I would be interested in are the Wilson (Out of my price range) and the VP9, but since your keeping it......

Nowits time for another poll - How long before you get another Wilson?

Seriously though, Best of Luck

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-14, 21:04
I seriously considered the Wilson --my heart was with it but Wilson needed the gun for three months to fit a extended supressor barrel. That's no fun.

Ed L.
08-26-14, 21:06
Yep. It is done....

It's not April first.

I can't believe you sold or traded away the Wilson as much as you liked it. Seriously, there are medicines that you can take that stop you from selling or trading guns that you love. I'm very disappointed in you.

Ed L.
08-26-14, 21:08
The HK45 s an embarrassing wrinkle. I have a Ti-rant suppressor on the way for it so it is hard to get rid of. I guess if I swap to LEM it will be very similar to the VP9

No, the LEM trigger will not make the HK45/HK45C trigger like the striker fired trigger of the VP9. Just run the HK45/HK45C cocked and locked.

Ed L.
08-26-14, 21:12
You didn't disclose that your dad gave you the P7. That should have made it off limit in the first place.

Then it is definitely off limits.

Kain
08-26-14, 21:16
It's not April first.

I can't believe you sold or traded away the Wilson as much as you liked it. Seriously, there are medicines that you can take that stop you from selling or trading guns that you love. I'm very disappointed in you.

Couldn't have said it better. I've known guys who sold and traded down to a couple guns/calibers. It never lasts.

Anyone want to start taking bets on how long it will before Ol' Greg falls off the wagon and starts buying more pistols?

Guinnessman
08-26-14, 21:20
Couldn't have said it better. I've known guys who sold and traded down to a couple guns/calibers. It never lasts.

Anyone want to start taking bets on how long it will before Ol' Greg falls off the wagon and starts buying more pistols?

I wonder what 1911 Greg will buy to replace "Ruby?" I really enjoyed the "Break my Wilson" thread, but I still look forward to a long VP9 test.

samuse
08-26-14, 21:32
So you sold the Wilson, kept a plastic 9, used to the funds to put bling on a used Porsche?

Might as well get a gold toof to match you new rims.....

MountainRaven
08-26-14, 21:58
Yep. It is done....

RIP, Ruby. I hope she went to a good home.

:cray:

I resemble this remark.

Despite downsizing to just a 9mm and 5.56 some years ago, the quantity of 45 ammo I have has lured me back into owning a 45.

At the same time, my love of 308 keeps drawing me to 308s, which I almost never keep simply because ammo is ridiculous (while 45 is also ridiculous, it is somewhat less ridiculous, being generally comparable in price to 223/5.56). I also have a pile of 7.62x39, so I also almost always have an eye on a Kalshnikov, although I don't think I'd buy one now unless it is the exact specimen I want - namely a Rifle Dynamics with a SureFire 3P and triangle folder.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-14, 22:10
So you sold the Wilson, kept a plastic 9, used to the funds to put bling on a used Porsche?

Might as well get a gold toof to match you new rims.....

That's cold blooded! In my defense, I am selling off my RUF wheels for 10 pound lighter per wheel Fiske wheels. My 911 is pretty Low-bling. I don't even have a Whale Tail.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-14, 22:12
Guys,

I officially give my permission to anyone reading this to kick me in the balls (once) if I buy any gun other than a replacement for a worn out Vp9/Hk45 (or my Jframe!):fie:

125 mph
08-26-14, 22:45
Part of me wants to kick you for selling the Wilson. Isn't there a Ken Hackathorn quote out there about this making you a communist?

In all seriousness though I think it's a great thing that you kept the p7, especially given its history.

Enjoy the VP9!

South
08-27-14, 05:27

Sam
08-27-14, 06:18
Guys,

I officially give my permission to anyone reading this to kick me in the balls (once) if I buy any gun other than a replacement for a worn out Vp9/Hk45 (or my Jframe!):fie:

What is this weird obsession about having your balls struck?

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-27-14, 10:16
Don't Judge me Sam!

Sam
08-27-14, 10:34
Don't Judge me Sam!

Just bustin' your balls. LOL.

Are you going to drive your Porsche up here for the Langdon class? We'll use it in the anti car jacking training portion. :)

Amur
08-27-14, 20:54
Greg Bell.....Heard he is an HK guy ;-)

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-27-14, 21:52
Are you going to drive your Porsche up here for the Langdon class? We'll use it in the anti car jacking training portion

Hell no! You boys get the Civic.

polydeuces
08-28-14, 20:00
I KNOW you said you don't want to hear this, but really, just don't.
Serious. Not trying to be funny.

And I hope I'm not too late - like talking a buddy away from the ledge....You don't want to hear this because you know it's right!

Unless - and this indeed supersedes any argument - if you simply need the cash. Then don't read on....

Don't give in to this temporary moment of weakness.

I went through an identical phase where I decided....."eliminate and stick with one platform!..." So I did, regrettably so.
Sold every Sig, Steyr, Beretta, Colt whatnot I owned.
And not a day goes by I don't regret it. And won't ever do that again.

Because what I found out to my surprise, I made money, suuuure..but ALL that money is LOOOOOOOOOOOONG long gone (bills, gas, stupid shit and more useless temporary crap)...and (shock!) so are the guns!!!!!
Which is the point.
So it's just not worth it.

Perhaps do some separating of the chaff from the wheat, but just eliminate? Never.
Because at this point the 'damage' is done - selling it won't really make it 'better'.

Now just to be clear - I'm not talking AR gear, just pistols and non-AR type rifles.
Really, AR gear is like big-boy baseball cards; buy sell trade, no big deal. That's half the fun.

Sam
08-28-14, 21:22
I KNOW you said you don't want to hear this, but really, just don't.
Serious. Not trying to be funny.

And I hope I'm not too late - like talking a buddy away from the ledge....You don't want to hear this because you know it's right!

Dude you're too late. You should read a few posts above yours. He's sold a couple guns and spent the money on hookers and beers.

SeriousStudent
08-28-14, 21:34
............. He's sold a couple guns and spent the money on hookers and beers.

And the rest of the money he just wasted.

samuse
08-28-14, 21:43
Dude you're too late. You should read a few posts above yours. He's sold a couple guns and spent the money on hookers and beers.

I was a whorin' alcoholic for much of my life. I don't consider any of it money wasted, but I still wouldn't sell my best pistol to put rims on a car.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-28-14, 23:41
This is outrageous, I never drink beer.

Ed L.
08-29-14, 00:20
I've been thinking about starting two polls myself:

1. Should Ed sell more than half of his guns and take up surfing? Would it be better exercise and more productive for him?
--Nice thought but not really, it's at least a 5 or 6 hour drive to anyplace to surf.

2. Since Ed is having major right hand problems (tendonitis-have gotten cortisone shots and such) which is currently aggravated by shooting even a 9mm, should Ed sell his Springfield 10-8 Operator and buy an FN 5.7 just for shooting something bigger than a .22?

polydeuces
08-29-14, 09:56
I hope he got twins.